Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
What is CLAMP School?

CLAMP School is a fictional academy created by the artist team CLAMP for a series of manga and anime set at the school. It exists as a self-contained society somewhere in Japan and is attended exclusively by the super-rich or the super-talented. The most popular of the works based in it was CLAMP School Detectives, about the exploits of the elementary division student council who moonlighted as detectives dedicated to helping women (and one of them moonlighted as a phantom thief. Also one was a ninja). It was a goofy but charming 90s anime and this is meant to be a goofy but charming 90s anime setting.

CLAMP School is also a TRPG system developed by CLAMP and some person whose name I can't read but who also made the Star Ocean 3 TRPG, of all things. It's an extremely simple system mainly aimed at creating hijinks and is based on a certain storytelling style used by traditional Japanese storytellers. As with many Japanese TRPGs, the players are expected to work together with the GM to tell the story, rather than the GM simply describing the adventure and the players reacting. In the game, once the GM has set the scene, each player takes a turn describing what their character does. The player can have their character do literally anything they want (a lot of trust is placed in the players to handle this power responsibly). Once they have declared the action they wish their character to take, the player draws a card from a normal deck of playing cards.

If the card is in a red suit, the action succeeds in exactly the way the player described. If the card is in a black suit, something else happens. Depending on whether the black card is spades or clubs this may be 'something else' or 'something bad'.

After drawing a black card, the player must then also draw 3 more cards. Each card in the deck represents a concept (panic, celestial bodies, weather, friendship etc.). Using the 3 concepts represented by the 3 cards they drew, and with the help of the other players, the player must then decide what the 'something else' that happens is. Once they have resolved either the action they intended (on a red draw) or the 'something else' that happened (on a black draw), it becomes the next player's turn and the story continues.

That's it! That's the whole game. There are some more in-depth rules for players who want to try turning the system into something stat-based with numbers of re-draw tries based on attributes but honestly I think that all just gets in the way of the core concept. This is a collaborative story-telling game in which all the players will need to roll with the random punches thrown at them. Unlike, say, Maid where random rolls give you very specific scenarios, this game is more like a flash fiction contest where a bad draw means you need to think up a new direction for the story using the 3 broad concepts you drew.

I'm currently translating the list of concepts tied to each of the cards, and that'll be ready in time for the IC thread.

CLAMP School Research and Development Club

About the club: Player characters in this game will all be CLAMP School students of various ages who participate in the CLAMP School R&D Club. As CLAMP School is a place full of geniuses, obviously it is heavily involved in scientific innovation for the world. Many large corporations work closely with CLAMP School on research projects and inventions. In fact there's a great big R&D building where the top minds of the school are creating incredible future tech. That's not you. You're the R&D Club. Your club was specifically created because the heads of CLAMP School are all insanely rich people who don't understand how science works and don't like taking 'no' for an answer. So, for example, say one of the owners of the School watches an anime where giant robots fight each other and suddenly they decide CLAMP School should have a giant robot. The actual R&D division doesn't want to burn funding on such a thing, so it gets passed on to the R&D Club. The old Club Counselor teachers were scientists and engineers, and would often try to point out to the heads of CLAMP School how insane and impossible their requests were. So they got rid of all those guys and instead your current Club Counselor is a brilliant artist who has no idea how science works or what is or is not possible. He 100% believes that you guys can accomplish anything you put your impressive minds to.

The rules of your club are simple: build what the heads of CLAMP School want (or something sufficiently like what they want to make them happy) on the budget you have (in almost all cases nowhere near enough) and try not to blow up the school. Since nothing at CLAMP School can ever be done in small or quiet ways, you are often expected to showcase your new inventions in huge school-wide events. Better not mess up!

About the game: The game will be play-by-post with lots of OOC discussion happening on the Discord channel (https://discord.gg/RkFksnJ). All card draws will happen on the channel, and I will expect a lot of collaboration. Everyone should work together OOCly to make the IC story as entertaining as possible.

About the players: I need some number of players probably no greater than 6 to keep things from getting too confusing. I'd like people who understand the tone of 'silly but charming' and the aesthetic of good comic anime (a good, popular example of the tone I'm looking for is Ouran High Host Club). This game has very few limits, so it will require players who are more interested in crafting an entertaining story with each other than trying to hog the spotlight with gimmick characters and monkey cheese.

