Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for January, 2019?
This poll is closed.
:anarchists: Daniel Bryan (WWE Champion) 25 34.25%
Asuka (Smackdown Women's Champion) 6 8.22%
:lsd: Johnny Impact (Impact World Champion) 2 2.74%
:baby: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.37%
:corrupt: Ronda Rousey (Raw Women's Champion) 1 1.37%
Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:laugh: Kagetsu (World of Stardom Champion) 4 5.48%
:love: Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:boom: Miyu Yamashita (TOKYO Princess of Princess Champion) 0 0%
:cripes: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) 0 0%
:rory: Kenny Omega (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 2 2.74%
:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 31 42.47%
:yossame: Same poo poo, Different Year (None of the Above) 1 1.37%
Total: 73 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kazuchika Okada's magnificent 2018 could not be denied, despite Becky Lynch's explosive (and well deserved) burst in popularity at the end of the year which helped break WWE's drought in the monthly polls for the first 2/3rds of the year. In the end it was incredibly close, with only three votes in it, but despite Becky Lynch earning the nod for December, it was Okada who once again returned to the winner's circle as the Champion of the Year for a record-tying third time. He has now passed AJ Styles and matches CM Punk, and given his relative youth and the continuing quality of his performances in-ring and as a character it seems likely he will be back again a fourth, fifth of even more time. We get to sit back and enjoy watching it all, and for that I at least am extremely grateful.

But 2018 is over and now so is the first month of 2019. Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as Dragon Gate and DDT this month) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:anarchists: Daniel Bryan (WWE Champion) - The NEW Daniel Bryan, completely loving mad and ready to rant at anybody and everything (including a wonderful verbal assault on Baby Boomers like Vince McMahon) had a hell of a month as he defeated AJ Styles at the Royal Rumble to retain his belt... then promptly dumped that horrible belt that a beautiful cow died to make and introduced a brand new belt made of 100% sustainable materials like hemp and oak from a tree that fell down naturally! Plenty of WEED BELT jokes followed, but the best part is that Daniel Bryan is taking this incredibly serious... and it loving rules.

Asuka (Smackdown Women's Champion) - There were some who said Asuka didn't so much earn her title as get gifted it when Ronda Rousey took out Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch. But Asuka proved the lie to that at the Royal Rumble where she defeated Becky Lynch in a hell of a match to open Royal Rumble. Unfortunately nothing happened at the Smackdown after that involving Asuka despite a promise that we'd see who her next competitor was. Strike while the iron is hot, WWE, because Asuka is great and should be on television more often!

:lsd: Johnny Impact (Impact World Champion) - Johnny opened the month forced into a tag with his challenger Cage against the Lucha Brothers, and the two quickly came to blows after blaming each other for the loss. At the Homecoming PPV, Johnny defeated Cage in what felt like a fluke pin out of a suplex, but he was more than happy to celebrate the win. He didn't have long as he and Taya were attacked by Killer Kross, who also beat Johnny the next week in a non-title match. Their eventual title match ended in a no-contest, and Johnny and his rival Cage both ended up taking a beating from Kross and Moose.

:baby: Kaito Kiyomiya (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Early January tends to be overshadowed by New Japan, but the new Champ who is gaining (perhaps premature) comparisons to Misawa delivered his first successful title defense on the 6th of January against Kenou. It's a new NOAH and a new Champ, but will that mean anything in the voting?

:corrupt: Ronda Rousey (Raw Women's Champion) - Ronda was due to face Nia Jax but thanks to a kind and loving God this got changed into a feud with Sasha Banks. The two had a very good match at the Royal Rumble somewhat blunted by the fact everybody and their dog knew that Sasha was losing. Ronda continued to try and push her respect towards other wrestlers but got shook as gently caress on Raw when the crowd turned firmly against her, needing to be saved by Bayley who answered her open challenge. Postmatch, Women's Royal Rumble winner Becky Lynch came out to face Ronda, having already announced she would be facing her at Wrestlemania, and Ronda went from giving one of her worst ever promos to one of her best as she absolutely lost her poo poo at a smirking Becky.

Jay Lethal (ROH World Champion) - Lethal opened the year as he spent the back half of 2018, with a successful title defense. Defeating former champion Dalton Castle at Honor Reigns Supreme, he also had a successful defense later that month against Vinny Marseglia in the build to the co-promoted with New Japan G1 Supercard at Madison Square Garden in April.

:laugh: Kagetsu (World of Stardom Champion) - The Prime Minister of Stardom continues to provide strong and stable leadership in 2019, dispatching both Jungle Kyona and her own stablemate Hazuki. However with Kyona still breathing down her neck and Utami Hayashishita accumulating every belt she touches, how much longer can this government last. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:love: Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Kento defended vs. Kai in Korakuen Hall early in January in a match that was perhaps unfairly overshadowed by New Japan's Tokyo Dome, but that people who saw it claimed to be a great match. He'll defend again against Suwama late in February. Thanks to Thauros.

