Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Brolander posted:

The only time I did my high school's Alumni tournament i gave myself Saturday Night Palsy and had to play with just my right hand. Some kid made a crack about me being awkward and I held up my useless left and said I ONLY HAVE ONE HAND. I still managed to score on a push-up shot during my understandably limited minutes. So basically I know exactly what it's like

You and panzeh both probably dribble with your left better than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

New Goon Hoopin' here. Well it's been about 15 years.

Jesus gently caress I'm bad. It's embarrassing. I can still shoot and can take on anyone at horse but my D makes me a liability. Don't have the size or the aggressiveness.

Currently watching Kurt Rambis teach small children how to play defense on youtube from those instructional vids from like 1990.

Hmm? How bad can you be? Unless you got dragged into a competitive league already, the minimal standards of basic casual pickup games range from something like Carmelo in his last year to James Harden's lowlights. Unless you're actually matadoring your matchup to the rim, most teams won't be too mad at you as long as you can hold your own offensively (shooting, cutting) and playing for rebounds.

Worst case scenario (I only do this when I'm in a clear miss match, like my matchup clearly played in some decent organized level at some point), add a slight level of physical contact when your man doesn't have the ball. A hand on his back, slight nudges and whatever. But try to keep them within arms length. I mean contact short of hacking/pushing them. This is both a physical way of cheating if you're less athletic and a way to send a minor message that your guy needs to respect your presence.

If your man gets the ball, try to square up and pay attention to his hips. The basic goal is to try to stay between him and the hoop and inhibit his ability to do anything, but of course that's easier said than done. Again, if you're completely outmatched, frankly, I think you should hand check a bit. I don't like doing this unless it's a last resort, but most really good players probably won't even say anything. Maybe just one hand on their waist will do just enough to keep pace. So many people do it that I can't say it's frowned upon but I admitted get annoyed when people handcheck me.

Anyway, learning good basic defense is better in the long run over these cheats, but time is money so I don't know how much time you can devote to becoming a baller.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Doltos posted:

You and panzeh both probably dribble with your left better than me

well it got better thank barkley

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Some guy on my team was traveling, but he was on my team so I didn't felt like calling him out. He mostly drove normally, but if someone challenged the drive well enough he would do an small extra shuffle to avoid it. I think some guys could tell he was doing something, but couldn't pinpoint exactly what, so they wouldn't call it. He was young, I wonder how long he'll be able to get away with it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

cisneros posted:

Some guy on my team was traveling, but he was on my team so I didn't felt like calling him out. He mostly drove normally, but if someone challenged the drive well enough he would do an small extra shuffle to avoid it. I think some guys could tell he was doing something, but couldn't pinpoint exactly what, so they wouldn't call it. He was young, I wonder how long he'll be able to get away with it.

We have an old guy who is allowed to travel because he is shameless about it, though some of the other players have been gaslighted into believing it isn't one and he's just 'gathering'. It's frustrating, but not that big of a deal because he's predictable about it and you can just wait on the extra step and block him.

I've mostly only ever played pickup vs organized ball and in my experience this stuff doesn't get better. Getting away with it now means it becomes precedent and it'll never be stopped.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I once played a pickup game in a Toronto area YMCA where a guy called a travel on me for apparently sliding my pivot foot a little too much on a spin. I was tempted to talk poo poo on the call, but I was there alone as an out of town (and country) visitor. I was especially annoyed because the only sneakers I had were super worn down Ultraboosts so it was already a bit of a pain running around a basketball court.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
got about an hour of half in of shooting today after a long lapse. i basically just play around the world with myself over and over and try to beat my time. my legs go pretty fast though so the last round is just a slog of missed 3 pointers
they put up nets since the last time I was there, forgot how good swishes "feel" on a new net

Brolander fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 15, 2019

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I played a week ago for the first time in a year. I'm fairly tall at 6'2 and after warming up I approached some guys who were about my size. Lost the first game of 21 but after feeling them out I won the second. Both were skilled but raw. I finally asked how old they were, expecting them to be 19 or 20, and they were 14. Jesus. It felt good to beat some kids less than half my age, though. They were pretty good and I hadn't touched a ball in almost a year. The jumper is always there, no matter how long I leave it waiting by the window like a latch key child awaiting my return.

