Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Problem description: In rocket league if I'm in a player party, sometimes I'll get "dropped" from it. On my screen it shows I'm still in it, but my teammates don't see me anymore. To resolve it I have to manually leave the party and get another invite. This also happens in Apex, where I'll get dropped from the party but it doesn't show for me and my teammates will enter a game without me. There's a couple other games that I've had the same intermittent party drop problem too. Getting dropped happens seemingly randomly. Sometimes I'll go an hour or two without it happening, sometimes it happens a few times an hour. In a game like MTG Arena, it will just hang until it finally tells me I'm disconnected, allowing me to reconnect to a match.

Attempted fixes: I have a housemate who's connected to the same router the same way with no issues. I've tried updating network drivers, graphics drivers, restarting router. It happens in MTG Arena, and their suggestion was this https://mtgarena-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000834323-Flush-DNS-and-Winsock-Reset which I tried.

Recent changes: I haven't made any recent changes. This problem has been happening for over a year.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

System specs: Processor: i5 6600 CPU @ 3.3GHx Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF, Ram: 16GB GPU: GTX 980 driver version 418.91

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Most of the google results are game specific and don't really address it happening across everything.
It's really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Do you have a router plugged into a modem? Or do you have a gateway (modem and router in one device)?

If you have a separate modem I'd try plugging directly into that temporarily.

Is your housemate playing the same games with no issues or just no issues that they can see?

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Right now I'm connected to my own router, which is connected to the ISP provided modem/router combo. The housemate is playing the same games with me and has never had any of these issues.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure your own router is on the latest firmware. If that doesn't help I'd try plugging directly into the gateway.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Is the gateway in bridged/passthrough mode?

Basically if the gateway is acting as a router AND you have another router behind it that you're plugged into, you are going to see Weird poo poo; technical issue is double NAT which a lot of devices and applications do not handle well.

Generally you only want one device handling routing/NATing, either everyone should be plugged into your router and the gateway should be in bridged/passthrough mode (basically acting as just a modem) or you replace your router with a switch.