Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

To be fair, we humans did this to ourselves first

Yeah we went from baboon-looking motherfuckers to having a tiny, dainty child-like face, at least by primate standards. However it wouldn't be a fair comparison unless we humans didn't evolve that way naturally but some superintelligent beings thought we should look a certain way and kept on breeding past what nature would do until we had gigantic eyes and a tiny narrow anime nose that was impossible to breathe through. Pugs, Boston Terriers, German Shepherds, etc. all can have healthy bodies if bred right...aka not AKC style. The dogs can't breathe and Pugs can even have their eyes fall out of their sockets. :barf: They really need to reform some of the breed standards for the welfare of the poor dogs. Like I love me some squishy faced bulldogish breeds but it's not worth sentencing them to a lifetime of pain and suffering.

Here's an example of a French Bulldog with a standard nose (aka high chance of breathing issues) and a healthier, longer nosed version bred by a kennel who cares about that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

19th century pug:

21st century pug:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

IMO we should just start over and re-domesticate wolves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTh36lwIJF0

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
My favorite dog is the one who is a good puppies (its all of them)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

My wife's grandma had a pug that looked like that only fatter, his back legs dont work real good anymore and he cant really control his poops but dang is he a lil sweethart. Somehow he is still alive even though he is like 14 now

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

vandalism posted:

dog shows own mane go to one and tell me they dont

Dogs are cool. Seeing all the different breeds of dogs is cool.

Dog shows that judge dogs for their looks rather than function inevitably end up selecting dogs with more and more extreme breed characteristics, until the dog show-ers are breeding hosed up mutants that can't even live a healthy life, much less do whatever the breed was originally bred to do.

Dog shows suck.

edit: beaten to this post like a pug with too long of a snout by a million other posters

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Nooner posted:

My wife's grandma had a pug that looked like that only fatter, his back legs dont work real good anymore and he cant really control his poops but dang is he a lil sweethart. Somehow he is still alive even though he is like 14 now

I hope reincarnation is real and that pug was really bad in a former life, because otherwise it lived 14 years in agony for no good reason at all.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Dog shows are fun as long as they're the lighthearted sporty kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iTTNRE-njM

dog beauty contests are NOT cool

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Nooner posted:

My favorite dog is the one who is a good puppies (its all of them)

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1095228771970371584

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

free hubcaps posted:

sounds like he was a good boy and his owner screwed him over

also schipperkes are real cute

wow i didn't realize moon moon was a meme back in the 1500s

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think dogs are really cool and I wish they weren't broken mutants anymore

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
my parents have show bull terriers and their heads are really cool

e: the bull terriers
my parents' heads are just ok

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that dog's not so shaggy

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Actually, it's about ethics in dog shows.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

I don't understand why anyone would try to make a dog without a snout. That's like the second best part of a dog!

(the best part is the whole dog, which is greater than just parts of a dog summed together)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Sucrose posted:

Dogs are cool and good, dog shows are not.

Cool and good

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hot, but I'd hardly call it a sex pose.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
That's ruff, OP.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
My aunt's pug sneezed its eye out of its socket one day, lol
That thing was hosed up.

Now she and her husband breed short-lived and ill-tempered cocker spaniels.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kak posted:

No collusion

I still won't like him but if trump comments on this scandal with his usual cries I'd probably laugh

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

akc ruins the breeding of good working/hunting dogs by encouraging breeders to breed for aesthetic traits that have nothing to do with why the dogs and breeds exist, with the exception of useless toy breeds. if you don't hunt rabbits you shouldn't be breeding beagles because you can't possibly evaluate which ones are the best and strongest

Exactly. They shouldn't have pitbull shows if they don't have a child eating competition

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

IMO we should just start over and domesticate bears

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

bears are already domesticated

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I can understand, in principle anyway, wanting to breed for aesthetic traits to make the dog cuter, but all of the traits breeders seem to like just make the dog uglier and weird looking. Modern-day pugs are monstrosities, german shepherds look better without sloped backs, and that bulldog with the longer snout is cuter than the one with the "proper" snout. What is going on with these people.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Exactly. They shouldn't have pitbull shows if they don't have a child eating competition
Since dogfighting and baby eating are out of fashion pitbulls are essentially a useless toy breed for dudes with small dicks and could probably benefit from 100 generations of inbreeding for passive cuteness

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
COLLUSION IS NOT A CRIME!!!!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

poverty goat posted:

Since dogfighting and baby eating are out of fashion pitbulls are essentially a useless toy breed for dudes with small dicks and could probably benefit from 100 generations of inbreeding for passive cuteness

The dogs or the dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

vandalism posted:

The whippet Whiskey was favored to win the whole thing, but his sister beat him in the breed ring so he never made it on tv. The sporting group judge bred 2 of the best of breed winners in that group so they could not show in the group. Also, Bean's grandpa was bred by the sporting group judge. The woman handling the havanese is the wife of the guy won handled last year's best in show winner.

Goodness. It's like a small town kiddie pageant.