Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone lived happily ever after except for the bad guy and there were no war crimes or civilian casualties and everything is going to go back to normal in like a week because we’re dealing with a work of fiction in which wars are frequent and frictionless except when they aren’t for story purposes. Can you tell I’m getting incredibly cynical about these games as we finally claw our way to daylight on them, or have I just always been like that? Please, let me know by posting something about it so that I know people are actually reading this poo poo and I’m not just screaming into the void about the nichest entry in a series of already niche games about magic jet planes and fantasyland geopolitics that falls apart the second you bother to try and analyze any of it.

I'mma chalk that up to going back-to-back from AC6 to ACX, both of which are pretty big on the "consequences of war what consequences" side of the scale more than anything else. Mostly because 7...well...doesn't exactly hold back on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I admit I skim most of the lore posts for this game but usually I enjoy them! And I'm really looking forward to 7.

edit: Speaking of other games, of the links in the OP to the LP archive the only ones that exist are 0, 2, and 3.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Sindai posted:

I admit I skim most of the lore posts for this game but usually I enjoy them! And I'm really looking forward to 7.

edit: Speaking of other games, of the links in the OP to the LP archive the only ones that exist are 0, 2, and 3.

4, 5 and 6 are placeholders pending Crow completing the bonus videos and getting them archived.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

4, 5 and 6 are placeholders pending Crow completing the bonus videos and getting them archived.

I mean, 4 is 100% done, I just need to proofread it and resend the archive request to Baldurk because he changed the procedure for getting stuff archived since the last time I sent something off to him for archival.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, 4 is 100% done, I just need to proofread it and resend the archive request to Baldurk because he changed the procedure for getting stuff archived since the last time I sent something off to him for archival.

i think it's reasonable baldurk update the process every 5 years :v:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone lived happily ever after except for the bad guy and there were no war crimes or civilian casualties
That what you get for not taking notes from Belka. Leave warcrimes to experts and those who fight against them.

Though you should say, it wasn't for the lack of trying. 3 cities were on the brink of complete destruction (by shockwave burst, poison gas and ballistic missiles) if not for that meddling pilot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was a game, a game about planes. It wrapped up far, far too cleanly. The "bad ending" seemed more honest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

goatface posted:

It was a game, a game about planes. It wrapped up far, far too cleanly. The "bad ending" seemed more honest.

Yeah, especially for the situation of a military dictatorship based around a Big Lie suddenly collapsing. There’s still going to be people out there loyal to the dictator and who still believe the Big Lie and will keep fighting for it. We’ve seen that in real life lately in the recent months and over the last 20 years in general.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think it says something about devils? I can only read in little endian :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Operation X

SP Mission: Operation X – Date Unknown, 20XX

Overview: Gryphus 1 is invited to participate in a special training operation against some of Aurelia’s most advanced aircraft...

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this final for real video of the base game of Ace Combat X by Trizophenie. Because he joined me for Mission 2, which, aside from Mission 1 is the only mission in the game that doesn’t have an A, B, or C variant, he returns for Operation X to ensure that like everyone else on the commentary roster he puts in at least two appearances in the LP.

OPERATION X

Unlocked by beating all 30 missions of Ace Combat X on a single save file, Operation X is the game’s one and only Special or SP Mission. Other games like Assault Horizon Legacy would include a larger slate of SP Missions, while Ace Combat 7 features a slate of three SP Missions as DLC that take place midway through the game’s main storyline in the two-week gap between the missions Bunker Buster and Cape Rainy Assault.

Operation X is analogous to The Gauntlet from Ace Combat Zero, in that you are thrown into combat against a roster of enemies, though instead of Name Aces, Operation X is where the game’s not-so-special special planes come out to play. You face off against a progression of waves of enemies, starting with two XFA-24A Apalises and two YR-302 Fregatas, then two XR-45 Cariburns, then two YR-99 Forneuses, then two XFA-27s, then two X-02 Wyverns.

For every enemy killed, the game will spawn in the next plane on the roster so you’re always facing at least three or four enemies until the final X-02 is defeated. At that point four TGT ADF-01 FALKENs will spawn in all around you as the final boss of Operation X. The FALKENs all have the TLS laser equipped on them as their special weapon, but are somewhat reticent to fire it on lower difficulties. The FALKENs are programmed when using their lasers to sweep across the player’s fight path only briefly to cause low to medium damage instead of training the laser on the player for prolonged periods to deal lethal damage like the player would against a target. The four FALKENs in Operation X were also the first time that an enemy FALKEN spawn would use the TLS in combat. The one that appears in Ace Combat 2 as the game’s optional final boss didn’t have it, but the FALKENs that spawn in the SP Mission version of Fighter’s Honor in Assault Horizon Legacy glimpsed here, will turn their lasers on the player.

If the player can destroy every plane but the final ADF-01 in under five minutes, two additional non-TGT Named Aces will appear on opposite sides of the map: an XFA-27 named Scarface, and an ADF-01 named Z.O.E. The two planes will engage one another in combat without interference from the player and can be very easily missed (like I do in the video) by taking out the final TGT FALKEN before you even realize they are on the map. I will rectify this error and show off the spawn in the first bonus video. The Z.O.E. FALKEN also uses the TLS laser weapon, while the Scarface XFA-27 will fire off four standard missiles at a time, the same special ability as the XFA-27 from Ace Combat 2, which the XFA-27 in X can replicate with unlockable parts.

Destroying both Names Aces will unlock the Special 2 colours for each respective plane: the Scarface skin from Ace Combat 2 for the XFA-27, and the green camouflage Knight skin from Ace Combat Zero for the ADF-01. (The red and black Z.O.E. skin is the default Aurelia skin for the FALKEN.)

