Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This is Alex.

He is adorable and sweet and dumb as hell.

He also has diabetes, because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Every morning and night I check his blood sugar (which is always too goddamn high) by giving him a quick ear stab with a tiny needle then harvesting his blood. Then I feed him and give him an injection of insulin.

Sometimes I check his urine for ketones so I catch a little bit of his pee in a cup then dip a stick into it, much like a pregnancy test, to see if he's getting sick.

I wanted to make this thread because when I found out he was diabetic I freaked the hell out, and honestly I'm still kinda freaking out, but I thought oh my god, he's going to die immediately. He is not, though, and it's totally manageable if not very stressful.

I also just wanted to show off that he is good, dumb, idiot cat.

Luckily Simon keeps him in line.

Simon doesn't have diabetes, but has become a Fat Cat in his old age. I would like him to be less fat, so I am working on that. Also, he is getting some dental work done soon so I am hoping that works out.

They are good cats and I love them very much.

I also have consumed basically every resource about diabetes in cats, so if you have non-vet questions I can answer those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This question is not related, but I've been curious:

Do cats wag their tail and greet you at the door when you come home? How do they acknowledge your presence?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How does diabetes develop in a cat, anyway? I thought they didn’t like sugar.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love them both

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pollyanna posted:

How does diabetes develop in a cat, anyway? I thought they didn’t like sugar.

Dry cat food with too much grain or starch in it. I had two cats who had the same diet of dry food and let them graze and we didn’t really think about. One started as a skinny little kitty that had been sick, and got overweight while the other, a female, stayed at a more normal weight. He developed diabetes at about 13.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:gonk: I’m gonna guess science diet is one of those lovely foods? Mine won’t eat anything else, except the last one I tried worked but made him super dandruffy and gave him weird rashes n poo poo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don’t really know but I think you’ll be fine. I boarded my little diabetebuddy at a veterinary facility once while I was on vacation, and I think they fed him that. They make grain-free dry cat food, so just keep the carbs to a minimum. My cats were on Iams for most of their lives before I had to start monitoring their diet, and I switched to Natural Balanced.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Do you mean Hills Science Diet? That's actually one of the go-to recommendations at the clinic I work at, as evidently they really do use a lot of research and quality control while developing their products.