Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts

I'm feeling huge on photoshop today, what are we still lacking right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Once this is finished I absolutely would like to sponsor a byob banner ad with it by the way, so if you got suggestions!!

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

I'm feeling huge on photoshop today, what are we still lacking right now?

most immediately, we could use upper-case f, q, and v! that way we would at least have a full alphabet of upper case.

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

working on F, work in progress as i try to move an dstretch his arms

ty manifisto

alnilam

lol i did the top arm but not the bottom yet and it looks like some crazy gravity poo poo is going on with the drips

ty manifisto

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

working on F, work in progress as i try to move an dstretch his arms

lol, fantastic

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Going to start work on a Q in a bit!

Also that F looks amazing already

alnilam

hmm something seems a little off here

ty manifisto

alnilam

okay how is this, open to constructive criticism

e: changed to timg, i feel like some of the imperfections are less visible when it is smaller size as it probably will be whene making letters

ty manifisto

alnilam

or does this look more like an F

ty manifisto

Manifisto

whoa, I like them both! the second one does look a bit more efflike, at least to me, but let's let others weigh in

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

At the very first glance it looked less like an F but as the guy himself, but that shouldn't be less of a problem inside a text. The second pictures however improves this clearly, so I'd go for that one. If possible and if it doesn't break the letter, I'd maybe try to distort the head a tiny bit to bring it closer to the upper arm, that should make the F very clear. However I might be very wrong on that!

Robot Made of Meat

alnilam posted:

or does this look more like an F

I like this one better. Can some of the bubbles be made into :byob1: dudes, or is that too much work for too little gain?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Goons Are Gifts

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I like this one better. Can some of the bubbles be made into :byob1: dudes, or is that too much work for too little gain?

Oh my God that is a lovely idea

Goons Are Gifts

Sorry for the delay, I was really having a hard time coming up with a fun idea, after I figured that we already have like four pizzas. Instead I thought, let's do a fun BYOB the font collaboration project for the letter that gets used almost as rarely as X!

It's not all of them, in no particular order other than the file names and they are not proportionally sized.
Let me know what you think!

Stoner Sloth

cosnpirabcy confirmed@!

Goons Are Great posted:

Sorry for the delay, I was really having a hard time coming up with a fun idea, after I figured that we already have like four pizzas. Instead I thought, let's do a fun BYOB the font collaboration project for the letter that gets used almost as rarely as X!

It's not all of them, in no particular order other than the file names and they are not proportionally sized.

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

it's great! it's very, uh, meta.

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

It really is, hence why I was unsure if you'd like it but other concepts I had were either bad or not like a Q at all, so I figured this may at least be something!
I still have the PSD though so if you'd like anything to be changed, I'm open for it!

alnilam

okay i turned his head a little, which ws a good sugegstion, and i tried to do it with gimp tricks and ended up finding it easier to just cut, rotate, and manually draw back in the gaps bc it's a cartoon. i was afraid to try bc i'm bad at drawring but it turned out fine i think

added the :byob1: to the drips but they will probably not really be noticeable when the letter is in use, still we will know the secret :byob1:

ty manifisto

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

okay i turned his head a little, which ws a good sugegstion, and i tried to do it with gimp tricks and ended up finding it easier to just cut, rotate, and manually draw back in the gaps bc it's a cartoon. i was afraid to try bc i'm bad at drawring but it turned out fine i think

added the :byob1: to the drips but they will probably not really be noticeable when the letter is in use, still we will know the secret :byob1:

very cool! op updated accordingly

okay, who's up for designing a capital v?

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

lmao that my lovely B is one of the most used letters since it's in BYOB

ty manifisto

alnilam

this font is so good i want to write all my work suff in it

ty manifisto

Manifisto

by the way I tried to see if fontforge could be used to make a real font out of the images, I posted questions in a couple of forums but nobody answered :smith:

my assumption is that fontforge can't do it and it's a fairly niche need that the devs are unlikely to implement

alnilam

I have an idea

alnilam

i think i could write a python script that wil take text and read the images and produce a big image with the font images stitched together

the simplest version, which i could try first, would just be taking a singly string, no line breaks, and just making an image

then that function could be built out to read a whole text file or something and put line breaks where appropriate

python scripts can be compiled into executables so you din't have to have python installed, which i haven't messed around with yet but could try, and this would end up requiring that people download the executable somehow, trust me not to make a virus, probably would require simple command line use, etc
OR
if anyone here is a Web Wizard, i know you can make like web applets that use python code on the back-end so we could mke like a web based byob text image generator, which would be even cooler. i def don't know how to do that part so that would have to fall to someone else

ty manifisto

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

i think i could write a python script that wil take text and read the images and produce a big image with the font images stitched together

the simplest version, which i could try first, would just be taking a singly string, no line breaks, and just making an image

then that function could be built out to read a whole text file or something and put line breaks where appropriate

python scripts can be compiled into executables so you din't have to have python installed, which i haven't messed around with yet but could try, and this would end up requiring that people download the executable somehow, trust me not to make a virus, probably would require simple command line use, etc
OR
if anyone here is a Web Wizard, i know you can make like web applets that use python code on the back-end so we could mke like a web based byob text image generator, which would be even cooler. i def don't know how to do that part so that would have to fall to someone else

if you want to do that feel free! I mean, the blender thing I did could be polished and used by anyone who wanted to accomplish the same thing, and the text is editable and positionable and whatnot

however the version of blender I did it in is the beta of the upcoming major new release, the beta is actually impressively stable but for some reason it has a crash associated with the font thing

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

If no one else wants to get their hands on it, I'm happy to try a capital V! Got an idea already, but maybe it turns out rather bad like my original ideas with the Q.
I could get on that after work!

Also, that script sounds amazing!!

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

I love the byobuddies but you're right they will probably not be discernable

I noticed something else when your character gets shrunk to text size: the lines around frink get really thin, almost disappear, most noticeably on a white background

what would you think of a slightly thicker outline to make up for this? e.g.

. . . or . . .

alnilam

:yeah: good point, both look fine to me use your judgement

ty manifisto

Goons Are Gifts

Jeez, sorry for the delay, completely forgot about my assignment for a V.
Design featuring the double bong concept from byob the corporation:

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Jeez, sorry for the delay, completely forgot about my assignment for a V.
Design featuring the double bong concept from byob the corporation:

very good! everyone knows "V" is for sharing.

ty nesamdoom!

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

V is for vape bong x2, clearly

sig by owlhawk911

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Manifisto posted:

oh god dippy needs to be added to the byob font

sadly both lower and upper case "v" are spoken for

we'll figure something out though

maybe a small dippy could be the period

or mirrored dippys could be the greater than and less than signs

ty nesamdoom!