Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

pwn posted:

Also the standby line this week is nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2QSvZUHBXU

New York is just a giant line of things you wait for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

For me it’s the era when Kevin Nealan was at the update desk with Sandler, Spade, Carvey, Farley, etc.

But I actually dig this cast a ton because they are all around my age so the same brand of humor I guess.

Somehow that era is considered a miserable failure that nearly got the show cancelled. All of the those people got fired before their contracts were up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

TheBizzness posted:

I said essentially the same thing to my wife. I hate that he’s somehow famous enough to be parodied on SNL and then they didn’t even bother to actual call out his worst crimes.

I really don’t understand why SNL always pull their punches like this. They have a massive platform to really dig into people in power (which would actually be a whole lot funnier) but they always seem to chicken out at the very end.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Space Racist posted:

Lol everyone in this thread is such an old. My fiancé is a huge BTS fan so I was pretty aware of them already before this episode, but their choreography is always impressive every time I see it.
Did you have to get her parents permission to get engaged or you're marrying an adult women obsessed with Korean teenagers?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Haven't done a bumper dump in a while

And just for Space Racist's child bride

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

jojoinnit posted:

Did you have to get her parents permission to get engaged or you're marrying an adult women obsessed with Korean teenagers?

I know several weaboos with a kpop obsession.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

pwn posted:

Haven't done a bumper dump in a while

This is perfect Old Hollywood photo.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Solkanar512 posted:

I really don’t understand why SNL always pull their punches like this. They have a massive platform to really dig into people in power (which would actually be a whole lot funnier) but they always seem to chicken out at the very end.

Probably because the stuff with the 13 year old is from 2015 and, while gross and illegal, the specifics tend to get exaggerated. But he’s in the new this week because he was arrested for running guns. Of course that could just be more PR stuff, if you’re going to have a criminal record better it be for hard poo poo, not dry humping a 13 year old in an instagram story music video.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Probably because the stuff with the 13 year old is from 2015 and, while gross and illegal, the specifics tend to get exaggerated. But he’s in the new this week because he was arrested for running guns. Of course that could just be more PR stuff, if you’re going to have a criminal record better it be for hard poo poo, not dry humping a 13 year old in an instagram story music video.

Ok, that's fair, but Avenatti was a really ripe target - he stands accused of doing poo poo like refusing to transfer monetary awards to his (now) disabled clients and causing them to lose their SSI/disability payments. That's some real dark poo poo that is much, much worse than buying your kid's way into college.

A great example where SNL did this well was when they had Bannon sitting at the resolute desk with Trump at a kiddie desk with a few random toys. They shouldn't be afraid to absolutely savage powerful/rich/famous people - punching up and punching hard isn't only the right thing to do, it's often loving hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1118575683800895488

Does anyone still care about the Jonas brothers in 2019? I'm not sure if this is a case of me being too young, or too old, because I can't imagine the kids being into them.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

It's a cyclical thing. I'm in my early 30s and people my age seem to be super nostalgic for boy bands right now.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
They also got back together and have a hit song on the radio.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Huh...so I guess Antman really does save the MCU.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

jojoinnit posted:

The latter, though really just Kpop/Kdrama/Korean pop culture in general.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Huh...so I guess Antman really does save the MCU.

Here's hoping we get a Thanus sketch!

pwn
May 27, 2004

They’re really pushing for technical Emmys this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXJKfK_aMDI

And rightly so, good god, it never stops being impressive, the work that goes into getting this show on the air.

Remember when SNL would routinely re-use pre-taped segments, mainly commercial parodies? Not anymore. Probably because everything goes online after it airs, there’s little to wring out of it for further use. But the demands of the show remain, mainly to give the cast and crew time to set up the next live sketch, so much more original filmed pieces need to be made every week. Steve Higgins notes that they used to do maybe ten a year, now it’s about three a show.

And here’s a bit to get you hype for Sandman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b29ERi6halc

About the only Sandler sketches that can still be used nowadays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7DbWsjX6A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekadP5fRkw

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Did Operaman age poorly or is it that there's no way to make 2019 current events light-hearted like that?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I would think that with the current news of the Boy Scouts not turning over hundreds (thousands?) of names of pederasts to the proper authorities that Canteen Boy would fine to revisit.

It's been 25 years since that skit came out and it's still an issue that they haven't dealt with as an organisation until recently.

pwn
May 27, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Did Operaman age poorly or is it that there's no way to make 2019 current events light-hearted like that?
I meant that old sketches have a lot of problematic jokes, not that the characters couldn’t be done again.

A lot of gay jokes, a lot of rape jokes, amongst other things

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I would think that with the current news of the Boy Scouts not turning over hundreds (thousands?) of names of pederasts to the proper authorities that Canteen Boy would fine to revisit.

It's been 25 years since that skit came out and it's still an issue that they haven't dealt with as an organisation until recently.
The trouble with this is that, when the sketch first aired, a lot of people took it as a child molestation joke, and the show put a disclaimer in front of the sketch in repeats, stating that Canteen Boy is not a child, just an adult man with an avid love of scouting. So it would be nakedly cynical to, all these years later, try to change their story

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 30, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rodbeard posted:

It's a cyclical thing. I'm in my early 30s and people my age seem to be super nostalgic for boy bands right now.
Yeah but Backstreet Boys and 'NSYNC are legit.

Jonas Brothers are useless now except for Nick Jonas marrying Priyanka Chopra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

New thread is up early!