Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if there were past fourm posts on The Golden Razzie Awards, but you know what I am going to make one anyways. For your information, The Golden Razzie Awards are the awards for the worst movies for each year. Here are the nominations for this year: http://razzies.com/razz-newz.html Discuss what will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Man, gently caress Johnny Depp, and his performance in Sherlock Gnomes. I didn't think Gnomeo and Juliet was too bad (it's got this weird charm to me, and I think it's just a fun movie), but the sequel seems so... Blargh. Depp turned in a lovely performance, and a really boring take on Sherlock.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Baywatch was self aware of what it was. I laughed at it. Not every movie needs to be Fury Road.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Jennifer Garner doesn't deserve to be there, she's pretty drat good in Peppermint. The movie itself is another discussion but Garner is nominated for Worst Actress.

Bruce Willis is 100% deserving though and probably should win, he's put in some dead-eyed performances in the past but this one was a new low.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Razzies have always nominated based on reputation rather than how bad a film actually is. It’s always kinda bothered me, honestly.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

caligulamprey posted:

Razzies have always nominated based on reputation rather than how bad a film actually is. It’s always kinda bothered me, honestly.

I honestly don't think they actually watch any of the movies before theynominate them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah, I've always hated The Razzies; they just try to predict what will be the coolest thing to hate and nominate based on that.

I mean, reminder that Kubrick was nominated for The Shining, but they missed The Room and nominated Reloaded and Revolutions that year.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's a big ol' gimmick, a one note joke, and it's honestly pathetic these people have been doing it for 39 years. They were smart to drum up some press this year though by nominating Donald Trump.

edit: How many times now have they nominated Tyler Perry for Worst Actress?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 22, 2019

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

They were smart to drum up some press this year though by nominating Donald Trump.

He still hasn't picked up his Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor for Ghosts Can't Do It (1990).

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The Razzies never pick movies that nobody has heard of that are actually the shittiest. They always pick the biggest fiascos of the year made by famous people. Which really is fine, since nobody would care about them at all if they picked a bunch of Z-list movies nobody had seen, and also it would be kicking people really low on the totem pole.

And yeah, it’s a gigantic gimmick that no real film criticism actually goes into. I’m just saying The Razzies would be even worse if they approached the topic seriously.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Since the Razzies have always just been a big yukfest and never actually about identifying the worst movies, I might have more respect for them if they went after some some of the lovely Oscar Bait movies rather than low-hanging fruit like a Jonas Brothers documentary or Crossroads or poo poo like that. Nominate something like Green Book, or Bohemian Rhapsody, or Vice.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

General Dog posted:

Since the Razzies have always just been a big yukfest and never actually about identifying the worst movies, I might have more respect for them if they went after some some of the lovely Oscar Bait movies rather than low-hanging fruit like a Jonas Brothers documentary or Crossroads or poo poo like that. Nominate something like Green Book, or Bohemian Rhapsody, or Vice.

A movie being nominated for an Oscar and a Razzie in the same year would be a great attention getter.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is there a reason they singled out Justice Smith in Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom as Worst Supporting Actor? He doesn't seem to be a notable enough celebrity to draw the nomination on name alone, and as far as the actual performance, everyone is bad in Fallen Kingdom, not sure why he stands out. Did they confuse him with Jaden Smith?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sucrose posted:

The Razzies never pick movies that nobody has heard of that are actually the shittiest. They always pick the biggest fiascos of the year made by famous people. Which really is fine, since nobody would care about them at all if they picked a bunch of Z-list movies nobody had seen, and also it would be kicking people really low on the totem pole.

And yeah, it’s a gigantic gimmick that no real film criticism actually goes into. I’m just saying The Razzies would be even worse if they approached the topic seriously.

I'd actually love to hear about lovely movies I would miss otherwise, and the extra attention would only help those low on the totem pole.

But I'd also like them to nominate stuff like (the bad) Crash, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

General Dog posted:

Is there a reason they singled out Justice Smith in Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom as Worst Supporting Actor? He doesn't seem to be a notable enough celebrity to draw the nomination on name alone, and as far as the actual performance, everyone is bad in Fallen Kingdom, not sure why he stands out. Did they confuse him with Jaden Smith?

He probably pissed off someone rich.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Holmes & Watson wins worst picture.

Donald Trump wins worst actor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39th_Golden_Raspberry_Awards

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
And the award for shooting fish in a barrel goes to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll give the Razzies this: I didn't know that there was a new Dinesh D'Sousa "movie".