Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein during a writers’ retreat getaway thing where a bunch of literary types went away for a jolly old holiday. While there, they decided it would be great sport if they all wrote a horror story and then presented the story to the group at the end of the retreat. Mary Shelly’s contribution went on to become one of the most famous and influential sci-fi/horror stories ever made. Did anything else of note come out of that contest or did the other authors just end up dying in obscurity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Dr. John Polidori produced The Vampyre, viewed as the granddaddy of all vampire fiction.

Lord Byron and Percy Bysshe Shelley never finished their scary stories, but they're considered two of the greatest poets of the Romantic movement, so they did pretty well for themselves.

Fun Fact: According to tradition, Mary Shelley (then Godwin) lost her virginity to Percy when they were both visiting the grave of her mother, women's rights advocate Mary Wollstonecraft. Percy was married to another woman at the time.

hth

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 20, 2019

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
I think you have the details a bit mixed up op. The contest was started while she was stuck inside a house during a storm, and the other occupants included Lord Byron and Percy Shelley.

I don't know if either of those guys wrote anything of note during that specific contest, but they didn't die in obscurity either.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
"Shelley Does Diodati" by Byron

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

"Dr. Jeckyl and his Mister's Hide" by Mary Shelley

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Those freaks were the type that could down a gallon of absinthe and spew forth a shitload of anime

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dr. John Polidori produced The Vampyre, viewed as the granddaddy of all vampire fiction.

Lord Byron and Percy Bysshe Shelley never finished their scary stories, but they're considered two of the greatest poets of the Romantic movement, so they did pretty well for themselves.

Fun Fact: According to tradition, Mary Shelley (then Godwin) lost her virginity to Percy when they were both visiting the grave of her mother, women's rights advocate Mary Wollstonecraft. Percy was married to another woman at the time.

hth

Oh wow. And here I thought Bram Stoker’s Dracula was the foundation of all vampire fiction. That’s pretty cool.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also I’m only just now bothering to put two and two together regarding Shelley of “Ozymandias” fame and Mary Shelley’s similar last names.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They also wrote the first season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Extra Large Marge posted:

They also wrote the first season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

And invented what we now know as the Cheez-It

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm kinda disappointed people aren't talking about how the Ozymandias guy hosed the Frankenstein lady on her mom's grave

What happened to SA

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

And get this, James Joyce liked to huff his wife's farts.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ELI PORTER posted:

And get this, James Joyce liked to huff his wife's farts.

Interestingly, Kate Beaton made a comic about James Joyce, too

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Dostoevsky wrote Bird Box there.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

congrats on watching an episode of drunk history op

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

you freaking dumbass

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm kinda disappointed people aren't talking about how the Ozymandias guy hosed the Frankenstein lady on her mom's grave

I bet he whispered some slick as hell goth romantic poetry into her ear about eros and thanatos and the beauty of making her a mother on the grave of her mother.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/zPBv9SGgwho

presented without comment

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

One of Lord Byron's children was Ada Lovelace, the mother of computer programming.

Mary Shelley wrote the first sci-fi post-apocalyptic novel, The Last Man, which takes place in a future where disease kills nearly everyone on earth. Two of the characters are based on Lord Byron and Percy Shelley.

strange feelings re Daisy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 21, 2019

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

Mary Shelley wrote that dumbass book The Martian

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

mary shelly wrote ready player one

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you freaking dumbass

Excuse me for trying to educate myself while also being entertained.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Moon Atari posted:

I bet he whispered some slick as hell goth romantic poetry into her ear about eros and thanatos and the beauty of making her a mother on the grave of her mother.

:magical:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Ken Russell made the movie Gothic based on that fateful weekend. And it is bonkers even for a Ken Russell film. Because he ran with the idea that they were all crazy sexhounds drinking gallons of absinthe that weekend. At one point we see a woman with eyeballs in place of the nipples on her large breasts. At another point (and seen on the poster) there's a live action recreation of the famous series of paintings entitled "The Nightmare".

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Ken Russell made the movie Gothic based on that fateful weekend. And it is bonkers even for a Ken Russell film. Because he ran with the idea that they were all crazy sexhounds drinking gallons of absinthe that weekend. At one point we see a woman with eyeballs in place of the nipples on her large breasts. At another point (and seen on the poster) there's a live action recreation of the famous series of paintings entitled "The Nightmare".

I remember browsing through channels and think "oh! a period piece movie" let's watch! Than things got crazy really fast...

