Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

I think the other Enderal thread got archived so I thought I would make a new one since it just got a new DLC and steam release.

Description from steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

quote:

Enderal: Forgotten Stories is a total conversion for TES V: Skyrim: a game modification that is set in its own world with its own landscape, lore and story. It offers an immersive open world, all for the player to explore, overhauled skill systems and gameplay mechanics and a dark, psychological storyline with believable characters.

Enderal is free and can be played by anyone owning a legal copy of TES V: Skyrim. (No DLCs are necessary.) It is developed non-commercially by SureAI, the team behind the renowned Oblivion mod "Nehrim: At Fate´s Edge" (and various other projects).
I played through Enderal when it first came out and thought it was really good. This DLC adds back a bunch of things they had to cut in order to get their initial release out the door.

New in this DLC:

quote:

Added in Forgotten Stories

Two "crafting classes" that utilize alchemy and enchanting for combat – use potions to shapeshift into a werewolf as the Lycantrope, use enchanting to craft spirit companions as the Phasmalist.
Improved performance and stability for a smooth experience.
Twelve new sidequests and two non-linear guild questlines: Work your way up the Golden Sickle, Enderal's merchant's guild and infiltrate the ranks of the Rhalâta, the enigmatic cult ruling the Undercity.
Reworked and improved crafting, spells, and much more.

This is a pretty barebones OP, I mainly just wanted a place to talk about this. I have it downloading now. All you need is a copy of oldrim https://store.steampowered.com/app/72850/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim/ on your steam account, you don't need to install it. Enderal is standalone now. The devs say you need to start a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wait, it's finally out? YESSSSSSS! I've been waiting to start a new game of this!

Just one question, do console commands still work? :shobon:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

CommissarMega posted:

Wait, it's finally out? YESSSSSSS! I've been waiting to start a new game of this!

Just one question, do console commands still work? :shobon:

I just tested for you. Yep, they work.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Welp, didn't know this existed. Gonna have to download it even though I have a trillion other things to play. Nehrim is my favorite *Elder Scrolls* and this looks even more interesting.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I just tested for you. Yep, they work.

Nice! I don't have to worry about getting stuck in level geometry then, it looks like!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Nice I forgotten Enderal actually came out. I sunk a good 20 hours into Nehrim but didn't finish it because I couldn't stand Oblivion's combat and at least Skyrim's somewhat tolerable.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do you need a clean install of Skyrim for this to work or what?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I should really give Enderal another shot. I started playing it and it seemed impressive but I think I quit around the time I got to what I believe was the second major city in the game. The city was absolutely massive with multiple districts and a big underground section and it felt kind of overwhelming and turned me off.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Fun Times! posted:

Do you need a clean install of Skyrim for this to work or what?

It's a standalone title. It just checks if you own Skyrim.

Dice Cut Tomatoes
Jan 6, 2016

J-Spot posted:

I should really give Enderal another shot. I started playing it and it seemed impressive but I think I quit around the time I got to what I believe was the second major city in the game. The city was absolutely massive with multiple districts and a big underground section and it felt kind of overwhelming and turned me off.

I remember feeling the same way. I think it ended up being easier when I bought a house and learned where everything was from there instead of from the city entrance. It's near some shops and such.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How does modding Enderal work? Do skyrim mods still work as when Enderal was a conversion, or is there some new process for the new version.

Iockpick mod ftw

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How does modding Enderal work? Do skyrim mods still work as when Enderal was a conversion, or is there some new process for the new version.

Iockpick mod ftw

It looks like they are working on an update for mod organizer 2. https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/releases

quote:

Warning: Until Enderal team releases an update the game will be unable to read the MO2 plugins.txt, instead reading the one in Appdata/Local/enderal due to an incompatibility with USVFS and SkyrimRedirector.dll. They are on it.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
This game is great and you can't argue with the price.

Are there any up to date class guides? I played this a few years ago, you could dual class into hidden classes. Have this changed with the new classes?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It looks like they are working on an update for mod organizer 2. https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/releases

The patch today lets this work now.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I've downloaded and started playing this over the last week or so and am really impressed with it. It actually amazes me that Bethesda allowed them to put it out as a standalone thing because it shows them up big style by being better than Skyrim in almost every way so far.

Initially, I was placing my memory points into the rogue trees, roughly across trickster and infiltration and a few vagabond. Now I have realised that I should have perhaps focused on magic as it seems much more interesting. Is there a way to retrain?!

After wandering about the Sun Coast, I booked it to Ark, basically leaving the big castle on the coast unexplored. I could go back, but does the game have scaling ala Skyrim where you can just do anything at any level? Have I missed out on much by beelining the capitol? Is there any brilliant area that I have missed or should make it my mission to head to?