About the characters: You are the best of the best. Either you're rich or you're a super genius or you're super talented or some combination of the three. You've got some reason you want to stay in the R&D Club regardless of the insane expectations lumped on you and the almost constant hijinks that ensue whenever you all try to build something that lives up to the expectations of the school board. Characters can range in age from kindergarten through graduate school. You will all be living in dorms on the school grounds, although some/all of you may choose to move into the special dorm provided for the R&D Club due to constant all-nighters that make it worthwhile to stay on site. You each have a role you play that is vital to the club, though you also have your weakpoints that sometimes are the cause of the almost constant hijinks that ensue. You're more than a one-note running gag, though. You've got depth and emotions and hopes and dreams. You do not have super powers, though you may have attributes that are not 100% normal for a human.
Though parallels to Dexter's Lab may be drawn, we don't need a Didi PC. With a 50% failure rate on all your draws you really don't need a character actively messing stuff up. It'll get plenty messed up on its own.

About the applications: Go to town. Write what you feel. I've never been let down by SA apps so I'm not super worried. Just include normal stuff like age, gender, grade, specialties/interests, personality and history. Make sure your character is fleshed out.

Application deadline: Let's give it a week (1/21) though I can extend as necessary.

Please feel free to ask questions here or in the Discord.

If you need some inspiration, here's some CLAMP for ya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9x23RV8kJQ
https://vimeo.com/10095456
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQbOQiaH6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwT8yJjtUQ

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mitsuki Aoyama 青山満月
Sorry I Can't Be A Good Kid

Grade: Senior high, third year
GPA: 4.0
Offenses on record: 25

Mitsuki Aoyama is one of the most promising minds in the field of physics, displaying an unparalleled brilliance for her age, already having several papers published in scientific journals, and several prestigious universities falling over themselves to enroll her.

Mitsuki Aoyama is also a brash delinquent and leader of the Aoi Honoo gang, eager to get into a fight and disrupt any authority figures. Despite her record and demeanor, she was accepted into CLAMP School through her overwhelming academic achievement.

Aoyama's time at CLAMP has not been free of issues, however, the administration is willing to mitigate any punishments as long as she serves the school both as a hall monitor and a member of the R&D Club, feeling that being allowed her own authority would reduce rebellious behavior, said behavior being a way to resist the high expectations placed on her. Not only does her brilliant mind make her a valuable researcher, but her hardy physical condition makes her an ideal test subject, to her chagrin.

Additionally, the diverse and varied members of Aoi Honoo form a web of contacts inside and out of the school, allowing Aoyama to leverage a multitude of resources.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 19, 2019

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

A bit of a serious backstory, but I would be playing my character as "wacky socially awkward" rather than "NO ONE CAN BE TRUSTED".

Mayumi Furuichi (古一魔弓): The Socially Awkward Retired Magical Girl

Grade: College, 2nd year
Specialities/Interests: A genius in physics and cosmology; she's an otaku, but she doesn't like admitting it.
Personality: Quiet but opinionated about her areas of expertise (physics, and mecha anime). She's been hurt in the past, so trusting people doesn't come easy, but she's throwing her lot into the R&D club and is trying to be positive. Social abilities have atrophied from a long time with no friends, leading to hilarious misunderstandings.

Biography:

When Mayumi (magical girl name: Magi-Maya) was in middle school, the world was threatened by the machinations of the Magirian Empire, an empire of evil magicians from an alternate dimension. Helped by a magical cat Pala (a refugee from another dimension that was invaded, and who gave Mayumi her powers) and Zolas, a Magirian price who defected, she stopped the Empire's attempts to invade Tokyo with their enslaved magical spirits. Upon the Emperor's defeat, Zolas took the throne and closed the portal between worlds, while Pala returned to her own dimension; the spirits Mayumi used in battle also returned to the Spirit World.

As you might guess, losing your magical spirit-controlling powers along with your closest friends is a great shock. Before her recruitment as Magi-Maya, Mayumi was a quiet girl with few friends who was exceedingly smart. Under Pala and Zolas' guidance, Mayumi opened up and made friends in school. But when Pala and Zolas left, despite all her logic and reason, she could not help but feel like she was abandoned. Her friendships at school suffered, and she returned to a lonely life.

Years later, when she was in college, Mayumi received a letter. In Zolas' handwriting, it read:

Dear Mayumi,

This will be my only letter to you.

When I left you, I remember saying we would be friends forever. That even beyond worlds we would be linked.

For many years, that thought sustained me, but as I grew older and saw the sufferings and pains of my people, I realized something. Just as people were ripped apart by the war, we too were ripped apart by circumstance. No matter what happens, we cannot go back to what we were.

I realize now that our--Pala and I's--leaving must have been excruciating. We, at the least, could talk about what we lost to our friends at home. But you, who had to keep things a secret, must have been unbearably lonely even with your new friends.

This was cemented when I did something forbidden. I opened the portal between worlds, just a smidgen, so I could see how you were doing. Because I missed you.

