Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
These revelations about skybear's motives make me extremely interested in if we had just said 'gently caress it' and gone full emerald empire native. I suppose we're probably one of many irons in the fire, but the matriarch played a dangerous game with us. It would not be a *major* stretch to simple decide to sell out home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Chatrapati posted:

Why did the once-born not have dantians?

I think this answered in-game. I know you got the Emerald Empire answer and I thought you'd gotten the real answer too.

Dantians are condensed madra, which in turn is controllable condensed vital essence. Once born aren't given anything with significant amounts of vital-essence in it to eat. Sometimes they hunt enough spirits or forage enough plants to form a dantian "naturally". This is where people like Chew Chengzhang come from. Traditionally, most of the Great Houses execute these people for "stealing" vital essence. The Yun, persuaded by then young Yun Tzu were the first to experiment with trying to train them on any large scale via the Luxing Travelling Academy.

Chatrapati posted:

What was the deal with the creeping water?
?

In the caves during the final LTA trial? It was just wet and you were undergound in limestone caves. They flood a lot.

Chatrapati posted:

How did it come to be that Wotjeo could speak all of a sudden? I know that you admitted it was a mistake, but it seems so crazy to me to forget that a bear couldn't talk!
I just did. Sorry.

Spirits were always going to talk after reaching the appropriate tier. I just kind of forgot. I had pages and pages of notes. Too many to review before every update.

Chatrapati posted:

Was the Empire's science (in regard to dantians and things like that) sound? I always thought it might be biased, but it never seemed refuted.

Mostly sound but heavily biased to justify their continued ownership of people without dantians. Also skewed by Veridian propaganda and religious indoctrination about murdering spirits.

Chatrapati posted:

What were VEAs made of?
Copied from Forge of Destiny and Cultivation stories in general. Intended to give readers a form of currency to care about. Since you use them up, it helps prevent hoarding and provides a built in narrative hook for adventure. Seeing as how that wasn't a very effective incentive, I probably provided too many for free.

KittyEmpress posted:

Did the other clan starts in the valley have cool stuff like the dream world? Was the dream world and dreamwalking planned from the beginning or did you think it sounded cool after silver bears won?

What's your biggest regret in writing the story? Was there one particular option you wish had won ever? Was there anything you didn't like having won?
Dream stuff was added after Silver Bears won.

The other clans had cool stuff too. Remember that the always useful topaz hilt came from a different clan.

A lot of the fun in running CYOAs is adapting to unexpected vote results. Ya'll are the best.

Polgas posted:

Did Qianni really kill the fish that wanted to climb the waterfall?
Maybe :p

Polgas posted:

Where was Zhiyi hiding out?
He told ya'll. He went North or maybe west. He was hanging out in the city states beyond the NW border at the end of the story.

SerSpook posted:

How did Pumie and Wotjeo measure up compared to other Valley folks?
Ridiculously strong for their age. Like as strong as people twice their age. Mostly because ya'll spent so much effort keeping Wotjeo in vital essence.

Crymetimeboys posted:

Thank you very much LLSix. It was a great story.

I'd like to ask how do the top-tier cultivators of the Valley measure up against the top-tier cultivators of the Emerald Empire.

For example, if Curada got into a duel with Qianni, who would win?
Tough question. Curada is sneaky and has a spirit ally but Qianni's Life madra and personal techniques make her very, very hard to kill. Curada would win the first round, but would turn her attention to other fights and get drained from behind. Winner - a very annoyed Qianni who didn't want to fight in the first place and really hates it when people push her hard enough she has to drain them.

alpaca diseases posted:

Did you have any hooks or paths laid out to prompt us toward if we'd been exiled with Mom and Dad? - would the Academy for everyone have been a viable option?

Or would've it have been a brutal wilderness survival game until we finally get wiped out by massed Viridians
I write very few things before they happen. When you do that, you start trying to twist the story to fit future events instead of things playing out according to character's personalities and abilities. I'm not sure what would have happened. Since I have to guess, I'm going to say that parents would probably have died fighting a hopeless battle somewhere while Pumie ran away (or came back and got a game over instead). There were so many dangerous things for that trio, it's hard to guess what would have killed them.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
With the creeping water he's probably referring to the time we had a recurring dream of water coming up from the well in our house with Liuxue, which then lead to new wards. We thought it might be our crystal hilt teacher trying to steal it, or Nuli doing something, but there was never any resolution the thing just stopped when we showed our hand that we were detecting it.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

Just wanted to say thanks for writing all of this LLSix. It was a fun time.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

With the creeping water he's probably referring to the time we had a recurring dream of water coming up from the well in our house with Liuxue, which then lead to new wards. We thought it might be our crystal hilt teacher trying to steal it, or Nuli doing something, but there was never any resolution the thing just stopped when we showed our hand that we were detecting it.

It was your crystal hilt teacher. If I remember right, it stopped around the same time that Dinvuk got lightning bolted to death and thrown off a roof. It caused a bit of a re-analysis of the risk-benefit ratio.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

LLSix posted:

It was your crystal hilt teacher. If I remember right, it stopped around the same time that Dinvuk got lightning bolted to death and thrown off a roof. It caused a bit of a re-analysis of the risk-benefit ratio.

I was so curious about that! Thank you. Were the wards just a wasted effort then?

Also, I never would have expected the VEAs to just be a currency stand-in! I did think that they seemed so powerful that there must be some dark history behind them, and once discovered would make Pumie question their use.
This was my first introduction to the Cultivation genre, so I never would have guessed VEAs were a standard. A lot of concepts I feel flew over my head!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Chatrapati posted:

I was so curious about that! Thank you. Were the wards just a wasted effort then?

Also, I never would have expected the VEAs to just be a currency stand-in! I did think that they seemed so powerful that there must be some dark history behind them, and once discovered would make Pumie question their use.
This was my first introduction to the Cultivation genre, so I never would have guessed VEAs were a standard. A lot of concepts I feel flew over my head!

No - they both indicated that you were on to him and increased the risk of detection. He still would have tried without them.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Was there any particular reason that Marbled Polecat attacked us in the cave?
How did Mom and Dad compare, power wise with the Academy Elders/Outer/Inner circle disciples?
How was the Valley hidden? - could we have found our own way back if we just started climbing/delving?

What was the deal with:

climbing the Matriarchs pyramid and reaching into the fire?
The eightfold shackles tribulation and the weird rear end bird?
Any (other) cool tribulations you had pre-thought up that we just blew straight past?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 3, 2022

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Were there any plans with our human sibling?

When we returned home was the political situation going to have changed?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
HA the matriarch was a parasitic relationship.

And I felt silly pitching the vampire idea. Who's silly now? eh EH!?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Oh, and that genocided Valley Tribe- (The Shrews(?)) - what happened there? Were still around secretly or anything?

MintDinosaur
Mar 31, 2008

What a fantastic read! Thank you for the adventure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Sad to hear this very fun adventure has come to an end, but glad I was here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Sad to hear this very fun adventure has come to an end, but glad I was here for it.

:glomp: