Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Deakul posted:

Is there an alternative to their bloated as gently caress mod manager?

Are you talking r2modman or the official thunderstore manager? Cause r2modman is fine and doesn’t seem bloated at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Star posted:

I wish there was a difficulty between easy and medium. The former is too easy for me and hardly poses a challenge until the final boss and medium just wipes me too often.

Artifacts can help with this. You can make a difficulty level easier with something like Artifact of Command. Artifact of Swarms can often make the game easier if you build for it.

Or make easy harder with something like Artifact of Spite.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fayez Butts posted:

Are you talking r2modman or the official thunderstore manager? Cause r2modman is fine and doesn’t seem bloated at all

The latter.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n7xHH-pinM

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Deakul posted:

The latter.

Check out r2modman it’s on thunderstore

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fayez Butts posted:

Check out r2modman it’s on thunderstore

You had me thinking I was going crazy but no I guess this is just that garbage manager but without any of the bloat, good poo poo.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Both RoR:Returns and Survivors of the Void for consoles are coming out on Nov 8!

Returns only looks to be coming out on Steam and Switch, which seems odd.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Risk of Rain friends, I have a question for you all. Cross-posted from the Steam deck thread:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I got back into the original Risk of Rain and I noticed that the game started to slow down horrendously after a bit. It'd reset every playthrough, but I haven't been able to put my finger on what's causing it to lag so much. I don't have per-game settings for it, so I'm not sure what's going on.

It made me rebuy RoR2 (already own it on Switch), which of course plays beautifully.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

See, my main thing is that I first played RoR1 9 years ago on a much, much worse computer than the Steam deck, and everything was fine.

When I say "slowdown", I don't even mean when everything is crazy onscreen; even starting a new area starts off slow, if I spent enough time in the previous one. It's as if as the timer goes up, the game slows down accordingly. The only thing that fixes it is either dying or restarting the game.

This never used to happen.

Any ideas?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
i would guess the old rear end gamemaker game doesn't handle the proton emulation very well

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Actually the fastest solution might be to wait a week until Risk of Rain: Returns releases, that will certainly be Steam Deck compatible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Voxx posted:

i would guess the old rear end gamemaker game doesn't handle the proton emulation very well

Ah, this makes the most sense to me. Thanks.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I thought the same thing when Rupert first posted about it in the deck thread, but apparently RoR1 has a Linux native version which would remove the need for Proton.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
check the properties and see if you are running Linux version I guess? in either case flip it to the other one and see if it runs better

i did a handful of runs in ror1 last week and the game still slaps but it feels so difficult after how streamlined 2 feels. still love the rhythm of jumping over hits and slamming giant packs of dudes stacked up for big explosions

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blurb3947 posted:

Both RoR:Returns and Survivors of the Void for consoles are coming out on Nov 8!

Returns only looks to be coming out on Steam and Switch, which seems odd.

quote:

The release of Risk of Rain Returns will not be the only way we're celebrating 10 years of the franchise - we will be taking a walk down memory lane and looking back at what got us here - and our friends at Gearbox will also be talking about what’s ahead!

This 10th anniversary Showcase will be a celebration of the Risk of Rain community, and the big lovable orange blob - If you are a fan of Risk of Rain, or blobs, this is not to be missed so make sure you're following Gearbox on Twitch!

https://www.twitch.tv/GearboxOfficial

Risk of Rain 2 fans do not want to miss this showcase..

The last little bolded bit was hidden behind a spoiler tag, which makes me wonder if there's something coming for RoR2 that isn't just SotV for Switch?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Kikas posted:

Actually the fastest solution might be to wait a week until Risk of Rain: Returns releases, that will certainly be Steam Deck compatible.
Would recommend this anyway since at launch the price is only going to be $12.75.

Oxyclean posted:

The last little bolded bit was hidden behind a spoiler tag, which makes me wonder if there's something coming for RoR2 that isn't just SotV for Switch?

I mean... Gearbox did buy the IP. They plan to make more games and/or expansions. Looks like the stream will be at 10:30AM PT; I'll be asleep.

My only hope is that Gearbox doesn't end up running the RoR IP into the ground.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 4, 2023

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2306620/Risk_of_Rain_2__EXXXXXXXX/

https://steamcommunity.com/games/632360/announcements/detail/3778017276237007272?snr=2_9_100000_

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I seem to remember chef being hinted at but that was a long time ago.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
So we've got RoR:Returns out today (it owns, as expected), a new DLC announced for RoR2 (with mentions to consoles as well but hopefully not a year+ after PC gets it), and a new mobile game was announced.

Gearbox have done exactly the opposite of what I thought was going to happen after they acquired Hopoo, I thought for sure the IP was a goner.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Edit: Alas, beaten to it ^^^

Stream Summary: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/632360/view/3778017276247684711
TL;DR

Risk of Rain Returns is out at a 15% discount for $12.74:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1337520/Risk_of_Rain_Returns/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7jgwuE86Q0

New Risk of Rain 2 DLC Seekers of the Storm announced:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2306620/Risk_of_Rain_2_Seekers_of_the_Storm/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLrpnBe1NDc

New Risk of Rain mobile game announced: Risk of Rain: Hostile Worlds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp864T-6res

Risk of Rain 2: Survivors of the Void now on console:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxcVbtPigI

Blurb3947 posted:

Gearbox have done exactly the opposite of what I thought was going to happen after they acquired Hopoo, I thought for sure the IP was a goner.

What'd you think was going to happen? They were going to stick the IP in a crate and lock it up in a warehouse? Nah... they're going to publish as much as possible and run this IP into the ground. Or that's my expectation anyway. We'll have seem good content in the midterm probably.

