Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Oscar Wild posted:

I forgot my login to my wife subscription so I canceled my credit card and let the subscription lease lapse and now I dont have a wife.

lol didn't buy insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
According to these Gentile friends of ours, Brigham Young's harem contains twenty or thirty wives. They said that some of them had grown old and gone out of active service, but were comfortably housed and cared for in the henery--or the Lion House, as it is strangely named. Along with each wife were her children--fifty altogether. The house was perfectly quiet and orderly, when the children were still. They all took their meals in one room, and a happy and home-like sight it was pronounced to be. None of our party got an opportunity to take dinner with Mr. Young, but a Gentile by the name of Johnson professed to have enjoyed a sociable breakfast in the Lion House. He gave a preposterous account of the "calling of the roll," and other preliminaries, and the carnage that ensued when the buckwheat cakes came in. But he embellished rather too much. He said that Mr. Young told him several smart sayings of certain of his "two-year-olds," observing with some pride that for many years he had been the heaviest contributor in that line to one of the Eastern magazines; and then he wanted to show Mr. Johnson one of the pets that had said the last good thing, but he could not find the child.

He searched the faces of the children in detail, but could not decide which one it was. Finally he gave it up with a sigh and said:

"I thought I would know the little cub again but I don't." Mr. Johnson said further, that Mr. Young observed that life was a sad, sad thing-- "because the joy of every new marriage a man contracted was so apt to be blighted by the inopportune funeral of a less recent bride." And Mr. Johnson said that while he and Mr. Young were pleasantly conversing in private, one of the Mrs. Youngs came in and demanded a breast-pin, remarking that she had found out that he had been giving a breast-pin to No. 6, and she, for one, did not propose to let this partiality go on without making a satisfactory amount of trouble about it. Mr. Young reminded her that there was a stranger present. Mrs. Young said that if the state of things inside the house was not agreeable to the stranger, he could find room outside. Mr. Young promised the breast-pin, and she went away. But in a minute or two another Mrs. Young came in and demanded a breast-pin. Mr. Young began a remonstrance, but Mrs. Young cut him short. She said No. 6 had got one, and No. 11 was promised one, and it was "no use for him to try to impose on her--she hoped she knew her rights." He gave his promise, and she went. And presently three Mrs. Youngs entered in a body and opened on their husband a tempest of tears, abuse, and entreaty. They had heard all about No. 6, No. 11, and No. 14. Three more breast-pins were promised. They were hardly gone when nine more Mrs. Youngs filed into the presence, and a new tempest burst forth and raged round about the prophet and his guest. Nine breast-pins were promised, and the weird sisters filed out again. And in came eleven more, weeping and wailing and gnashing their teeth. Eleven promised breast-pins purchased peace once more.

naem
May 29, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Cant speak to polygamy which seems kinda deeply problematic as it typically manifests but lol if you think this poo poo about poly people

Its real easy to develop strong like intense loving bonds with multiple people but if you're conditioned to be possessive and jealous of the act of sex, you wouldn't know or believe it i guess

I think that monogamy for some people is the absolutely necessary ingredient for a real and meaningful expression of love and happiness and connection to another human being and to them nothing else seems real or natural or could satisfy and they cant imagine anything else, not least because monogamy is REALLY HARD lol

and for other people, something other than monogamy is for them their ultimate expression of connection to other people, and that is equally valid and meaningful FOR THEM

but for some reason both sides of that debate at least online feel the need to attack and debase the other side, and as a monogamous heterosexual guy i’m guilty of that at times certainly as much as i’d like to be a nice person

I wish we could all just tell jokes and enjoy each other’s company online, here in the hell dimension timeline

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

naem posted:

I think that monogamy for some people is the absolutely necessary ingredient for a real and meaningful expression of love and happiness and connection to another human being and to them nothing else seems real or natural or could satisfy and they cant imagine anything else, not least because monogamy is REALLY HARD lol

and for other people, something other than monogamy is for them their ultimate expression of connection to other people, and that is equally valid and meaningful FOR THEM

but for some reason both sides of that debate at least online feel the need to attack and debase the other side, and as a monogamous heterosexual guy i’m guilty of that at times certainly as much as i’d like to be a nice person

