Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is the "Fresh Start"....
This poll is closed.
Truly something new and exciting! 6 6.90%
Nothing has changed. At all! 47 54.02%
It was actually better when Baron Corbin was "in charge" 11 12.64%
Look I'm just happy that the McMahons are FINALLY running things again. 23 26.44%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

BGrifter posted:

People love to poo poo talk the Miz but he's a great promo and acceptable in the ring. I loved his run around Wrestlemania 27 culminating with the giant inflatable "AWESOME" letters in his entrance.

The Miz has been saddled with sooooooooooo many crappy gimmicks and angles over the years, but still finds a way to make most of them entertaining.

Taking "Brand new dad who dotes on his kid" and making it a heel gimmick is pretty inspired. It's infuriatingly relatable, because most of us know someone who's obnoxious about their kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

BGrifter posted:

People love to poo poo talk the Miz but he's a great promo and acceptable in the ring. I loved his run around Wrestlemania 27 culminating with the giant inflatable "AWESOME" letters in his entrance.

The Miz has been saddled with sooooooooooo many crappy gimmicks and angles over the years, but still finds a way to make most of them entertaining.

Bryan Alvarez once had an excellent point that Miz is a good talker, but not a good promo. He has good delivery, but doesn't generally make people excited to see the upcoming match.

And when you say 'acceptable in the ring', these combine for a huge problem. I'm just not excited to see a probably fine match. He's had stinkers and great matches, but generally the most boringly fine performance.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the miz carried by himself the ziggler feud

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
its impossible to get excited for a miz match because the miz is wrestling in it. he can sell the hell out of the build though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

the miz carried by himself the ziggler feud

the prospect of never seeing dolph again did help a lot

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the prospect of never seeing dolph again did help a lot

gently caress, this reminds me they just gave him a bunch of money and he's gonna be there a while :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wazzu posted:

Bryan Alvarez once had an excellent point that Miz is a good talker, but not a good promo. He has good delivery, but doesn't generally make people excited to see the upcoming match.

I disagree with this a lot actually.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Australia hasn't transitioned away from the UK nearly as much as even Canada has. They're basically just upside down Scottish people.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Are Kiwis also allowed in NXTUK?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Upside down Wales.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dr. Baker posted:

Real World San Diego gave us Jamie Chung.
Why are Aussies allowed in NXT UK?

Finn Balor and Jordan Devlin allowed in, as is WALTER and toss Dakota Kai in there. No reason to keep it to just folks born and bred in the UK so...

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Miz absolutely, positively cannot convey aggression or being serious. Lord knows they've tried, especially with the Miz/R-Truth beating up the roster deal. He puffs his cheeks and he gets all red and he yells and points and does all the things he should, but he's still The Miz and completely unthreatening. Even his good stuff on Talking Smack was a one-off, he couldn't really sustain it or keep it going. The same with his in-ring work. He's completely competent, but at no point will you ever be able to suspend disbelief and think you're watching a real fight.

The Miz comes off as a guy playing a wrestler as all times, which is fine as he's entertaining, but he can never rise to the real top because of it. He's perfectly situated where he needs to be in the card and in the company with his public appearances and DTV movies.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/411wrestling/status/1084885357009817602

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Miz is at his best as a cowardly heel talking big but hiding behind every crony he can. He’ll never be intimidating like Brock Lesnar, but he makes a fantastic “end boss” out of an 80s kung fu flick. I’d love to see him in a year long program with the title and a decent babyface chasing him while he throws roadblock after roadblock in the way.

Sadly they’ve got him wrapped up in whatever the gently caress this thing with Shane is. I’m terrified that’s going to turn into a “McMahon in every corner” gimmick with Miz/Shane, Rollins/HHH, someone/Vince, someone/Steph.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Wazzu posted:

This is a function of the script he's handed (probably about an hour before he has to go out), not his actual ability.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh00VNHNB7o

In fairness, you have to consider his previous work in NJPW to really understand how much of a "get" the Gobbledygooker was.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like Phoenix is a bad place to try to run the Rumble in a bigger venue.

Miller Park would make more sense to me because there’s more hot areas in a drivable distance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Rumble layout looks cool, wrestlers coming out of the dugout and an :woop: angled entrance ramp
When R-Truth comes out, before he actually hits the ring, the "manager" is gonna make a call to the bullpen and bring out someone else who will enter from right field instead.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
becky tweets against asuka are loving awful and i hope she doensnt do racist stuff and if she does asuka beats the crap out of her joshi style.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Reading between the lines on various reports it seems like Braun isn't cleared for Royal Rumble and they will change the Brock match. Hopefully we get something cool.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

becky tweets against asuka are loving awful and i hope she doensnt do racist stuff and if she does asuka beats the crap out of her joshi style.

