Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Terry Funk took on a baby Eddy Guerrero in 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzu756A62hM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Saturn vs Goldberg - Spring Stampede 1998
Saturn wants to end Goldberg's streak. Saturn has two losses to Goldberg already and is deliberately targeting Goldberg. Saturn drags the match out longer than Goldberg has ever wrestled. If anybody can beat Goldberg at this early stage in his career, it's Saturn. Saturn locks in his submission finisher but Goldberg powers out of it and counters it into a jackhammer and wins. The next night Goldberg wrestles Raven for the US title and begins his Disc Two.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

saturn was one of my fave midcard guys there for a long time. him, kanyon, la parka, and ultimo dragon when he'd come in were some of my favorite overlooked guys from that era

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels
Casket Match, Royal Rumble 1998

Often overlooked because of the Hell in a Cell. Goddamn are the crowd hot for this one. The pop when Kane arrives to save Undertaker from the dirty heels is something else. HBK and Undertaker have just the best chemistry and this match is arguably better than their encounter in the cell. HBK wins by tomfoolery just like he did in the cell but this is a different kind of victory.

Crash Holly vs Molly Holly
A rare intergender match from Raw in 2001. Crash is pissed off his cousin Molly is in a relationship with Spike Dudley. The male on female moves are uncomfortable to watch but kept to a minimum as Crash is seconded by Jacqueline who gives us the swerve finish. Not amazing and less than five minutes long but good none the less.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Chris Harris vs. James Storm - Texas Deathmatch
TNA Sacrifice 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBFM8xj79jI

An incredible bloody brawl that made me think Harris could be a big star. Even though it's brilliant, nobody remembers, let alone talks about this match because it came one month after the blindfold cage match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Edward Mass posted:

Chris Harris vs. James Storm - Texas Deathmatch
TNA Sacrifice 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBFM8xj79jI

An incredible bloody brawl that made me think Harris could be a big star. Even though it's brilliant, nobody remembers, let alone talks about this match because it came one month after the blindfold cage match.
HARD disagree on this being a forgotten match, this is one of the best TNA matches of all time and just an all-timer blood feud ending match. These guys worked their asses off to get the stinker of their blindfold match out at Lockdown and I think it's one of my favorite feud-ending matches ever.

Then Chris Harris signed with WWE and got fat.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

The gimmick for that episode was a beat the clock challenge for a title shot or something so that's the reason for most of the matches being so short. I think Batista actually pitched having Bryan beat him in that match. Or at least he's claimed that in an interview.

Anyway, here's my contribution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie9KH0QYLWI

It's just a dumb Superstars match between Zack Ryder (still a heel) and Santino but I find myself watching it like two or three times a year because it's just a straight up indy comedy match in WWE with the announcers and ref (Nunzio I think?) completely playing it up and I love it.

I got a huge kick out of this, thanks for posting it.

My match would be the WeeLC match between El Torito and Hornswoggle. It was set up as a total joke, and then those two tore the roof off the building with what might have been the best match of the entire show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3di3UU6ICtc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

James Storm busted his rear end for TNA for a long drat time and was genuinely great at big blowoff blood feud matches.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just watched this for the first time: Starrcade 2000's Shane Helms & Shannon Moore vs Kaz Hayashi & Yun Yang vs Evan Karagias & Jamie Knoble in a triangle ladder match for a shot against Chavo Guerrero Jr. for the Cruiserweight Championship the next night on Nitro.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16olxu

This is a bunch of high spots, as you would imagine, and helped build to future TLC clusterfucks. In true WCW fashion, they tried to ruin it by pushing the story of how would tag teams handle competing for a title shot at a singles belt that only one of them would get, and then the (heel?) 3 Count team throws all of that away by winning as a unit. But it's got really amazing high flying work by everyone involved, and it feels like practically every single one of these guys deserved to be a bigger star than they ended up being.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

I just watched this for the first time: Starrcade 2000's Shane Helms & Shannon Moore vs Kaz Hayashi & Yun Yang vs Evan Karagias & Jamie Knoble in a triangle ladder match for a shot against Chavo Guerrero Jr. for the Cruiserweight Championship the next night on Nitro.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16olxu

This is a bunch of high spots, as you would imagine, and helped build to future TLC clusterfucks. In true WCW fashion, they tried to ruin it by pushing the story of how would tag teams handle competing for a title shot at a singles belt that only one of them would get, and then the (heel?) 3 Count team throws all of that away by winning as a unit. But it's got really amazing high flying work by everyone involved, and it feels like practically every single one of these guys deserved to be a bigger star than they ended up being.

