Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

god this episode. my family loooooved watching jon stossel segments on 20/20 and i definitely had to watch the videos in school too. very triggered rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I had not seen the John Stossel slap video before it is indeed excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ

hahaha holy poo poo that ruled

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
This episode is as cathartic to me as I imagine the Mike Rowe one was to other folks.

Edit: I started whoop-laughing at the women's rights clip, jesus

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 11, 2019

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sounds like a good show, downloading a few eps to give it a try

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

This episode is as cathartic to me as I imagine the Mike Rowe one was to other folks.

Edit: I started whoop-laughing at the women's rights clip, jesus

I couldn't place the name at first but as soon as I heard the first clip I had a series of flashbacks. Good episode as usual.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
John Stossel's name needs to be a synonym for bad faith. Jesus Christ, Adam and Nima unpacking that piece about the pregnant woman who worked for CATO is rage inducing.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh this episode reminded me of a teacher I had who gave me a copy of The Fountainhead in high school and encouraged me to write an essay for some Randian scholarship program. Red pilled for by the American educational system!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Sounds like a good show, downloading a few eps to give it a try

legitimately one of the absolute best news/politics podcasts available

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it’s the only analysis show i can listen to without getting incredibly bored

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
It seemed so dry at first, but it helps a lot that Nima and Adam are actually pretty funny guys.

Where'd everyone start listening to the podcast? I started with their show on The West Wing for some reason (someone prolly mentioned it in the Chapo thread), subscribed, then realized how good it was after listening to new episodes as they came out.

Ended up going through their entire back catalogue, which I definitely recommend: a lot of the poo poo they discuss seems to be pretty evergreen, so it all remains pretty relevant.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GANDHITRON posted:

It seemed so dry at first, but it helps a lot that Nima and Adam are actually pretty funny guys.

Where'd everyone start listening to the podcast? I started with their show on The West Wing for some reason (someone prolly mentioned it in the Chapo thread), subscribed, then realized how good it was after listening to new episodes as they came out.

Ended up going through their entire back catalogue, which I definitely recommend: a lot of the poo poo they discuss seems to be pretty evergreen, so it all remains pretty relevant.

Whataboutism episode. When they get super mad towards the end, I felt that

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My first episode was one of the ones on US imperialism. Looking through the episode list it was probably the human rights concern troll or the always stumbling us empire episodes.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I started off with ep 12, the one about internet atheists

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I’ve listened to about five, it is great so far. I especially liked the one on legalized gambling, and on Mike Rowe and John Stossel. The hosts are good about citing sources and not excessively getting into personal stories, or *shudder* complaining about twitter feuds.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve listened to about five, it is great so far. I especially liked the one on legalized gambling, and on Mike Rowe and John Stossel. The hosts are good about citing sources and not excessively getting into personal stories, or *shudder* complaining about twitter feuds.

I really like that they avoid the latter for the most part....every now and then they definitely say some things that indicate they're very Online, but not so much that it'd prevent me from reccing the podcast to friends and family. Glad it doesn't get in the way.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah they're good about staying in their lane, but also letting their righteous fury come through clearly. It's like an anti-decorum vaccine.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
It's a tough line to walk between being too dry and being all HOW DARE YOU SIR HAVE YOU NO SHAME I'M REAL MAD ON MY PODCAST and they strike the exact right balance while also saying smart things. it's a pretty good cast

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's probably been mentioned but Adam also hosts The Appeal podcast which is about prison reform and abolition and it's also very good. Slightly different format which leans almost entirely on interviews with activists and experts but I've found it be very informative about so many things that I didn't have any knowledge about wrt incarceration

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

THS posted:

it’s the only analysis show i can listen to without getting incredibly bored

Same, but I do get incredibly angry.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
This episode is frustrating because it keeps beating around the bush of state monopoly on violence and the philosophy thereof. I know that's not really their thing, but it's not possible to really comprehend the issue without at least giving that some discussion

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

It's probably been mentioned but Adam also hosts The Appeal podcast which is about prison reform and abolition and it's also very good. Slightly different format which leans almost entirely on interviews with activists and experts but I've found it be very informative about so many things that I didn't have any knowledge about wrt incarceration

I started listening to The Appeal once I realized Adam was the host of it, and definitely like and recommend it strongly to anyone who likes Citations Needed as well. After listening to that for a bit, I also realized that CN and The Appeal are both produced by the same extremely bad-rear end woman, Florence Barrau-Adams, who I looked up and found out also produces yet another extremely good podcast called Justice in America. It's worth a listen. Here's their SoundCloud if you want to check it out.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fool_of_sound posted:

This episode is frustrating because it keeps beating around the bush of state monopoly on violence and the philosophy thereof. I know that's not really their thing, but it's not possible to really comprehend the issue without at least giving that some discussion

maybe they don't discuss it because it's loving stupid

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

maybe they don't discuss it because it's loving stupid

It's central to analyzing the material lmao. It's the difference in 'this is a thing that happens' and 'this is why this happens'.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfZq7Qt6Z0

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fool_of_sound posted:

It's central to analyzing the material lmao. It's the difference in 'this is a thing that happens' and 'this is why this happens'.

my initial reply was needlessly hostile, sorry. the weberian theory of the state doesn't take the class dimension into account at all so i don't think it has very much use.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

my initial reply was needlessly hostile, sorry. the weberian theory of the state doesn't take the class dimension into account at all so i don't think it has very much use.

Yeah that's absolutely a fair criticism

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GANDHITRON posted:

The West Wing episode. When Trump won my former AFSCME colleague retreated into a fugue state and started binge watching the series again. It's scary how much that show motivates and influences the democrat party base.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3mw49mk_x0

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The West Wing episode. When Trump won my former AFSCME colleague retreated into a fugue state and started binge watching the series again. It's scary how much that show motivates and influences the democrat party base.

Dave Antony's West Wing pod cast is a pretty good assessment of that. I resisted listening to it because I thought the premise was stupid but it's actually pretty engaging. If you only listen to one, listen to episode 4, with Dave freaking the gently caress out about "practical idealism"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
good pod cast

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Dave Antony's West Wing pod cast is a pretty good assessment of that. I resisted listening to it because I thought the premise was stupid but it's actually pretty engaging. If you only listen to one, listen to episode 4, with Dave freaking the gently caress out about "practical idealism"

The Worst Wing was doing it first.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Haha for retreating into a fugue state nobody has this guy beat:

quote:

Right after the election, Erik Hagerman decided he’d take a break from reading about the hoopla of politics.

Donald Trump’s victory shook him. Badly. And so Mr. Hagerman developed his own eccentric experiment, one that was part silent protest, part coping mechanism, part extreme self-care plan.

He swore that he would avoid learning about anything that happened to America after Nov. 8, 2016.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/style/the-man-who-knew-too-little.html

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

GANDHITRON posted:

Saw multiple recommendations in c-spam for their two-parter on Bill Gates' fawning coverage by the media, then binged through the whole back catalog over the next couple months. It's pretty much impossible to watch/hear/read any MSM without relating it back to one of their episodes now, lol.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Love the apology for the precut vegetables joke :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Joementum posted:

Love the apology for the precut vegetables joke :3:

The latest episode about the use of choice rhetoric has been a long time coming. https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-95-the-hollow-vanity-of-libertarian-choice-rhetoric

Fake edit: Chapo has done a good job of proving Buttigieg is a spawn of Satan but the sound of him in this episode of Citation Needed made my skin crawl.