Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

thatbastardken posted:

What makes you so sure you are a dog who becomes a man, and not a man who becomes a dog? And who are you trying to hide your changes from?

Awoo? Yip! Arf arf arf bork bjork snarf bork yap!! **Licks nose* *paws at ground*

My human life must have been really unmemorable. Because I don't remember having hands before... I ate the rod thing! But Maybe I was? And being a dog was an experiment by Master? Is that possible? I don't understand science, I am a Dog. I think?

Hmmmm.

Well, out of all the people I want to hide things from. Bad Dog is definitely the worst!

I think he underwent the procedure from the other side, turning from a human into a dog. But clearly he's stuck somewhere in between! I think he runs a pack of bad people. I bit them, and now he thinks I'm a bad dog. Well jokes on him! Because I'm a Goodboy!

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Art commissioned from Dogbomber.

Mudskipper, the Outsider

Officer Norris sighed, pushing the clipboard aside as he tossed the pen atop it. Was it even worth writing this down? Or would it just be grounds for him to be committed? "So. You say you're from under the sea."

Where do you come from?

The azure-skinned girl smiled. "Under the sea? That's silly. The water would just fall in! No, I'm from in the sea." The two stared at each other for a nice, decent pause, as he tried to process his next question.

"How... do you even speak English?", he started, confused. "If you're from- Atlantis?"

"I thought you were speaking Agatherean!", she piped up in realization. "But that... hm." She looked away in thought. "I think I can just talk to anything that lives on land. "Friday was telling me about a dream she had where bad men were chasing-", she continued.

He squinted as he interrupted. "Wait, Friday? Our dog?"

A nod from her. "Yes, she told me her name. Ah, but it's not Atlantis. It's Agatherea. In the sea."

Why did you come to the surface?

"Okay, I'll bite.", Norris said, lighting up a cigarette, and she flinched at the flick of the flame. "What are you doing here, then? Shouldn't you be under... in the sea?"

A slight shake of her head. "I'm nobody down there. I'm half-human, and... they call me things. 'Mudskipper'. But here, I'm... special. I'm a queen of the land." She smiled self-consciously.

"Queen?", he said hesitantly, and she nodded. "The air, it makes me stronger, better, and I can talk to all the strange creatures of the land! It's amazing! And you have fruit! So much of it! I've never had anything so sweet."

He sighed. "All the same, you can't just... take fruit." She looked confused. "But... there was so much of it. Piles and piles of it. Can anybody eat so much?" The officer rubbed his temple. "Up here, you need to earn it, with money." The girl's look of puzzlement twisted up. "Earn? Why would you need to earn food?" Norris' skin bunched up where he poked his finger into his temple. "I- because you need to work-"

Another interruption, but this time as the door opened, another officer peering in. "Norris. We have somebody for her. Says he's her father."

The girl bolted upright, saying, "Dad!" Moving to the door with a preternatural swiftness, it swung open, knocking the interrupting officer over as the door nearly knocked off its hings. She hesitated, looking stricken. "Oh, sorry, sorry-", she said, pulling him up perhaps a little too swiftly, planting the stunned police officer on his feet. A number of bystanders tensed, but her speed was enough that the moment passed before it could escalate.

As she looked past the officer, she rushed over to an older man in a long jacket standing there, embracing him. "Dad! Dad! Dad!" He reached over to pat her on the head. "Ninlil. It's good to see you, but... you can't stay here."

Why do your people want you to come home?

"No. I am sinnistu.", she said, shrinking back. "I have come of age and can make my own decisions." He smiled weakly, wearily. "You know your mother's going to be very upset with you. You know how she feels about the surface." Ninlil widened her eyes, saying, "Ahulap, ahulap!" She reaches out, unveiling a mouse in her palm. "She told me of how terrible it would be, but not one terrible thing has happened yet! And I made a friend! And ate fruit!" The mouse raised its paws in agreement.

The man laughed, shaking his head. "You're going to be a lot of trouble." He looked over to Officer Norris. "I can take her, I'm her father. Liam Miller." The police officer squinted. "You don't look like-", he started, before Liam interrupted. "Her mother's from under the sea." Ninlil looked up to him, frowning. "In the sea." Her father rubbed his neck. "Right."

"Still, I'm going to have to report this up the chain. I don't know what they'll do. But it's plain to see she isn't going to settle in a cell.", Officer Norris said, before Liam added, "She'll be fine."

He looked sternly over to her. "Or I'll call her mother." Flinching, Ninlil looked over, and said sincerely, "I will be the finest, I swear."

Why do you care about the team?

Later...

Dear Dad,

My friends have helped me write this letter! When I was young, people would be nice to me because of Mom, and then called me bad things where she could not hear. But here, they don't know Mom, and they treat me as just me. Someday I'll go back to the sea, but here I can learn to make a difference with others who are strange like me. Even though they are very different, they are also very kind. There are more than just people, but also beasts large and small to talk to while I am here. I am never lonely here, sometimes it even feels too crowded. School is really like a school! But I will be the best and make you proud not to have thrown me back.

Thank you,

𒀭𒊩𒌆𒆤 𒀼𒋰𒈿

pre:
Hero Name: Mudskipper	Real Name: Ninlil Yona
Abilities: Underwater Adaptation, Toughness, Terrestrial Empowerment, Terrestrial Animal Speech

Danger -1	Freak +2	Savior +0	Superior +2	Mundane +0

Playbook MovesC’mon, Lucky: You have a beach mouse, Pushu, who helps you out. It can help with: assess
the situation,  comfort or support someone, or pierce the mask. Whenever your mouse could help you, take
+1 to that move. If your pet ever gets hurt, treat it as taking a powerful blow.

❑ Not So Different After All: When you talk about your home, roll +Freak. On a 10+, choose two.
On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you:

- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition

On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or
vulnerability.

❑ The Best of Them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the
best parts of Earth, roll +Freak instead of +Mundane.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show
them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit
in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Moment of Truth

You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving
exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle.
Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did,
after all, just prove yourself worthy.
Notes: for the record, there's definite hacking on the powers and moves to make it fit the concept little better - I figure it doesn't break anything, but if there are any issues, let me know.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

Your future self has given you some stolen classified documents on the disappearance of the Anemone. Why haven't you read them, and who else knows you have them?

What, apart from the top secret classified labels on the folder? Loose links sink ships, yanno! ...okay yeah I admit, I maaaay have skimmed the first few pages - just a teeny tiny bit I swear! It doesn't even have anything to do with the whole Anemone incident, probably - sure it might be dated back to when it happened but everything I see refers to some 'Chronosphere Inductor Experiment' and it was chock fulla words I don't understand, like, none of it made sense. It was like, I dunno what I'm gettin' myself into if I read this so I just, sorta, shut it and resolved not to look at it again.

Well, okay, I was still curious - I mean, if there's any chance, no matter how slight that it really does have something to do with the Anemone it might be a clue to where Ma and Pa are, yanno! - so I took a couple pages to someone I thought might help, Dr. Neidhardt. He's one of the experimental physics professors here - I read about him defecting from Germany back a couple years - sorry, it's probably been a couple decades by now, eheh... Anyway, I brought him the papers hoping he'd help me make any sense of 'em, but he took one look and kinda opened his eyes like he knew what they were and asked me where I got 'em and all. I just told him that I was on the boat when it happened and please if you have anything I've gotta know. He promised me he'd do as best as he could to look into it, and to keep those papers tight, so that's what I've been doin' since, but he still hasn't followed up with me since...

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 24, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

thatbastardken posted:

How is a school that teaches children to fight 'villains' different from Project Rust? And why do you trust what the Director told you, when you asked them?