I have found myself becoming the old man giving unsolicited advice and coaching on the court nowadays. I never know if they welcome it or just want me to shut up

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Haha, congrats. I find there's a huge jump in ability when you play kids that are 16+. That extra year or two seems to go a long way in a kid's confidence. Even a 5'6 guy like me can usually beat or even dominate skilled taller 14 year olds because they have no clue how to defend me.

The unsolicited advice stuff, I only throw it in if they're clearly interested, as in, they're talking about techniques and training or something. Depending on the kids, sometimes they're just little shits who are more interested in showing each other up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sometimes one of the guys I play with brings his younger brother who is like 19 now. He's 6'3 played ball in high school and is a high jumper on his college track team, so basically it's impossible to defend him around the basket and you run a risk of being easily dunked on

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Bumping this for an important opinion question:

What is the outdoor basketball equivalent of the Wilson Evolution?

I want to buy an outdoor ball. For indoor, the evolution is the clear favorite. What about outdoor?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

I believe “tiny Filipino man who always insist on using his bald FIBA ball” is the standard.

Seriously though I just use my evolution but I’m fine with buying a new one every now and then.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

My Evolution ball from like 2011 is still perfectly usable because it's never touched an outdoor surface. Every ball I've bought for outdoor use is pretty much eroded after one season of use.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My standard for outdoor balls is "feels good in your hands but also costs less than $15 because it's going to be ruined in six months"

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
The only tolerable outdoor ball that I enjoyed using is the Spalding zi/o Excel.

Feels good to start playing again. We're renting a school gym on the weekends with a bunch of old friends.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I use this:
https://www.spalding.com/shop/basketballs/nba-tack-soft-indoor-outdoor-basketball/SPA0114.html

Which I can regularly find under $20 for an outdoor ball. It'll get ruined, but it feels nice and I think the "tack soft" or whatever hides some of the wear when using it outside. It's a decent ball for indoor too.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

iamsosmrt posted:

My Evolution ball from like 2011 is still perfectly usable because it's never touched an outdoor surface. Every ball I've bought for outdoor use is pretty much eroded after one season of use.

I got mine in 2014 and, despite looking really worn, it still has great grip. It was a good rear end investment.

Pickup stuff: I shoot around all the time after I lift, but barely get to play in games because I refuse to play with teens. I'm playing in a rec league with some co-workers starting today, so I'm sure I'll gently caress up a lot because I'm not used to games.

the mean lunch lady fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 26, 2020

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

poe meater posted:

The only tolerable outdoor ball that I enjoyed using is the Spalding zi/o Excel.

Feels good to start playing again. We're renting a school gym on the weekends with a bunch of old friends.

This is what I ended up buying. Hopefully it works out.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the mean lunch lady posted:

I got mine in 2014 and, despite looking really worn, it still has great grip. It was a good rear end investment.

Pickup stuff: I shoot around all the time after I lift, but barely get to play in games because I refuse to play with teens. I'm playing in a rec league with some co-workers starting today, so I'm sure I'll gently caress up a lot because I'm not used to games.

you’ll get back in the swing of it soon; i noticed that for me the hardest thing was figuring out spacing after not playing for a couple of years

that and my joints are worse since your boy went and let himself get kinda fat in the interim, turns out that “playing your way back into game shape” isn’t really a thing in pickup

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Spend big on your indoor ball and don't spend more than $20 on your outdoor ball because it'll be wrecked in 6 months. Same with basketball shoes.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

the mean lunch lady posted:

I've gotten back into it recently and I've been playing with teens if only for lack of options. I don't know if its the area I'm in, but they're a lot worse than I expected. Which is fine by me as I'm still getting my game back.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Spend big on your indoor ball and don't spend more than $20 on your outdoor ball because it'll be wrecked in 6 months. Same with basketball shoes.

Speaking of baskeball shoes, I'm going to have to find some new ones soon because even ebay is coming up empty on the shoes I like but stopped being made 8 years ago

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

BIZORT posted:

Jokes on you I found my outdoor ball in a bush

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

iamsosmrt posted:

I've gotten back into it recently and I've been playing with teens if only for lack of options. I don't know if its the area I'm in, but they're a lot worse than I expected. Which is fine by me as I'm still getting my game back.

I haven't played much recently, but when I played at the rec center I would usually do well against kids in their teens with my old man moves until every once in a while some kid would show up and wreck and make me feel old and dumb.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JstnMchl/status/1243360458297364481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I drove by a court near my house this morning and they were taking down the rims.