Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
its ok to type flavour and behaviour, that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ka0 posted:

I support AmE because a world were program is sometimes spelled "programme", is a world I do not want to be a part of.

Don't even get me started on diphthongs

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
English speakers should not teach vowels as actual vowels, if anything they are all hosed up diphthongs and it makes learning the language drawn-out and frustrating affair.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JebanyPedal posted:

Too tame after someone said they hope Jose dies in his sleep.

They just said "never wake up". Comas are a thing too my man.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

hey jose, i really dont like U hahahaha

can't believe jose just took this lying down
how can I respect any of the mods now knowing they cN be subjected to this unmitigated humiliation and do nothing?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

e:

quote:

"reversal of fortune"
for the record I was not trying to get autistic edgy guy probed, I was heckling a mod because I don't respect authority

Cubone fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 14, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cubone posted:

can't believe jose just took this lying down
how can I respect any of the mods now knowing they cN be subjected to this unmitigated humiliation and do nothing?

Jose unfortunately passed in his sleep so we can let this one slide.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ka0 posted:

English speakers should not teach vowels as actual vowels, if anything they are all hosed up diphthongs and it makes learning the language drawn-out and frustrating affair.

What do you mean vowels as "actual vowels?"

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

SciFiDownBeat posted:

What do you mean vowels as "actual vowels?"

its like when you see girls pretend to pull their hair back into ponytails but dont

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wourd oup, my Euroupean brouther. I think the letters O and U should be tougether all ouf the time. Tou dou outherwise is nout courrectly ousing the qoueen's English.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
What with Brexit being a thing I think it's time to copyright the English language to England.

Ban the EU from using English to talk to each other.

While we were at it we could start charging the UN, the World Bank, the IMF, NATO and the USA for using our language.

Each sovereign, independent state has to have its own language.

As an English person I feel my my culture, ethnicity, geography and history is being violated by this appropriation of my language. I demand recompense as an aboriginal East Anglian, the place where English was first spoken.

Stop stealing the words of my ancestors or pay up and pay up big time.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

General China posted:

What with Brexit being a thing I think it's time to copyright the English language to England.

While we were at it we could start charging the UN, the World Bank, the IMF, NATO and the USA for using our language.

As an English person I feel my my culture, ethnicity, geography and history is being violated by this appropriation of my language. I demand recompense as an aboriginal East Anglian, the place where English was first spoken.

Maybe you should have thought about that before you lost the war, ya redcoat bastards.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Yeah, what are you gonna do huh, colonize us?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Infidel Castro posted:

Maybe you should have thought about that before you lost the war, ya redcoat bastards.

The sound of a monocle popping out into tea.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

General China posted:

france just came. all of them

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
now i get it, white flags

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Coolguye posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about non-deterministic and unsignaled pronunciation are both of these things

fe: like in what loving universe is pronunciation not part of the spoken characteristics of a language??

What? I'm talking about the writing. There's absolutely no reason "trough" "bough" and "rough" have to be spelled that way. We could just as easily spell them "troff" "bow" and "ruff" and it would be a lot easier for foreigners to understand.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

General China posted:

Get in your time machine and keep your ancestors off my ancestor's island, so I can be speaking a phlegmy, gutter bog language with way too many Gs and apostrophes.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I always spell "color" like loving "Colour".

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sucrose posted:

What? I'm talking about the writing. There's absolutely no reason "trough" "bough" and "rough" have to be spelled that way. We could just as easily spell them "troff" "bow" and "ruff" and it would be a lot easier for foreigners to understand.

Let me tel u abowt my guy melvil dewey

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

why is there a green ellipse highlighting the funny bit. are we supposed to be so thick we wouldn't otherwise notice

also nice jpg artifacts

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sucrose posted:

Except then the spellings still wouldn't make sense in other regions with different accents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Anyway how could american english removed the U from a bunch of words but not should/could/would?

I'm pretty sure the original webster reforms did remove the u from those words, but most words in his baby speak version of English didn't catch on.