The purpose of Project Rust is to take down the Soviet Union by any means necessary. This includes killing people who are valuable to the communists. Or so the leaders of Project Rust claimed. But at Pheonix Academy the goal is to teach people to be responsible heroes and to only use the force required. They really don't want us going around killing people, even if they're using their powers for evil. I have my gun, but they made sure to give me nonlethal rounds I can use instead of regular ones.

Project Rust is very much "once you're in, you're in." You can't leave. That's what made them try to get me to kill Mr. Jaeger after all. But when I asked the director about the school, they said "We'd really like to have you here Katsu. But if you want to, you can leave at any time. We're not going to force you to stay here - there would be no point."

It's a far different organization. Different purpose, different methods, different kind of people working for them. I feel I can trust them way more then I could ever trust the leaders of Project Rust.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado
WIP gonna eat breakfast before I do the backstory and in the process of doing that some details might change.

EDIT: SO CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR. I'll finish it tomorrow. Probably gonna change the mask detail on the look and write up backstory stuff. Otherwise, I think everything else will be sticking around :3

quote:

When did you put on the mask? Why?

I found it. In the basement of our apartment complex. Mom asked me to bring up the chair with the wobbly leg after Tante Mariya sat down at the table and the chair just plopped out right beneath her. I started laughing and she turned all red and fuming and my mother sent me packing before the fireworks went off. I couldn't help it! So I came down to sort through the dusty mess and I found Zayde's old trunk. He died in the war. Not, Korea. World War II. I never met him but everyone always told such lovely stories and, you know, Tante was surely still mad. It wouldn't hurt to investigate, right?

Turns out Zayde wasn't just any old aviator! He was The Silver Fox, Allied Ace! I never knew! Mame just told me that he'd been shot down over the pacific. And before that, he was The Fox! Bootlegger, Mobster, and Secret Vigilante!? It was almost too much to handle. It turns out my family has been championing the underdog on the wrong side of the law for as long as I can remember. That is until my father up and ran out on the responsibility when he ran out on his family.

Look, I'm not him. I'm not my grandfather. But the spirit of what he believed in, what our family believed in, it's something good. Something sincerely righteous. The next time I saw someone in need I just, sprung into action. One mugging down and one masked girl running away in the night and the Scarlet Vixen was born.

To be honest, I prefer Vixie.

quote:

Why do you keep a secret identity?

Well, I mean, are you serious? Like, you're asking me this after Korea? Fine. Whatever. People don't like us. Everyone's scared. I'm scared. What if everyone finds out who I am and they like, evict us because they're afraid I'll bring trouble? Like some villain attacking with robot ninjas or psychic monkeys. And that is legitimately the least terrible thing that could happen!

quote:

Who, outside of the team, knows about your identity?

Look, it's not my fault okay? Tom, yeah, Tom Mahoney of Mahoney's Records? Well, I work a lot of hours for him and usually, he's like not even there right? He's this anti-war flower power hippy and the only reason he even owns the store at all is so his parents will get off his back. He comes in the store at random times with no warning and one time he just, walked into the manager's office without knocking while I was changing out of my costume. He was surprisingly cool about it but I gotta be honest I don't think he really understood the stakes. Thank god he at least promised not to tell anybody.

quote:

Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

City Council Alderman Michael McCoy. Annie's dad. It's not personal or anything. I didn't like, kiss his daughter. Not like I'd want to or anything! It's just, you know, he hates anything Red with a capital R. He saw Scarlet in the headlines once and he didn't even finish reading. He was already ranting about the sad state of affairs in this country. I just happened to be eating breakfast with them at the time. It was miserable.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

I... Okay, so. I work a lot and between super heroics and homework and just attending classes, I barely have enough time to keep up with Annie. I haven't even had a boyfriend yet. Not because I couldn't! I just, I don't have time. Maybe if I'm doing this whole superhero thing with other people I'll make some friends.

quote:

Hero Name: The Scarlet Vixen
Look: Woman, Belarusian Jew, Elegant Clothing, Iconic Costume, Small Mask

Abilities: Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities and you can keep your powers hidden. You have enhanced physical abilities (strength, agility, endurance), super senses, and impossible mobility

Labels:
Danger +0
Freak -1
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane +3

Moves:

The Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Superior. Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

I am what you see: When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly. If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

Mild-Mannered: When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your facade. On a 7-9, choose one:

- you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to
sell it

On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Moment of Truth:

The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching...

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they
important?

Secret Identity: Your Mundane life comes with three obligations.

Job: Cashier/Unofficial Assistant Manager at Mahoney's Records.

Tom Mahoney employs exactly two individuals to keep business costs down. Rivkah, his most trusted employee who is all but in charge of operating the shop, and Tony. Tony Mahoney is Tom's idiot nephew who has never so much as picked up a broom in his life and is not about to do so now. Needless to say, Rivkah's job is thankless and demanding. She often does homework behind the counter when she isn't stocking, organizing, or helping a customer.

Home: Taking Care of Mom

Adah Aginsky worked two jobs for the last decade and a half. A maid during the day and a diner waitress at night. Benjamin had left in the night when Rivkah was but a toddler. The divorce separated the mother and daughter not just from their absentee father but the support network of local orthodox jews. The family became loosely affiliated with a young Reform Synagogue but only Rivkah still attends on occasion. Adah is often too tired, or too busy, now freely working the sabbath. Rivkah often comes home to make her mother dinner and make sure she gets to work on time. Adah is entirely dependent on her daughter to maintain a healthy diet and schedule.

Social: Best Friend

Annie McCoy has never been popular. It's not that she has some major flaw or obsession that sorts her out of the fold. She's just, exceedingly mediocre. She knits. She's a teen that knits. She's sweet, and kind, and one of the few people in Rivkah's life that she truly genuinely trusts. So, it hurt all the more when Annie put some distance between the two of them after Rivkah accepted her scholarship and transfered schools.

Annie says she's busy with schoolwork but Rivkah knows better. But what can she do about it? Between School, work, taking care of her mother, and not to mention, being a superhero Rivkah doesn't have a lot of time to spare. Still, it isn't very heroic to let your friends down. What to do?

Relationships:

_______________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of
them Influence over you.

GenuineRevelry fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 1, 2019

Chaos Triangle
Dec 9, 2007
DO NOT TRUST

quote:

Do you need to eat to sustain your brain, or are all your needs met by your artificial body? How is it powered, and why does that bother you?

Okay, so, I'm gonna be honest, I don't completely know how this all works- Dr. Stein and Dr. Marlow have tried to explain it to me but it's wild stuff. As far as eating... Well, I'm not sure I'd call it that, but I do need a source of energy to keep my brain working. Marlow has this weird goop she makes- a jumble of amino acids and proteins and god knows what else- that my body can process easily to keep the meat-brain running. There's a tank somewhere around where my stomach would be that can hold about two weeks' worth, give or take- if I'm really straining myself, it'll go faster, if I'm sitting around doing nothing it'll last a bit longer. I've never found out what happens if I run out, but supposedly my body can put my brain to sleep if energy runs low- according to Stein, I could probably be in that state for up to a few months without long-term drawbacks. Probably. Never tested it, though, so it's all theoretical, and I'm happy leaving it that way.

The body itself runs off an extremely experimental battery- uranium phosphate or something, I don't remember half the words Marlow rattled off when she was describing it to me. What I know is it's supposed to be able to run for a century without replacement, assuming it doesn't get damaged. Never did get an answer on what the plan was if it does, though...

