Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

I took it more as "Chris is an established photographer" and the guy is an Art Critic(?) for photography. So he could easily take over Chris's life and hope to be a successful photographer and blend right in.

It's also a commentary on critics being jealous of the artists they criticize / critics are failed artists.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but I believe Chris’s buyer was a photographer, but stated he had to give up the hobby as his eyesight started to go, in the conversation at the party before Chris suspected anything from him. Chris even finds him to be the only white person he’s comfortable around at the party because of their mutual hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pirate Jet posted:

I believe Chocula was referring to Us being about class, not Get Out.

That being said, for those who believe Us isn’t about class, Peele pretty clearly disagrees. https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-jordan-peele-us-ending-spoilers-20190325-story.html

The photographer who bought Chris’s body is already racist by virtue of participating in a system that fetishizes blackness to the point of rendering it a commodity.

The whole point is that being a nice racist doesn't matter

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I believe Chocula was referring to Us being about class, not Get Out.
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I also think there are class elements to Get Out, I just think it's a mistake to dismiss the much larger racial ones.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The whole point is that being a nice racist doesn't matter

I know. What are you trying to say?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pirate Jet posted:

I know. What are you trying to say?

I'm agreeing with you against the person who suggested that Stephen Root's character wasn't racist

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I'm agreeing with you against the person who suggested that Stephen Root's character wasn't racist

Oh, my misunderstanding then. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Is it really about race? The do have the scene where they explain that its not racism in how/why they are targeting black people.

I was probated for a week and I spent most of it marvelling at this post from afar, its like a thing of beauty

No, the movie about smug "we can't be racist" rich white people stealing the bodies of black people, specifically black people, whom they have fetishized and stereotyped (the only black character besides Chris and the grandparents is dressed like some 1950s caricature for fucks sake), and using them for their own gains is absolutely not about race. The fact that when you see the flashing lights at the end of the movie you suddenly realize the cops have just come upon a black man killing a bunch of rich white people and this will not end well for him is definitely not because it's a movie about race.

Dawn of the Dead isn't about consumerism either