There have been some great moments so far

entering the under city beneath Ark. Rivals the entrance to BlackReach in Skyrim imo

my exploration around Ark leading me to find Yeros tower and secret base with a weird alchemy table in it. Finding an absolutely sick Aztec looking dagger with about 5x the damage of my iron dagger. Reminded me a lot of stumbling on that sword in Balmora in Morrowind.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

mitochondritom posted:

Is there a way to retrain?!

After wandering about the Sun Coast, I booked it to Ark, basically leaving the big castle on the coast unexplored. I could go back, but does the game have scaling ala Skyrim where you can just do anything at any level? Have I missed out on much by beelining the capitol? Is there any brilliant area that I have missed or should make it my mission to head to?

I don't think you can retrain without a mod or using the console. You can for sure do it with the console.

This game doesn't have scaling so you kind of want to work your way through the places that are appropriate for your level. If you skip too much stuff you are going to have a harder time later on. Quests show how difficult they are with stars * is low level and *** is high level.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mitochondritom posted:

my exploration around Ark leading me to find Yeros tower and secret base with a weird alchemy table in it. Finding an absolutely sick Aztec looking dagger with about 5x the damage of my iron dagger. Reminded me a lot of stumbling on that sword in Balmora in Morrowind.

Did you read all the notes there? They unlock a secret, newly-added third ending to the game.

And yes, Enderal does show up Skyrim quite neatly, I think. My only gripe with it is that the intro takes a while to properly get started and is quite railroady- apart from that though, it's not worth touching Skyrim after Enderal.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Enderal is really loving good people, if you haven't played it you should do it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Did you read all the notes there? They unlock a secret, newly-added third ending to the game.

And yes, Enderal does show up Skyrim quite neatly, I think. My only gripe with it is that the intro takes a while to properly get started and is quite railroady- apart from that though, it's not worth touching Skyrim after Enderal.

Yes I read the notes. I won't read your spoiler to preserve my spoiler free game state. But I am sort of trying to piece together how the world works. After speaking to the Nehrimese mage in the Sun Temple I understand that magic in this game works by the Wizards seeing all possible realities and sort of bringing part of another reality into the one we are in. From reading those notes I guess Yero was planning to bring a reality where his girlfriend didn't die into this one? or something like that.

I thought the opening was OK, I can see a lot of people being put off by the dream sequence with Daddy. It was very odd and I didn't really like it. After that the stuff with the boat and cave, culminating with meeting Jespar was pretty good, if railroaded.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

mitochondritom posted:

I thought the opening was OK, I can see a lot of people being put off by the dream sequence with Daddy. It was very odd and I didn't really like it. After that the stuff with the boat and cave, culminating with meeting Jespar was pretty good, if railroaded.

I love the game overall but I think the first three hours are the weakest. You are stuck on rails for ages and then the second you get into the open world you get beat to poo poo and have no safe area to establish yourself. I think I just ran to the first town and worked backwards from there.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
So how are you supposed to find souls anyway? There doesn't seem to be any real-world indication when there's one around, and just using net of souls every ten seconds as you explore doesn't seem like a fun time.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Agnostalgia posted:

So how are you supposed to find souls anyway? There doesn't seem to be any real-world indication when there's one around, and just using net of souls every ten seconds as you explore doesn't seem like a fun time.
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpov5JKvBbM&t=119s

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having played the former version, I recall the story annoying me. Parts of it work really well, but there's others that made me roll my eyes, like the writing just took a turn for the worse at the drop of a hat.

It probably doesn't help that some of the translated lines come off a bit weird either.

The mentioned possible third ending might rectify some of the issues I had, but I am not so sure.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is shards of order a different game? I downloaded forgotten stories, should I be playing something else first?

Also, I'm playing stealth/archer...yet I keep getting owned by magic. Is magic just super powerful? Should I be doing something differently?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

UltraRed posted:

Is shards of order a different game? I downloaded forgotten stories, should I be playing something else first?

Also, I'm playing stealth/archer...yet I keep getting owned by magic. Is magic just super powerful? Should I be doing something differently?

It's the same game, Forgotten Stories is the DLC name, and it's fully integrated into the single campaign.

Enemy mages are massive bastards, I found paralyze poisoned arrows and other disablers to be helpful. If they're not blocking a quest objective, not fighting them is a pro-tier choice as well.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

mitochondritom posted:

Initially, I was placing my memory points into the rogue trees, roughly across trickster and infiltration and a few vagabond. Now I have realised that I should have perhaps focused on magic as it seems much more interesting. Is there a way to retrain?!