Chaos Triangle fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 25, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
alright i'm going to close the thread to new applications in...24 hours.

existing interest posts are fine, but i'd like to have everyone at at least 1 question by the end of the week.

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!
I am withdrawing my app.

Kid Blink fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 14, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Silver, the Delinquent

Tell me about a time you teleported into trouble you weren't looking for, and about the person (other than Esper) who helped you get out of it.

quote:

Esper, the Joined

Who have you hurt to protect Silver without her knowing? Do you think she'd appreciate it?

quote:

Scarlet Vixen, the Janus

Why do you think wearing an old mask has given you your powers, or did they come from somewhere else? And tell me a story about your grandfather - one that makes you think he might still be alive.

quote:

Dreamer, the Doomed

How did you get the Director to relax (but not overturn) their policy on possession and consumption of narcotics on campus, and what other rules would you like to see loosened up?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

thatbastardken posted:

Who have you hurt to protect Silver without her knowing? Do you think she'd appreciate it?

A bit after getting our powers, we picked a fight at the arcade with this group of teds. It was mostly for kicks, but Sylv got a bigger rise out of it than me or them, mostly because she didn't like their style. I mean that like she thought they were jerks, but also, teddy boy is kinda yesterday's news so I think she just really liked pushing their buttons. Anyway, most of them stayed cool, but there was this one guy. He called himself Ox (short for Oxford, natch) and had the strength and tough skin to match. He kinda wouldn't let it go and kept pushing back. So, of course, Sylv kept pushing back. You know how she is. They had a couple scraps, embarrassed each other in front of friends a couple times. At least for Sylv, though, it was still all in good fun. This one night, we'd had...a bit to drink with friends, and Sylv and Ox got into another fight. He took a few swings, threw a bottle at her, she dodged and teleported away laughing. Nothing unusual - or at least Sylv didn't seem to think so. She was having a good time. Ox, though - I could see the look in his eyes. He was angry this time, really angry. And he wasn't play-fighting like usual. He swung hard. If he connected, he would've hurt her bad.

Later, when everyone started to go home, I left Sylv with a couple of our friends and chased down Ox. I guess I threatened him - I told him if he ever hurt Sylv, I'd hurt him back worse. He said Sylv had it coming, and if I tried him I'd end up getting hurt too, cuz he could 'crush me easily'. He was a lot stronger, sure, but I was pretty confident I could take him. He'd have to hold back if we fought - I'm sure if he put all his strength into it, he could take my head off. And he's not that bad of a guy, I think. My weapons respond to my intent, though, so I wouldn't have to worry about permanently injuring him unless I wanted to. I'm pretty sure, anyway. I tried to tell him that, but he didn't buy it, and we just ended up yelling at each other more. I asked him what he meant by "Sylv has it coming", he said "What do you think I mean?", and, I dunno. I guess I kinda lost it. I made a blade around my fist and punched him in the stomach. It sucked - like punching a brick wall - but it sucked for him a lot more. I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't have to hold back, and a psychic weapon doesn't really care how tough your body is. I took another couple swipes with my other hand - slashes that time, you can't say I don't learn my lessons - and left him doubled over on the ground in pain.

He didn't come around any more after that. I didn't tell Sylv what happened. She asked a couple times when we were out if anyone had seen him, but I just shrugged. I dunno, I think she still just thought of him as like a friendly rival or something and didn't really take him seriously, and I was worried she wouldn't believe me he was really trying to hurt her that night. I don't really feel bad - he was a real dick - but, y'know. She kinda liked having him around. Even if I wanted to tell her, it's been a while. It'd be weird to tell her now.

Kid Blink
Feb 24, 2013

Of course, the whole point of
a Doomsday Machine is lost if
you KEEP IT A SECRET!

quote:

How did you get the Director to relax (but not overturn) their policy on possession and consumption of narcotics on campus, and what other rules would you like to see loosened up?

Hey man, don't freak out. I'm not here to push dope, I don't play Feds and Heads. Delysid may expand the mind, but I've got my doctor's note for it, just like the Director asked. He's a groovy cat; he's not gonna step on toes just because things are a little out of the ordinary. And I'm here keeping it above board. I'm here to spread peace and love. If any of my fellow student psychonauts want to join me that's on them. The director gave me a space on campus for meditation, and that's all I need to tap the unseen. You just need the right good vibes to reach an altered state man.

Reaching the spaces between is more than just touching the inner self and opening your unseen eyes too. The psychic barriers the academy has are far out, but when I'm floating the astral sphere I can see threats further and more clearly than some of those on campus can. It harshs my vibe but I'm connected to the great love of nature that protects all beings when I'm deep in the mind space, so I can give warnings to the academy staff on agents of hate both outside and inside the academy. Fulling divesting myself from the real allows me to peek past some of the normal barriers of mental protection as well. The time the Director really came around was when I found Alpherius and Omegeron trying to demolish the academy. The twins had managed to get in past the normal screens and were set to use the advanced sciences lab to do... something? I wasn't actually there. I had bugged out after letting the teacher know I could taste their hate from the other side of the academy. The fat cat had a talk with me after the explosion and we jived. He totally understood where I was coming from and was ok with giving me the space I needed to commune. Very groovy cat.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

Tell me about a time you teleported into trouble you weren't looking for, and about the person (other than Esper) who helped you get out of it.

Aye, it was a bad time, and it could'a been even worse for me if I didn't have some help.

I don't have as much control over my teleports as I'd like. It's a right pain, especially whenever I end up going a little further than I wanted. I was going to meet up with Hope and some friends for a night on the town, so I got myself ready, and teleported over to her. Or at least, that's what I was trying to do. What ended up happening instead was that I teleported myself to the roof instead. I tried again a few more times, but I kept warping myself to places that weren't my destination. I gave it one last try, and ended up behind the school this time, and that's when I said bollocks to this, I'm just going to walk instead.

But I wasn't the only one who was out there behind the school that night. There was the one guy who I absolutely could not stand, Teddy, and his gang, who were there, too. Teddy's a prick, with an ego that's bigger than the academy. His father, Firebolt, is still one of the few respected heroes out there, and in Teddy's mind, being the son of a famous hero, and having the same power to control flames like his dad, makes him better than everybody else, and that gives him an excuse to be an arse to everybody around him.

I don't like him much, in case you couldn't tell.

Teddy saw me, and he tried to make the moves on me. I told him to piss off, and he didn't like that much. He especially didn't like it when I punched him right in his face, and broke a few of his teeth, when he couldn't take "no" for an answer. He got mad, and when I tried to warp myself away... I wasn't able to. I'm not sure why, but I think all that teleporting exhausted me, and I didn't have enough mental energy to get away. All I got was the biggest headache in the world when I tried. So there I was, about to get into a fight with a pissed off Teddy, with my powers barely working, and no Hope to back me up. It was looking pretty bad for me, but then one of his mates stepped in, Daniel. Dani talked him down, and stopped the fight before it could even begin. After that, Dani apologized to me, and told me Teddy wasn't as bad as most people thinks he is. I don't know if I believe that, but Dani's alright, at least. No idea why he'd ever hang out with a berk like Teddy. I've hung out with Daniel a few times since then. He's a bit on the shy side, but he's cool.