Beating Operation X once unlocks the ADF-01 Falken for purchase from the hangar for a cost of $140,500 credits. It also unlocks the Special 1 colours for the Apalis, Fregata, XFA-27, Cariburn, Forneus, and Wyvern. (The Special 2 skins being unlocked by getting each respective plane’s Kill Rate up to 100%.)

Ace Combat: Joint Assault (also known as Ace Combat X˛) also has an Operation X special mission as a reward for clearing the game and is basically identical to X’s version, only you also fight a Named Ace called Dandelion flying an XFA-33 Fenrir. Clearing Joint Assault’s Operation X unlocks a second SP Mission called Ace of Aces.

YR-203 Fregata
Manufacturer: Neucom Inc.
Role: Prototype Attacker
Manufactured: 2020
Primary Operators: Leasath, Aurelia
Quick Facts:
  • The second of the four Ace Combat X-proprietary planes unlocked.
  • Appears in Ace Combat X, Xi, and Joint Assault.
  • Not shown off in the base game because I never found a place for it, but will be turning up in the bonus videos
  • Unlocked by completing either Standoff in the Skies I or Standoff in the Skies II and costs $27,000 credits.
  • Features a unique quadruple engine arrangement, with each engine capable of a 45° range of vertical rotation.
  • Was initially mistaken for a next-gen spacecraft upon its debut.
  • Actually has a very low altitude ceiling and poor high-altitude capabilities.
  • Its heavy airframe and powerful engines limit its total operational flight time while under full weight.
  • Utilizes the Connection For Flight Interface (COFFIN) cockpit display system.
  • Is allegedly the prototype for the R-352 Sepia spaceplane from Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, as its name and numerical designation intentional mirror the Sepia (which was initially called the R-302 early in development).
  • Its Special 2 Colour resembles the colours of Cynthia Bridgitte Fitzgerald’s planes in the Neucom route in Electrosphere.
  • The version of the Fregata in Ace Combat Xi features a traditional glass cockpit instead of COFFIN version seen in X.
  • Named for the Magnificent frigatebird (Fregata magnificens), also known as the man o’war, a species of tropical bird known for their distinctive red breasts found in the Caribbean Sea and the coastlines of North, Central, and South America from Florida to Brazil, and along the west coast from Baja California to Ecuador and northern Peru, including the Galápagos Islands.

• Missile x60
  • NPB x19
  • LAGM x16
  • FAEB x8

quote:

A fighter with four massive engines, its characteristic design distinguishes it from all other large-body attack aircraft.

Apalis
  • Plane: XFA-24A Apalis
  • SP Mission
  • Spawn conditions: Spawns by default.

Cariburn
  • Plane: XR-45 Cariburn
  • SP Mission

Fregata
  • Plane: YR-203 Fregata
  • SP Mission

Forneus
  • Plane: YR-99 Forneus
  • SP Mission

Wyvern
  • Plane: X-02 Wyvern
  • SP Mission

Scarface
  • Plane: XFA-27 Scarface
  • SP Mission
  • Spawn conditions: Shoot down all non-TGT aircraft and 3 of the 4 TGT ADF-01s in under five minutes. Spawns to the southwest and will attack Z.O.E. if left uninterrupted.

Z.O.E.
  • Plane: ADF-01 FALKEN
  • SP Mission
  • Spawn conditions: Shoot down all non-TGT aircraft and 3 of the 4 TGT ADF-01s in under five minutes. Spawns to the northeast and will attack Scarface if left uninterrupted.

Tracks featured in SP Mission:

DISC X

Wallpaper from the defunct Project ACES Ace Combat X Japanese website featuring the cast of unique planes from Ace Combat X. Left to right: Fregata, Cariburn, Fenrir (back row), XFA-27 (front row), Apalis, Forneus.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 7, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I must have forgotten how ugly Fregata is

sorry plane, you're not great. That single tail does nothing for you.

pictured: an unrelated, but also ugly, plane:

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
There was at least one thing in the good ending that was questionable. During the riot in the stadium Navarro gets swarmed by the crowd and presumably gets beaten to death. Where did his body go? There's no way he escaped the hordes of pissed off rioters, so what happened to his body? Did somebody steal it? Was he torn apart and every body "literally" got their pound of flesh? Did he fade into the ether when his stock price crashed harder than his planes did? Personally, I hope they stuffed him into one of the demonstration planes fake engines and no one noticed.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

stryth posted:

There was at least one thing in the good ending that was questionable. During the riot in the stadium Navarro gets swarmed by the crowd and presumably gets beaten to death. Where did his body go? There's no way he escaped the hordes of pissed off rioters, so what happened to his body? Did somebody steal it? Was he torn apart and every body "literally" got their pound of flesh? Did he fade into the ether when his stock price crashed harder than his planes did? Personally, I hope they stuffed him into one of the demonstration planes fake engines and no one noticed.

It's one of those obviously edited for rating things. Ace Combat's ratings don't really permit showing Navarro's savaged corpse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Materant posted:

It's one of those obviously edited for rating things. Ace Combat's ratings don't really permit showing Navarro's savaged corpse.

Yeah, Navarro wound up somewhere on the scale of Mussolini to Ghadaffi in terms of “fallen dictator torn apart by a crowd of their enraged former subjects”, but Ace Combat X is rated T for Teen, so none of that would ever wind up on screen. But reading between the lines the implication is 100% that he was beaten to death by the crowd at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably with bits of the plane.