Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, that's someone else

LastInLine posted:

i apologize if i implied anything else

you didn't, that was for OP's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So wait, where were y'all geniuses to say something better informed that day you were quoting me

Oh, just leave my unqualified rear end hanging by myself there to desperately spitball some unqualified alternative ideas besides him potentially flipping the lights off on SA

Where were any other voices demanding a little redundancy to protect the place that we all use, even if all I personally was capable of picturing was some kind of super minimalistic fallback emergency version of the forum kept up alongside it

There I was, armed with only one piece of knowledge, that even the shittiest beginner glitch.io project is powerful enough to theoretically do some important parts of a job that's text only.

Yeah you know better than that, laugh it up but where were you

you have been here long enough to know better

pram
Jun 10, 2001
*10000th goon offering to write custom forum saunters up to lowtax* as a computer science graduate student,

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, but look, this will be a stripped down text only version of the forums, far simpler than the current setup, with all these fancy features like embedded images

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pram posted:

*10000th goon offering to write custom forum saunters up to lowtax* as a computer science graduate student,

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Infernal Machines, DONT THREAD ON ME, I see you two every single day in CSPAM. If I was embarrassing myself right then why did you keep running into me every day like all was well. While I'm the big joke in here. What kind of human beings do that? Programmers I guess.

And what, regdates of all things? You still ascribe meaning to regdates on SA? Guess you think all those 2019 signups are brand new people.

Hearing that I was oblivious to all critical responses that day comes off as a little suspect, coming from folks who were themselves oblivious that the reply button exists.

For however oblivious I was, at least I was present in there, left alone, untrained, uncorrected, but still acknowledging each hole poked in my idea with new thoughts while nobody helped me. Meanwhile I see you've grabbed only my words out of context, you left out those other detailed answers putting me in my place that I totally got back and ignored.

I'm not even convinced that you in particular do know any better. If so you could have used it as an opportunity to educate or say anything technical at all. Be useful. Look at you, staying in here throwing tomatoes where you know I wouldn't see. When you say in a public space things you wouldn't say directly, everyone but programmers would expect awkwardness at some eventual date it gets found. I was excited that this would be a good thread. Not expecting to feel like poo poo.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Infernal Machines, DONT THREAD ON ME, I see you two every single day in CSPAM. If I was embarrassing myself right then why did you keep running into me every day like all was well. While I'm the big joke in here. What kind of human beings do that? Programmers I guess.

And what, regdates of all things? You still ascribe meaning to regdates on SA? Guess you think all those 2019 signups are brand new people.

Hearing that I was oblivious to all critical responses that day comes off as a little suspect, coming from folks who were themselves oblivious that the reply button exists.

For however oblivious I was, at least I was present in there, left alone, untrained, uncorrected, but still acknowledging each hole poked in my idea with new thoughts while nobody helped me. Meanwhile I see you've grabbed only my words out of context, you left out those other detailed answers putting me in my place that I totally got back and ignored.

I'm not even convinced that you in particular do know any better. If so you could have used it as an opportunity to educate or say anything technical at all. Be useful. Look at you, staying in here throwing tomatoes where you know I wouldn't see. When you say in a public space things you wouldn't say directly, everyone but programmers would expect awkwardness at some eventual date it gets found. I was excited that this would be a good thread. Not expecting to feel like poo poo.

goldmine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

i'm sorry my dude. however, i will point out that it's the SA forums and this poo poo happens everywhere and we are constantly mocking other threads with or without attribution, you weren't being unfairly targeted or bullied. also, the thread your posts were pulled from was full of well meaning posters trying gently to tell you how/why what you suggested wasn't going to work. i read it, there was a lot of that and they were being very friendly and patient about it for the most part. you didn't need us to join the chorus.

i'm not going to PM you to hold your hand or explain why you're posting something mockable in an unrelated thread in c-spam. that's not anyone's job.

to the extent that we in particular know better, it's very specifically that we know how this sort of project plays out. every single time. for reasons that have been explained repeatedly.