I met up with Hope shortly after, and told her what happened. What I didn't tell her was what briefly happened to my powers. I could have told her, but I... well, I didn't want her to worry about me. If it ever happens again, then I'll just think of some way to deal with it.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 5, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Everyone: The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of it's superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.

quote:

Pommerman, the Bull

What's the best thing about being a human some of the time? And the worst?

quote:

Neko, the Beacon

You're pretty brave when it comes to physical danger. What scares you more than getting hurt, and why?

quote:

Silver, the Delinquent

You're not big on other people's rules, I get that. What's one rule you've set for yourself that you'll never break?

quote:

Lucky Ted , the Harbinger

As a time traveler your exact age is a complicated question, but you seem awfully young to be a police officer. Is your appearance a disguise, or are child labor laws different in the future?

quote:

Pandora, the Outsider

As i understand it, your ship was attacked before you landed on Earth. What kind of enemies does a civilization as advanced as yours have?

quote:

Razorback, the Soldier

You're well trained and equipped, but have you ever killed anyone? If yes, why? If no, what would it take?

quote:

Blackstar, the Harbinger

What do you miss most from your own time? And who?

quote:

Enigma, the Protege

Which of your families enemies has put in an appearance at the academy, claiming to be reformed? Do you believe them?

quote:

Avery the Grey, Innocent

What other family do you have, and how have they reacted to your reappearance?

quote:

Katsu Sato, the Bull

Now that you're away from R.U.S.T., what do you do in your spare time?

quote:

Red Star (Volodymyr Lazarenko), the Doomed.

Your timeline seemed pretty idyllic. Is anything better in this one? Would it be worth preserving at the cost of your world?

quote:

Kid 108, the Scion.

One of your parent's 'generous donors' seems to have wised up to their scam. Who (or what) are they, and do you think they'll try to use you for revenge?

quote:

Esper, the Joined (to Silver).

Which other student is trying to be friends with you, and why do they make you nervous?

quote:

Sentinel, The transformed

There's some pretty crazy science stuff here at the academy. Has anyone tried to make a new body for you? Or 'upgrade' your current one?

quote:

Ghastly, the Delinquent

Who on campus reminds you of something important? Why don't you want to talk to them?

quote:

Choke, the Reformed

When you visited Faruq in prison, or wrote to him, what did he think of you settling in at the Academy?

quote:

Scarlet Vixen, the Janus

(2nd question) The academy makes sure you get a good education alongside heroic nonsense, but which of your lessons are you sure is wrong? Why?

quote:

Dreamer, the Doomed

Who else has the same awareness of the Man as you do, and are they fighting against it or for it?

quote:

Mudskipper, the Outsider

1) One of your teachers has asked you to make a presentation about your home. What details will you leave out and why?

2) On a field trip to the city, you saw a 'submarine' vessel of the US Navy. When did you see one before coming to the surface, and what happened?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

quote:

Everyone: The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of it's superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.

My folks, when they talk about it at all, said the reason no one's allowed on site is because reality is messed up there; it's not radioactive, but the closer you get to ground zero, the more likely it is you just end up disappearing yourself. I'm not 100 percent sure it was bullshit, either, because I'm pretty sure they'd have tried to loot the place already if they could get into it safely. Hell, maybe they did try and that's why they know.

quote:

One of your parent's 'generous donors' seems to have wised up to their scam. Who (or what) are they, and do you think they'll try to use you for revenge?

Well, since I'm here at this school, the obvious thought is probably the US State Department. I'm pretty sure they were sliding my folks cash under the table for anti-communist activities as "The 108 Righteous". Except that mostly didn't get used to fund any anti-commie activities. Bought dad a real fancy car and kept us in fancy engraved calling cards and flash paper to write self-destructing notes on, at least. I dunno if they'll try to use me for revenge directly, but I expect the easy money spigot's cut off and my folks may end up trying bigger and more risky heists as a result.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

thatbastardken posted:

You gotta understand, it wasn't just heroes that got blasted there. I mean, I was still pretty young then, so I didn't exactly hear things until I started hanging with Faruq and his own connections. But, uh, rumor has it in those circles that it wasn't an atom bomb. Whoever was responsible for it, I don't really know, but, the thing that blew up was a guy known as Nucleon. He was a pretty minor hero in Japan, I think? Maybe Thailand? I don't know, somewhere in that area. I had never heard of him, at least. Anyway, I heard that they got some sort of alien stuff to supercharge his heat ray powers, and uh, his body couldn't take it. Boom.

Now, that could just be speculation, but the person I heard it from, the Shrike, he's kind of this wiz when it comes to powers and weird interactions? He doesn't have any powers of his own, but he employs thugs with their own powers that he occasionally gives a boost. I don't think he was responsible for the Korea thing - he's not the only one that studies powers - but he knows what he's talking about, so if he says that's what happened, I figure it's probably close to the truth.

quote:

When you visited Faruq in prison, or wrote to him, what did he think of you settling in at the Academy?

He didn't want me to write. Believed it would lead me straight to prison just like him. But I couldn't help doing it anyway. I miss him, you know? He's the only one that was really ever nice to me, even if he didn't do it purely for my sake. Anyway. I kept his return letter. He had it smuggled out, just for added security reasons, and an accomplice posted it from Seattle. It's the only thing I really have. Read for yourself.

Dear Ms. Gray,

It both gladdens and infuriates me to receive your letter. I thought I taught you better than to risk your well-being and freedom in such a way. Still, it is good to know that you have struck out on your own, and that you are hale and hearty. I always knew that one day you would find a way to make your own career. I hoped it would not have to be so soon, but alas, circumstances change, and I was not fleet or fortuitous enough to evade capture this time. I do apologize for not returning to you as I promised. But my crimes are minor compared to certain other villains, so rather than the electric chair, I have a cell. It is comfortable enough - not the Hilton, but one makes do - and my cellmate is a surprisingly entertaining conversationalist.

I do not know what to think of this Academy of yours. My cynical old heart believes it is a ploy, to round up the new generation of superpowered individuals and neutralize them before they pose a threat like the current administration believes other superpowered men and women to be. But a proper education will only serve to further your career, as it has furthered mine, and while it may not be Oxford, what you have described of the staff leads me to believe that you will learn many things that your upbringing has denied you.

So I would advise you to caution, first and foremost. Take what you can get from this Academy. Learn as much as you can. Develop your powers. But, as I have always taught you, protect yourself first and foremost. If a classmate or a teacher seems like they are going to put you at risk of prison time, bail. Playing the hero may protect you from this, for a time, but you know as well as I that "heroes" still have little sway in society as it is, and I doubt that that feeling will change, whether sooner or later.

Be safe, Ms. Gray. And please, do not write me again. I have had proteges before, but you are the one that shows the most promise. I would hate to see it wasted.

With warmest regards,
Faruq

Wahad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 8, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

thatbastardken posted:

Which of your families enemies has put in an appearance at the academy, claiming to be reformed? Do you believe them?

You say "rogue military faction," I say "black budget." Now, I don't have any proof of that. Even my parents weren't able to prove it wasn't a rogue thing. But...well, here's my dossier on Joe McCarthy. He's dead, I hear you say. Acute hepatitis, cause unknown. I know that to be a lie. Three days after the nuke, Senator McCarthy vanishes from the public eye. Four years later, just barely after he gets out of office, he dies of a disease with no onset, no warning. No body. I have proof it was a fake, a lookalike. I don't have any proof of where Joe McCarthy went. But the timing is suspicious. I think that our "rogue faction" is still part of the government, that McCarthy wasn't on the outs at all. Not from the military faction looking to control things using the Cold War. All my leads are cold, my parents won't tell me anything about what they've learned, but...I know that McCarthy was involved.

