Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Problem description: When I launch certain games like PUBG or Apex Legends, my computer reboots. No bluescreen, no minidump, even the Event Viewer gives me only EventID 41"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." with an EventID 161 "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." just before it.

Attempted fixes:
  • Googled for issues installing Battleye client with PUBG or launching Apex Legends with reboot. Can't find anything similar to my issue
  • BIOS Updates
  • Driver updates
  • Use Microsoft Driver Verifier Manager to hook standard setting in case a crash is caused by driver
  • Culling non-Microsoft drivers using DriverView
  • Test the RAM via overnight memtest86 (memory passed)
  • Test the GPU by running FurMark for an hour (system remained stable)

None of these things have changed it. I get why people would think GPU but my machine plays things like Destiny 2 Forsaken without issue. The PUBG crash is actually upon installing the Battleye client. The Apex Legends crash is upon first time start and I can't help but notice there's a "secured with Easycheat" or whatever. Could anti-cheat kernel driver/rootkits be causing this issue?

Recent changes: This has plagued me since my build in the fall of 2018.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro Build 17763 (1809 Feature Update)

System specs:
  • Intel i9-9900K
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm open to any suggestions at this point, I'm about to bow out of PC gaming otherwise.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
After I turned on driver verification and tried my iGPU, I actually got a bluescreen and a minidump! Ran the crash dump through windbg and "easyanticheat.sys" was definitely the culprit.

Really not sure why easy anticheat and the BattlEye installer are causing these issues. I suck too much to be using cheaters anyway.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got another crash trying to run PUBG, immediately after UAC escalation to install the BattlEye client for the first time. Luckily this produced another minidump:

code:
4: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Invalid system memory was referenced.  This cannot be protected by try-except.
Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.
Arguments:

... [snip]

IMAGE_NAME:  BEDaisy.sys
So now I can at least attribute each crash to the anticheat drivers.

Why the gently caress do the Easy Anti Cheat and BattlEye drivers crash my system?

Ran memtest86 all last night, 0 errors. Time to flatten and reinstall?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finally wrote an error report with stack traces to BattlEye and EAC especially since the latter's stack trace absolutely indicted their driver going down a code path that it shouldn't have.

Since no one cares about me liveblogging my troubleshooting I'll close the thread and play Destiny 2 or BF 5 or CoD 4 instead.