no one capable of writing functional forums software from scratch, or managing a project of that scope, is going to do so for free. no matter how many well meaning people you get together who are incapable of doing it, it will not result in a functional product. the fact that you didn't get that despite repeatedly being told is why people weren't taking you seriously.

i hope this has helped. please enjoy your stay in the pos

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
At least I didn't fire up a new GitHub after that and actually try it, so that's something. I heard them loud and clear

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dumb Lowtax posted:

i didn't think this thread was gonna get better but here we fuckin are folks

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:five:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

pram posted:

goldmine

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

AI posts like this should be contained in their own subforum for chatbots

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

in the new forum, each poster will have a sticky post associated with them that will be linked under their avatar, but only other members can vote for it. Dumb Lowtax's post is gonna be that one

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So wait, where were y'all geniuses to say something better informed that day you were quoting me

Oh, just leave my unqualified rear end hanging by myself there to desperately spitball some unqualified alternative ideas besides him potentially flipping the lights off on SA

Where were any other voices demanding a little redundancy to protect the place that we all use, even if all I personally was capable of picturing was some kind of super minimalistic fallback emergency version of the forum kept up alongside it

There I was, armed with only one piece of knowledge, that even the shittiest beginner glitch.io project is powerful enough to theoretically do some important parts of a job that's text only.

Yeah you know better than that, laugh it up but where were you

Dumb Lowtax posted:

:patriot:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

infernal machines posted:

i'm sorry my dude. however, i will point out that it's the SA forums and this poo poo happens everywhere and we are constantly mocking other threads with or without attribution, you weren't being unfairly targeted or bullied. also, the thread your posts were pulled from was full of well meaning posters trying gently to tell you how/why what you suggested wasn't going to work. i read it, there was a lot of that and they were being very friendly and patient about it for the most part. you didn't need us to join the chorus.

i'm not going to PM you to hold your hand or explain why you're posting something mockable in an unrelated thread in c-spam. that's not anyone's job.

to the extent that we in particular know better, it's very specifically that we know how this sort of project plays out. every single time. for reasons that have been explained repeatedly.

no one capable of writing functional forums software from scratch, or managing a project of that scope, is going to do so for free. no matter how many well meaning people you get together who are incapable of doing it, it will not result in a functional product. the fact that you didn't get that despite repeatedly being told is why people weren't taking you seriously.

i hope this has helped. please enjoy your stay in the pos

what an absolute marvel of a kind, gentle post.

tl;dr version: u posted cringe m8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf this is an :rodtronics: thread it’s meant to be about inappropriate debauchery and embarrassing oversharing

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

wtf this is an :rodtronics: thread it’s meant to be about inappropriate debauchery and embarrassing oversharing

i mean you're getting the latter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well where's the fuckin debauching

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
what the gently caress is cspam

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rotor posted:

what the gently caress is cspam

a d&d fyadlite that refuses to calm down

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

this is still my go-to solution btw

rotor posted:

posts will be stored in a database. registered users will be able to read and create posts using the Oracle SQL Developer app, available free of charge here: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/sql-developer.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

a d&d fyadlite

ew gross fyadites are always so bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

ew gross fyadites are always so bad

they have not yet resulted in any secret service visits, so they persist

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 7, 2019

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am posting in a echi thread that is about something

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

that is about something

are u sure

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

all threads are about something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the seinfield of threads

not in a funny way either

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Bloody posted:

all threads are about something

what if I make a thread about null, huh. what then

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it should always have been nil really

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

no matter how many well meaning people you get together who are incapable of doing it, it will not result in a functional product. the fact that you didn't get that despite repeatedly being told is why people weren't taking you seriously.

the road to the forums are paved with good intentions.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Soricidus posted:

what if I make a thread about null, huh. what then

why's it null? could have been about undefined, if you ask me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
when is the new forum

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it turns out the new forum was the friends we made along the way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i paid ten dollars to feel like I have friends

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

on the internet everyone's your mate

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

echinopsis posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004