Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Match of the Year
This poll is closed.
22 11.96%
1 0.54%
14 7.61%
6 3.26%
7 3.80%
70 38.04%
14 7.61%
11 5.98%
4 2.17%
9 4.89%
13 7.07%
6 3.26%
None of the above 7 3.80%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

2018 Results (click emblem for tallies, links go to the match)
Andrade "Cien" Almasc vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - January 27th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - February 10th)
The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)
Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa (NXT: TakeOver: New Orleans - April 7th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - May 4th)
Kazuchika Okadac vs. Kenny Omega in a 2-out-of-3 Falls/No Time Limit match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship- (NJPW Dominion - June 9th)
Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii(NJPW G1 Climax 28 Block B Match - July 28th)
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi(NJPW G1 Climax 28 Finals - August 12th)
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada(NJPW Destruction in Kobe - September 23rd)
Becky Lynchc vs Charlotte Flair in a Last Woman Standing match for the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship - (WWE Evolution - October 28th)
Nick FN Gagec vs 'King' David Arquette in a Deathmatch for the GCW Championship - (GCW Presents Joey Janela's LA Confidential - November 16th)
Golden☆Lovers vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Will Ospreay - (NJPW Road to Tokyo Dome Night 2- December 15th)

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm, didn't read properly

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You want me to timg those, TTBF?

Also everybody vote for Okada/Omega IV because otherwise you are lying on this very subjective topic!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Jerusalem posted:

Also everybody vote for Okada/Omega IV because otherwise you are lying on this very subjective topic!

The nice thing about the multiple vote options (and why I had them on the polls I ran til life caught up with me) is that you can pick the correct option and also your personal favorite option, like I did.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Sure! I thought I had them small enough but I forgot about how the poll's tables work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Done :)

Senerio posted:

The nice thing about the multiple vote options (and why I had them on the polls I ran til life caught up with me) is that you can pick the correct option and also your personal favorite option, like I did.

I also voted for the best match AND my favorite. That's right, one vote for Okada/Omega IV :mmmsmug:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Voted for Tanahashi/Ibushi because it was the better match and more importantly a true Handsome Battle.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

It's weird to think that in a year that's blown every year before it out the water with match quality (this century at least) that there's still one that is head and shoulders above the rest. Any other year and Gargano might have had a shot of being in the MoTY but Omega/Okada is just next level poo poo.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada/Omega for me, though like any other year except maybe last year Tanahashi/Ibushi would be easily number 1.

Hell the Super junior match between Hiromu/Ishimori didn't even make the list and that would easily be MOTY any other year

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

What a year, goddamn

Okada/Omega for me as well, but GODDAMN

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Start of last year I figured it was really unfair it would have to follow 2017's stellar year for matches. Now I'm almost scared how good 2019 might turn out to be.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wrestling is in this weird place lately because the in ring is at what i think is the highest its ever been on a global scale but wrestling as a medium feels the coldest its ever felt. we're seeing it pick back up in mexico japan and the uk and europe, and on the indies in north america, but its mainstream appeal is at its lowest and raw is approaching the numbers impact was doing when it started on spike.

really feels bittersweet for all the great wrestling we're getting, we're just in this large bubble. i hope it grows.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
vote for nick gage you cowards

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AEW might turn out to be a disaster (based on the last thirty years of history it is almost guaranteed to) but thank God it's at least raising the possibility of WWE's stranglehold being loosened just enough that maybe they might stop micromanaging the poo poo out of their incredibly talented roster.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Start of last year I figured it was really unfair it would have to follow 2017's stellar year for matches. Now I'm almost scared how good 2019 might turn out to be.

I was fairly sure that 2018 was going to be just as good as 2017 because I couldn't see anything that would have caused it to become worse. AEW is causing quite a few talented people to be out of action due to being locked up in a promotion running two shows this year. The competition for exclusivity as a result of the money being thrown around is drying up the indies. WWE expansion might have killed the UK indies and seeks to expand in other areas. Who knows what else is in store.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'd have a tough time deciding between the bosj final and the g1 final, and since only the g1 final made this ballot that gets my vote

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Gage/Arquette all the way

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Roughly 14 hours left to vote.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The votes have been cast and the results are in! With 38% of the votes, Okada vs Omega 4 is the winner!

#1 Kazuchika Okadac vs. Kenny Omega in a 2-out-of-3 Falls/No Time Limit match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship- (NJPW Dominion - June 9th)
#2 Andrade "Cien" Almasc vs Johnny Gargano for the NXT Men's Championship (NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia - January 27th)
#3 Becky Lynchc vs Charlotte Flair in a Last Woman Standing match for the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship - (WWE Evolution - October 28th)
#3 Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa (NXT: TakeOver: New Orleans - April 7th)
#5 Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kota Ibushi(NJPW G1 Climax 28 Finals - August 12th)
#6 Nick FN Gagec vs 'King' David Arquette in a Deathmatch for the GCW Championship - (GCW Presents Joey Janela's LA Confidential - November 16th)
#7 Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii(NJPW G1 Climax 28 Block B Match - July 28th)
#8 Kazuchika Okadac vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku - May 4th)
#9 The Golden☆Lovers vs The Young Bucks (New Japan: Strong Style Evolved - March 25th)
#9 The Golden☆Lovers vs Hiroshi Tanahashi & Will Ospreay - (NJPW Road to Tokyo Dome Night 2- December 15th)
#11 Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada (NJPW Destruction in Kobe - September 23rd)
#12 Kazuchika Okadac vs Seiya Sanada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship (NJPW The New Beginning - February 10th)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, 2018 may have been a year from hell for everything else, but the wrestling was better than ever.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Wrestling is good!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's interesting that in Japan, Tanahashi/Ibushi pretty uniformly seems to have been better received than Omega/Okada IV, while in the west it's the reverse. Not that either side thinks the other match is bad, just that it seems so unanimous that one is better than the other and then an ocean apart, the opposite is true.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's interesting that in Japan, Tanahashi/Ibushi pretty uniformly seems to have been better received than Omega/Okada IV, while in the west it's the reverse. Not that either side thinks the other match is bad, just that it seems so unanimous that one is better than the other and then an ocean apart, the opposite is true.

I'm not so certain it's as clear cut as that. Tanahashi/Ibushi won in a landslide on another forum I'm on and Okada/Omega won the Best Bout Award in Tokyo Sports.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well, Okada/Omega was about a God being defeated by a man, but Tanahashi/Ibushi was about a man failing to bring down a God, so clearly the answer is that the West is full of Godless heathens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Well, Okada/Omega was about a God being defeated by a man, but Tanahashi/Ibushi was about a man failing to bring down a God, so clearly the answer is that the West is full of Godless heathens

Oh everyone says that. You, Putin, Kim Jong-Un...