Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

quote:

For a long time, we were at war with The Jackals. Now, finally, we've driven them off, and we're left with this: a year of relative peace. One quiet year, with which to build our community up and learn again how to work together. Come Winter, the Frost Shepherds will arrive and we might not survive the encounter. This is when it will end. But we don't know about that yet. What we know is that right now, in this moment, there is an opportunity to build something.
What is The Quiet Year?
The Quiet Year is a minimalist, introspective map-making game of mystery and discovery in a harsh, yet beautiful post-collapse world, designed by Avery Alder. We'll use it tell the story of a small community struggling to survive and thrive after the collapse of civilisation. We'll follow them as they explore a world of familiar strangeness – of modern-day objects and places stripped of meaning and reinterpreted by new eyes. We'll help and hinder them as they go about their business, fracture, reform, and try to build something new in a year of relative peace. However, whatever may come, the story will end with the inevitable arrival of the mysterious Frost Shepherds some time in Winter. That's why it's 'The Quiet Year'.

At its core, this is a game about asking and answering questions about our community and their world. Who are they? What – or who – is out there? How should we deal with our problems and one another? What lines will or won't we draw or cross for the sake of our people? Appropriately, the game takes a bird's-eye view. We'll collectively play the zeitgeist of these people – a fractious mix of beliefs, attitudes and traditions that are often at odds with one another – rather than separately playing individual characters. That's not to say individuals are unimportant – far from it, they help endear us to the community and its struggles – but we're working on a larger scale. As for the wider world and the collapse, we'll learn about both as the game goes on, but we're not playing to write a historical record (as we might in a game like Microscope). We're telling a community's story and building a psychological map; when it comes to the collapse, our main focus is how its causes and consequences shape the community and its world.

Note: This game is a minor variation on the original rules, but not one to worry about if you haven’t played before. For those that have, there are a number of extra cards per season, but we’ll only be drawing up to 13 as normal. This introduces more randomness into the oracle, which, if you’ve played several times, starts to become a little predictable.

How do you play it?
TQY is a turn-based game for 3-4 players. Each turn represents 1 week, 13 weeks form 1 season, and 4 seasons form the eponymous year.

Before the game begins, we set up the basic details of the community’s world (e.g. is it a tundra, an island, a river valley?) then each add a single more specific feature (e.g. a place, a creature, a phenomenon), and then create a starting Resource – something the community needs, materially or psychologically, like wood, cattle, or hope. A community’s Resources say a lot about itself. Resources are split into Abundances or Scarcities – things the community has a lot more or less than they need, though things aren’t always black and white (e.g. an Abundance of cattle may make the community a target for raiders). Finally, we vote on which starting Resource is Abundant – the rest are Scarcities. All of this gets added to the map.

During the game proper, we take turns drawing cards from an ‘oracle’, a special deck filled with story prompts and instructions split into the four seasons. Here’s an example from Summer:

quote:

Someone new arrives. Who? Why are they in distress?
Or
Someone leaves the community. Who? What are they looking for?
Once you’ve resolved the instructions, you take a standard action of your own:
  • Start a Project – describe how part or all of the community takes action to achieve a specific goal that will take 1-6 weeks to complete. The scavengers say they've seen things like the raiders' killing rods out in the scrap hills, and set out to collect as many as they can find.
  • Hold a Discussion – put forward a question or statement and let everyone chime in with the community's thoughts. “We have too little food and too many mouths to feed. Some of the children must go, so that the rest may live.”
  • Discover Something New – add something new to the map that the community's just discovered. While disposing of some old bones at the midden heap, Anna makes a gruesome discovery – a human carcass in the muck.
You can update the community’s Resources if you think it’s appropriate, and other players can take Contempt tokens if they think that part of the community will be frustrated or alienated by what happens in your turn. You can only spend Contempt by taking selfish actions that harm the wider community, or when the community makes amends.

At the end of your turn you do a roundup of Projects, Resources, and Contempt, and add images, icons, or drawings to the map to show how the world has changed. If any Projects finish on your turn, whoever started them says how they end. Then we move on to the next player. For example posts, see the finished games linked below.

During the game we'll use roll20 for the oracle decks (custom cards uploaded to a tabletop there, the standard deck courtesy of forums user Kestrel and the newly added cards in a simpler design) and the digital whiteboard RealtimeBoard for making the map. There’s a 3-users-per-board limit on Realtimeboard, so we’ll either play in groups of 3 or share a single generic throwaway account.