As for enemies...well. After the War, the OSS dissolved. My father had worked closely with several OSS agents to fight the Nazis, but he knew not all of the members were trustworthy. A few months after the dissolution, the National Intelligence Agency formed. It oversaw operations by the Central Intelligence Group - and most notably, its chief agent, former OSS member Black Star. Black Star was an expert saboteur, and was the first human in space - not any government experiment, he got abducted by an unknown alien force during the war. It gave him the ability to...my father said he could become the void between stars, which basically meant he could turn invisible and walk through walls. Anyway. Black Star was the lead field agent for the CIG, and the CIA when that formed in '49. His work as a government agent led to my parents facing off against him numerous times.

And now...he's here. Black Star claims to have defected from the CIA after they ordered him to lead a team in overthrowing the Guatemalan government. I'm still not sure I trust him - my father's told me stories about some of the people he took orders from, and I just can't imagine a man like Black Star had qualms about all of that. But...he also gave us proof of why the Guatemalan overthrow happened. Fruit, by the way. Literally caused by a fruit company. He claims he's the leak that revealed a lot to the press about the coup. And...he's done a lot to back that up. I don't understand what he's thinking. I don't understand...patriotism, and I think he's still a patriot. But something's clearly changed.

I don't know what.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

thatbastardken posted:

You think I know exactly what happened because I'm actually from the future right? Well here's my answer, we don't know.

Or rather, I don't know and most of the force doesn't know, but someone clearly does because there exists a file on that incident in our physical storage (Why not electronic storage in the future? You can't hack a filing cabinet that's why) and it has some high rear end clearance on it, no one knows why and all attempts to find out get shut down or radio silence. So no I can't tell you what happened but I can take a guess as to why that's the case.

Someone read the file and then tried to go back and change it.

There's this... Debate in Interpol Chronocrimes, and it's a long, long running wrangle that has been flowing around the office ever since the foundation of the division itself and of course as big long standing arguments have gone it's philosophically split Neo Scotland Yard down the middle, "If we could prevent something that is a genuine and inarguable tragedy, why let it happen?" A strict non-intervention policy in the timeline itself is the cornerstone of our division but there comes the question of 'If we could prevent say, the Titanic from becoming shipwrecked by the iceberg, is it moral to not do so in the name of preserving canon?' It's a kind of weird time based nature or nurture argument and the biggest argument against this has always been 'What if the resulting change prevents other important things from occurring.' Take the Hindenburg disaster, a lot of people died and it was a big tragedy yes but the fact that it happened demonstrated that the craft itself had a major and dangerous design flaw in its making, imagine if that didn't happen and zeppelins started to become more wide spread and then these incidents started occurring. You could patch one problem but create two more with the best intentions and there's no real way to test for that as we are right now.

So someone may have gotten the file about the Korean War, didn't like what they saw, and broke a major and severe time travel no no to try and prevent something, and judging by the fact that the incident still happened that didn't work and the incident is classified and out of my access range. But who knows? We're certainly not in a position to find out now.

thatbastardken posted:

As a time traveler your exact age is a complicated question, but you seem awfully young to be a police officer. Is your appearance a disguise, or are child labor laws different in the future?

Ahhhh, that's not exactly, I mean rather not entirely... Hmmm. Technically we are not supposed to relay knowledge from the future to people in the past but, genetic modification has become common place, and by common place I mean the default, everywhere, everyone has what I have (At least form my generation) and that is just what humanity is now.

And one of the very first modifications that was implanted into the human genome, was to speed up the maturation process in order to deal with what I can only describe due to the above strict orders to not share future knowledge, as a severe population crisis that occurred near the turn of the generation. Let's just say we needed a lot of working people very quickly and couldn't wait the normal 17-18 years it takes to fully mature a human. And this needed a lot of other attachments added to it in the process to prevent some side effects that might occur from the process, and then a few more got added to iron out some creases and hey since we are here why not take what's there and make it better and here we are now, and here I am now a technical perfect human specimen super-heroic by your standards and perfectly and utterly mundane by ours.

So to go back to your first question, yes I am about 12-13 years old but at the same time I am functionally, mentally and biologically a young adult and since we're now in this situation where the age of a human reaching maturity has been lowered the labor laws had to be adjusted as a result. And yes I am exactly aware of how weird that would be if I told people that here, so I'm just going to go with telling people I'm 16 to avoid any embarrassment.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2019

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

thatbastardken posted:

The only thing I've really heard of it beyond the popular story is that the nuke was set off to blast something that nobody wanted getting out. Everybody's got a different idea of what, if they think that's what happened anyway, though.

thatbastardken posted:

Who on campus reminds you of something important? Why don't you want to talk to them?
There are a few people on campus who remind of various things, and a few more people I don't want to talk to, but the one who stands out the most is Harry. Crazy tall, super strong, super hairy (which yes, I admit I made some fun of once), turns invisible. Ever since we had Gym together, after we started using our powers, he's been ice loving cold, more so than at first even. If I ask him about homework or something he'll answer, but as soon as it's anything but business with me he straight up disappears, which I guess is a bit ironic. Anyway, I can't really pin down what he reminds me of, I think it might be from before we all disappeared, or maybe from the time I can't really remember. Feels like he knows something, kind of like how Charlie knows something.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

thatbastardken posted:

The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of it's superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.
I try not to think about it.. There was this memorial a few years ago where I ran into some other kid whose mom died in Korea. He told me flat out she was still alive - that they all were. Some were sent back to their everyday lives, and some were "killed off" so they could go to fight something infinitely more dangerous than a regular war. Martians, or molemen, or things from in between or something? He was kinda babbling. But he swears his mom psychically contacted him years after she died, to tell him this and say goodbye.

I don't believe it, to be clear. I think he just came up with it up to deal with how upset he was. Its not like he had any evidence either. But that being said, when the government told us dad passed away, they brought us a few of the things he'd left at base. His dress uniform, which is fine, but also a pendant. Mom said said he never took that off. Slept with it on, bathed with it on. It has a photo of Mom and I in it. So if she's right, why would he take it off on the very day he died? Or if the government are lying, why would they bring back the pendant but not his body? Or his weapons?

Great, now I'm thinking about it. I said I try not to think about this. There's a big coverup, we all know that, but somehow I don't think the heroes are all fighting spacemen or whatever.

thatbastardken posted:

You're pretty brave when it comes to physical danger. What scares you more than getting hurt, and why?

Yeah, rattling my cage is pretty tricky. I'm not a robot, its just I've never been scared by the same things most people are - going fast, falling, fighting, ninjas, explosions. I kinda thrive in it, I think. I punched a cop last month for being rude to me.

But stuff that does scare me? I'm a little scared I won't fit in, I guess. I didn't fit in at my last school. I know I say heroes fear nothing, but people don't like when a regular schoolgirl fears nothing. People used to tell me I was too focused, too intense. I shouldn't be able to beat the boys at sports. It was weird for a girl to like swords. Most of them avoided me. It was uh.. It was kind of a bummer. That's part of why I tried to transfer here, where people might appreciate that some girls kick.

Also, uh.. No one else hears these, right? This is private? Because there's one other thing that really scares me: I definitely should have gotten my powers by now. They're supposed to come from a genetic mutation, so the longer I go without developing them, the more I start to worry about what that means for me. Am I never going to get them? Will I be able to keep up with the other students? Will I even be able to stay at this school? Half the reason they let me come is because they expect me to have nullification eventually, and that's too powerful to not have on your side. Does not having dad's powers mean he's not even my real dad?

This is so heavy. I really have a lot of my personal identity built on this. I don't know who I am if I'm not my dad's little Neko.

I wish I hadn't admitted that, because it makes it feel more real. Can we just pretend I said I was scared of dogs instead?

