Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I’m thinking it could be a bit like stealing a gift card out of someone’s bag versus stealing it from the grocery store checkout aisle before it’s been sold (or stealing an unactivated iPhone from the Apple store vs pickpocketing one). Of course Big’un isn’t going to track who’s been trading his favors around once they’ve been given, so by the time a ruby’s made its way through 15 pairs of hands, there’s no way to arbitrate its “true” owner. They’re meant to be traded. Even if he does remember “thirty years ago, this favor was traded to a hunter in exchange for several racks of antlers, which were then used to make these specific hats” (think Ollivander’s), when the Baroness of Tik-Tak-Tek comes by wanting something to wear to her third-cousin’s coronation, how’s he to know or care how she got it?

But this? This ruby that’s maybe a week old, that hasn’t been traded, ever, that was given to his daughter to trade on his behalf?

That troll just picked the wrong mark and bit off way more than he can chew. A legal complaint seems perfectly reasonable. Big’un is important and as long as Littl’un is a little girl, she doesn’t need to stick up for herself or handle her own problems when the system can be leveraged to do it for her.

However, if Littl’un ever sees the troll who robbed her again, in a situation where he can’t defend himself against her, she needs to run up and bite him as hard as she can. Insults don’t go unpunished even if we’re still running to grownups to solve our problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Track down the troll.

The debt was made with blood magic. It can be used to compel Bigun and cannot be ignored.

We have no mask so our testimony that the troll stole from us holds no weight in court.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Apocron posted:

This is an interesting line of thought. You’re suggesting some kind of legal action against the Gits? I assume the Debt must still have some kind of value otherwise theft would be pointless. Maybe it could be used in some kind of ritual against Big’un since it uses his blood?

Also Aon will suggest way you could try and ambush the troll next time I update.

I think it wouldn't be so much legal as rumors underground making that particular troll a pariah/mark until the debt was returned soley based on Bigguns reputation. Sorta like when an underling Rob's the wrong establishment.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Toughy posted:

I think it wouldn't be so much legal as rumors underground making that particular troll a pariah/mark until the debt was returned soley based on Bigguns reputation. Sorta like when an underling Rob's the wrong establishment.

Also, if Big'un can tell the difference between this stolen ruby and the other rubies, but other people can't, then that taints all the similar rubies, and if that troll's a minor player in the underground, it's possible other thieves (or merchants) trying to unload their stocks might not appreciate an official announcement to their potential clients that there's a dud ruby on the market.

It's a lot harder to sell something, especially on the black market, when there's a known "counterfeit" possibly being fenced at the same time. It's not altruism. It's just business.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 25, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

If people couldn’t assess the real value of debt gems then wouldn’t they be useless for trading through unknown third-parties like Bigun expected us to do with the phoenix?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

malbogio posted:

If people couldn’t assess the real value of debt gems then wouldn’t they be useless for trading through unknown third-parties like Bigun expected us to do with the phoenix?

Not if each real debt gem has the same value (1 hat, regardless of if it's a 25-year-old-traded-for-feathers gem or a 5-year-old-traded-for-cloth gem), while a dud gem has a lower value (1 hostile blood ritual + the wrath of Big'un).

Our stolen debt isn't even really a counterfeit/fake gem -- it'd pass any sort of typical "is this a ruby or colored glass" or "was this ruby made with Big'un's blood or someone else's" test.

That makes it extra poisonous, because that would mean the market was never prepared for two seemingly-identical objects to have different values, and if the dud gem stays in the market, that WILL make all debt gems harder to assess and trade through unknown third-parties.

That's our incentive for everyone who participates in the debt gem market to find the dud gem and give it back to us/remove it from the market.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 25, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

In that scenario how is anyone supposed to prove that the debt gem they are offering in trade isn’t a dud? And why would people accept potential dud gems from strangers when more reliable currency is available?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

malbogio posted:

In that scenario how is anyone supposed to prove that the debt gem they are offering in trade isn’t a dud? And why would people accept potential dud gems from strangers when more reliable currency is available?

Literally 0 dud gems (well, 1 now) should be available in the market because no one has in the past successfully stolen a debt gem from Big'un (and he could prove that by just saying so, since he would be the one to accept/refuse an offered gem).

It should never have been a concern in the first place (assuming he only cares if they're stolen from him/his household, not from whoever he traded them to), except that one troll made a very bad life choice. Even if authenticity was a concern because there were dud gems on the market, resolving that is simple enough on a longer-term scale -- gather a bunch of them together and ask Big'un to authenticate them the next time he's in town ("we heard some debt gems were stolen from you, here's the ones our guild has, if any were illicitly gotten, we are giving them back to you now as a show of good will").

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Ah so we’re picturing things a bit differently.

I was assuming debt gems were a form of magical currency which anyone talented in magic could create and which bound the person who dispensed it in a geas to do a single favor of the owner’s choosing or suffer a magical punishment that would last until said favor was completed.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok, as you can tell by the pause I’m a bit stumped about how to move things forward. I think maybe the protagonist’s passivity was a little surprising for me but it’s fair that if we’re playing a child in a difficult foreign environment people’s suggestions are reasonable, just not compelling for me personally. I like the world we started to create and I’m sorry to disappoint but maybe we need a different focal point or I need to restart and go a different direction with the CYOA. I’ve toyed with doing something on a more political level in sci fi or fantasy. What do people think?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Apocron posted:

Ok, as you can tell by the pause I’m a bit stumped about how to move things forward. I think maybe the protagonist’s passivity was a little surprising for me but it’s fair that if we’re playing a child in a difficult foreign environment people’s suggestions are reasonable, just not compelling for me personally. I like the world we started to create and I’m sorry to disappoint but maybe we need a different focal point or I need to restart and go a different direction with the CYOA. I’ve toyed with doing something on a more political level in sci fi or fantasy. What do people think?

It's your game, your free time, whatever you decide I'll read and vote and enjoy. If this isn't making you happy best to find something that will.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Apocron posted:

Maybe just take over another character for a bit? Have Littl'un go to whatever passes for the police and have a few updates playing as a detective/constable who has to crack down on the local criminals to get back the debt.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Do a "here's a mug of hot cocoa, we're gonna let Big Un know you got bamboozled but we're on top of it" update. Should let you narrate and storyboard at the same time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think we should actively press for legal measures. Start by finding the Lord and Lady - we must know them decently well by now, and they'll be keyed into local power structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
"Then I'll take the Shadow Gits to court."

Aon blinks. Once, twice, thrice.

"And how exactly is you supposing to pay for that considerings you seem to have very little by way gems. (Said gems having been pilfered). Them's that law is not known for their kindness and them's that law for themselves are not known for their winnings."