Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Problem description: When I'm running a slightly graphics intense game (e.g. Hitman has this problem, paradox games don't) I get blue screen crashes, or sometimes crashes to desktop. The error message on the bluescreen is different every time. Last one was Kernel Security Check Failure Error.
Edit: more recent error: page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Attempted fixes: Reinstalled GPU drivers after uninstalling them, reinstalling windows, making sure I had the latest windows version, windows memory diagnostic.

Recent changes: No, and Hitman ran fine until this week

--

Operating system: Win 10

NVidia geforce 1070 8GB
4x Intel core i5-7600 @3.5ghz
16gb Ram
250GB SSD
1TB HD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Googled yes, couldn't find the FAQ

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm no expert but it wouldn't hurt to check for the following:

GPU overheating (fan problem?)
GPU seated fully in socket
System power supply up to the task?
If overclocking anything, try reverting to standard speeds...

Does it only happen on one game, or from basically any graphics-heavy task?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Number_6 posted:

I'm no expert but it wouldn't hurt to check for the following:

GPU overheating (fan problem?)
GPU seated fully in socket
System power supply up to the task?
If overclocking anything, try reverting to standard speeds...

Does it only happen on one game, or from basically any graphics-heavy task?

Not overclocking, power supply is more than adequate, GPU temp seems fine, and it's most graphics intensive games.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://osdn.net/dl/crystaldiskinfo/CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe

What motherboard do you have?

What is the PSU and how old is it?

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Did you overclock anything? Try resetting to bios options, if not take out peripherals one by one. If it still happens you’re dealing with faulty components

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Zogo posted:

Run CDI to check HD health:
https://osdn.net/dl/crystaldiskinfo/CrystalDiskInfo8_0_0.exe

What motherboard do you have?

What is the PSU and how old is it?

HD health was fine.
motherboard is ASUS prime z270-A
600W power supply, should be about 2 years old now I think

unidef freeman posted:

Did you overclock anything? Try resetting to bios options, if not take out peripherals one by one. If it still happens you’re dealing with faulty components

Not overclocking. I'm getting the feeling it's one of the components as well, is there any way to determine which one?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kanonvandekempen posted:

What is the brand and model? There are a lot of junky PSUs even with high wattage capability.

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm getting the feeling it's one of the components as well, is there any way to determine which one?

Using onboard video temporarily would mostly rule the GPU out as being an issue.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

kanonvandekempen posted:

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

HD health was fine.
motherboard is ASUS prime z270-A

Not overclocking. I'm getting the feeling it's one of the components as well, is there any way to determine which one?

Gotta remove each component at a time, if you’ve removed all but a stick of ram, cpu, mobo, gpu and psu then one of those are bad, I’d start with the mobo but I’m on social security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus
So with default stock clocks (not even enabling any XMS3 profile or using turbo/step management) I had a similar issue to you and it turned out that adding fans fixed everything.

I don't think your issue is temperatures but I'll offer my anecdote anyway:

I never expected a couple of fans to fix the issue but they did, proper exhaust is important, temperature sensors aren't always accurate, I had random switch-offs for a LONG time and the temps were <60. I put in three new fans, recycled two of the old ones to top exhaust, and my temps never go above 40c and are silent with the fan controller managing them. (NZXT Sentry 3)

If it's not that then I'd suggest completely clean driver install and definitely make sure that power supply isn't a dud.

Either than that, reinstall windows just in case it is driver-based (but I'd only suggest this as a last resort option)