I wish we could all just tell jokes and enjoy each other’s company online, here in the hell dimension timeline

That's probably because I've never seen or heard of a real life poly situation that isn't a trainwreck. People get really loving stupid when sex is involved and adding more people into the equation doesn't help things.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

basic hitler posted:

Cant speak to polygamy which seems kinda deeply problematic as it typically manifests but lol if you think this poo poo about poly people

Its real easy to develop strong like intense loving bonds with multiple people but if you're conditioned to be possessive and jealous of the act of sex, you wouldn't know or believe it i guess

i've found that poly people are hideously self-unaware, which i assume is a core ingredient in thinking that you can maintain "intense loving bonds" with multiple people without perceived romantic rifts forming due to discrepancy in relative interest among specific partners. I am speaking from my interactions with eight poly people who all have this problem, or variants of it- they have terrible social awareness, they're selfish and there is always the most retarded and completely avoidable drama.

like i'm sure there are some poly groups that work, but to say "Its real easy to develop strong like intense loving bonds" in parallel with symmetric manifestation is so rare and subject to variance that it's naive to believe that kind of statement holds any worth in the discussion of polyamory. If a pair develops a more intimate relationship sooner than others, satellite members feel alienated and as though the terms of the polyamorous relationship have been violated. Further, such a pair, though perfectly reasonable and fine in a vacuum, often becomes a point of contention within the larger relationship and ultimately manifests in the form of shame, exclusion, reclusion and outright persecution.

this is from my experience, anyway.

Edit: and to say that a preference for monogamy - or an aversion to polyamory/polygamy - is built on a proprietor mentality is loving absurd and you should feel stupid for saying it.

unpleasantly turgid fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 19, 2019

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

My friend was in a poly relationship, bought a house with his two girlfriends, and now he's single. Poly destroyed that man but in defense of poly he was a mess before that.

I think poly can work in theory but the practitioners tend to be people who can barely handle themselves let alone 2+ partners. Of course this is also true of monogamous relationships for many people. In conclusion, relationships are a land of contrasts, and you should do what makes you happy.

But I'm gonna keep laughing at poly stories because smug white people telling me about how enlightened they are right before their social lives implode to poo poo is extremely my jam

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zelder posted:

But I'm gonna keep laughing at poly stories because smug white people telling me about how enlightened they are right before their social lives implode to poo poo is extremely my jam

Isn't there like a whole reddit dedicated to this?

Still chuckling at the dude who had to build his wife's boyfriend cuckshack.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM0I562rZx0

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I've been in an open marriage for like six years or something and it's pretty great. We don't really identify with any particular social group and we don't goto swinger meetings or whatever the gently caress, we're just ultra secure in our relationship so if we end up meeting someone cool then it's a-okay. It's great not having to worry about drama or freakouts because some rando text message my wife finds or if some dude gets her number and they go out for drinks it's no biggie.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

g0lbez posted:

I've been in an open marriage for like six years or something and it's pretty great. We don't really identify with any particular social group and we don't goto swinger meetings or whatever the gently caress, we're just ultra secure in our relationship so if we end up meeting someone cool then it's a-okay. It's great not having to worry about drama or freakouts because some rando text message my wife finds or if some dude gets her number and they go out for drinks it's no biggie.

Would you say that the amount of partners that you both have is equal?

Who originally proposed the open relationship?

Was there a rocky start to your open marriage, or was it pretty smooth from the get go?

Does it affect your friend groups? Do your friends know about your open marriage?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Rad-daddio posted:

Would you say that the amount of partners that you both have is equal?

Who originally proposed the open relationship?

Was there a rocky start to your open marriage, or was it pretty smooth from the get go?

Does it affect your friend groups? Do your friends know about your open marriage?

I will sate your curiosity and answer your questions!

1. I have one girlfriend right now and two ex-girlfriends since the start of our marriage and she has two ex-boyfriends. We're on friendly terms with all our exes.