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 8, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

thatbastardken posted:

Now, I ain't never seen no files or nuttin', but hangin' around in Eggis for a year, ya hear things.

Rumors 'round th' mess break inta one o' two camps. First camp is that it was real. Nobody knows who it was, but some crazy fuckers got aholda a nuke, 'n blowed it up. They got plenny o' theories on who done it, but it's just mess hall talk.

Second camp say it twern't a nuke at all. Somethin' else happened. Some power, some magic, I heard one guy sayin' it was a tear in the spacey time continuthingy.

Personally... Scared people is stupid people. I think somethin' happened, somethin' friggin scary. Not war scary, not powered scary. End o' th' world, poo poo yer pants, blow yerself up with a nuke terrifyin'.

Thing that bothers me is, ain't nobody ever stepped up and stopped th' rumors. If somebody had an answer dey would shut down all this nonsense... or shut down the rumors gettin' too close to th' truth. But ain't nobody in power said poo poo about any of it.

quote:

You're well trained and equipped, but have you ever killed anyone? If yes, why? If no, what would it take?

I ain't no church goin' man, but Ma always made sure I knew t' ten commandments.

When we was little, it was Honor Thy Father this, Honor Thy Mother that. But when Leroy went off t' join the army... we talked a lot 'bout Thou Shalt Not Kill.

Now, war is war, and people is gonna die. N' sometimes ya have t' defend yerself. But ya don't kill unless ya have to, an' it's t' save yourself, yer loved ones, or'n innocent. There's plenny o' places ya can shoot a fella that'll keep ya safe n' put 'im down, but ain't gonna kill 'im. There's also plenny o' places ya can be shot, yer gonna die, but you gonna suffer first. N' that might be worse 'n a headshot.

I been through all the trainin', but I ain't been in combat yet. Plenny o' hogs and bucks and more 'n a few ducks. But I spent a lotta hours at the Eggis range. They got deese movin' targets t' practice on. N' then for a test, dey got this guy. Captain Steele. He's a powered, some experiment or other. But he's friggin' bulletproof. Fer real. Once a year they shoot him with a goddamn cannon!

He runs th' range, n' he administerates th' final test. Puts on white long johns 'n a white mask so ya kin see if ya hit 'im. Stands at the very end of th' 600 yard range, full o' hay bales fer cover. Ya get a couple 10 round mags, n' ya gotta tag 'im 5 times afore he gets to ya.

Now, I weren't the quickest, or the most accurate or nuttin', but I got him on my 3rd try, n' that's pretty drat good. Got 'im 'n each knee, 'n each arm, and landed the last one right 'n his junk. An' an' an'- I didn't even need t' change mags! I got th' medal fer it back at my bunk if'n ya wanna see it.

But, back t' yer question, if'n things are bad as some people say they is, one day I'll break that commandment. But I ain't yet, 'n I won't 'til some jerkoff makes me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mudskipper

unseenlibrarian posted:

The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of it's superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.

"I was very small, but I remember when overfolk came to Arsei. The leader of one of the smaller nations had come with an offer of alliance to help protect us so he could revenge himself against his enemies, but... his people then stole from us and fled. It's said they stole one of our ancient artifacts from when we crafted terrible weapons. But my mother said that surface folk warred all the time because they had less land and more people, and it was not worth seeking it out, that we would just get caught up in land troubles.

I... did not know about what happened until I came on land, but the time may have been... similar? I hope our people were not involved in whatever happened. I hope."

unseenlibrarian posted:

One of your teachers has asked you to make a presentation about your home. What details will you leave out and why?

"It is probably for the best I do not mention we're not allowed to save people from ships. There are some that do it anyway, but they get in trouble. Most of what we know of you people comes from ships, carrying poison, carrying weapons, and there are legends of things worse past. Our people are afraid, we are hard to find but... there is nothing stopping just dropping troubles on us. It is not hate, not like between colors up above, but the fear is deep.

Also, sharing simply here is sometimes called 'Communism', which is supposed to be very bad. I probably shouldn't make people think I am Communist. I should just say we trade, yes? Trading is good! It is better than sharing!... I guess."

unseenlibrarian posted:

On a field trip to the city, you saw a 'submarine' vessel of the US Navy. When did you see one before coming to the surface, and what happened?

"We had heard about your sunken tubes, about how they were weapons, but they weren't able to see us, mom said, but we were ordered to stay away from them. But then one of them broke, me and some of the others, we broke the rule, we tried to see if we could save them. But we couldn't, really, they were too far down, where land things just break. Enusar tried to open it up, but he wasn't strong enough. We could only hear them. I could understand them, because I'm part land. It was... the worst... ever.

I... I... only didn't get in big trouble because of who my mother was. Some of the others got sick, they said the ship was filled with poison, but I was only sick in the head. Mom knew, but she never said anything.

On land, I can help people, though. Maybe if I help enough people, one day I can forget it."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

thatbastardken posted:

The incident in Korea a decade ago that cost the world many of its superheroes is still pretty drat mysterious. Survivor accounts are contradictory, the scientific community has been denied access to the site by government agencies, and attempts to use powers to find out have...mixed results. It's widely believed that a rogue military faction detonated an atom bomb for some reason, but that might not be the truth. Tell me about a rumor you've heard, and why you give it some credence.

I have not heard much of this event, I must admit! It had come and gone before the emergency release on my stasis pod was tripped. I think that the staff of this institute are somewhat reluctant to talk about it around me. Though... I am not proud of this, but I was forced to link minds, briefly, with one of the scientists that greeted me. How else was I to make sense of your language? I do not remember much of the experience, in part due to the intensity of it all, but one phrase, in particular, resonates when you speak of this time: Project H.E.L.I.O.S.

Does that strike you with sudden realizations and understanding? It does not for me, but I am lacking in the proper context to make meaning of it.

thatbastardken posted:

As I understand it, your ship was attacked before you landed on Earth. What kind of enemies does a civilization as advanced as yours have?

I suppose the greatest of differences between us is that my people do not war amongst themselves. There are many civilizations out there, amongst the stars, and no few of them consider my people to be great friends and allies. That having been said, there are also those who find us to be rivals and enemies and things worse to be mentioning. The Shadows, perhaps it would be fitting to call them, are those that attacked me! They are a martial people, reclusive and warlike, but it is unusual that they would stray so far from their borders. I can only hope that it was not a precursor to something more dire.

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado

thatbastardken posted:

Why do you think wearing an old mask has given you your powers, or did they come from somewhere else? And tell me a story about your grandfather - one that makes you think he might still be alive.

One story!? More like fifty!

Sorry, sorry. I just get excited. I got excited when I read his journal. He'd come up with these ludicrous ploys. They'd be chasing him, gaining on him, so sure they were gonna catch him and then he'd drive off a cliff! Or sail over a waterfall! Or jump off the 72nd story balcony! He always had a plan. Always one step ahead. But I mean, like, he wouldn't have just left us.

thatbastardken posted:

The academy makes sure you get a good education alongside heroic nonsense, but which of your lessons are you sure is wrong? Why?

