Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

:swoon: This is fantastic and I love it forever.

Keetron posted:

You never guess what console + game I impuls bought last weekend.

I like the loose feel these have. Also congrat on picking the best starter (which I also picked).

:piaa: this is the first time in years I've seen you draw male characters! Great!

Argue posted:

My fifth oil painting ever, a study of Peter Paul Rubens' Clara Serena. I like how beautifully oil handles but it's a stinky, messy, process, and awful to maintain, so I don't think I'll ever be doing more than one a year; more likely, I'll be doing fewer than that. Much prefer digital/water based.

That's great, I took embarrassingly longer than 4 years to understand that perspective was crucial even when only drawing characters.

I love that study, especially how you rendered the hair. Curiously, I always loved the smell of oils and associated flammable liquids, which was literally the only part of oils I liked.

Also wait, what? You mean I should think about backgrounds BEFORE I start doing them?

Franchescanado posted:

I haven’t contributed in a while, so here’s the stuff I did today while at work:

I lack a lot of confidence with eyes, noses and mouths, and drawing women in general, so here are some practice sketches I did. About 5-10 minutes for each one.

If anyone has advice for eyes, noses and mouths besides ‘just keep drawing them’ or watching Proko, I’m open to it.

Lofi got here before me -you gotta draw bigger if you want to put in all the detail. Alternatively, if you keep drawing at this size, look at faces as reference and only ink in the darkest parts of the face you can see. You'll notice that leaves out much of the defining features, like nose bridges and lip outlines, but makes for a more realistic approach. If you want to go cartoony, I tend to just draw the shape of the mouthline (with added thickness for full lips) and a small short shadow to indicate where the lower lip travels.

To contribute, here's some progress shots of a longboard design that's a christmas present for my bro (ignore the actual piece of wood and red lines, the red lines indicate where the fastenings and wheels go on the board so I don't put too much detail in them and the board is there for the shape):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

fuuuck, that's gonna look so good! How are you getting the image onto the deck?

lofi fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 28, 2019

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So we were talking in Discord, and I used the phrase Drawnuary. It looks like it was a thing about 4 or 5 years ago, but never took off the way that Inktober did. Should we try to make it a thing?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 29, 2019

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
What would "Dawnuary" entail?

My wife loves snails so I drew her a party snail on the outside of her Christmas gift.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Drawing once a day in January. We can do a prompt list if people like those.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

fuuuck, that's gonna look so good! How are you getting the image onto the deck?

Yeah that's what he said too but I thought he was flattering me to keep my interest up. It turns out that when you order a bit skating wood from Timber that costs 250bux, they'll be more than happy to custom-print poo poo on it for an extra 20bux.

Angrymog posted:

Let's make it HARDCORE:
1: monster made entirely of hands
2: a character as a kid, teen, adult and old
3: the same face from profile, 3/4, front, below and above
4: a person sitting on a chair or sofa
5: nothing but bottles and vases in front of a guitar
6: person swinging an axe
7: a car in motion
8: highrise building with good perspective
9: hors.

etc etc etc, every last one the hardest thing you can think of

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 29, 2019

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

To contribute, here's some progress shots of a longboard design that's a christmas present for my bro (ignore the actual piece of wood and red lines, the red lines indicate where the fastenings and wheels go on the board so I don't put too much detail in them and the board is there for the shape):

Fantastic work!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Yeah that's what he said too but I thought he was flattering me to keep my interest up. It turns out that when you order a bit skating wood from Timber that costs 250bux, they'll be more than happy to custom-print poo poo on it for an extra 20bux.

Let's make it HARDCORE:
1: monster made entirely of hands
2: a character as a kid, teen, adult and old
3: the same face from profile, 3/4, front, below and above
4: a person sitting on a chair or sofa
5: nothing but bottles and vases in front of a guitar
6: person swinging an axe
7: a car in motion
8: highrise building with good perspective
9: hors.

etc etc etc, every last one the hardest thing you can think of

Not sure if serious, or trying to kill the idea dead.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I would be intimidated by these prompts but I don't really draw much anyways.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I would be in for Drawnuary and my promptlist is only pokemon and fruit alternating because I want to draw a bunch of stuff that I can put in my sketchbook for enjoyable watercoloring.
Years ago in some anchester of this thread, I asked "Can someone tell me a good coloring book for watercolor, I just want to color stuff in" and the general response was "Git gut at drawing and make your own coloring book." So that is what I would be doing. 31 days is about the same as the amount of sheets in a Khadi rags sketchbook so I can use that.

