Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Lol at being so poor you dont have your own boat and have to share a big one with 3000 other people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Cruise ships are incredibly wasteful I’m having a hard time feeling bad for any of these people

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
good news, you can bunk on a cargo ship for less money (cash, due every morning). no olds, the insurance won't cover it.

read books or choose from an assortment of DVDs, the kind that you might expect the crew of a marine vessel to keep around.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2019

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
im salty about cruises because when i did go on one i pulled a chest muscle on like the 2nd day walking the mayan ruins somehow and spent the rest of the week watching pool hall junkies on repeat in my cabin

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I hope we get a costa concordia moment and the captain attempts to shirk his duties while snorting copious amounts of cocaine on his private life boat.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

13Pandora13 posted:

This seems like a good place to post my favorite long-form article ever https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

If you've never read it strap in, I still get cold sweats reading it.

Came to post this, so I'll settle for endorsing it.

It's one of those stories so gripping the words reach out from the page to shake your soul.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Nut to Butt posted:

Came to post this, so I'll settle for endorsing it.

It's one of those stories so gripping the words reach out from the page to shake your soul.

Cool, going to read it.
Air France 447 is my fav disaster story.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
My worst nightmare. Not the sinking ship part but the norovirus prison filled with boomers.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i would go on a star trek cruise if you paid me $1000

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

fist4jesus posted:

That not quite how I remember that movie.
Also, have you seen the mostly forgotten sequel?

Sounds the same to me.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fish and chips and dip posted:

It's not only that the engines stopped running. But that area of Norway has had awful weather so they're stuck out there in a storm and 9 meter high waves.

I've never had much desire to go on a cruise, but everyone i know whose been on one (6 people who all have done several cruises) can't poo poo up about how great they are and how fun it is, so I'm getting curious (cruiseous).

cruises are full of rapes and they're not too interested in doing anything about it so mayube dont give them money

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Do it ironically posted:

Cruise ships are incredibly wasteful I’m having a hard time feeling bad for any of these people

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

Do it ironically posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

almost as big of a disaster as the Weezer cruise

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Merlot Brougham posted:

Sounds the same to me.

Are they being rescued by way of cutting torch? Is the ship upside down? Have any priests burned to death?

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

numberoneposter posted:

i would go on a star trek cruise if you paid me $1000

No guarantee you get any green-skinned pussy.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

13Pandora13 posted:

This seems like a good place to post my favorite long-form article ever https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

This is nightmare fuel. The cold factual telling of the horrid conditions aboard makes it all the more awful.

For a more non-soulcrushing long-read there is the essay by David Foster Wallace in Harper's Magazine about his first time on a cruise.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/David-Foster-Wallace-cruise-essay-130712.cfm
(Follow the link to the article from there)

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Also, extralol that this massively expensive government-funded rescue operation was set in motion to save the passengers on a cruise line owned by a Norwegian living in Switzerland...not paying taxes to Norway. He did however come north as quickly as he could in his private jet, so all is good.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

even when things aren’t going completely sideways, cruise ships have a shockingly high death rate, with 1.5 people falling overboard each month. this is largely due to the over abundance of alcohol (the industry’s biggest moneymaker) and a refusal to install the detection systems to detect falls (because they are expensive) or the barriers needed to stop them (because they would “ruin the views”)

https://qz.com/1443797/why-do-people-keep-falling-off-cruise-ships-because-people-keep-stepping-onto-them/amp/

e: also there’s obviously a lot of elderly who expire on board.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 25, 2019

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

Never get on a cruise ship for any reason.

If anything this is better than the last time a cruise ship was in the news (everyone was making GBS threads their guts out IIRC)

Researchers think they may be able to start working on a vaccine for norovirus soon:

https://www.medicaleconomics.com/vaccines/new-research-may-lead-norovirus-vaccine

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

numberoneposter posted:

It's called a ship actually.

Yup boats have sails

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

13Pandora13 posted:

I read this whole article, and I don't think I'm going to sleep very well tonight :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hakimashou posted:

Yup boats have sails

Boat of the line

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Boat of the line
WERE GOING TO NEED A BIGGER BOAT!!!!!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There’s a Jonathan Coulton cruise each year. https://jococruise.com

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

homeless guy posted:

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room.

I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, “I understand you’ve been on this ship for the last four cruises.” She replied, “Yes, that’s true.” I stated, “I don’t understand” and she replied, without a pause, “It’s cheaper than a nursing home.”

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day (of fantastic food, not institutional food) if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days!

7. TV broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don’t even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

10. There is always a doctor on board.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don’t look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

PS: And don’t forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge.

Nice copypasta.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

fist4jesus posted:

Are they being rescued by way of cutting torch? Is the ship upside down? Have any priests burned to death?

Are the female passengers wearing hotpants?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Lolie posted:

Nice copypasta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V998lOeIN1w
this scene when the gang are making ship or boat engine noises might be the highlight of the series for me, like the ultimate joke payoff of their years of those guys constantly arguing with each other and for me, this is the highest point of the series where they could not possibly disagree with each other more.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Lolie posted:

Are the female passengers wearing hotpants?

In Norway?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

13Pandora13 posted:

Sweet Jeebus.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Wizchine posted:

Sweet Jeebus.
i have that open in a separate tab to read later

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

numberoneposter posted:

i have that open in a separate tab to read later

It's pretty harrowing. And if you're already depressed about other things, reading it will make your brain feel like it's drowning.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

LabyaMynora posted:

It's pretty harrowing. And if you're already depressed about other things, reading it will make your brain feel like it's drowning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNVqOmJc-YY&t=1356s

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

More like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6mzdZXok5U

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

13Pandora13 posted:

While it will take some time to read all that, it may be worth keeping in mind that the whole thing happened extremely fast, in only 15-30 minutes.

Here is the mayday call and emergency coordination radio traffic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5tbah19qo8

The first ship arrived some 45 minutes after the mayday, at which point Estonia was already completely gone (around the 15 minute mark in that video).

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

13Pandora13 posted:

God drat that is some nightmare fuel.

quote:

The collective screams of the victims trapped below rose through the stairwells like a cacophony from hell, a protest that for some of those on the outside near the doors drowned out even the roar of the storm.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am reasonably sure I saw it here on SA. A goon made a thread asking a bunch of questions about cruises (he was about to go on one with his parents and family) and then posted a picture of his goddamn desktop gaming PC that he brought aboard and set up in his cabin.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
There's a Golden Girls themed cruise happening in a few months. Rooms sold out in under a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
hell u should never set foot on a cruise every in less its an air craft carrier they never sink