You were alone, as I watched you. You talked to no one as you walked through your school, carrying your books.

Mayumi, I am sorry. If I had been more mature, I would have realized the effect of our departure on you before it happened. I would have prepared you, instead of assuming you would be OK.

Please, Mayumi, make friends again. I don't want you to be alone because of me, even if that is selfish. I want you to flourish, as I saw the Mayumi of years ago do.

Please be happy.

Your friend, as always,
Zolas

Mayumi cried for a long time after that. Zolas had opened the wound again. But his words stuck in her mind, and after a few weeks of thought, Mayumi had accepted something.

Zolas really was her friend, still, even if he had left. And as her friend, he wished for her to be happy. And she wasn't.

But trying to make friends was hard. She was out of practice.

Then the R&D club presented its opportunity. Maybe it was a long shot, but working with fellow students could provide the catalyst friendships need. What did it matter that they were a bunch of misfits trying to make a giant robot that almost certainly would never work?

...What was she getting herself into?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Name: Haruto Ishikawa
GPA: 3.0
Grade: High School Freshman
Favorite Food: Omurice

My name is Haruto Ishikawa, and how I got into CLAMP? I am really not too sure, about how I managed it really. It was a bright April Morning when my home room teacher, Ms. Tanaka brought someone in to explain the club and invited all who wanted to participate to sign up for a test to see if they got what it takes to join this club. I was running late - my bike had its chain break and i was fighting to get it back on. I walked in while everyone was signing up and when I asked my friend what this was about, they told me it was for a field trip, which I now see was a sarcastic remark. I put my name in though and sat at my site, getting daggers thrown at me from my teacher's eyes.

After I signed it and the papers were taken away, the teacher thanked all the students for signing up for the big examination. I starred at my friend who started laughing quietly at me and signed, laying my head down on my table. The day of the test came a month later and we were all sitting quietly in a large auditorium, and I mean all of us. It didn't matter your grade, they had everyone in here that signed up, we were given a large stack of papers that we had to go through and fill out. The test was full of all sorts of science, math and engineering questions that flew over my head.

I felt dizzy, I could hear the voices in my head telling me to just scribble down whatever I could think of and get through this so I could go back to my days ahead. Closing my eyes I took a deep breath and started jolting down answer after answer, whatever I could think of that would fit the bill, whatever multiple choice answer looked the smartest answer. I was finished...before everyone...and I laid the paper down, picked up my stuff, handed my papers over and left to go get soda and hamburgers with my friends.

Three weeks went by and I got a large, and I do mean large, packet full of paperwork I needed to sign, my mom needed to sign and all sorts of information and the campus, what they do and even some stuff like badges and a uniform, but even though my mother looked happy, I knew that deep down, I was a fraud, somehow I got every question correct and I really don't know how I did it. I never really had much aspirations to be honest, I just wanted to go into playing video games for a living or marry into a rich family...THAT'S NOT TO SAY I DON'T TRY! No...I really do, ever since I got accepted into the club, I spend a lot of my free time trying to catch up with the club, buying book after book on all sorts of topics that I really know nothing about. I don't really talk with my friends much anymore after joining this club but I am hoping that maybe I can at least make a new friend here or two so that I don't feel so isolated after joining this thing.

I grew up with my mother, my dad having passed away when I was a baby in a construction accident, and my mother has worked really hard to put food on our table and she always let me study what I wanted but she looked so happy when she saw that I joined this club. I guess then that I will do my best for my mother!

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Name: Anthony "Tony" Asakura
Grade: High school, senior year.
Interests: Military History/Weaponry/Wargames/Grand Strategy Videogames/Paintball.

Born to an USAF Captain father and a JGSDF Major mother, Tony was raised on a strict military household and quickly developed an interest towards his parent's line of work, and developed a spartan studying and training regime to school while he started working on a side hobby designing, developing and testing state of the art future weaponry for all purposes, something that has quickly turned to be a genius talent of his.

It was during an unfortunate test of his jury-rigged portable MANPAD against a home delivery drone that his skills became known to CLAMP academy, who immediately sent an invitation for him to join the school, which his parents also immediately had him attend in order to further his unique talents on a more accepting place... And as well to avoid any more explosions in the neighborhood.

Now on his last year at high school, Tony leads the infamous "War Club", a mishmash of various military otaku and misfits who spend their time fabricating ludicrous new self-defense inventions, starting paintball or rubber bullet firefights through the school facilities and challenging other R&D clubs to test the "combat efficacy" of their inventions against theirs. While so far no one has been (seriously) injured due to his shenanigans, it seems that the proclivities of the so-called "Battlefield Genius" might one day go too far...?