Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL

Lunar Suite posted:

Is that... not how it works? Barring Superbosses that chill somewhere in the world like... *google* Sealed Disaster, Ruler of Wind, Ruler of Light , and Twin Dragons, that's the biggest challenge for the average player.

You're right but in the other Ateliers I played (Dusk trilogy and Ryza trilogy) it was much easier to get access to the final equipment and item tiers way before the final boss, meanwhile in Sophie I got overwhelmed between some of the later recipe unlocks conditions and just not feeling like I had to make stronger items? I played the entire game in Hard and I got stonewalled multiple times (which I loved), but around the last 15 hours of the game I made a decently strong set of equipments (I think it was tier 3 weapons and armors) and steamrolled the rest of the game, so I had no reason to unlock and then make the strongest items that I was still missing.
It's probably my fault for not pacing myself correctly and again, I just didn't grok the whole progression and alchemy system which made for a weird experience in the latter part of the game, but all in all I liked the game, I'm looking forward to play the rest of the trilogy.

Sylphid posted:

Without commenting in particular on which characters return and which ones don't in the sequels, I will say Sophie has the distinction of being the only character in all 4 Mysterious games who is playable in each title. So if you like her, better get used to her.

Yay more Sophie! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

microfolk posted:

Around the last 15 hours of the game I made a decently strong set of equipments (I think it was tier 3 weapons and armors) and steamrolled the rest of the game, so I had no reason to unlock and then make the strongest items that I was still missing.

Tbh that was my Ryza experience - go completely monomaniacal, (ab)use Synthesis Loops to max out traits and quality as early as possible, end up with items so hilariously broken the game ceases to be a challenge, like equipment that gives more +ATK from the traits I stacked than its own innate stats. Snapping the difficulty curve in half is most of the attraction in modern Atelier for me, tbh!

Sophie also has the Inspiration system so if you don't look through the idea book and do your homework, some stuff simply won't unlock - I spent most of the game without the Breezy Aroma because I fast-travelled across the map rather than pressing X at the view of Kirchen Bell outside Sophie's Atelier.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

microfolk posted:

You're right but in the other Ateliers I played (Dusk trilogy and Ryza trilogy) it was much easier to get access to the final equipment and item tiers way before the final boss, meanwhile in Sophie I got overwhelmed between some of the later recipe unlocks conditions and just not feeling like I had to make stronger items? I played the entire game in Hard and I got stonewalled multiple times (which I loved), but around the last 15 hours of the game I made a decently strong set of equipments (I think it was tier 3 weapons and armors) and steamrolled the rest of the game, so I had no reason to unlock and then make the strongest items that I was still missing.
It's probably my fault for not pacing myself correctly and again, I just didn't grok the whole progression and alchemy system which made for a weird experience in the latter part of the game, but all in all I liked the game, I'm looking forward to play the rest of the trilogy.

Yay more Sophie! :3:

Sophie 1 has a weird sense of balance where you can access high tier combined traits fairly early in the game compared to most other games in the series, but they're not actually like, as awesome as they'd be in a comparable entry. Which means item quality is a pretty pretty big deal, which is a point that's pretty inconsistent in this series. Sometimes high quality on equipment counts for a lot (like Sophie 1, thankfully it also has the 999 Quality glitch for anything Logy / Leon makes), sometimes it is apparently completely irrelevant. What I like most about the balancing in that game, though, is DLC traits absolutely *destroy* anything in the base game. I recall the Ruler of Light or whatever that boss is called being very hard with normal traits from the base game but you can kill her in pretty much 2 turns with high-tier DLC traits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KariOhki posted:

I don't know why Gust insisted on labeling this a mainline series game. At least according to interviews there's actual games in the works.

eh, mana khemia is a mainline game too. i think people are slightly too precious with that label.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Mana Khemia is a fantastic game tho, not a live service that will probably die in 2-3 years.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
If you're gonna pull that out, the entire stretch from Iris 1 to Mana Khemia 2 are in the same style that breaks from other "traditional" Atelier - male leads, more focus on RPG and less about pure crafting.

