Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"Hey, doc," Lenny pipes up quietly - much quieter than his companions - as he takes in the lobby. His posture is unmistakably tense. The Beast doesn't like being in this place in the slightest - and for once, he's inclined to agree. "Or Zedd - or whoever else knows." His eyes dart back and forth, trying to take in the whole of the room, though he doesn't turn his head - or, indeed, move much at all. "Suppose whoever's here won't like us. Can I fight them? Would it be worth the effort of trying? Or do we run?"

The suggestion of going to see the landlady sounds reasonable to him. Having an ally - if an ornery one - in unknown territory was always valuable. They needed information, like he had when formulating a plan to bring some revenge to Rufus; and he had fought other vampires and even some other supernatural beings in his short time as a creature of the night, but that doesn't mean he had even the slightest clue how to fight a ghost, if he even could. And that bothered him. Even more so than the seemingly oppressing dread permeating the atmosphere of the hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:c: INT. BURNETT & WHITE FUNERAL HOME - BASEMENT

mistaya posted:

JEREMY: "Features?" Jeremy asks, raising an eyebrow. He's never actually considered sleeping in a coffin before. It seems like admitting something he'd rather not, though now he's curious. "Well now, I can't say I'm not interested in what you mean by that..." He hops up into it, feeling more than a little ridiculous.

When JEREMY hops up on the side, FRANKEL moves closer, leaning over and slowly flattening against the velvet lining. His large, dark eyes look up to Jeremy's as if beckoning him to do just the same. We get a glimpse of the Kindred's senses, the sound of the happy man's heart beating just gently under the din of the scene, and their voices.

FRANKEL: "Feel that? Kevlar lining, with steel bracing to prevent any possible... breaking and entering. You can rest assured that this sarcophagus will guarantee a restful sleep... As long as necessary." Even now, using still some veiled language, but it was clear by now there was an understanding of his client.

CUT: An overhead shot showing their framing, and their proximity. FRANKEL reaches towards the lid, brushing where a metal plate with a grill and speaker is placed, right beneath a keypad.

FRANKEL: "And with this, well, this is for a moment of panic."

FRANKEL presses a red unlabeled button on the keypad. Suddenly there's a whirring, and JEREMY is caught for a moment off-balance as it begins to shift, the lid swinging to shut and fold inward with a violent motion, to trap him inside! FRANKEL steps back with a bit of a start, eyes wide and smile creasing.

:s: JEREMY: Make a Wits + Empathy - 1 check to sense the malicious intent and be ready to react, or a Dexterity + Composure - 2 check to keep your balance in the trap. You may only make one of these checks, but either would keep you from being trapped.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:c: EXT. THE REC CENTER - ENTRANCE

ilootthecorpse posted:

Well, Bev was right about it still being early, but it was dark and there was a killer on the loose. It was hardly safe to leave her out here all alone. Francisco unlocked the door and let Eustacia go in first, then picked up Beverly's boombox. "Come on. Jeremy should be here soon too."

BEVERLY: Blurted out. "Jeremy was already here."

CUT: The shot frames the three, FRANCISCO up at the doors into the rec center, EUSTACIA in her veils and linens shuffling behind, while BEVERLY stood there at the foot of the stoop, looking upwards behind her thickly framed glasses, which she adjusted nervously, especially as the glint of the tigress's eyes turned back and EUSTACIA steps a moment down with a purring trill of interrogation.

EUSTACIA: "Doing what, exactly?"

BEVERLY: "I don't exactly know but... He was here and in a rush to go somewhere earlier." It sometimes pays to have a stalker, because they tend to have tabs on your movements. "Like, an hour ago. You said he was supposed to meet with you here, right? I was going to, uh, follow him but..." Nervously, BEVERLY eyes the unfamiliar EUSTACIA. "Well, you've heard about the attacks in the Yard." Which just goes to show how motivated she is to spend some time with her favorite creatures of the night.

EUSTACIA: "Mmm, perhaps to prepare a present? That would be grand..." A greedy look in the elder's eyes at the thought of such attentions.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:c: INT. PENDERGHAST’S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM

Shogeton posted:

A thought occurred to him. "This doctor Van Vugt. At around what time did he live here?" It might not be connected, but if he died around the time of the cholera epidemic, there might be some kind of link there. Their Prince had told them after all that nothing here happens by chance. And while he was inclined to fully agree, there might be something here.

