Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I always assumed, since human towns, dogs, and horses appear in the first book (albeit at a remove) the mice are mimicking human society but have their own mouse traditions which are vaguer.

That or Satan is just their term for snakes, since the snake in the quarry is named Asmodeus.

They keep talking about Satan's Whiskers, so I'm not sure about that.

Also, I've got a real itch for making some redwall TOR cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've been thinking about checking out Adventurer's League at the local game shop. I've never participated in AL before, is it generally pretty decent or is the structure (drop in whenever you can) kind of inherently limiting in an unfun way?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Capfalcon posted:

There used to be a guy in the abbey called Satan, he had real big whiskers. this is a lie

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've been thinking about checking out Adventurer's League at the local game shop. I've never participated in AL before, is it generally pretty decent or is the structure (drop in whenever you can) kind of inherently limiting in an unfun way?

It's very much the tabletop equivalent of PUGing in an MMO. I.E. "This is what you do if you don't have a local group. but you also might be able to find a group doing it.."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Splicer posted:

There used to be a guy in the abbey called Satan, he had real big whiskers. this is a lie

You joke but Redwall has retconned some of the Christian iconography in silly ways like that before. There was a church near Redwall Abbey in the first few books called "Saint Ninian's." Eventually they retconned it to be a misinterpretation of a sign that used to be outside the door saying "This Ain't Ninian's!" because a lazy mouse named Ninian used to live there with his wife. She had built most of the structure and wanted everyone to now what a lazy bum her husband was. The first few letters had worn away with time, so after it was abandoned for a while and rediscovered everyone assumed it was a church.

After the first book, the idea that the animals were animal-sized and lived in a world with humans was kind of quietly phased out. The animals just came up with all their racial :biotruths: and delicious food recipes on their own.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

You joke but Redwall has retconned some of the Christian iconography in silly ways like that before. There was a church near Redwall Abbey in the first few books called "Saint Ninian's." Eventually they retconned it to be a misinterpretation of a sign that used to be outside the door saying "This Ain't Ninian's!" because a lazy mouse named Ninian used to live there with his wife. She had built most of the structure and wanted everyone to now what a lazy bum her husband was. The first few letters had worn away with time, so after it was abandoned for a while and rediscovered everyone assumed it was a church.

So how did that solve the problem, still apparently present, that the mice know what saints and churches are? I read the books in middle school and remember there was a lot of Christianity-feel in the first and less in the latter, but it's been like 20 years...

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

It's very much the tabletop equivalent of PUGing in an MMO. I.E. "This is what you do if you don't have a local group. but you also might be able to find a group doing it.."
One of my friends until very recently did a lot of his gaming through AL. He's upset about a lot of the rule changes they've made for AL characters (PHB+1, how loot works, a checkpoint leveling system which I fully support for home games but in a PUG scenario ensures newcomers will always lag behind the more experienced characters, etc). This also appears to be the source of his belief that wizards are bad in 5e*. The way he's told me, nearly every adventure has traps which eat your spell slots, or environments that force a Charisma save or your spells get immediately countered, or monsters which have 100% immunity to arcane spells, or some other bit of bad adventure design which solely exists to punish people for writing "wizard" at the top of their sheet.

*: He freely admits casters are much better than martials in 5e, he claims AL module design is built around stuffing wizards specifically into lockers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Capfalcon posted:

Also, I've got a real itch for making some redwall TOR cultures.

What system would work for Deptford Mice, where mice are hunted by the literally demonic cat Jupiter, and flee across the countryside to escape his ghost that (I think) possesses a giant corn dolly that strangles innocent children to death.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What system would work for Deptford Mice, where mice are hunted by the literally demonic cat Jupiter, and flee across the countryside to escape his ghost that (I think) possesses a giant corn dolly that strangles innocent children to death.

Is the focus on the journey to escape or a string of setpieces to escape Jupiter?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So how did that solve the problem, still apparently present, that the mice know what saints and churches are? I read the books in middle school and remember there was a lot of Christianity-feel in the first and less in the latter, but it's been like 20 years...

Mostly with "don't think about it, don't talk about it." Obviously they can't excise it as a whole, what the Abbey and the presence of an abbot/abbess and monk animals being a feature of the setting too deeply embedded to remove, but it sort of fades into vaguely Christian background noise. Particularly once the standard plot outline for the books is established and just kind of repeated ad nauseum with different arrangements of the "good" animal species for that book's adventuring party quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
New year, new chat thread!