Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am going to try something here...and we will find out how it works out.

What I want to do is have a short film watching club. People will post a short youtube video, which, in keeping with BYOB ethos, will be entertaining and amusing, but still quality. (Like with a real script and actors and production values, not "stoned person pointing camera at shopping cart in Safeway parking lot"). People will then comment on it, discuss it, free associate, and have fun. Then, someone else will select the next video, and we can comment on that. Imagine we are all in a comfy den watching this stuff on a big screen TV and hanging out! That is the idea.

The part that might be hard is to focus on one thing at a time, and select something we are all interested in. Which is why I want to discourage, in the chillest way possible, everyone randomly posting aforementioned "stoned person pointing camera at shopping cart in Safeway parking lot" videos.

So, this may sink or swim, but I will at least try it...first video to come soon. Just write whatever you want about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
Our first video, which was nominated for an Oscar in 2009, is Oktopadi, an animated short film about...life and love and struggle! Tell me what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badHUNl2HXU

lol but

body is a dinosaur

glowing-fish posted:

Our first video, which was nominated for an Oscar in 2009, is Oktopadi, an animated short film about...life and love and struggle! Tell me what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badHUNl2HXU

-the octopusses are in love :3. one gets snatched... THEY ARE FOR THE POT!
-octopus A saves their octolover. they are are recaptured but quickly escape for a second time
-the octocouplet hang out on a pair of clotheslines, basking in their new found freedom
-now octopus A is in jeopardy. octopus b prepares to use their own body as a slingshot and quite literally "launch" a rescue attempt
-fin

i got belleville rendez-vous (aka the triplets of belleville) vibes from this despite the animation style being completely different. it is probably that they are both french/the music. the story was economically told and the octopusses in love scene was very sweet

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

lol but seriously I posted:

the story was economically told and the octopusses in love scene was very sweet

The fact that it is really short is why I started off with it...impossible to get confused by the plot!

I think that this film managed to avoid the "uncanny valley" by having non-humans. Facial expressions in CGI work a lot better when they aren't trying to be human. It is also interesting to see how far CGI came...10 years ago, I think this was cutting edge CGI for the budget it had, and now, while it looks good, it doesn't look especially technically good.

I haven't watched this for about five years, and the last time I watched it, I was high...

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
The music reminds me of the Professor Layton games.

It was short but sweet. I give it 6 out of 10 milk apes :discourse:

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

opioid agonist posted:

The music reminds me of the Professor Layton games.

It was short but sweet. I give it 6 out of 10 milk apes :discourse:

Did you watch it while high? That might garner it up to 8 out of 10 milk apes. I don't know what milk apes are.

Areola Grande

yes lol. high as hell my friend

milk ape is this

It's from an old byob thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705591&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I didn't intend to derail!

City of Glompton

that was really sweet :love:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Areola Grande

how are you choosing the next short film op

:allears:

Goons Are Gifts

opioid agonist posted:

yes lol. high as hell my friend

milk ape is this

It's from an old byob thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705591&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I didn't intend to derail!

:five: :five: :five:

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

opioid agonist posted:

how are you choosing the next short film op

:allears:

I was going to do google searches for short movies that won awards, or were well-regarded.

If someone else wants to pick a movie, they can ask to post next.

Areola Grande

me pls

also are there any rules about famous directors? are you looking for indie only stuff or??

Robot Made of Meat

Why Man Creates is an award winning short directed by Saul Bass.

I nominate it as being something everyone should watch. It's also very BYOB.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

opioid agonist posted:

me pls

also are there any rules about famous directors? are you looking for indie only stuff or??

Oh, no, we are still staying BYOB here. If its someone's funny college project, animated or live action, that is acceptable.

This is just the type of stuff I want to avoid, only now I am kind of appreciating it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grTc4vEPO_g

I also just want us to go slow enough to have a chance to watch, and discuss. The Octopod video was just our opener, it was pretty short, and we have probably discussed it enough, so if Opioid Agonist wants to go next, then yes, you can go! :)

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Also this. I started watching it. It does seem kind of long. I can handle over 20 minutes, though.

Areola Grande

I know wes anderson is a sometimes polarizing topic as directors go but this is my favorite of his short films and I just think the music and casting is outstanding. I always look for films that transport the viewer and this one does just that in under 14 minutes imo. so without further delay I present Hotel Chevalier :eng101:

https://youtu.be/cv1Td0f2aG4

lol but

body is a dinosaur

glowing-fish posted:

Oh, no, we are still staying BYOB here. If its someone's funny college project, animated or live action, that is acceptable.

This is just the type of stuff I want to avoid, only now I am kind of appreciating it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grTc4vEPO_g

I also just want us to go slow enough to have a chance to watch, and discuss. The Octopod video was just our opener, it was pretty short, and we have probably discussed it enough, so if Opioid Agonist wants to go next, then yes, you can go! :)

wait are we saying this video is bad because i kind of feel it achieved 90% of what stranger things was trying to do in about 30 seconds and at a significantly lower budget?

