Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

happy new year, friends

my mom texted me today asking if she could have one of my old consoles so she can practice her hand/eye coordination and work on her reflexes. i haven't seen her play a game since she played mario with me once like ten or so years ago but she is sad now that she can't just "jump in" and play games, however poorly, with my siblings and i anymore when we all get together.

what do you guys think would be good for her? she doesn't have to get good at anything but of course it's no fun if you can never progress. she plays puzzle games on her phone and she has a sharp mind. i also think she's more interested in using a big tv instead of a handheld although she is retired now and goes on long rv trips and probably couldn't easily bring a console.

so far i was thinking:

guitar hero: maybe good? it might help to have something she's familiar with (the songs) and a simple task that can get as challenging as you want. plus i'm no good at these games so she could probably beat me pretty quickly
mario: maybe good. i guess which one depends on whatever console i end up picking up for her.
animal crossing: bad? i can't see her playing every day and i think the daily "chore" aspect of the game is not what she's looking for. maybe it's also too open-ended
wii sports: bad? i know she could do it but "getting fit" and staying active aren't really a challenge for her, and also not what she's looking for

she has my family's old wii already. maybe i pick her up an old ds too for the classic combo? plus they're super cheap.
what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
video games will rot her brain, get her a football

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Get her Undertale bro. Reflexes meet with charming presentation and excellent story-telling from the auteur visionary Toby Fox. She'll laugh, cry, and become a powerful gamer all at the same time. Hell, if she doesn't get enough Undertale, there's a HUGE Undertale role playing community on various discords. Tell your mom I can send an invite if she's interested.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

Get her Undertale bro. Reflexes meet with charming presentation and excellent story-telling from the auteur visionary Toby Fox. She'll laugh, cry, and become a powerful gamer all at the same time. Hell, if she doesn't get enough Undertale, there's a HUGE Undertale role playing community on various discords. Tell your mom I can send an invite if she's interested.

a bullethell?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

get her brain age old people love that poo poo

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
overcooked and overcooked 2 aren't violent and have a relatively simple setup

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Red Dead Redemption 2, fullstop.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The Little Big Planet series is great for mums who otherwise don't play game or like violence. Though if she only has a Wii then maybe Rayman Origins?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

LBP actually sounds pretty good, and I have a PS3 that I never use, too.
Overcooked might not be too bad. Might give it a try.

And I think she used to play Brain Age when it came out. While overall not bad (and I will suggest it to her) It's more of a "five minutes a day" kind of deal and I'm not sure if that's what she's looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. God bless

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Animal Crossing is probably a good one. Or the Sims.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Picross

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also my dad loves Wii Sports and to this day every time I'm home we play a couple rounds of bowling (and over Christmas we discovered archery which was surprisingly fun)

https://twitter.com/zachhammer/status/1065763207560798209

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
racing games seem like a good way to get better coordination

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
platform games, adventure games, action games, you should look at these types of games. puzzle games and super casual stuff seem pretty pointless since shes asking specifically cos she wants to build hand eye coordination

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

If you have a PS3, how about Final Fantasy 13? It requires timing and reflexes but not inordinately, it's a good way to learn to navigate 3D spaces in games, there's a lot to it but it doesn't start out with many mechanics. Also it's cheap and pretty long. Seems like it would work well.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Journey is great for picking up the basics of navigating 3D space. It also encourages exploration and introduces online play in a very relaxed manner. With a Wii you could also mod it and throw in SNES and Gamecube classics, so she can try out a lot of games and see what she likes. Any Zelda is always a great pick for an action adventure game, can't go wrong with A Link to the Past and Wind Waker.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Animal Crossing is probably a good one. Or the Sims.

Yeah i just read about a dudes grandma who had almost a thousand hours on new leaf before the DS died

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Plutonis posted:

Yeah i just read about a dudes grandma who had almost a thousand hours on new leaf before the DS died

More like 3580 hours

https://twitter.com/phubans/status/1080226927355592704

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Playing Puyo Tetris definitely makes me feel like my brain is getting more powerful, that’d be my suggestion

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

And I think she used to play Brain Age when it came out. While overall not bad (and I will suggest it to her) It's more of a "five minutes a day" kind of deal and I'm not sure if that's what she's looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. God bless

Do not be so hasty to disregard Undertale, it's actually cured my SAD several years running now (Fox willing it will get me through many more).

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Sonic

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

we got my dad an nes classic for christmas this year. a while back he was watching people play one at a family gathering and said "i bet i could learn games like this, those 3D ones you guys play nowadays just give me a headache" and a big ol solid snake exclamation popped up over my head. it's in the mail now so hopefully he likes it!

one of the problems i've noticed (anecdotally) when trying to teach people to play games is controller skills. modern controllers require a variety of hand movements that i think a lot of people just don't encounter in everyday activities. you have to learn how to cradle the pad in your hand so that you can easily reach all the buttons, and how to shift your hands slightly so that you can hit all the different chords and combos the game requires. then you have to know when to use the tip of your thumb vs. the base when hitting face buttons, etc

the other thing i've noticed is that for a lot of people, 3D games where the player has to manage camera/perspective changes add an extra layer of learning on top of everything else. one person I know had a lot of difficulty playing Gone Home with an Xbox controller, but then a free weekend of Overwatch came along and she was a natural at using keyboard/mouse, so sometimes it's just finding a way that the newbie's brain "clicks" with the control scheme

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

my mom loved animal crossing and harvest moon. puzzles are good too

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

It would help to know exactly what consoles you have for her

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ya i think the only video game my parents ever bought was tetris for the family NES. they played it too!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

we got my dad an nes classic for christmas this year. a while back he was watching people play one at a family gathering and said "i bet i could learn games like this, those 3D ones you guys play nowadays just give me a headache" and a big ol solid snake exclamation popped up over my head. it's in the mail now so hopefully he likes it!

one of the problems i've noticed (anecdotally) when trying to teach people to play games is controller skills. modern controllers require a variety of hand movements that i think a lot of people just don't encounter in everyday activities. you have to learn how to cradle the pad in your hand so that you can easily reach all the buttons, and how to shift your hands slightly so that you can hit all the different chords and combos the game requires. then you have to know when to use the tip of your thumb vs. the base when hitting face buttons, etc

the other thing i've noticed is that for a lot of people, 3D games where the player has to manage camera/perspective changes add an extra layer of learning on top of everything else. one person I know had a lot of difficulty playing Gone Home with an Xbox controller, but then a free weekend of Overwatch came along and she was a natural at using keyboard/mouse, so sometimes it's just finding a way that the newbie's brain "clicks" with the control scheme

It's January 5th dude. Are you from Egypt or something.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you think about it analog sticks is one of the worst inventions in gaming because it made contards think they could handle 3d games

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my mom likes mario party. it's a family tradition to play a few rounds with me, my mom, my brother, and a non-family friend and then relentlessly team up on the non-family member until they get upset and refuse to play with us anymore

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wario Ware smooth moves is good, I got my own mom into that one. She only had trouble with the 9-volt stages because they really expect you to already know what to do in those old games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I'm thinking I should take over my 3DS XL and my Switch. The Wii is already at her place. She has a big trip coming up so I'm thinking about picking her up an XL DS of some kind if she can see the screen on mine okay. I figure the DS/3DS library is pretty rich with mom-appropriate games. Plus it's small enough to carry around, and a 2DS is pretty cheap. Only downside is if she prefers to play on the TV.
WarioWare is a pretty good suggestion, it teaches those arbitrary twitchy tasks you sometimes have to do. Good for reaction, too.

Thanks again everyone. Lots of genuinely good advice itt.