Also, to be clear: Gearbox didn't acquire Hopoo Games, but instead acquired the Risk of Rain IP from Hopoo Games.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 8, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RoR:R Is fun but maaaan I do not like that you do not face the direction of your cursor. I'm sure thats how it was in the original but I feel like other games have made me expect that behavior and it can make turning around kind of annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
return of the void on console is still busted for a lot of people. can't even get past the starting menu after downloading it

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I hadn't booted up RoR2 on PC in about a year, and I couldn't even play single-player until I disabled Steam/Epic crossplay. Selecting single-player otherwise just spit me straight back to the main menu. Exiting the game also didn't register with Steam that it was no longer running, so I had to exit the Steam client entirely in order to change any settings that required a game restart.

I didn't get to play nearly enough of this game when it had a bigger playerbase, so I'm happy that Gearbox is keeping it going, even though they don't seem to have the best rep... but stupid little snags like this can drag it back down easily, especially if they're doing some backroom business shenanigans with Epic to drag more people onto their store.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, a friend linked me this:

So.... Gearbox is making a gacha game out of the RoR series then, or is this some sort of weird knockoff?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Lol, a friend linked me this:

So.... Gearbox is making a gacha game out of the RoR series then, or is this some sort of weird knockoff?

4 posts above yours.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BeAuMaN posted:

4 posts above yours.

Totally missed that in the middle of the links, thanks

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the pilot is such a cool and fun character. It’s extremely satisfying to place some mines and then light up enemies when they get launched into the air. Also love having a ton of vertical mobility right from the start of a run

i wonder if theyll bring them to 2 in the dlc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
acrid my sweet soggy boy, what have these bastards done to you

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Risky 1: Uh, am I dumb or are the controls kind of rear end? Like specifically aiming, the direction you're shooting. Sometimes it seems to lock on to the closest enemy, others it's like I can't get my character to shoot in the right direction, I haven't grocked this intuitively yet. I set it to KB+M by default, how do you try the other schemes? I don't remember the original being this obnoxious.

eta: You hit "reset controls to default" to bring that choice back up again.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 10, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Risky 1: Uh, am I dumb or are the controls kind of rear end? Like specifically aiming, the direction you're shooting. Sometimes it seems to lock on to the closest enemy, others it's like I can't get my character to shoot in the right direction, I haven't grocked this intuitively yet. I set it to KB+M by default, how do you try the other schemes? I don't remember the original being this obnoxious.

If you go into the Controls tab and choose default settings it'll ask you which scheme you want to use

edit: ah poo poo he beat me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

eta: You hit "reset controls to default" to bring that choice back up again.

Yeah, mouse is pretty much purely just buttons + selecting menus. I wish they had done some work to try to make you shoot in the direction you face, but that might break the way you strafe or come with it's own problems?

But drat, the game is tough. I was playing on drizzle with command and Providence still handed my rear end to me.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah with Huntress I think I get it, if a dude is in line of sight of you, you will auto target to them when you fire, since it's not the homing shot anymore. Every other class though (that I've unlocked anyway), if you hold fire, you CAN NOT change the direction you're shooting. That really sucks and I'm not sure how much I'll be sticking with this. I don't remember feeling that way about the original, might load it up to test later.

This sucks with Huntress too though because I keep trying to fire off my R into a boss but some dude spawns behind me as I hit it, so she turns around and throws it at the little thing instead of the big boss. Ugh.

eta: Looks like a dev on Discord said they might try and find a way to add mouse aiming so the position of your mouse cursor will change your aiming left and right, but it's hard to do it in a way that doesn't completely outclass keyboard.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 10, 2023

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Yeah with Huntress I think I get it, if a dude is in line of sight of you, you will auto target to them when you fire, since it's not the homing shot anymore. Every other class though (that I've unlocked anyway), if you hold fire, you CAN NOT change the direction you're shooting. That really sucks and I'm not sure how much I'll be sticking with this. I don't remember feeling that way about the original, might load it up to test later.

This sucks with Huntress too though because I keep trying to fire off my R into a boss but some dude spawns behind me as I hit it, so she turns around and throws it at the little thing instead of the big boss. Ugh.

eta: Looks like a dev on Discord said they might try and find a way to add mouse aiming so the position of your mouse cursor will change your aiming left and right, but it's hard to do it in a way that doesn't completely outclass keyboard.

They did change it from the original, there you could quickly change directions while shooting, but you couldn't move. Now though they let all characters move slowly while firing so to facilitate that they lock the direction when shooting and just have the character strafe. Its better this way overall I feel, but does lead to some clunkiness. I think the mouse change sounds good and I hope they also let you do it with the right stick on controllers while they're at it

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

MMF Freeway posted:

They did change it from the original, there you could quickly change directions while shooting, but you couldn't move. Now though they let all characters move slowly while firing so to facilitate that they lock the direction when shooting and just have the character strafe. Its better this way overall I feel, but does lead to some clunkiness. I think the mouse change sounds good and I hope they also let you do it with the right stick on controllers while they're at it

I find that change very hard to adjust to and I hope they add something like an accessibility option to use the old firing/movement behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

At the very least they need to put in animation cancelling to change directions. Having to wait 0.25 seconds instead of 0.2 seconds to change direction because a few frames of animation you can't ever see have to finish so oops you ran twoards the enemy for a second to change direction but you're still firing backwards, sucks to be you, really loving blows.

Ladders also need fixing (as in larger 'hitbox' I guess for grabbing them) because I just lost a full Monsoon run at the very end because my character would NOT grab the ladder to get away from Providence's shadow clone no jutsu.