:boom: Miyu Yamashita (TOKYO Princess of Princess Champion) - Despite a spirited challenge from Maki Ito, the Megachamp never looked in trouble en route to passing a whole year as champion. Next up for Miyu is Nodoka Tenma, who holds the only singles victory over the champ since 2017. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:cripes: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) - Aldis defeated James Storm in the first NWA show of the year at the New Years Clash event. There was another title defense in January but I believe it was part of a ROH taping and may or may not have aired yet. Regardless of the winner of that match, your NWA Champion option for January can only be Nick Aldis.

:rory: Kenny Omega (FORMER IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - After FINALLY coming out on top in his feud against living God Kazuchika Okada, it seemed like 2018 would be the year of Kenny Omega. He had the title, his buddies in The Elite, Kota Ibushi (we should all be so lucky) and the world at his feet. Unfortunately for him, his return to the Tokyo Dome in arguably the biggest paid crowd New Japan has ever drawn there would once again end in defeat, and perhaps an end or at least interruption of his time in New Japan at the hands of...

:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - GO ACE! Tanahashi culminated a year long story as he went from being brutalized by Minoru Suzuki to the point people thought he was going on the shelf for months... to working his way to triumph in a spectacular G1 Climax and then returning to the main event of the Tokyo Dome. He was there to turn it around when the crowds were small and the promotion was struggling, and he returned to the top as New Japan continued its incredible rise in quality and critical/commercial success. Tanahashi would not be stopped. Time could not bring him down, the Ace of the Universe is not dead and the IWGP belt once again fills the gap in his outfit. GO ACE!

:yossame: Same poo poo, Different Year (None of the Above) - If you can't believe 2019 has no options for you just like 2018, or you just want to know the results, or want to express your None of the Above feelings, this is the option for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
As much of a rollercoaster the New Daniel Bryan’s Weed Belt has been, GO ACE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Daniel Bryan and Asuka but yeah for me it wasn't even close: GO ACE!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

WEED BELT

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

go ace

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The next greatest duelling chant

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

As much as I want to vote for Asuka, I can't deny the ace of the universe, the once in a century talent, the man who ended Kenny Omega's horrible title reign. Go Ace.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Any other month Vegan Shitlord Daniel Bryan and his WEED BELT would get my vote - and I don't even watch that poo poo but am still that entertained by it! - but I was there hollering GO ACE with 40000 Tanamaniacs when he won the god drat IWGP Heavykyuu belt. How could I vote for anyone else?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 1, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FICKLE! FICKLE! FICKLE!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IWGP title looks like a badge, ACAB, Weed Belt wins.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Go ACE!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Voted for The Planet's Champion so someday my children and my children's children can look back and know I did the right thing in an internet wrestling poll

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Go Ace!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tanahashi not only had a great victory over Kenneth Omega at Wrestle Kingdom, he had the heartwarming sendoff match with KUSHIDA which was also a really, really good match, and totally unrelated but the performance of Gokiburi Mask attacking his opponents with a fly swatter & toilet plunger was definitely the single most fun wrestling moment of the month.

GO ACE!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Put the IC title back in the poll so we can all vote for Taichi next month.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

goatass

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
420 smoak belt errday

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bryan has not seized the means of wrestling production and executed the McMahon-Helmsley family. He is a corporate bootlicker masquerading as a leftist. Thus, GO ACE!!!

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 1, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, this is not the steamroll I was expecting for Tanahashi, in fact right now WEEDLLOYD BONERHITLER is in the lead! There are 4 days left to vote.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Wow, this is not the steamroll I was expecting for Tanahashi, in fact right now WEEDLLOYD BONERHITLER is in the lead! There are 4 days left to vote.

4 days and 20 hours, you know what to do

vote weed belt

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Go Ace!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days to vote, Tanahashi has taken the lead but it is still extremely close between him and Daniel Bryan.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Go Ace!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Voted Kagetsu because I have no dog in the Bryan/Tanahashi race.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

karmicknight posted:

As much of a rollercoaster the New Daniel Bryan’s Weed Belt has been, GO ACE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well despite the guy running this poll deciding to get sidetracked and forget to actually remind people to vote OR that the poll had ended, we have Rowdy Ringsports' Pro-Wrestling Champion for January in the books, and it's not all that surprising that it is Hiroshi Tanahashi! Daniel Bryan put up a good effort and was even leading at times, but the Ace's return to the top of the mountain in New Japan was too good for the majority to pass up and he's back in the winner's circle for these polls for the first time since October of 2014!

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Looking forward to February becoming the start of the Switchblade Era for the poll

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Looking forward to February becoming the start of the Switchblade Era for the poll

quoting this because i'm down

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh yeah totally forgot when the lead was thin. I see what you did, Jerusalem!

Bet you eat meat too!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

J-ru I just realised that I should've just copied and pasted a heartbreak emoji 💔 into the first Kento PM I sent you instead of looking for a gif of the Undertale heart breaking into two, finding nothing and using :love: instead. I am a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll change it next time :)