2. She did and it took a lot of courage and build-up, it wasn't some random thing she dropped on me. I had kinda been secretly open to it but didn't want to hurt her so it was pretty surprising when she was the one who ended up bringing it up.

3. There were some rocky moments of jealousy within the first year or so. They weren't very often and it was mainly because I was doing stupid poo poo while drunk like not texting her back and letting her know where I was. I stopped drinking and it never became an issue again.

4. Our friends know and are usually "that's pretty cool you guys are so happy with it but it'd never work for me"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i seem to remember there was a goldmine thread about this

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

g0lbez posted:

I will sate your curiosity and answer your questions!

1. I have one girlfriend right now and two ex-girlfriends since the start of our marriage and she has two ex-boyfriends. We're on friendly terms with all our exes.

2. She did and it took a lot of courage and build-up, it wasn't some random thing she dropped on me. I had kinda been secretly open to it but didn't want to hurt her so it was pretty surprising when she was the one who ended up bringing it up.

3. There were some rocky moments of jealousy within the first year or so. They weren't very often and it was mainly because I was doing stupid poo poo while drunk like not texting her back and letting her know where I was. I stopped drinking and it never became an issue again.

4. Our friends know and are usually "that's pretty cool you guys are so happy with it but it'd never work for me"

Thank you :)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i seem to remember there was a goldmine thread about this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782004

It takes a while to ramp up but the ending is fantastico

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
:munch:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Everyone is misremembering that okcupid article. Women rate 80% of men as below average, and then women pursue those men anyway. That is in contrast to men where the ugliest oldest dude is still gonna be messaging 20-year-old women.

The original blog entry got taken down because okcupid was sold and reorganized a bunch, but here's a recap with that info https://techcrunch.com/2009/11/18/okcupid-inbox-attractive/

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Zelder posted:

what a roller-coaster of emotions. i think im getting soft in my old age though because i got pretty sad at the end there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zelder posted:

This is like riding a log flume ride built on the lake of woe

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Zelder posted:

Ah yes, the ending to every open relationship ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

The Dennis System posted:

You're probably right. Except that I think the gulf between a gas station attendant and a billionaire of today is mind-blowingly huge.

The gas station attendant’s kid could have five million dollars added to his bank account every day and he just might catch up with Bezo’s current net worth by the time the kid dies of old age.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
a woman is trying unsuccessfully to date my wife and i wish she was more into it because she could use more friends tbh

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

AlexanderCA posted:

Bezos is small fry compared to absolute monarchs. Some click baity article estimated Versailles is worth about 50 billion. Note that Buckingham palace (5 billion) is also only one of many british palaces. The house of Saud apparently might be worth 1400 billion.

That's not counting the resource of the state at your disposal as a monarch like Louis xiv.

The vatican is probably up there too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zelder posted:

drat, I dropped out of that thread before it concluded. This dude really prostituted himself to pay for a video card upgrade and that was the line for his open-relationship wife. Jesus

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
what if all there periods sync then your hosed but on the other side the sex would be awesome

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Palpek posted:

Chasing after the unicorn of a multiple-husbands wife.

We already had a cuck shack thread.

neptuneL38
Jul 23, 2002

get some chuckas fucka
it is not so much that my wives are loyal to me... they are loyal to me because i am the embodiment of god. THAT is how you get them on board. The cum is inconsequential

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Zelder posted:

NVM. Lol I forgot how EN is filled to the brim with trainwrecks.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 20, 2019

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ocean Book posted:

a woman is trying unsuccessfully to date my wife and i wish she was more into it because she could use more friends tbh

The woman or your wife?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Ocean Book posted:

This legit happened to my wife awhile back.

She was out walking, and ended up talking with another woman her age.

Long story short, they end up finishing the walk together and they got coffee at a nearby cafe. It was then that the woman made her feelings known. According to my wife, the lady was kinda pissed off when she found out that my wife was straight/monogamous.

...and here my wife was thinking she'd found a new bestie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

unpleasantly turgid posted:

i've found that poly people are hideously self-unaware, which i assume is a core ingredient in thinking that you can maintain "intense loving bonds" with multiple people without perceived romantic rifts forming due to discrepancy in relative interest among specific partners.