Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
The other day, I heard a grinding sound from one of my hard drives. I ran crystal disk info, and it seemed one of them had a bad sector. I immediately backed up what I could, and then tossed away the bad hard drive.

Now, when I right click > properties to view the file size of the contents I backed up, I am getting a false reading. What should be about 500 gigs (movies, music, pictures) is reading as 11 terabytes. Also, when I try to delete some large folders on different hard drives, I am stuck on the "preparing to recycle" icon and after that is done, the recycling itself takes an equal amount of time to delete the contents. I don't know if other are hard drives are preparing to die, or if there is a bug in windows 10 (file explorer, corrupted recycle bin). It also seems that these actions are occurring on only 1 hard drive, and not my other HD or SSD. But, crystal disk info shows the disk in good condition.

In short, my PC is giving exaggerated folder sizes, and deleting files is a long process for some reason.

So far, the attempts to resolve the issue after googling. Restated system, shift+delete to skip the recycle bin (it still takes a long time), ran CMD /VERIFYONLY to view any bad system files, found nothing. Went to device manager and made sure all system components are up to date.

I'm running windows 10 on a home pc I made myself. Cpu = i5 6660k, mobo asus z1za and a samsung SSD as my main hard drive.

Eagleland.

I'm just curious if these sound like common windows bugs, or should I be prepared to throw away another hard drive. At this point, I'm simply buying all SSDs from now on because Ive had too many hard drives fail on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Now, when I right click > properties to view the file size of the contents I backed up, I am getting a false reading. What should be about 500 gigs (movies, music, pictures) is reading as 11 terabytes.

That's odd.

I'd run SpaceMonger and see if those 500GB of files show up as 500GB or as 11TB:
https://spacemonger.en.softonic.com/

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Thanks man, that's a pretty good app, but unfortunately it didn't detect anything unsual in terms of "other" items that would taking up space. It did show the appropriate sizes of my music and movies on my hard drive, and after using that, I'm suspecting that this may be some issue regarding windows explorer (or some file reading application built into windows). I've done hard resets on it through the task manager, but I am still getting issues on deleting large folders (such as a lengthy preparing to recycle progress bar) and eventually windows taking its time deleting said folders. The folders do get deleted, but it shouldn't take 10 minutes you know?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Thanks man, that's a pretty good app, but unfortunately it didn't detect anything unsual in terms of "other" items that would taking up space. It did show the appropriate sizes of my music and movies on my hard drive, and after using that, I'm suspecting that this may be some issue regarding windows explorer (or some file reading application built into windows). I've done hard resets on it through the task manager, but I am still getting issues on deleting large folders (such as a lengthy preparing to recycle progress bar) and eventually windows taking its time deleting said folders. The folders do get deleted, but it shouldn't take 10 minutes you know?

Definitely run a checkdisk on the drive/drives in case there's something messed up with the filesystem. If it's your boot disk windows will want to reboot and do it in DOS mode. Just right click the disk, go to properties, tools tab, error checking. Those files from the drive that was dying may have had some corruption as they were being copied.