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

opioid agonist posted:

I know wes anderson is a sometimes polarizing topic as directors go but this is my favorite of his short films and I just think the music and casting is outstanding. I always look for films that transport the viewer and this one does just that in under 14 minutes imo. so without further delay I present Hotel Chevalier :eng101:

https://youtu.be/cv1Td0f2aG4

Yesssss!!! This is exactly what I want to see.

This actually goes back to my film, Octopadi, because...uh, we are in the Mediterranean, and dealing with a relationship.
But more importantly, Octopadi showcases conflict in the most succinct way possible. A story needs conflict, and there the conflict is introduced in obvious stories.

This short film also has conflict, there is some type of conflict that has led to some type of ambiguous or uncomfortable situation. But here, while we know that there is conflict, we are not aware of what caused it, or what its resolution could be. Which leaves us with a feeling of tension and eerieness, I feel.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

lol but seriously I posted:

wait are we saying this video is bad because i kind of feel it achieved 90% of what stranger things was trying to do in about 30 seconds and at a significantly lower budget?

Upon reflection, every time I watch that video, I like it more, and I feel that the Duffer Bros. should sit down and watch it repeatedly before making Stranger Things Season 3.

But it was more a cautionary note that this is full of Effort Posts about Series Films, and not just YouTube absurdism.

Areola Grande

What's next already :jerky:

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

opioid agonist posted:

What's next already :jerky:

We must savor our short films until everyone has a chance to comment.

I also learned that the Hotel Chevalier is a prequel of sorts to the Darjeeling Limited, meaning the ambiguous situation has some external answer? But using Death of the Author theory, we can view it as a contained story. I will prefer to do that, and I can come up with some theory like they are in limbo.

Areola Grande

glowing-fish posted:

We must savor our short films until everyone has a chance to comment.

I also learned that the Hotel Chevalier is a prequel of sorts to the Darjeeling Limited, meaning the ambiguous situation has some external answer? But using Death of the Author theory, we can view it as a contained story. I will prefer to do that, and I can come up with some theory like they are in limbo.

Holy poo poo. Now I'm watching that movie again for context

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

You should post it! We are due for our next movie in VWaEPC!

I saw this movie on YouTube, but I don't know if it is the version that you specifically want.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVZ8AH4yKc

I think this was the requested video? Let me know if this is the correct version, etc.

Robot Made of Meat

glowing-fish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVZ8AH4yKc

I think this was the requested video? Let me know if this is the correct version, etc.

That is indeed it. I saw it many years ago when I was young, and I only saw it again relatively recently. Some parts are a bit dated, but it's still brilliant.

Areola Grande

That is indeed it. I saw it many years ago when I was young, and I only saw it again relatively recently. Some parts are a bit dated, but it's still brilliant.

I'll watch yours if you watch mine

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Yes, I liked it, but parts of it, both in style and substance, seemed very sixties.

I did learn who Saul Bass was, like apparently he invented the idea of movie titles and credits sequences being part of the art of the movie, and not just names on a screen. "Why Man Creates" was the only movie he ever made.

Robot Made of Meat

glowing-fish posted:

Yes, I liked it, but parts of it, both in style and substance, seemed very sixties.

I did learn who Saul Bass was, like apparently he invented the idea of movie titles and credits sequences being part of the art of the movie, and not just names on a screen. "Why Man Creates" was the only movie he ever made.

Hey! I like it BECAUSE parts of it seem (and are) very sixties.

But yeah, Saul Bass did some amazing credits. He also created the AT&T 'Deathstar'.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
This next film was an Oscar nominee in 2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbcLWGoP1I4

I want to refrain from commenting until people have had a chance to watch it.

xcheopis

It is, for the most part, a beautiful film. It does look very video-gamey in parts. The ending is interesting and I have no idea how to interpret it.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

xcheopis posted:

It is, for the most part, a beautiful film. It does look very video-gamey in parts. The ending is interesting and I have no idea how to interpret it.

I thought the same thing about the style. In 2002, this incredibly technically and artistically advanced CGI, enough to be nominated for an Academy. In 2019? This looks like fairly good CGI, this might be a Final Fantasy cut scene. It also kind of gives evidence to the debate about video games as art: if we put this against a good video game cut scene, would those be considered art at that level too?

As far as the substance...I am a little less sure on that. Was it just meant to look awesome? What is the message? I don't know. Maybe someone else will have a theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis

It's based on a short story, so I might try to find an English translation to see if that helps.

My initial reaction to the "pillars" was, "Oh, are there going to be vampires?" and the reaction all around to the sun didn't completely dispel that first impression.

Sorry for being a bit vague, I don't want to spoil for anyone who hasn't yet watched it. Also, phone-posting is hard on my hands, sorry.