Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Problem description: I am unable to access UEFI settings. Attempting to access them instead boots Windows 10.

Attempted fixes: I have gone into Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart. Boots to Windows 10. Attempted several times.

I have opened up Command Prompt as an administrator. I then typed "shutdown.exe /r /o". This sent me to the same Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings > Restart. Boots to Windows 10. Attempted three times.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K
Memory: 32 GB (2x 16GB)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Extensively. They all offer the same advice, which I followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Are you on the latest motherboard BIOS?

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Can you try pressing the F2 or delete button repeatedly during bootup? this should interrupt even a fast boot, if you're quick.

You can't just hold down the key, or you'll get a keyboard error. press repeatedly just before and just after you press the power button for a cold boot.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Does your motherboard maybe have a button on it to boot into UEFI?
Or if that doesn't work you could go for more drastic measures and temporarily unplug the SATA cable from the boot drive.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Now that I'm more awake,I'm pretty sure Windows 8 only got rid of the things like the Safe Mode and the rest of the recovery boot menu to allow for pure Tablets (i.e. no hardware keyboard). This includes access to the UEFI firmware.

This also allows you to use laptop-style keyboards that may elect to remove some less-used keys (or make them function key combo).

You should have no trouble getting to the UEFI configuration menu on a regular motherboard with a regular keyboard by hitting the keys already mentioned above.

I can enter the UEFI firmware of my MSI board by hitting del repeatedly on boot, and I can hit the Asus UEFI firmware by doing the exact same thing. This isn't removed just because Windows would like you to think that it is.

Even with Fast Boot enabled, you are still capable of interrupting boot. See the last post in this thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-enter-bios-with-del-key.2955388/

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Zogo posted:

Are you on the latest motherboard BIOS?

I don't know, but I'm guessing not. I do not have the technical knowledge to change the BIOS but I have a roommate who would know how. I'll try that option when they have time.

defaultluser posted:

Can you try pressing the F2 or delete button repeatedly during bootup? this should interrupt even a fast boot, if you're quick.

You can't just hold down the key, or you'll get a keyboard error. press repeatedly just before and just after you press the power button for a cold boot.

defaultluser posted:

I can enter the UEFI firmware of my MSI board by hitting del repeatedly on boot, and I can hit the Asus UEFI firmware by doing the exact same thing. This isn't removed just because Windows would like you to think that it is.

Even with Fast Boot enabled, you are still capable of interrupting boot. See the last post in this thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-enter-bios-with-del-key.2955388/

I was confused by this advice because I thought I had mentioned it, but I did try getting into UEFI via the keyboard. I tried a single press of F2 and Delete (both separately and together) after the computer lit up. I tried again after the keyboard lit up. I also tried hammering the buttons and holding the buttons. I did all those methods multiple times. I tried again today just to make sure, and the same result: Boot to Windows.

Geemer posted:

Does your motherboard maybe have a button on it to boot into UEFI?
Or if that doesn't work you could go for more drastic measures and temporarily unplug the SATA cable from the boot drive.

I've checked the manual and my motherboard doesn't have such a button. My harddrive is a M.2 which causes an issue with unplugging it. I can't get to it without taking off the heatsink, which covers it up. I'd have to take off the heatsink, unplug the drive, redo the heatsink, attempt to get into UEFI that way, and then take it out, take out the heatsink, put the harddive back in, and redo the heatsink a second time. I'd really rather not have to redo the heat sink twice as that's a hassle, but I'll do it if nothing else works.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 6, 2019