Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Uhh... no, not really. Idk if they're in the base game but theres a few 1v1 maps I played in the expansion that actually have terrain so you cant just put a few factories on repeat with a global patrol order and harass the enemy from all sides constantly. Still cant turtle though, and a few of them have more than one planet so the problem of no choke points is still there

Cool that they watched supcom players pick Seton's Clutch for every game and drew absolutely no conclusions from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Try learning some fundies you brain damaged, smelly log of poo poo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Try learning some fundies you brain damaged, smelly log of poo poo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Basics Tutorial: When you're done building a worker, queue up another one
Larry spits out corona light all over his two cakes and exits the game

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lmao

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Uhh... no, not really. Idk if they're in the base game but theres a few 1v1 maps I played in the expansion that actually have terrain so you cant just put a few factories on repeat with a global patrol order and harass the enemy from all sides constantly. Still cant turtle though, and a few of them have more than one planet so the problem of no choke points is still there

Installed this piece of poo poo and it does in fact have maps. Originally they were purely procgen lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

Installed this piece of poo poo and it does in fact have maps. Originally they were purely procgen lol.

Yeah workshop maps came out a while back. I dont remember the official ones being any good. Anyway the only reason I like this RTS is because it lets me do picture-in-picture and automate stuff, leaving all my attention for important stuff like microing my army out of artillery shots

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah workshop maps came out a while back. I dont remember the official ones being any good. Anyway the only reason I like this RTS is because it lets me do picture-in-picture and automate stuff, leaving all my attention for important stuff like microing my army out of artillery shots

I always thought it was dumb that SupCom made a huge deal out of minimizing micro but then did projectile hit detection like that so you had to zig zag like a moron all the time.

e: also the official website seems to insist that I play this Heavily Modded

ee:It's on sale! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/planetary-annihilation-titans

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 23, 2019

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

There's still a lot of cheesy poo poo you can do in Legacy of the Void, even with the worker changes. Beastyqt, a streamer who is fairly entertaining, recently did a series of streams where he made it to grandmaster without ever building an expansion. He played random race too, so you get to see all kinds of cheeses.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380927502

it's cool imo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

I always thought it was dumb that SupCom made a huge deal out of minimizing micro but then did projectile hit detection like that so you had to zig zag like a moron all the time.

e: also the official website seems to insist that I play this Heavily Modded

ee:It's on sale! https://www.humblebundle.com/store/planetary-annihilation-titans

to be fair it's only the level 1 artillery unit that can even be dodged really. in all honestly I mostly stare at the super weapon all my builders are on and pray it gets built in time to help me win

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

There's still a lot of cheesy poo poo you can do in Legacy of the Void, even with the worker changes. Beastyqt, a streamer who is fairly entertaining, recently did a series of streams where he made it to grandmaster without ever building an expansion. He played random race too, so you get to see all kinds of cheeses.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380927502

it's cool imo

I used to main random it was extremely chill. gently caress the guys who'd ask in chat what race I got, just send your scout 5 seconds earlier if you care that much.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Love SC2. I try to get in 5 ladder games a week just to keep the rust away and also it feels like a decent brain game for keeping my mind and hands flexible and responsive. I also get down on AoE2HD when I have people to play with. LoTV, SC2 going free to play, and non-koreans winning major tournaments has been awesome for the game overall. Lots of people I meet don't think they can play RTS, but imo the matchmaking system in SC2 works brilliantly after you've put in about 10 games and will give you about a 50% chance to beat anyone you get matched against and is an awesome way to learn the game

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I’m excited for the new pretty version of Warcraft 3 op

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Love SC2. I try to get in 5 ladder games a week just to keep the rust away and also it feels like a decent brain game for keeping my mind and hands flexible and responsive. I also get down on AoE2HD when I have people to play with. LoTV, SC2 going free to play, and non-koreans winning major tournaments has been awesome for the game overall. Lots of people I meet don't think they can play RTS, but imo the matchmaking system in SC2 works brilliantly after you've put in about 10 games and will give you about a 50% chance to beat anyone you get matched against and is an awesome way to learn the game

Someone who knows what they're doing!

I've barely played LotV so i don't really know the new units. Liberators seem like flying siege tanks... kind of bullshit???

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

P-Mack posted:

I've barely played LotV so i don't really know the new units. Liberators seem like flying siege tanks... kind of bullshit???

they have to deploy and can only deal big damage to ground units. theyre hosed against any air-to-air, or you can swarm them with stalkers/hydras/marines (losing a couple).

people like to park em on minerals and you just gotta evacuate your workers while your counter rolls up to avoid losing a ton.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

P-Mack posted:

I got back into it last year after not playing since WoL so I had to figure out all the new stuff as well. But I honestly found that aside from a couple new units (such as the liberator) the game still felt very familiar, as nothing breaks or changes the game THAT much. Also, balance-wise the game has probably never been in a better spot than it is now, while still offering a lot of viable options allowing for different styles.

SC2 is, in my opinion the best the genre has to offer and likely will stay that way for a long time. Not only because it's a very polished game, but it seems like RTS as we know it is rapidly fading into obscurity, and it's hard for me to imagine anyone else coming up with something that hits the same nerve the original did.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I played tons of brood war and then sc2, before any of the expansions. The new changes and free to play have made me want to start playing again. Problem with the expansions for me though is I feel like I’ll have no idea what’s going on... probably going to install it pretty soon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I downloaded sc2 and it asks me to log in and then tells me to put in an authenticator code but it doesnt actually send a code to my app. Other blizzard stuff works fine and authenticates like it should. Mods?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

press where the app says enter code manually

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jenny Agutter posted:

press where the app says enter code manually

I figured it out ty ! I haven't played starcraft since middle school tho and got way too overwhelmed by trying a VS AI match and not knowing what to do . I'll try the campaign sometime tho

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Dune II was a bad game and Dune II clones are much worse. :hehe:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dont Touch ME posted:

Dune II was a bad game and Dune II clones are much worse. :hehe:

https://youtu.be/UJVDJvxSkVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Tried out Northgard recently. Pretty chill for an RTS. Reminds me a lot of the later Settlers games, and maybe a bit of what real-time Civilization would play like. Though, imo, there is too much RNG between starting locations, as well as a few other things that cause the game feel like there's little room to take it serious enough to invest into for competitive play.

Still, a fun and good looking game to do some team games or an FFA if you've got a couple hours to kill.