But they still feel more fitting than a live service game by a different dev team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea but like, does it actually matter

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I actually like Atelier Resna. I'm only prevented from investing my full time in it with a fear that it won't be popular enough and go eos soon

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm just here to defend Mana khemia, the GOAT Atelier games

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm just here to defend Mana khemia, the GOAT Atelier games

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Please port Mana Khemia to Steam (and I guess other consoles too), Koei-Techmo. And I guess all the other localized PS2 Gust games, and then all the other JP-only Gust games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Question: anyone tried playing the older Atelier games on Steam Deck? There’s a big sale, but it’s still a lot of month to drop if the PC ports suck in general or they really aren’t comparable.

Also, that Marie remake good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the marie remake is fine. it doesnt really add anything substantial so its a fairly slight game and a bit repetitive, and some of the mechanics are clunky, but its still charming and they removed most of the major frustration points. if youre curious about the start of the series its worth a look.'

as for the older atelier games, https://www.protondb.com/search?q=atelier protondb is a good resource for steamdeck compatibility. it seems like most of the games need some tweaking but are playable?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

the marie remake is fine. it doesnt really add anything substantial so its a fairly slight game and a bit repetitive, and some of the mechanics are clunky, but its still charming and they removed most of the major frustration points. if youre curious about the start of the series its worth a look.'

as for the older atelier games, https://www.protondb.com/search?q=atelier protondb is a good resource for steamdeck compatibility. it seems like most of the games need some tweaking but are playable?

Tyym, especially for the protondb link

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tried the Atelier gatcha and now I keep getting notifications about my pies being ready...

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Yeah, you get one at reset and an additional one 6 hours after reset.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Question: anyone tried playing the older Atelier games on Steam Deck? There’s a big sale, but it’s still a lot of month to drop if the PC ports suck in general or they really aren’t comparable.

I'm not sure about the rest but I don't remember having any issues with Rorona, though playing it made me realize it's not a game I really want to play again because I do not like Astrid at all.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Tried the Atelier gatcha and now I keep getting notifications about my pies being ready...

Hi Rorona!

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Last Celebration posted:

I played Ayesha on the Steam Deck, and by default there are some issues (like prerendered cut scenes being broken). But there are a couple fixes out there that get things working, it just takes a bit of extra effort. Once I got them set up it all ran perfectly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Meruru has some pretty bad technical issues on Switch and I've heard on PC as well; I think it's a memory leak and has to do with leaving the game running long-term without ever fully closing out of it. Fully rebooting the game every so often fixes it. Definitely save and reset if you see any graphical glitch, no matter how minor.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
why is atelier sophie's alchemy so loving rear end

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
It's been a couple months since I finished it but yeah I'm not looking back at that system fondly. Does it get better in Firis and L&S?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sophie's alchemy system beats rear end and is my favorite in the series

I feel like the systems in Firis and L&S are notably worse

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's just Tetris

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Imagine being a dozen placements in and you discover you're missing a component.
ngl I haven't finished Sophie 2 and it's mostly 'cause the alchemy feels like a huge chore.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I liked Sophie's alchemy. It's the same system going forward for the rest of the Mysterious series, with tweaks, although I found L&S added too much to it. Tons of options if you really want to configure things, but I found it took too much.

Sophie 2's was one of my favourites in the series.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
okay i now understand why everyone was so down on sophie when it came out

i can handloe mid combat and alchemy but the characters are so boring

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Ryza's alchemy has coddled me by just having fucktons of Effect Spread + X options. You can unlock half the grid with one ingredient, like this nice all-purpose philosopher's stone, of which I replicated 10000 and left them lying around.

sophie 2's alchemy makes my brain hurt and I miss Ryza's easy all-in-one make/edit/replicate atelier controls.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the mysterious line has the best alchemy in general. Lydie and Suelle had the best until Sophie 2 dethroned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I guess it's great if you have puzzle brain.