Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Problem description: I'll be playing a game full screen, and for no apparent reason, I get kicked back to the desktop. The game is still running, but I have to select it on my taskbar to go back to it. I've never tried timing these occurrences, but I'd estimate they happen about once per hour while I'm gaming.

Attempted fixes: I naturally assumed it was a background application grabbing focus, so I've closed each of my background applications one by one in an attempt to single out the troublemaker. This includes: Asus AI Suite, Samsung Magician, Logitech Gaming Software, Virtual CloneDrive, Intel Rapid Storage Technology, EVGA Precision XOC, Asus EZ Update, iCloud, CyberPower PowerPanel, HTC Vive background processes, NVidia Control Panel and GeForce Experience (although these keep restarting themselves after awhile).

I thought it could be a connected device behaving badly, so I've tried disconnecting each of my USB devices one by one. No luck.

Recent changes: I built this PC about 7-8 months ago, and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro. This is pretty much strictly a gaming machine for me, as I do all my office/work related stuff on my laptop. I mostly just installed whatever drivers and applications were associated with my hardware. I can't think of anything I've installed that would cause this kind of issue.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Currently on version 1809 build 17763.195 according to winver.exe, but this has been happening since I first built this system.

System specs: i7-8700K processor OCed to 5.0 GHz (tested and stable), 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, Corsair RM850x PSU, ASUS ROG Maximus X Code motherboard, EVGA 1070ti OCed (tested and stable), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

This is driving me nuts, guys :(. Are there any tools out there that can catch Windows events and maybe determine what's causing this? Would it be in any event logs?

Thanks in advance for any help you super smart folks can offer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try running DDU: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=846

And then installing the latest GPU drivers.

mekyabetsu posted:

Would it be in any event logs?

It's possible something could show up in the application/error logs.

• Locked thread