Ferrari are going to be 9% worse because of your posts

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

man what the gently caress was up with braun's elbow? wasn't he only supposed to be out for a couple of weeks

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DoctorGonzo posted:

You shut your mouth!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man what the gently caress was up with braun's elbow? wasn't he only supposed to be out for a couple of weeks

They forgot to put the dang thing back on and lost it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It was never 100% he'd make it back for the Rumble but WWE booked the title match like it was.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's really hosed up in multiple ways, I'm unsurprised 1 elbow surgery wasn't enough.

rovert posted:

Reading between the lines on various reports it seems like Braun isn't cleared for Royal Rumble and they will change the Brock match. Hopefully we get something cool.

Something cool would be good (like Finn). One of the reasons I hate Braun's kayfabe absurd dominance is how hard they have to work to write out why the monster won't fight.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Good thing they awkwardly delayed Brock and Braun’s face to face to maximize the number of viewers... for a match that may not be happening.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
WWE will blame Braun for not healing fast enough and never trust him with a main event spot again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It didn’t really turn into the shitshow until Vegas, which was a couple seasons after Miz.

And he was more naive than anything else. He said some real stupid poo poo but it never seemed like anyone there actually thought he was a terrible person.
I feel like Hawaii was the season most people at the time thought really went over the top, although it was certainly still in the realm of casting different people with some stories and not just a bunch of gorgeous 20s somethings. I always thought Boston stood out to me as the first season that really started to lose my interest. But yeah, I guess "Back to New York" was more of them trying to right the ship before it totally derailed come Vegas than them trying steer back.

I dunno. It was a lifetime ago.

But yeah, I never meant to say "Miz is a racist". Mike Mizanin was clearly an ignorant as gently caress kid who had the obnoxious habit of being proud of his ignorance. But like, that was a long time ago and everyone grows up and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he figured out who Rosa Parks is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ThePariah posted:

WWE will blame Braun for not healing fast enough and never trust him with a main event spot again.

they were never going to put the belt on him anyway. they may as well just have brock squash him at the rumble so that brock's mania match can go to someone else

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like Hawaii was the season most people at the time thought really went over the top, although it was certainly still in the realm of casting different people with some stories and not just a bunch of gorgeous 20s somethings. I always thought Boston stood out to me as the first season that really started to lose my interest. But yeah, I guess "Back to New York" was more of them trying to right the ship before it totally derailed come Vegas than them trying steer back.

I dunno. It was a lifetime ago.

But yeah, I never meant to say "Miz is a racist". Mike Mizanin was clearly an ignorant as gently caress kid who had the obnoxious habit of being proud of his ignorance. But like, that was a long time ago and everyone grows up and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he figured out who Rosa Parks is.

I feel like Hawaii was fairly tame other than Ruthie being a severe alcoholic. It def turned up a little more with Hawaii but Vegas was where poo poo hit the fan.

And the fact that he and Coral are really good friends kinda tells the whole story there.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

STAC Goat posted:

Whenever I walk by the fire house where they filmed Boston I instinctively wonder whether or not there are still Genesisisms taped all over the walls.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Isn't having to give away tickets to the Royal Rumble of all things a bad sign

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Wazzu posted:

He's really hosed up in multiple ways, I'm unsurprised 1 elbow surgery wasn't enough.

Aren't his knees already shot to hell?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ThePariah posted:

He wasn't winning anyway

Mr. Carlisle posted:

yep lol

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah. They put it in a baseball stadium and now can't fill said baseball stadium.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The WWE endgame is to not show anything anymore and still get 50000 kajillion dollars from the dark ghost lord cyber Hitler from the year 3453.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Gonna write this guy out early I guess.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

The WWE endgame is to not show anything anymore and still get 50000 kajillion dollars from the dark ghost lord cyber Hitler from the year 3453.

This seems like a workable business model to me I'm gonna pick up some WWE shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Ahhhh I see now. WWE is conditioning us to think they book the same shows and matches over and over again so when they switch to just reairing past episodes, they hope we won't notice.

Jokes on them, though, because no one will be watching!

And then jokes on us because they will make record profits after slashing talent costs.