Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

And this FINALLY came by ILL. I don't know that I make the end of the month on it, but I'm gonna read the bearfucking book anyways.

Discussion can always continue past the end of the month! It's cool!

this thread can move on canadian time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm Canadian and my dad is a retired high school english teacher, so it turns out he had heard of the bearfucking book.

He told me that the era the book had been released was sort of a golden age in Canadian lit, because Margaret Atwood's Survival had been published around this time and there was a lot of discussion about Canadian identity.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

mewse posted:

Margaret Atwood's Survival

Lol. Just like American lit is all about explorers on the frontier; Canadian lit is victims trying to survive.

Federalist Papers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

poisonpill posted:

Lol. Just like American lit is all about explorers on the frontier;

lol I am reading Blood Meridian right now and its glorious and gory and so not that.

Would be a decent BotM in fact

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Bilirubin posted:

lol I am reading Blood Meridian right now and its glorious and gory and so not that.

Would be a decent BotM in fact

Blood Meridian
Blood Meridian
Blood Meridian

Or All the Pretty Horses

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I wound up with the dull white hardcover with the Plausible as Kitchens quote.

I've got to say, there's a certain dread to reading knowing that any moment a woman could be loving a bear. It's like the Monster at the End of this Book, except instead of Grover, it's bear sex.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I liked all the bear-trivia-notes that homeowner was leaving around his desk. Dude loved bear facts almost as much as the women around him loved the bear.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
OK, so I finished this up. I agree with the consensus that the old lady was also banging the bear. I reckon it's not just Homer that knew, but he definitely did know.

I tend to agree with Chernobyl Kinsman that she's reclaiming her sexuality.

On the whole, a better book than I was expecting.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
my headcanon is that homer also hosed the bear

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's bear-tacular

But, seriously, if there are any notes or neat errors please post them

Only fun thing so far is a business card from the publisher fell out

Portrait...

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

my headcanon is that homer also hosed the bear

The very end thinking about Homer she mentions the distinctive ridge on his upper plate, which really called to mind the various other ridges mentioned re: bears.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Finally got the chance to read it tonight, just in time for the month's end. It was more plausible than my own mother's kitchen, put the shapeliness of even "Jack and the Beanstalk" to shame.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I finished this a few weeks ago, and as with most literature I feel a lot of themes went over my head.

I agree with the idea of the book being about her finding her sexuality again and improving herself. With a bear.

My favorite scene of the entire book was the previously mentioned dumping scene. Just goes on outside and drops one right on the ground. Geez.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Last call: suggestions for next month

last possible moment if not too late but Winter Tide

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finished the book.

It's very Canadian in a quaint 1970s way

- The wilderness is the best
- Escaping the rat race for the wilderness will fix everything
- A family that's lived in Canada for a hundred years are "tourists" because they're English colonizers
- Indigenous mysticism/fetishism
- Getting mauled by bears

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

last possible moment if not too late but Winter Tide

Remind me next month.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yo unsticky this and put up the V. thread

Please and thank you

I mean its still a few days until BotL is back surely you have nothing else to do right now :p

mewse
May 2, 2006

Am I a monster for laughing when the bear finally gets a hard-on and then immediately mauls our protagonist?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I refuse to believe anyone read that and didn't at least snigger.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

On the way in to work the CBC was interviewing Erica Jong's daughter about the impact of her mom's early 70s novel Fear of Flying, which I think puts Bear into better context for me. The time was the sexual revolution, second wave feminism, and having women write about sex in the same way as Norman Mailer or Henry Miller was apparently shocking. Bear then becomes more than "getting her groove back" as "claiming her groove for herself".

But with loving bear loving in northern Ontario, so a unique Canadian twist

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It's definitely a unique groove, I'll give it that. But yeah, the context of the 70s does change things. I have a pet theory that everyone was incredibly high all the time through the 70s, every bit of 70s art is insane.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the sexual revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

and Canadian wildlife