Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Anyone been watching this? Only six one-hour episodes on nat-geo that mostly focuses on the mid-90s internet boom. Focuses heavily on a few companies. Netscape is probably the biggest story.....and their browser battle with Microsoft. An early website startup called The Globe that was trying to build a user base while struggling to explain their vision to investors.

And then a really fascinating story about a wanted scam artist named Michael Fenne (fake name) who basically stole a revolutionary video encoding method that allowed videos to stream over the internet back when speeds were so slow that it was basically impossible. Then he used the investment money to throw a massive party in 1999 at the MGM Grand Las Vegas costing $16 million dollars with a performance lineup consisting of Chely Wright, LeAnn Rimes, Faith Hill, Dixie Chicks, Sugar Ray, Natalie Cole, KISS, Tony Bennett, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, and a reunion of The Who. He also leased the gigantic Astrovision screen in Times Square to broadcast the eight-hour live feed. That company didn't last too much longer.

quote:

Valley of the Boom is an American docudrama television miniseries created by Matthew Carnahan that premiered on January 13, 2019, on National Geographic. The series centers on the 1990s tech boom and bust in Silicon Valley and it stars Bradley Whitford, Steve Zahn, Lamorne Morris, John Karna, Dakota Shapiro, Oliver Cooper, and John Murphy.

Valley of the Boom will take a close look at "the culture of speculation, innovation and debauchery that led to the rapid inflation and burst of the 1990s tech bubble. As with its hybrid series Mars, Nat Geo will use select doc elements to support the scripted drama to tell the true inside story of the dramatic early days of Silicon Valley."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I've been watching this too, it's pretty interesting! I was in my teens for most of this time period so old enough to see the hype everywhere and talk poo poo about whatever browser or online service my friends were using (Compuserve is for idiots, though I'm not sure why I thought this) but I definitely did not understand all the financial craziness that was happening. As a documentary I think it's a little clunky and awkward with some of the story telling but I'm enjoying it.

I've been watching it on National Geographic site, which kind of sucks. Stop telling me a 30s interactive ad will be the only one I have to see for the episode if you're just going to keep having it pop up every single commercial break!