Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
As the title says, I can only get the display to work in safemode (Windows 10).

I searched around for an answer and also posted to tom's hardware but got no answer. I originally thought this was my video card (GTX 970) so I ordered a new one (GTX 980) and installed it. I was able to boot into normal mode until windows discovered my card. I cannot install the newest drivers in safemode.

After researching further, I thought this may have been the PCIEx16 slot, so I used my other slot. The same sequence of events occurred. For reference, I've been able to get the previous card to work in the past with no issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Also, post all your system specs.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Video card: Had a GTX 970, bought a GTX 980 based on theory that video card was the issue
Processor: Intel I5 4590
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO GAMER
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Corsair CX600M 600W
HD: 500GB Samsung solid-state and Seagate 1TB hard drive

I just ordered a power supply tester to see if that's an issue. I'm thinking maybe it's not pushing enough power to the PCIE connections. I downloaded the BIOS update and am going to try to give that a whirl when I get back home.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Update: tried switching monitors and that worked. I have to figure out why the monitor doesn't work but relieved that the computer isn't the issue