Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Introduction
I will be presenting steps in the order I actually did them, so there will be some jumping between dishes, but most of that is stuff like I had to pickle stuff overnight or boil beans for a few hours. Here's a little bit about my selection of dishes and the recipes. Overall the trend is that the main is heavier body than the side which is in turn heavier body than the dessert.

Main: Red Beans and Rice
Beans. As someone who spent a lot of his early years in Louisiana, few main dishes come to mind for this as quickly as Red Beans and Rice. In this case, I'm going to try doing it in an Instant Pot so see if I can cut down the cook time.

1 lb red kidney beans
1 red onion
4 ribs of celery
1 bell pepper
20 g minced garlic (approximately 6 cloves)
2 bay leaves
2 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 c pork stock (leftover from sous vide pork ribs)
Salt and pepper to taste

Side: Blackeye pea salad with pickled onions, daikon, and carrot.
After looking around a bit, I initially settled on this bean salad recipe from Serious Eats. However, after looking through it, I decided to take the basic framework of this recipe and change things up a bit. I still made the pickled onions since they also work great to accompany beans and rice. However, I decided I wanted to add a little bit more and went with inspiration from banh'mi to add pickled daikon and carrot along with using cilantro rather than parsley.

Onion Pickles
3 medium onions finely chopped
1 cup water
1.5 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Daikon and carrot pickles
0.5 lb daikon
0.5 lb carrot
2 cups rice vinegar
1 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
1.5 tablespoons salt

Salad:
1 lb blackeye peas
2 ribs celery
2 carrots
1/2 medium onion
2 bay leaves
250 g onion pickles
All of the daikon/carrot pickles
1 cup chopped cilantro
120 g roasted almonds
3 chopped green onions

Vinaigrette:
3/4 cup olive oil
1.5 tbsp pickling liquid from daikon and carrot
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Black pepper to taste

Dessert: Lu Dou Tang
I don't really like making dessert, but if I had to pick a bean based sweet that is stupid easy to make and is a good light finisher, Lu Dou Tang (lit. Green Bean Soup) would be my first choice. This works out for me since it drives a trend from heavier to lighter body going from Main to Side to Dessert. In addition, I can easily make only a single portion so I don't get stuck with a bunch of sweet stuff that I feel obligated to eat within the next week. I'm going to sweeten with Stevia here since I'm trying to cut down on added sugar.

35 grams mung beans
1.0 g stevia (2 tsp)
2 c water, plus more as needed during boil

Preparation
1. Pickles need to be prepped the day before at least. Julienne carrots and daikon and add to its pickling liquid. Finely chop onions and add them to their pickling liquid. Refrigerate both until ready to use. This is a quick pickle so assume they won't last more than a month or two. I will be using all of the daikon and carrot and most of the onions in this preparation.

2. Lu Dou Tang is served chilled so we can make that a little bit ahead of time. For a single serving I'll be using 35 grams of mung beans which was the package serving size. I'm aiming for between 1-2 cups of liquid at the end, so I will boil with two cups and add more water as needed. Boil 2 hours then cool to room temperature and chill before serving. Dessert done.

3. Since we're going to be boiling beans for a salad which will also be served either at room temperature or chilled, we may as well boil them too. To give some more flavor to the beans, I added about 50 grams of salt to the 3 quarts of boiling liquid. In addition, I also added some spare aromatics from other parts of the meal. Boil until done ~1 hour.

4. While we're waiting for beans to boil or chill, let's get the main dish started. Chop onions, celery, and bell pepper (i.e. Trinity). Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and cook on medium until aromatics are softened. Then add garlic and cook until fragrant.

5. When aromatics are ready, add beans and enough water/other liquid to cover, about 2 quarts total. I used 1 quart of water in which I bloomed a packet of gelatin along with 3 cups of bag liquid from when I did sous vide spare ribs. Add bay leaves, cayenne, and season to taste. I try to prepare this somewhat mild since it's easier to adjust it up later on than it is to bring it back if I overshoot. Pressure cook on high for an hour. I originally put it in for 30 minutes as dictated by another recipe, but I suspect it was assuming full 15 bars since the beans were nowhere close to done at that point. This also ended up being a bit too much water since you don't really lose much to evaporation in this cooking method, so I ended up simmering it for another 30 minutes to reduce.

6. Well poo poo I kind of want something to eat now. May as well make some miso soup (miso is a bean product). Bring one cup dashi plus reserved liquid from rehydrating 3 shitakes to a boil then turn off heat. Add sliced shitakes and miso paste and stir to combine. Add chopped greens from one green onion.

7. Black eye peas are done boiling since we actually care if the split unlike the Lu Dou Tang. Remove aromatics and drain beans. Transfer beans into a large bowl and fold in 1 cup of chopped cilantro, 3 chopped green onions, 120 g roasted almonds, 200 g of drained onion pickles, and all of the daikon pickles. Make a vinaigrette by mixing 1.5 tbsp of the daikon/carrot pickle liquid with 1 tbsp rice vinegar, and 1 tbsp dijon mustard before whisking in 3/4 c olive oil. Add black pepper to taste and fold into salad.

8. After a frustrating restart of pressure cooking since the beans weren't actually cooked, serve red beans over cooked rice. If desired, you can put some of the pickled onions in as well since the vinegar works great here.

Lessons Learned
The most obvious is that 30 minutes on high pressure in an electric is nowhere near enough. Go for an hour and either naturally depressurize or wait a bit before doing the rapid depressurize. On the side dish, the pickling liquid was barely adequate in quantity and the salad does not work well as a stand alone since the acidity becomes extremely pronounced, though it worked fine to accompany the main or for topping greens. This is likely a side effect of me upping the acidity from the base recipes I found in paranoia of adequate pickling. For the dessert, bean:water ratio was too skewed to beans so either increase end water volume by about 50% (sweeten to taste) or cut down on beans so the end product isn't too dense.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This all looks tasty, but especially the pickly side, I’m definitely going to try that myself.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just be aware that the amount of pickling liquid for the daikon and carrots I made was just barely adequate in the container I used.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Haha I just noticed your sly (miso is a bean product). Clever!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
How did the dessert come out? Everything looks solid!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dino. posted:

How did the dessert come out? Everything looks solid!

Bean to water ratio ended up too high at the end even after adding about another cup of water to account for boiled off liquid. Sweetness was barely noticeable, but in this case I was aiming for that. If I was making it again I'd cut the beans to half or three quarters of what I used here, use pearled barley for the remaining weight since the starchiness emulates boba better, and increase end liquid volume to 1.5-2 cups.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Scientastic posted:

This all looks tasty, but especially the pickly side, I’m definitely going to try that myself.

Fashionably late, but so very same. That pea and pickle salad is definitely going on the menu in the near future (as are the multiple different sours from various threads, because apparently beans cause sours).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waci posted:

Fashionably late, but so very same. That pea and pickle salad is definitely going on the menu in the near future (as are the multiple different sours from various threads, because apparently beans cause sours).

I just stuck a lessons learned section at the bottom of the OP. The bean salad ends up pretty pungent on its own due to the acidity, but still works fine when accompanying other dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Red beans and rice, miso soup and that black eyed pea side are very much my jam, and those all look great. The mung bean dessert looks... interesting...

Great entry.