Look, I... I just think it's weird that there's a civics class. I know we're heroes and like, by definition, we're doing our civic duty but it seems kinda extreme some times? Like all stars and stripes, Major Glory, stars and garters. I just think like, maybe our civic responsibility is towards the people. Please don't tell them I said that I really don't need that.

thatbastardken posted:

I don't think they liked that there were so many people with powers. It's scary, I bet, to global superpowers to know there are individuals with actual superpowers that could like act against them. So, when I hear those vets talking about how they "did 'em all in" I don't... maybe, y'know? Like, everyone is so scared right now. And with all the heroes gone I just... I hope not.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

All my information 'bout it's second, third, whatever-hand, since, well, I wasn't there or even then for it, yanno? But my future self was - well, at least they say they were. Told me a bit 'bout what they saw too. Apparently it wasn't just an explosion but "a great ring of not only fire but of lightning, orange and blue and as bright as the sun," ... at least that's what they said. More peculiar than that though is the sound they described. It was like a scream, or a million screams calling out all at once in a voice of multitide, and after that the ringing in their ears - just like the Anemone incident. They were about to say something else when they just clammed up, looking almost... worried, but by that point I got the gist of what they were tryin' to say. Something happened in Korea, something big, and something they don't want getting out.

thatbastardken posted:

What other family do you have, and how have they reacted to your reappearance?

Family, huh... sorry, 's just kind of a tough question... Y'see, I've pretty much been disowned by the rest of my family ever since, well, the other me became Decay. When I got here I tried to catch up with 'em of course, but between all the time that's passed and everything Decay's done, even Grandm-sorry, Jen told me she didn't know me. I think... I think the shock was just kinda too much for 'em to bear, yanno? I'm just glad they aren't like that. Y'see, when I left my future self's place I needed somewhere to go, 'least for the moment, and there was only one person I could go to - Julius, or Uncle Jules, 's I like to call him. He was the only one who kept in contact with me when turned up, and it was with him I stayed after leaving my other self and 'til I came to Phoenix. He really did seem to understand what I was going through - he always did, even before what happened. I really can't thank him enough for that. And as for the rest... I'll make it up to them one day, I swear!

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

I am not from this timeline, so I cannot say for sure, but I do know what happened in Korea in my own world. Perhaps they are related? This was 2 or 3 years between the Great Accord when the USSR and the USA acknowledged an end to tensions and began to disarm.

In short, people fighting in Korea had a disquieting tendency to disappear. In fact, my father once told me that there were more MIA than KIA by the end of the war, but he may have been exaggerating. The United States believed the Soviets were responsible, and the Soviets believed the Americans to be behind it. Eventually, it seems they compared notes and realized that all participants in the conflict were vanishing at equal rates. Shaken, both sides pulled support from the war and a stalemate ensued. The disappearances stopped shortly afterwards, and an accord was reached that split the country into Communist and Capitalist halves.

Why? No one knows. The official explanation was "intervention by an advanced and unknown third party," and I think fear of this outside force may have been part of what ended the Cold War. Perhaps in this world one side or the other learned what was causing it before it became public knowledge, and attempted to stop it with a nuclear weapon?

quote:

Your timeline seemed pretty idyllic. Is anything better in this one? Would it be worth preserving at the cost of your world?

Oh, there were problems. The two superpowers of the world had agreed to disarm and had put an official end to proxy wars, but the damage remained. In fact, many of the minor nations of the world are in better condition in this timeline, at least as of now. I believe part of what brought both sides to the negotiating table was the deteriorating condition of the world in general, not just the Korean Event. The Cold War has done less damage in this timeline, to be frank.

Cuba is still inhabitable. No nerve gas leak has occurred in Kazakhstan, at least not that anyone knows of. The Brazilian Civil War never happened, and as a result significant portions of the Amazon were spared American defoliants and daisy-cutters. Those are just examples, but I could name a dozen more places that were destroyed or forever changed.The Cold War is still burning here, but the world is actually in a better place overall, I think. But would I be willing to preserve this timeline at the cost of my own?

...I do not know. My timeline is synonymous with my existence. I presently exist entirely by force of will. As a hero, I believe that what I should say is "yes." But in the heat of the moment, I fear I might make the human choice of survival over charity. I think that until you face that defining moment, that terrible choice, you cannot say for sure what you would do. That is the difference between who we think we are and who we really are.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

thatbastardken posted:

The people at Project Rust were looking into it, and still are I'm sure. Mr Jaeger says he doesn't know what's true or not about it. But he did mention that part of the research was looking into just what's possible from people with powers - meaning the people at Project Rust have good enough reason to believe it might have been the work of a super rather then an atom bomb.

thatbastardken posted:

Now that you're away from R.U.S.T., what do you do in your spare time?

It's kind of weird coming back to a school and trying to socialize with other kids again. When I was in Project Rust they just had a tutor give me the basics, and they didn't seem to care if I wasn't that good at it. But the teachers at Pheonix Academy expect the students to treat the more normal classes the same as the superhero training.

Another thing I'm doing is trying to get used to hanging out with people my age again, just in a normal way instead of a superhero way. Mr. Jaeger said that would be good for me, that just fighting and never trying to connect with people normally won't end well. So I'm trying, even if it's difficult for me.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

thatbastardken posted:

I had an ex who was a conspiracy nut and well the Korean War Nuke is second only to who assassinated the Talon Lord in all the crazy conspiracy theories she spouted. Her pet theory was that it was a rogue element of the military which kinda lines up with what you said but she thought it was the Russian military. Apparently the records showed that a large number of Russian generals were "retired" or died in "training accidents" after the incident, which is supposed to be evidence of a purge. I thought the whole thing was loopy at the time. But now that I'm here and see how much power and secrecy your militaries try to maintain relative to the rest of you and I'm not so sure...

quote:

What do you miss most from your own time? And who?

My workshop. It wasn't particularly big or expensive but it was mine and I've always liked tinkering with things and learning how they work. I mean I'm no genius but I had a couple of projects on the go that I might never get the chance to finish. It was a good place to get away from the world and just have time to be me. I just hope SUZI is looking after it for me. I know it's silly to be more worried about a stupid AI than my parents or my brothers, it's just... well I built her myself (with the help of one of my brothers.) and I've shared ideas and thoughts and discussions with her that I'd never dare share with anyone else. The thought of her being wiped out of existence by some random fluctuation in the timeline is frightening.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

thatbastardken posted:

Awoo! Yip yip! Arf Arf Arf Arf arf bork! *makes puppy dog eyes*

I've heard that if you make the FEED ME eyes at the dinner ladies, they will give extras! Huh? Rumours about karaa? What is that? Can you eat it? I'm hungry! Feeed meeeeee

quote:

What's the best thing about being a human some of the time? And the worst?

*scratched behind ear* *shiver* *pant* Bjork! Snarf! Yip! *licks nose*

Well, while the transformation of the physical form is fast. The mental shift is not. Do you have any idea what happens when a human has the mind of a dog? Windows, walls, doors, buildings, cars. You just follow the urge, and going from dog strength to man strength and vice versa, sends you quite out of control. Never mind the shift in intelligence. It's honestly quite baffling.

But the best part? Ohhhh, reaching things! You don't know how much difference height makes! Shelves! The tops of tables! Peoples faces! I can reach them all! Although people give me odd looks when I start licking their faces in human form....

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

thatbastardken posted:

People believe whatever. Ox believes the atom bomb thing. My sorta-friend Nancy thinks the heroes actually opened a portal in space and time to go fight aliens. But let's be honest. Governments always have some kind of agenda to push. If they could scapegoat someone for this, they'd find a way to. They always do. I dunno what happened there, but if you wanna know whose fault it is, look at the people covering it up.

thatbastardken posted:

Which other student is trying to be friends with you, and why do they make you nervous?
Her name's Donna. Or Frost Lass, I guess. She thinks Sylv and I are "totally ginchy" and really cool for being rebels. But that's kinda it. She doesn't really get it, or get who I am. She just thinks breaking rules is cool. She's kinda really sheltered. Her parents are super rich - I mean, her dad's Mr. Frost - and to be fair to her, I don't think they let her get out much. Like they drove her here on the first day and insisted on coming in to hand her off to the faculty personally. They even had a servant bring her stuff in. So I'm surprised she's as alright as she is. I mean, look. I don't hate her. She means well. But she can be kinda ignorant. She's like barely clued in on a lot of stuff. And I let her come toke once cuz she found out we were going and made puppy dog eyes at me for not being invited, and...she was trying to be cool I think, but she went way too fast and ended up tossing all over the place. And that's not the only time she did something like that. I think she's trying to impress me or something, but she's gonna get hurt doing it. With my reputation, it's gonna get blamed on me. And the last thing I need is Mr. Frost breathing down my neck.

