Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Shame Boy posted:

Considering the sales of 3 and how the anime was received i'm very uncertain about ever getting to see the end of this story sadly :(

I mean, getting 3 in the first place much less an anime adaptation of 1 & 2 was firmly in the realm of never gonna happen for decades. I’m hoping that if another game can’t get made, they’ll at least find some way to disseminate the rest of the story. It’d be a waste to let it go completely unfinished forever.

I think Yu Suzuki’s vision for the series, such as it is, calls for him to hold out as long as possible if it means getting to do it in game format.

I respect that he didn’t rush an ending with 3. I just hope he can tell the rest on his terms, game or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Also Shenmue 3 was never going to sell gangbusters or revive the franchise. It was clearly made in the interest of the people who wanted it, and that’s clear in the final product as well. It’s extremely a product of what made the first two games unique, with little in the way of modernization.

Personally I loved it. And I’m happy the moment was seized to make it a possibility. But it wasn’t going to attract or wow any newcomers.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Still pretty salty that Yu Suzuki got his once in a lifetime miracle allowing him to make shenmue 3 and decided to assume he would totally get more games and end on a cliffhanger

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gutcruncher posted:

Still pretty salty that Yu Suzuki got his once in a lifetime miracle allowing him to make shenmue 3 and decided to assume he would totally get more games and end on a cliffhanger

I loved 3 but it was pretty ridiculous how it barely advances the main story.

I really recommended picking up Air Twister when it comes to non-phone platforms in November. It actually turned out to be really good and it’s super cool to get a new classic style arcade game from Suzuki.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

I loved 3 but it was pretty ridiculous how it barely advances the main story.

This is probably my biggest gripe with it. I actually like the ending, I just wish something, anything meaningful happened leading up to it.

We get a tiny bit more context for the mirrors and Ryo’s dad, but it’s not much. And then it repeats the same story arc twice! Ryo gets his rear end kicked by a thug, trains a bunch and learns the move to defeat them (which is nearly identical both times!), then beats them.

I think the highlights were the quieter moments, like having conversations with Shenhua whenever you were back at the home base.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Walking around the village and especially the town in 3 were some of the best parts, the constant money grinding though? A bit less so.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Shame Boy posted:

Walking around the village and especially the town in 3 were some of the best parts, the constant money grinding though? A bit less so.

The trick to this is always be picking herbs. Sell them in sets whenever you can, you’ll have more than enough money for the entire game.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
God, even new posts in this topic got my heart beating fast. I don't feel anything about any game series as much as shenmue, and there will never be anything ever like it again.

The thing that broke game 3 for me was the fact that wholesale story plot points were basically just copied and repeated as the resolution and escalation of the stories, which was obviously an artifact of just running out of time and having a budget which made it impossible to execute the full vision without relying on stuff like that, but absolutely deflated me when we had to do the exact same thing again 20 hours after the first time, as what should have been the culmination of the games plot. Also some things played out as revelations for the plot story were things we already knew, and were attempted to be sold like new information so they feel flat. There was about 4 new things plot wise, and they all pretty much happened at the end of the second part.

They got the spirit of the originals in the game, despite story and technical limitations, so I don't think ripped off, but it was a game that VERY much felt it had a 20th of the budget it had for the first two games, and tried the best it could but fell short because of those limitations.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

This may be a dissenting opinion in this thread, but as a fan of Shenmue I and II who waited for years in anticipation of some sort of continuation, III was a total slog of a video game. The technical buffoonery, bad character art, stilted and disconnected dialogue, nearly zero plot movement, and endless variations of wood chopping QTEs made it especially hard to tolerate nearly twenty years on. Clearly a game made by a team who wasn't interested in (or possibly capable of) pleasing anyone outside of a narrow-band of fans who were bound to buy it regardless of critical reception (myself included). These aren't new criticisms but the intervening years haven't softened that initial blow of disappointment

I played it once, finished it reluctantly, and immediately figured there would never be a follow-up. Yu Suzuki blew it, and given the state of III, I'd rather cherish/replay my memories of I and II and let the series die a quiet death than put any faith in a satisfying follow-up. And let's be real, where can it possibly go? Ryo finally kills Lan Di? More henchmen and misdirection extend out an increasingly convoluted plot for V? USA arc?

What made Shenmue a novel, innovative video game in 1999—which I largely attribute to western teenagers resonating with quotidian Japanese suburban life, then the excitement and allure of Hong Kong before the ubiquity of Asian media in the West—is no longer original enough to be compelling, which leaves only the plot, and after III, truly whatever.

gottagotowork fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 16, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don’t think you’re in the minority in considering Shenmue 3 a disappointment. I just really like it despite its faults, it feels like such an earnest attempt to make another one of those games, and the vibes ended up working for me. There’s plenty not to like even as a fan of the first two games. The combat is total dogshit, the stamina system is a needless hindrance, the story is a big nothing, etc. And yet it still managed to hit all the right “notes” to make it feel like a third Shenmue title.

Unfortunately it’s unlikely to satisfy a lot of fans or any potential newcomers, so here we are. I still loved my time in rural China and think the game came out remarkably well given its Kickstarter origins.

