Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Fun fact about England: they've created almost every modern sport, but they suck at every single one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
they are pretty good at and invented 'darts'

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Grown, burly men call soccer "footie". Ignore the great soccer, football, handegg debate for now because the word footie is ridiculous. Americans don't watch golfy or wrestly, or basey or racetracky or any other cutesy name for their sports.

A Briton also wrote the cummies song

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I used to think it was like the lady's name "Gail" because it looks like it should sound similar.

cnut
May 3, 2016

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

Grown, burly men call soccer "footie". Ignore the great soccer, football, handegg debate for now because the word footie is ridiculous. Americans don't watch golfy or wrestly, or basey or racetracky or any other cutesy name for their sports.

I watch hockey.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nintendo is Ninty

Somehow Jeremy become Jezza and Gary is Gaz or Gazza

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

cnut posted:

I watch hockey.

hocker

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Supreme Allah posted:

can i bum a fag can i bum a fag can i bum a fag

No

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ka0 posted:

Legit confronted a brit about their use of the "r" sound between voiced words and he wouldn't admit to it.

"You wot now? We was watching the CoparAmericaron the telly, me mates and my ol´pal Gavin gives us a call, said Graham, Gary, Neil, Nigel, Geoff and Stephen were 'aving a go at Mary and those birds frum the pub the other nite you know...."

Captain Picard sometimes calls Mister Data "Mista Dater." Now how does that make any sense, I ask you.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
put soccer in gaol

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

umm it's 2019?

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Brits take baby-talk word shortenings and slang to new lows.

Crimbo pressies.

hearing an englishwoman say "chocky bikkie" referring to a chocolate biscuit (cookie) made me shudder with revulsion so much that I probably caused that volcanic eruption in indonesia

seriously just say it in a nottingham accent

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

vandalism posted:

Ahh kosm....

Actually in England we say Kos.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I used to think it was like the lady's name "Gail" because it looks like it should sound similar.

Lots of people in her?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

That's how British people spell jail.

Gaol.

You dumb oval office. My [REDACTED].

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'd only ever seen it written and I always thought it was pronounced with a hard "g."

Learning that it's pronounced out loud like "jail" is blowing my mind almost as hard as when I learned the "Tems" and the "Thames" were not two different rivers.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
talk about scoring an own gaol

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Lots of people in her?

Now that you mention it...

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
huh, i thought a gaoler was like a guy who had a ferryboat or something. you learn something new every day, thank you OP for expanding my horizons!

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
I thought gaol was jail for gay whales?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I watched a couple australian (which i'm lumping in with the british) prison movies today and it just seemed bizarre. There were people calling people who clearly weren't black black, they were getting like 5 year sentences for murder, and had the dumbest haircuts i've ever seen.

so whats the deal with that.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
here in the commonwealth we don't like to punish criminals, they cost too much to house and feed so it's easier and simpler to just give murderers and rapists like 2 year sentences and then let them free to commit more crime. this is often under the guise of 'rehabilitation'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There was a gaol for sell near me, it had. 5 bedroom main house and 3 1 bedroom flats, including actual dungeons. Would've been £400K so the income from three rented flats alone would cover the mortgage but I couldn't convince the wife to go for it...