PENDERGHAST: "Well, I'm no historian, but I've done the reading." He picks a bit at his sparse hairline. "He settled in the old town of Brooklyn's south in Red Hook around 1660, not long before the English took over. He set up the foundations of this place for his apothecary and disappeared not but three years later, and we have no idea when he died... or how. Old man Frost knew how to speak with him, both sharing the tongue, but when the Prince went into Twilight..." Nervously. "Let's just say he wasn't found of an old undertaker like me."

ilootthecorpse
Oct 13, 2010

"An hour ago? Claro." Franky wouldn't admit it, mostly because he didn't want to encourage their super fan's behavior, but Bev was pretty useful. The Deacon watched Eustacia's brief interrogation closely. Beverly was obviously terrified, and rightfully so, but she never swerved. She would do anything to stay near her favorite creatures of the night. The only reason she hadn't followed Jeremy was because she was afraid of the slasher, a human threat, so far as they knew, not because she thought he might suck her dry. Not that he would. Jer was a sweetheart.

"I think you are right, madre. Last night he said something about finding you a more comfortable sleeping arrangement, ya? Come on inside, and give me a minute." Franky went to check the phone book while Eustacia and Bev poked around the inside of the rec center, the matron looking nonplussed while Bev tried to covertly snoop for the Coteries' personal things. "Here," he said after a few minutes, "Burnett & White Funeral Home in Gowanus." He smiled, pleased that they wouldn't be sitting around waiting. "Let's go see if he needs a hand, and make sure they get the right delivery address."

The black town car was still rumbling by the curb outside. Francisco opened the back door to let Eustacia inside, and then circled around the other side to open the door for Beverly. "How about you two chat and I'll sit up front to give directions." He didn't wait for a response before ushering Bev in beside the matriarch and settling in up front. Franky twisted around to give the girl a fangy grin and then looked sidelong at the tigress. "Gioca bene, per favore."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

"Aaah, no, then he would be for the wrong century. Though it means he was... well... not alive but present for the epidemic. Perhaps he will be glad to a fellow mad of medicine and science. I do hope perhaps the Prince taught him a bit of English. I'm afraid my Dutch is rather non-existent."

"As to your remark, Lenny. That is a good question. Conventional wisdom would tell us that ghosts would resist any kind of physical attack. Perhaps they might be amendable to the powers of my blood if it comes to it? I am definitely going into completely new areas. At least I brought a lot of things that, should some of the stories about ghosts be based on hard facts, should assist us in getting a timely warning about their presence. That said, if the situation turns into one of combat, I am likely to follow the lead of a veteran such as yourself."

"Now, the night is young and so, I am told, are we. Let us go make introductions, and make sure to wipe our feet." The doctor said with a smile.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"A lot of things is right," Lenny says, working his jaw as he looks over all the gizmos. "Look, doc, no offense, you probably thought it over and have a reason for bringing out all these things - but I'm not gonna be much good to you either way if I've got my hands full carrying all this poo poo, when we don't even know if it'll do anything yet. Why don't I haul some of it back to the car, for now, just until we know what we're dealing with, and then I can bring some of it back in before dawn, if need be, after we've made introductions to the landlady. Just hang out for a second, I'll be right back." The moment he steps over the treshold outside, hands full of the bulkiest - or at least what Dr. Chadwick has deemed the least vital - things, his Beast almost sighs in relief. Walking back to the car, the vet dumps the devices in the trunk, and takes in a scan of his surroundings before preparing to head back and join the others.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 21, 2019

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

"You aren't gonna help with mine?" Lenny was alone when he opened the trunk. When he closes it again, he has company. Olivia emerges into the flickering glow of the neon sign, carrying a heavy tote bag over one shoulder. "How's it going?" she asks, cracking a smirk. "Seen any dead people yet?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Were he not a man with years of combat experience, Lenny might've done something stupid when Olivia snuck up on him. As it was, he simply glowered, and raised the corner of his lip before forcing his expression neutral again, and sighing. One of these days...

"Yeah. Three of them, till you showed up. Now it's four. Come on, doc wants to go make introductions." Lenny doesn't offer to carry the bag as he precedes his last night's sleeping companion back into the hotel's foyer. "Look who showed up after all, folks," he announces Olivia to the rest of the gathered, though the airy statement is immediately followed by his body tensing up once the doors are shut again. Time to go meet a ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

"What... but, i was really hoping to get some hard data on what does and does not work. This is a rare opportunity really." The doctor sighed as some of the heavier (and expensive) equipment was returned to the car. "I suppose we can see if we can have some peaceable entry into the hotel first, and if things are relatively calm we can return to set them up." Dr. Chadwick looked a bit crestfallen at the lack of opportunity to get some science done, coming out a bit later as he saw Olivia. "Ah, Miss Voss. So glad to see you. As you see, lofty ambitions must be anchored to mundane and sensible security precautions." He was holding a camera himself.