When they started giving Helms the big bombastic entrance as a solo guy I thought he'd be a top guy one day

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

When they started giving Helms the big bombastic entrance as a solo guy I thought he'd be a top guy one day

In WWE, after he turned heel from being Hurricane?

I remember that and it felt like he could be something, and then within a month he jobbed to Jerry Lawler and they were done with him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

In WWE, after he turned heel from being Hurricane?

I remember that and it felt like he could be something, and then within a month he jobbed to Jerry Lawler and they were done with him.

No, he was Sugar Shane in WCW , and for a short while in the last year or so, he had a really big entrance with dancers and smoke

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Whz_VoCS858

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 16, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Ah. I'd given up on wrestling a couple years before that because of how bad WCW had gotten. I came back a few months before the WWE Helms turn, which just didn't work out.

I've found another one today: The Body Donnas (Rad Radford, Skip, The 1-2-3 Kid & Tom Prichard) (w/Sunny & Ted DiBiase) vs. The Underdogs (Barry Horowitz, Bob Holly, Hakushi & Marty Jannetty) at Survivor Series 1995

This is a lot of fun, with Hakushi, Jannetty, Kid, and Skip all getting to show off some in particular. Jannetty does a top rope power bomb on Skip that was really impressive.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Samson Fuyuki & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs. Shinichi Nakano & Toshiaki Kawada - All Japan Pro Wrestling, May 26, 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4k_VugNbUs

This is a really good but not great All Japan match most notable for Kawada just being the grumpiest motherfucker to ever walk the planet. There's a burst in the first thirty seconds or so where Kawada looks like he's just outright trying to murder Kikuchi. Also, Samson Fuyuki has beautiful hair.

JCW
Oct 22, 2008
Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels - Raw 12/29/03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8naPbnGJOEE

Absolutely love this match. I watched it for the first time in years the other day and it brought back so many good memories. Being a 12 year old seeing a main event starting on Raw with 35 minutes left in the show was about as excited as I could get at the time. Just a great, super hot, old school southern feel of a match. Flair is great here and wow does the hometown crowd want to see Shawn win. My 2nd favorite match between these two only behind the comeback at Summer Slam.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jeff Hardy vs Umaga, Great American Bash 2007

Strong challenger can FINALLY do it vs Walter vibes in this match. Absolutely amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Shingo Takagi vs Masaaki Mochizuki - Dragon Gate 11/1/15 - Gate of Destiny

I don't think this counts as underrated because there was a lot of good buzz for it at the time, but it definitely qualifies as unexpected. Gate of Destiny that year was sort of an interim PPV between bigger events, and Mochi wasn't a serious title contender at the time; mid-40s, hadn't been in the title scene for a long time, had been floating around loose stable affiliations and tagging on and off with Don Fujii, and had joined face stable Dia.HEARTS in sort of a backseat veteran role. Shingo had won the title a few months prior and this was his 2nd defense, and he'd just formed top heel stable VerserK as its leader, so he was just starting a monster heel run. So everyone assumed this would be pretty good, but not especially a barn-burner and sort of a pit-stop for Takagi. Then the match starts, and Mochi just charges straight across the ring with a kick to the face, and doesn't let up for a 25 minute war. It might be the best "you still got it" match I've ever seen.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Tag Team Turmoil match, WWF Judgement Day 2001.

I was hooked on this match from the beginning. This match only went 25 mins but it felt like an epic. Fantastic work from all 7 teams. Cannot believe I hadn't seen this match before tonight.

E: 3 out of 4 wrestlers in the final fall are still active today!

Kosmo Gallion fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SG Bamboo posted:

I'm sure I've recommended it before, but Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba from Wrestle Kingdom 7 was an incredible match that unfortunately got overshadowed by an even greater main event (Tanahashi vs Okada 3) directly afterwards. It has a great story behind it, both real and kayfabe, and doesn't overstay it's welcome, only running about 15 minutes. It's a great reminder how good Nakamura can be, dragging a broken down Sakuraba through his first singles match in over a decade. I love it so much.

That was the first Nakamura match I ever watched and I fell in love with the guy instantly.