What expectations should I have?
Here are all the finished TQY games run in TG, to my knowledge:
The Heart's Cartography
Bleeds the Sky
Drowns the Sky
Asks the Earth (winter start)
Aches the Earth
Breathes the Sea

Overall, TQY is like an introspective mirror of a 4X game. Our community will definitely explore, probably expand, possibly exploit and maybe exterminate, but the game isn't about strategy or resource management. Instead, most of the mechanics help the players signal what's important to the community (or parts of it), then put hard questions about them to the community – and the players. For example, one of the most powerful games I've played started with 'mercy' as an Abundance and 'children' as a Scarcity (it's The Heart's Cartography, if you want to find out what happened next).

Here are some more specific points:
  1. Spotlight – story-related OOC chat is banned, so your turn is your own contribution.
  2. GMlessness – everyone has power and responsibility, though the oracle and minimalist style help. You need to be willing to make trouble as well as solve it; TQY’s much more involving when players make 'bad' choices sometimes and put the community in a tight spot.
  3. Brevity – the game lasts a few real-time weeks; the ~50 turns go by quicker than you might think; and you need to make the most of each turn, because it only comes once.

How do I sign up?
Before signing up, bear in mind that during the game you’ll need to post within 24 hours of the previous player or your turn'll be skipped.

First, let us know whether you've played the game before. If not, I’ll send you a rules summary before the game begins.

Post pics, music, etc. that gets across the style/genre/atmosphere you’re looking for.

After a couple of days we'll start setup. If there are more than 3-4 people (including me) then we'll split into groups of 3-4 as best we can.

Some images to start us off:

Likewise, music:
Celeste OST – First Steps
Emancipator – Safe in the Steep Cliffs
Night in the Woods OST – Astral Alley

:siren: Discord: :siren: There’s also a discord for rules-light games, story-games, and other indie stuff here, with a link to the spreadsheet containing all the new card prompts. You’re welcome to add more, or work on ideas for more in the channel. However, as usual for The Quiet Year, there won’t be much OOC chat about the story during the game.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I will never turn down a game of TQY.

I'll PM my email address once we have the groups and have played before.

Come add more cards everyone, we're still a few short from a complete second set!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Ah, that reminds me, we don't need to post email addresses any more. Just PM them to me on discord, or here.

EDIT: Scratch that, turns out Realtimeboard doesn't block all throwaway email servers, just some. You can still send your email address if you want, but from what I've tested, https://www.temp-mail.org and https://www.throwawaymail.com both work if you'd rather not use your own.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 26, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’m in. Never played before, though.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I've never played the game before, but I did get it recently from Bundle of Holding and I've been pretty interested in trying it out.

As for atmosphere, I don't have much in the way of pictures, but there was a song that came to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY9xR0WwZjs

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Always.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Haven't played before, but I would love to participate. Especially since I've been tasked with finding a collaborative storytelling type game for a local group, and reading the description of this really makes me want to try it out. I can get/send forum PMs, so let me know if that's a good way to transmit personal contact info. I have a roll20 account as well, if that helps.

And music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBZeWjGjl8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7VKwS5K-Hc&list=PL12CC866BEBEE7087

Having not played before, I'm definitely not married to any of these and am more than happy to jump on board with any theme and give it a go.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Sorry all, couldn't do the pic / music hunt at work. Here's what I've got for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neSm7D5NtQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kedoo_A2uI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrq84yClS1E

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Current players:
  • UnCO3
  • Fathis Munk
  • Basic Chunnel
  • Maleketh
  • Tyrannosaurus
  • El Spamo
I'll leave recruitment open for a few more days, or until we get 9-12 people. Also, there's a Discord server!

Fathis Munk posted:

I will never turn down a game of TQY.

I'll PM my email address once we have the groups and have played before.

Come add more cards everyone, we're still a few short from a complete second set!
Yeah, if anyone's interested in playing and has played before (and so knows how what the prompts look like, and how it works in play), come to the Discord and help build the expansions to each season. We're aiming for at least 50% more (so 7+ more cards) and while we're almost there, it'd be great to have even more.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm in. Never played before, though.
No worries, it's very simple - the main stumbling block is probably just not having the right mental image of what playing the game looks like (or, a hugely different image to the rest of the players). I've added some posts/turns from past games on SA to the end of this post for those who don't have archives.

Maleketh posted:

I've never played the game before, but I did get it recently from Bundle of Holding and I've been pretty interested in trying it out.

As for atmosphere, I don't have much in the way of pictures, but there was a song that came to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY9xR0WwZjs
Always great to have new players - and see above. Yes.

El Spamo posted:

Haven't played before, but I would love to participate. Especially since I've been tasked with finding a collaborative storytelling type game for a local group, and reading the description of this really makes me want to try it out. I can get/send forum PMs, so let me know if that's a good way to transmit personal contact info. I have a roll20 account as well, if that helps.

. . .

