Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

shadowvine118 posted:

I remember it having a very calming atmosphere. Then they made you have to pay for it, so I quit since I was only 13. I guess they made it free again, but I haven't played since.

When I was little, around ten, I was really into Furcadia. This was long before I ever heard of furries. I guess I was kind of naive, but I liked the fact that you could make your own little area for people to visit, and I liked the custom avatars you could make, and the many different iterations of Hogwarts people made. I got some classmates into it, though, and eventually it turned from this thing I liked on my own, to just another thing I felt left out of. Especially since one girl used it to yiff before I even knew what the hell that was.

i was probably 11 or 12 when RO went p2p. i had to read the tos because my dad wanted to know which Korea made the game. then he decided i could weed the front lawn at 10 cents per weed to earn the subscription bux. before this i played furcadia bc i love cats; had no idea what furries were or the true purpose of those yiff palace dream maps ppl designed. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Pie Colony posted:

I remember being so happy to get my CD in the mail cause my NetZero internet was too slow to download it. Then adding tons of str on my first Azlar to kill street 2 gangsters. All the way til the end when dupers ran the server into the ground

Open world PVP made that game so fun and so frustrating since you could drop your rares when you die. I had an all dex lavita specifically for ganking, running around all invisible and blinding people (which literally made your screen go black for minutes) instead of 1hitting them when i wanted to be an rear end in a top hat

dun1 leech party plz

Stay at the entrance and dont move.

Kill 4 guns

Also azlar punching master. Fn beautiful.

Rinse repeat

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I downloaded Anarchy Online and hooooly poo poo did it have late 90s UI AIDS. There's so much poo poo to click on and none of it has labels. I'm glad developers stopped doing the dumb thing where nothing is allowed to have a text label and instead you must decipher hieroglyphics.

Also, Escape does nothing in AO and you have to Alt+F4 to quit? now that's gangster. still not gonna play the game tho

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
World War II Online was the first MMO I played and despite some of it's incredibly poor design decisions and millions of bugs on launch I still had a blast with it.

I still remember hooking up with a squad and driving around Europe looking for action all night. And I mean all night, real time. We drove around in a truck in the dark and never really did much but it was this cool adventure. At one point we found someone else (on our side) but because the came didn't have local chat we had no way of communicating with them that they should join us.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Literally

LITERALLY no MMO has been good so far. This is why the genre is dead

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Star Wars Galaxies had an unparalled crafting system where all raw materials deposits had varying stats that impacted the stats of finished goods and resultantly a player-driven economy rivalling the depth and complexity of EVE.

Too bad everything else about it was hot garbage.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I had a character that I'd log into holtburg when other servers were down to fill level 1's with lightning arrows fired at maximum speed as they spawned in.

Darktide really did own.

On DT I got a gang of confused newbie level 5-10s to run the phantom weapons quest once and we took over the academy lifestone in shoushi. Highest level we took down was a a level 90ish Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPiBrIXCiQE

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Playing EVE as part of Goonswarm was probably the best example of what an MMO can really be. I can't even fathom playing that game alone, without the massive support and infrastructure that comes from joining an already established organization. Jumping into a hand-me-down Tackle Rifter I could barely pilot and tagging along on a fleet op two days into my trial made me really feel like I was part of something greater and I really felt like I was contributing in my own small way.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
If your answer isn't City Of Heroes I feel bad for you

Comedy option is Second Life and honestly looking back in its heyday it was kind of a cool concept done unfathomably bad but also 100% as you'd expect it to turn out. Visiting it today it's just a wasteland of rental land and broken things but some of the stuff that somehow has stayed alive since the late 90's/early 00's will hit you like a nostalgia truck

Also so many furries

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

clamdigger

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Whichever one was Dave Meinstein's favorite.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Don't worry OP, I miss guild wars too. The amount of amazingly broken poo poo they unintentionally made possible that then became the meta was fantastic. 55 monks were such a great oversight in skill planning.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Getting the MVP kill on the gold Thief Bug at the bottom of the culvert in Ragnarok Online was the highlight of 2000 for me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zero One posted:

World War II Online was the first MMO I played and despite some of it's incredibly poor design decisions and millions of bugs on launch I still had a blast with it.

I still remember hooking up with a squad and driving around Europe looking for action all night. And I mean all night, real time. We drove around in a truck in the dark and never really did much but it was this cool adventure. At one point we found someone else (on our side) but because the came didn't have local chat we had no way of communicating with them that they should join us.

I loved the idea of WWII Online. I got it when it came out and I just remember that the game was so empty. And you're not kidding about the real time stuff. I got into a tank that was probably supposed to be crewed by a few people but no one was playing by me. I drove it for about 30-60 minutes or so and came up to a bridge. Another lone enemy tank was on the opposite side. We traded a few shots and then he blew me up. I loved it at the time.

Does that game like, work now? Are there any actual battles with more than 10 people? It was always just 3 infantrymen in a building in a 10 square mile battle zone or whatever and just waiting and waiting and then boom you're dead. Someone shot you from 500 yards away while hiding in a bush. Repeat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Songbearer posted:

If your answer isn't City Of Heroes I feel bad for you

Comedy option is Second Life and honestly looking back in its heyday it was kind of a cool concept done unfathomably bad but also 100% as you'd expect it to turn out. Visiting it today it's just a wasteland of rental land and broken things but some of the stuff that somehow has stayed alive since the late 90's/early 00's will hit you like a nostalgia truck

Also so many furries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GThPfvtsGcc

"Please leave us alone. And take your dildo with you."

I've spent hours watching Second Life griefing videos. Just picked this one at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Linux Pirate posted:

Planetside was fun too.

I do, and I did it as a Pink Admiral Ackbar in a thong.