Wol fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 15, 2019

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

So, me mum tends to clam up whenever the incident is mentioned. I never gave it much thought, least not until I heard her talk to an old mate of hers one night. I only heard snippets of the conversation, but I heard them mentioning Korea and something about "their mistake." A name popped up, too. Thunderbolt, and something about people who disappeared during the incident suddenly reappearing again with no memory, and no powers either. Now, the smart thing to do would be to not get involved in whatever me mum was whispering about, but I can't exactly let it go after hearing all that. I want to know more about what's happening, but I know I'm not going to get anything from my mum, so I might have to do a bit of digging on my own.

quote:

You're not big on other people's rules, I get that. What's one rule you've set for yourself that you'll never break?

Aye, there is one rule I'll never break; I'll never abandon a close mate, no matter how bad things get. If a mate's in trouble, I'll do what I can to help them. Hope is one of my closest friends, she's almost like a sister to me, and I'll risk life and limb for her if she's ever in trouble. Most people are shite, but the few that aren't are worth looking out for, I think, and if you even think about messing with them, then you'll be messing with me as well, and I'd rather chop off me own limb than break that rule.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

edit: I totally missed Kid Blink dropping out so I gotta pick someone else now.

I tried really, really hard to make this an impartial process. I had a grid, trying to tie together themes and levels of comedy/seriousness/time nonsense-ness. In the end I couldn't do it, on account of not being able to put a knife between the apps in terms of quality. Just had to go with my gut. Please welcome the Phoenix Academy First Class team:

Unseenlibrarian as Kid 108, the Scion!

Mors Rattus as Enigma, the Protege!

GenuineRevelry as Scarlet Vixen, the Janus!

Alien Rope Burn as Mudskipper, the Outsider!

Aabcehmu as Ghastly, the Delinquent!

If you're on the main team please determine what happened when your team first came together, the relationships between you and your teammates, and who has Influence over you.

If you didn't get on the main team, please feel free to hang out in the discord and have non-canon adventures. The game will primarily be in a thread here unless people make a compelling case to use a different format.

I still have jury duty for at least a week, so don't expect an immediate start.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 22, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Enigma

No PC has Influence on me, because business demeanor.

When our team first came together…
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?

I want to say that we ended up sticking together because we'd worked really well as a team and managed to actually come out of it respecting each other, even if there might have been some rough patches. We're all going to the same school so it's pretty easy to stay in contact, but we've got a set of short-range radio transceivers, too - they're kind of bulky walkie-talkies by modern day standards, but cutting edge for the 60s. Not the easiest to hide during class, though.

Relationships
You and the Scarlet Vixen teamed up a few times from before the rest of you came together.

Inheritors need to stick together.

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Kid 108.

Not that Mister Mystery is opposed to crime in the right cause - it's that the 108 Righteous didn't actually follow a cause, and he wants to be sure Kid 108 doesn't end up going the same way.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 22, 2019

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Kid 108:

When our team first came together…
Someone important learned about my lineage and condemned us all. Who? Why?

Crystal "Diamond Jubilee" Rosen, The Most Popular Girl in school (TM). It, uh...turns out that my parents have robbed -her- parents on 7 different occasions, because they're so wealthy their daughter mutated into living diamond? I mean I don't think them having ridiculous amounts of money actually caused the transformation but I wouldn't be surprised, is what I'm saying.

Relationships

My parent once fought and thrashed Enigma ; I’ve got to find a way to make it up to them.

It was uh, less thrashed and more...'embarrassed'; they stole something out from under him and left a fake that was timed to explode in his face. It rained calling cards. Just not a good time, you know?

Mudskipper is the only one who understands what I’m going through; I told them which part of me I wished was more like my parent.

Okay, so it's not so much that I told them directly, but look, sometimes you end up talking to a random stray cat about feelings and they're huge gossips, so she brought it up later. I mean, it's not a big deal- mostly I was just wishing I had half their ability to disappear when consequences are about to hit. It'd be real handy when it's time to turn in the extra ethics homework I get assigned because of my upbringing.

Influences: Enigma again (Real sorry about that last card that spat out like a full second after the rest. that was, uh, my idea.), and Scarlet Vixen, mostly because her grandfather's pre-war career is kind of what Kid aspires to.

Respect:
Your personal idol: The Torchsinger. I've already talked about why.

Respect: ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ Advancement: ☐

Your parent’s greatest enemy: The Beautiful Beard. There's this guy who claims (and for all I know, may actually be) Guan Yu, the guy who became a god after being big in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. You know, the one that's for some reason is one of our gym coaches, always has a giant-rear end sword on a stick, has the kinda magic horse that's the terror of the equestrian club? (Why do we have an equestrian club) He always took exception to my parents running around doing crimes in the name of the 108 righteous, for which I don't blame him. So yeah. That's gonna be a thing.

Respect: ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ Advancement: ☐

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Ghastly

When our team first came together...
We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

The academy has rules for what kind of missions are appropriate for students, and what we're supposed to do when somebody really dangerous, like Sunwrath, turns out to be involved. We're supposed to retreat, and let the adults handle it. That didn't stop us, though! We smashed that operation without a single hitch, just like I knew we could.

Relationships

You keep trying to impress Enigma with your antics.
He's a real smart one. If I can dupe him (which I admit I haven't, yet) then I can probably dupe anybody.

You and Mudskipper pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.
I maybe took a little advantage of her unfamiliarity with the laws of the land, that's true, but her wardrobe is considerably expanded now, and I'm sure that retail store isn't going to miss those clothes.

Influences

You care way more than you let on. Enigma, Scarlet Vixen, and Mudskipper have influence over you.

I care about what Enigma thinks because he's as smart if not smarter than me, about what Scarlet Vixen thinks because she reminds me of some of my friends from before the disappearance, and Mudskipper because, well, I'm part of how she sees the world above the waves, right? I don't want to disappoint.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

When our team first came together... We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Enigma and Kid One-oh-Eight got in a fight, something about One-oh-Eight's parent being bad. I didn't understand, but people just kind of chose sides then... I just worried about Enigma and hung around him, but I didn't want to fight! I was pretty worried, but when Diamond Jubilee badmouthed One-oh-Eight, we realized how he felt and that the real bad one was the very pretty girl.

It is not we who are the squares! It is she that has more angles!

Relationships

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with Scarlet Vixen.

You have a crush on Kid 108 but you keep it under wraps.

Influence

Choose your demeanor: cheerful.

If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenuineRevelry
Aug 12, 2010

Decor Aficionado
Holding off on following up until a sixth pick is made so there are still influences to go around >.>

quote:

Ghastly knew you from your civilian life first.

It wasn't for very long. I actually had no idea that we were going to the same school. He was staying with relatives in our neighborhood before the semester began and I made bubbe's kugel and brought it over as a house warming gift and we talked a bit. It's weird being the new kid, you know? I talked a little about zaydee when he mentioned his grandpa. It was... It was nice.