Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I'm tinkering with some old video gear and getting into a rabbit hole.

I want to capture VHS tapes on a modern Mac running macOS Mojave. Currently we have an old machine on Yosemite attached to a via firewire 4/8 > Thunderbolt adapter and that deck is attached to a VHS deck with composite.

Since this isn't a common job but it does come up - I'd like to use this new mac mini that has Mojave - and finally retire the older machine - but the Mini is limited port wise.

Ideally I want to just go straight from vhs to the computer - and in Apple's world of adapters I'm seeing multiple Rube Goldberg like setups that I want to avoid.

Just want to capture VHS to Mojave (to future proof this workflow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Try looking for Composite to USB capture devices. I can't really recommend any of them because I simply don't use them. But there should be some that are Mac compatible and decent quality.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Word. I looked at something called Elgato - which is the only mac compatible software that's 64-bit.

I just got an idea; was thinking about an Analog to SDI converter when I realized that any monitor with SDI out is a converter. So i'm gonna grab one of our small broadcast monitors to convert SD from VHS.

Elgato seems nice enough but I'm not sure it's flexible when it comes to different frame sizes/ratios.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Elgato is a brand the LP folks seem to like, maybe you can ask about it in their tech support thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

Goddamn - that thread has a wiki on the first page.

Thanks for that.

As it happens I did some more scrounging and found a audio transformer for unbalanced to balanced (RCA>XLR). Using that with some SDI adapters for the yellow video RCA cable I was able to use a Black Magic Ultrastudio 4K I/O - then capture with Black Magic Media Express.

It's still funny though. My elaborate setup with Final Cut Pro 7 is bonkers but Final Cut Pro 7 is just a beast when it comes to capturing. FCP don't give a gently caress about dropped frames.