So yeah, let's do this!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

thank you for the critique and advice, im self-taught so this kind of thing is super valuable to me

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Angrymog posted:

Not sure if serious, or trying to kill the idea dead.

Yeah not trying to kill everyone. For a serious theme that's still challenging but not like cut-your-wrists-challenging, could go with materials sprinkled in with other stuff? Y'know, cloth, steel, bark, clay, fruit, stone, glass, meat and so on.
It'll be easy to make cloth, steel, bark etc pokemon out of them!
Then I'll be doing 31 Eeveelutions.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Then I'll be doing 31 Eeveelutions.
do these include the fighting Eeveelution, Beefeon?
and the normal Eeveelution chain: Big Eevee, Bigger Eevee, and Final Eev?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Fish Noise posted:

All elements: Helieon, Hydreon, Litheon, Berylleon, Boreon, Carbeon, Nitrogeon...

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

Final Fantasy Eev: The One-Winged Angel
(orchestral music sounds)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Here is the Pokemon / Fruit prompt list, just used some random generators. Who is joining me?

1. Squirtle
2. kiwi
3. Sharpedo Mega
4. guava
5. Skiddo
6. papaya
7. Dusknoir
8. orange
9. Budew
10. blueberry
11. Burmy Sandy
12. huckleberry
13. Lurantis
14. mango
15. Cramorant
16. grapefruit
17. Budew
18. nectarine
19. Phantump
20. lime
21. Gastrodon
22. apricot
23. Cradily
24. tomato
25. Maractus
26. pineapple
27. Piloswine
28. passionfruit
29. Bergmite
30. peach
31. Nidoqueen

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Here's a work in progress- started out as a sketch from photo, then a sketch based on that with sci-fi twist and some changes to the pose, then I colored the character and now I guess I'll do a background, maybe supporting characters too.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I was looking through some old art a few days ago and for every cringe-inducing teenage angst drawing I came across, I would end up finding one I liked:

Like these two buddies from 2006:

I liked them so much that I decided to give another go at drawing them as my last drawing of 2019:

I'm happy with how it turned out! It's nice seeing that actual progress happened somewhere, and I think I might draw more of these two again sometime.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Keetron posted:

Here is the Pokemon / Fruit prompt list, just used some random generators. Who is joining me?

I'll jump on the band wagon. I could use more structured practice.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Angrymog posted:

For some reason I read what you posted as "Dawnuary" so that's why I got confused. Re-reading it correctly, "drawnuary" seems like a pretty simple concept, sorry for sounding dense.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

gmc9987 posted:

For some reason I read what you posted as "Dawnuary" so that's why I got confused. Re-reading it correctly, "drawnuary" seems like a pretty simple concept, sorry for sounding dense.

That is because I'd originally misspelt it.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I'm bored at work and drew a lovely robot on a notecard. He is deciding between Twix and Gardetto's at the vending machine

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lol $50 (-30%!) for that :suicide:. I need to up my fiverr price for extra figures, not get any commissions, and stop using fiverr.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
New year new thread, pack up your bags friends 'cause we're going on a magical journey!

..to this thread, the new thread!:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678

Remember to first stretch your muscles to avoid any injuries when you click on that SO HARD.

Feel free to start filling up the new thread with stuff from the last couple of days so no-one misses out.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Keetron posted:

1. Squirtle
2. kiwi
3. Sharpedo Mega
4. guava
5. Skiddo
6. papaya
7. Dusknoir
8. orange
9. Budew
10. blueberry
11. Burmy Sandy
12. huckleberry
13. Lurantis
14. mango
15. Cramorant
16. grapefruit
17. Budew
18. nectarine
19. Phantump
20. lime
21. Gastrodon
22. apricot
23. Cradily
24. tomato
25. Maractus
26. pineapple
27. Piloswine
28. passionfruit
29. Bergmite
30. peach
31. Nidoqueen
Not sure if your watercolors will come in time but having drawings to color would be fun. Also I know almost none of these pokemans

I am in.

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 1, 2020

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'll start tomorrow because I'm at a friend's today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I repeat, pack up your bags and move out!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908678