Having not played before, I'm definitely not married to any of these and am more than happy to jump on board with any theme and give it a go.
PMs are fine, as is the Discord server. Already having a roll20 account is also helpful. One thing I'll say about real life vs PbP is that PbP TQY tends to be more deliberate and rational, and less likely to go gonzo, in my experience. Separately, if you've got a regular small group then it can work well as a side-story, setup/prologue, or epilogue.

Let me know if you'd like more suggestions for games like this - I've got a bunch, mostly ones that I haven't been able to play myself.

-

For those who don't have archives, here are some example turns from previous games:

quote:

Spring – Week 9

quote:

There's a giant, man-made structure on the map. Where is it? Why is it abandoned?
The Tanks lie just south-east of the Leviathan, half-submerged by the water that rose up to cover the land when the Before Time ended. We only know where it they are now by the long pipes and rounded silos protruding from the water. It hasn't happened in living memory, but once in a great while a strong enough storm will upset something inside the Tanks, and noxious poisons will spill out in to the sargasso which can set the water itself afire.

Action - Start a Project: One of our most bloody-handed warriors, Katherine, is incensed at the presence of the Cold Winds slaver. She has begun to spread her anger to others, but it's an up-hill battle. It is clear she wants the man dead. But more, she wants to save 'her' son.

Projects: Trade Expedition (5), Turn the people against the slaver (3), Redirect the stream (1)
Abundances: mercy
Scarcities: children, clean water, food, petrol
Contempt: Kestral (0), UnCO3 (1), dereku (0), willing to settle (0)

quote:

Winter – Week 11

quote:

A great atrocity is revealed.

What is it? Who uncovers it?

The tribe is eager to aggressively expand our borders. When facing the winterstorms there is the feeling of helplessness and tininess but riding out and doing something feels right. Even old white-haired Monkh spurs his horse into action. To West, though, he finds not grass but warm stone where snow won't stick and unmoving shadows that are hot to the touch. Human shadows. Ancient memories etched into the ground.

Action – Hold a Discussion: "Perhaps we have forgotten too much. Some grumble about our laws. Others, our warrior ways. Yet I am old and even I have no memory of this place. We should begin pilgrimages here and erect a shrine to our ancestors."

Projects: Community rules roundtable (2), Redefining our borders (5)
Abundances: horses, hunting birds
Scarcities: grazing land, laws, animal feed
Contempt: UnCO3 (1), Tyrannosaurus (0), ibntumart (0)

quote:

Summer – Week 4

quote:

A project finishes early. What led to its early completion?

This is no time to feast. Our ancestors are choking on the black waters of the bay, and the maneaters are making a counterattack. Some say we must beg the Gods’ forgiveness – others say we should not forgive them for the hardship they put us through. These trials will eat us alive one way or another if we do not devote ourselves to overcoming them.

Action – Hold a Discussion: Death to the Gods.

Projects: Penetrate the Vessel and recover old knowledge (3)
Abundances: seafood, fresh water
Scarcities: pre-war knowledge, gods, shelter
Contempt: UnCO3 (0), Tyrannosaurus (0), megane (0), Dog Kisser (0)

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Never played before but have been interested for a while and have joined the Discord. Also curious about the Giants/Fantasy-themed variant she made as well. In that theme...

and this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Holy crap, I almost posted this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el93MIxAf-c

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I have no idea what this is or how to play it but the concept and atmosphere pictures/songs have me hooked anyway. Consider me in!

Theme images:

source: Tokyo Genso

And bonus song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVekJTmtwqM

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Current players:
  • UnCO3
  • Fathis Munk
  • Basic Chunnel
  • Maleketh
  • Tyrannosaurus
  • El Spamo
  • Frgrbrgr
  • Aesculus
Recruitment closes in 24 hours! As it stands we'll go with 2 groups of 4, but we can do groups of 4 or a mix depending on how many more people sign up.

Frgrbrgr posted:

Never played before but have been interested for a while and have joined the Discord. Also curious about the Giants/Fantasy-themed variant she made as well. In that theme...
Yeah, The Deep Forest is on my list of TQY variants to play. If only there weren't so many other games to play, too...

Aesculus posted:

I have no idea what this is or how to play it but the concept and atmosphere pictures/songs have me hooked anyway. Consider me in!
No worries, the game is very simple and I'll be posting some more advice once recruitment is done.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sticking my foot in the door. I’ll have images later tonight.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Following some discussion on Discord, recruitment is open until we get 2-3 more players, or until around Monday.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I guess I'm due to post some art.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I have two different inspirations right now. Either a more classical desert-y one

Or, a game set entirely in a Kowloon walled city like mega city with a community living in a set of empty abandoned apartments and exploring/scavenging through the old empty towers and shops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's lean into the Mongolian steppe aesthetic all the more with The Hu's other hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8dCGIm6yc