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Applewhite posted:

Oh wow. And here I thought Bram Stoker’s Dracula was the foundation of all vampire fiction. That’s pretty cool.

Dracula was extremely derivative. Case in point: there's an anonymous German story titled "The Mysterious Stranger" that was published in English well before Dracula that opens with a carriage traveling through the Carpathian Mountains, being chased by wolves. The carriage reaches a ruined old castle and a big vampire comes out and dismisses the wolves with a wave of his hand and then pretends to be a normal guy who doesn't eat people. You might recognize this from being Almost Exactly the Beginning of Dracula.

It's also impossible to overstate how important Polidori's The Vampyre is to vampire fiction - the entire literary tradition of "the vampire story" as separate from folklore is directly descended from its influence. It was ridiculously popular when it came out-- there were multiple operas made of it. The story itself is fairly boring; the reason it's popular is: Polidori hated Lord Byron and wrote him into the story as the villain-- the vampire. Like, even the vampire's name 'Ruthven' was a known alias of Byron's. Everyone else in England thought Byron was sexy as gently caress, and recognized the vampire as being a thinly veiled version of Lord Byron. Consequently, everyone thought A) the vampire was sexy as gently caress and B) that Lord Byron wrote the story. Anyway to make a long story short, Polidori killed himself.

edit: read Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla" and "Schalken the Painter" for more spooky undeads that predate Dracula. The latter isn't exactly a vampire story (except, I keep seeing versions where they note that the creep of the story has fangs and other versions where that detail isn't present. I haven't found any kind of commentary on the publication history to explain this discrepancy so who knows) but it's very good.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 21, 2019

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Frankenstein was pretty good, i wrote a modern adaptation of it when i was in college which was loving trash but (on advice from a coworker who took the teachers class before) it pandered the gently caress to the ultra woke side of things and i got an A in the course even though i wriote like 3/4 the night before hosed up on liquor and addy

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Fun fact: Many people believe "Frankenstein" was the monster's name, but that's actually just his last name, taking his father's, Doctor Frankenstein. His real name is thus Monster Frankenstein.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Bonaventure posted:

Dracula was extremely derivative. Case in point: there's an anonymous German story titled "The Mysterious Stranger" that was published in English well before Dracula that opens with a carriage traveling through the Carpathian Mountains, being chased by wolves. The carriage reaches a ruined old castle and a big vampire comes out and dismisses the wolves with a wave of his hand and then pretends to be a normal guy who doesn't eat people. You might recognize this from being Almost Exactly the Beginning of Dracula.

It's also impossible to overstate how important Polidori's The Vampyre is to vampire fiction - the entire literary tradition of "the vampire story" as separate from folklore is directly descended from its influence. It was ridiculously popular when it came out-- there were multiple operas made of it. The story itself is fairly boring; the reason it's popular is: Polidori hated Lord Byron and wrote him into the story as the villain-- the vampire. Like, even the vampire's name 'Ruthven' was a known alias of Byron's. Everyone else in England thought Byron was sexy as gently caress, and recognized the vampire as being a thinly veiled version of Lord Byron. Consequently, everyone thought A) the vampire was sexy as gently caress and B) that Lord Byron wrote the story. Anyway to make a long story short, Polidori killed himself.

edit: read Sheridan Le Fanu's "Carmilla" and "Schalken the Painter" for more spooky undeads that predate Dracula. The latter isn't exactly a vampire story (except, I keep seeing versions where they note that the creep of the story has fangs and other versions where that detail isn't present. I haven't found any kind of commentary on the publication history to explain this discrepancy so who knows) but it's very good.
What an interesting post, thanks cuz! I appreciate the two other recs; I have the day off work and it's like zero degrees here and my house is clean. Now I know what I'm going to do.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

congrats on watching an episode of drunk history op

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you freaking dumbass

This guy really hates Drunk History!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

i'm a woman

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Explain.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
lord byron was so filled with romanticism that he went and died fighting a war that had nothing to do with him

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

I heard he had a club foot and also was a bulimic, no joke

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Choco1980 posted:

At one point we see a woman with eyeballs in place of the nipples on her large breasts.

That's based on an actual hallucination Percy Shelley had during that house party

BTW, it's okay to call the monster Frankenstein - because Dr Frankenstein was the REAL monster all along :smug:

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

frankenstein is borderline unreadable crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I believe they tossed around the idea of a woman who was cursed to have her head turned into a living skull after spying on something through a keyhole but ultimitely concluded that it was stupid as hell and dropped it.