Plus it’s like, I’ve been invested in this stupid story for so long now, of course I still want to see it through. I have to know how Yu Suzuki’s big ‘ol vision pans out.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

I feel you, and I certainly can't fault a fellow fan for wanting to see how things wind up, for better or worse. I just wish things had turned out differently. Who knows, if III was possible despite huge barriers, maybe we'll see something in the future and some consessions to modernity will be made. And despite my hesitations and complaints I'd still dutifully shell out for it either way

On another note, I wish III was basically a romhack/engine rework of I and II, however technically or legally implausible that might have been. The modernization didn't seem to benefit the core systems much and I and II still hold up visually for the most part.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still the worst part of 3 was the combat, insanely dire from someone involved in the creation of Virtua Fighter.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My brain completely erased what the combat was from my memory due to being so bad.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

I forgot I Parsec'd the entirety of III with a friend and they exclusively handled the combat segments thankfully lol

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

well if these last few posts haven't convinced you yet dear reader, Shenmue III is currently 85% off on Steam!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Shenmue 3 battle system doesn’t have throws lol

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It’s a very bizzare and unintuitive, like, dial-a-move system with weird input delay and just lovely overall feel.

I threw the game on easy and never looked back.

I did kind of enjoy the loop of sparring and training to level up moves which feeds into increased damage and health for you. That felt appropriate and satisfying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Now I remember that.:lol:

Bought the game again on Steam with left over credit even though I had it free on Epic. I really want 4 to happen even if it had the same lovely combat system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like the innocence of "IDK just try hitting some buttons!"

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

“Yeah idk man just hit whatever, something’ll come out. That right trigger button might do something, too. Honestly even we’re not sure how this combat system works”

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still think the combat was a last minute change because something went wrong with using the VF style one from the first two games.

Or maybe it was just a badly designed game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I remember being so glad I went to the top of the village Kung fu dojo because I just KNEW they'd make it mandatory at some point and I was RIGHT

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Oh cool, I didn't know there was a Shenmue thread.

I got a Dreamcast from a local retro game shop a few years back and bought a copy of Shenmue off of eBay, but the discs were scuffed in someway, so it would always lock up when trying to load a scene. Eventually I learned you could burn Dreamcast games to CD-R, and I was able to play it that way, but I think I got preoccupied with something else.

Eventually, it came out on Steam so I bought that version, and made a small chunk of progress. I've since changed computers, so there's the possibility I might have to start over if Steam Cloud doesn't transfer saves.

I remember the third disc of the Dreamcast version had some bonus stuff on it. Did any of that get carried over to the Steam release?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

There are mods to restore anything missing from the Steam one including stuff that got cut from the western DC release like Coke.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

Oh cool, I didn't know there was a Shenmue thread.

I got a Dreamcast from a local retro game shop a few years back and bought a copy of Shenmue off of eBay, but the discs were scuffed in someway, so it would always lock up when trying to load a scene. Eventually I learned you could burn Dreamcast games to CD-R, and I was able to play it that way, but I think I got preoccupied with something else.

Eventually, it came out on Steam so I bought that version, and made a small chunk of progress. I've since changed computers, so there's the possibility I might have to start over if Steam Cloud doesn't transfer saves.

I remember the third disc of the Dreamcast version had some bonus stuff on it. Did any of that get carried over to the Steam release?

The “Shenmue Passport”. There’s little of interest on it. It had some internet connectivity stuff iirc but mostly served as a way to listen to tracks and watch cutscenes. Had some mildly entertaining videos on it of characters explaining Shenmue to you and I think some vintage trailers and stuff. You can probably YouTube any of the worthwhile stuff.

None of that disc’s content is in the remasters.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

man nurse posted:

The “Shenmue Passport”. There’s little of interest on it. It had some internet connectivity stuff iirc but mostly served as a way to listen to tracks and watch cutscenes. Had some mildly entertaining videos on it of characters explaining Shenmue to you and I think some vintage trailers and stuff. You can probably YouTube any of the worthwhile stuff.

None of that disc’s content is in the remasters.

Didn't it have a scene with one of the SEGA executives agonizing over all the unsold Dreamcasts?

EDIT: Oh, I guess that was the demo, What's Shenmue, with Hidekazu Yukawa.

Whenever I see this image now, I just think of that one SA thread where they talk about schadenfreude.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 21, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

IGN did an interview with Yu Suzuki

Shenmue 4 status? Still wants to make it. Mentions incorporating playable flashbacks to ease new players into the overall story as well as a means to revisit locations like Dobuita with modern graphics.

That’s all. Hope springs eternal

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

man nurse posted:

IGN did an interview with Yu Suzuki

Shenmue 4 status? Still wants to make it. Mentions incorporating playable flashbacks to ease new players into the overall story as well as a means to revisit locations like Dobuita with modern graphics.

That’s all. Hope springs eternal
Did he mention shenmues 5 through 7 as well?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
is that the interview where he mentions a yakuza 0 like shenmue game or are all these other places ive read that from just misinterpreting it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

is that the interview where he mentions a yakuza 0 like shenmue game or are all these other places ive read that from just misinterpreting it?

There was mention of Yakuza taking inspiration from his work and he briefly entertained the idea of a prequel being a cool idea.