There is a specific respec add-on mod for Enderal in the workshop. I downloaded it after being pissed off about a bug, but figured out a work-around so haven't actually tested it.

(The bug was that the special finishing moves that change the camera gently caress up when you're (a) firing an arrow and (b) significantly higher or lower than what you're shooting. The arrow just drills into the ground or up into the sky and you actually miss your "critical hit". Solution: Just turn off the critical hit cam in the settings. I was told this was a bug in the original Skyrim, but I don't remember it happening?)

I actually started the Phantasmilist tree later in the game, so I just checked this page to see if there were any souls in places I had already been, and then went back and grabbed them if so (and basically just ignored places that weren't familiar). (Spoilers, obvs.)

UltraRed posted:

Don't be afraid to turn the difficulty down at the very beginning--you're squishy as hell and mages and wolves suck rear end. I struggled a bit for my first couple of levels, turned it down, had a much better time, and then turned it back up around the time I hit level 10 or so and things were getting too easy, and then turned it up again now that I'm a harbinger of death. Deathclaws are about the only things that make me hesitate much at this point. And that drat black myrad. :argh:

Yeah, the dialogue is a little cringy at times, there are occasional bugs and rough spots, and it CTDs pretty reliably for me every 2-3 hours, but bottom line: This game is really loving good and if you enjoyed Skyrim at all you should play it.

Edit @ the OP: You might want to put "Skyrim" in the thread title somewhere so people who have no idea what Enderal is but love Skyrim actually pay any attention to the thread whatsoever. :)

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 20, 2019

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

aas Bandit posted:

Edit @ the OP: You might want to put "Skyrim" in the thread title somewhere so people who have no idea what Enderal is but love Skyrim actually pay any attention to the thread whatsoever. :)

That is a good idea, I have to ask a games mod to do that right?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Shemp the Stooge posted:

That is a good idea, I have to ask a games mod to do that right?

I'm assuming you did that? Or maybe a mod took pity on you? :)

I'm almost at the end of the game, but I'm stuck on a quest ("Fleshless") due to a recent scripting change the broke poo poo. Supposedly it will be fixed in the next patch, but apparently there's only one dude currently bugfixing and he's kinda buried in RL stuff, so couldn't really give me an ETA.

This is after the "starting this quest will complete the game, are you sure you want to do that?" warning, so if you get there, I'd suggest just loving around and doing more quests for a while until the patch hits.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

aas Bandit posted:

I'm assuming you did that? Or maybe a mod took pity on you? :)

I'm almost at the end of the game, but I'm stuck on a quest ("Fleshless") due to a recent scripting change the broke poo poo. Supposedly it will be fixed in the next patch, but apparently there's only one dude currently bugfixing and he's kinda buried in RL stuff, so couldn't really give me an ETA.

This is after the "starting this quest will complete the game, are you sure you want to do that?" warning, so if you get there, I'd suggest just loving around and doing more quests for a while until the patch hits.

Yeah, I did. I am not near that part yet but it's good to know. I am really taking my time with this playthrough.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Just in case anyone's still playing this, I picked it back up after the latest update and the quest bug I was stuck on has been fixed. I finished it up tonight and was overall super impressed. There was one long dialogue/explanation/exposition toward the end that was entirely too loving long and got really tiresome, but the ending itself was satisfying (apparently I got one that was relatively uncommon?).

If you like Elder Scrolls games, this is a must-play.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

aas Bandit posted:

There was one long dialogue/explanation/exposition toward the end that was entirely too loving long and got really tiresome, but the ending itself was satisfying (apparently I got one that was relatively uncommon?).

Yeah, tell me about it. Can't really blame the devs though, Dave Fennoy is a hell of a catch; I suppose they booked him on a slow day and they wanted to maximize their investment. Which ending did you get, by the way? I drank the oblivion potion right after I fired an arrow at one of the crystals. I also want to post this :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Are we sure you don't need Elder Scrolls installed, because when I tried to run this game it gave a message "Elder Scrolls Skyrim failed to start," which it wouldn't on account I haven't got it installed right now.

edit: Weird, it works now.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 21, 2019

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

CommissarMega posted:

Which ending did you get, by the way?

I opted to sacrifice myself to destroy the beacon while Calia escaped with what she knew to try to prevent the cycle from happening again. But...she came back for me, and rescued me from the rubble and now we're both going to be happy together while we try to spread the truth to the (non-destroyed portion of the) world.

Unless she or I or both of us are insane/hallucinating, which the game raises as a possibility. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Oh nice, there's a thread, though its old.
I had a bunch of problems getting this to run.
But after deleting the ini files multiple times and verifying multiple times it finally loaded.