Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
After beating RAGE 2 I went back to Mad Max. I think MM has gotten even better with age - on release it was absolutely ripped apart by critics, while the consumer consensus was always much more favorable. It's the perfect 7/10 game.

The world building and effective use of the Mad Max license is what's really well done. It reminds me of that generation of officially licensed videogames in the 90's and 00's that were timed to release with a film, but changed just enough content to not be a direct adaptation. Unless the RAGE 2 DLC expands significantly on the game, I think it will be hard coming back to it after Mad Max. Both still pretty good games IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i feel like this game would have benefited from far cry type open world, where there is tons of fighting between factions and animals and just random poo poo. plus if you want the far cry games is accessible by just walking on foot and even an encourages it. rage 2 doesn't do that, which sucks because the shooting is fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Anti-Hero posted:

After beating RAGE 2 I went back to Mad Max. I think MM has gotten even better with age - on release it was absolutely ripped apart by critics, while the consumer consensus was always much more favorable. It's the perfect 7/10 game.

The world building and effective use of the Mad Max license is what's really well done. It reminds me of that generation of officially licensed videogames in the 90's and 00's that were timed to release with a film, but changed just enough content to not be a direct adaptation. Unless the RAGE 2 DLC expands significantly on the game, I think it will be hard coming back to it after Mad Max. Both still pretty good games IMO.

well mad max game also feels like the movies. everything is a desperate scramble and even if your well equipped, you maybe one tough fight away from needing to run back to a shelter.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
The new expansion thing, first DLC, was launched a few days ago. Tried it out; it's basically more of the same. There's a new area, new enemies who are very similar to all the previous bandits, a few new mechanics I guess. A bit of plot, a bunch of question marks of various kinds. There's a new weapon and a new ability as well but I haven't played that far yet.

There's an autopilot for your car (need to unlock it in the new area), that's fairly neat. And you can turn off overdrive to preserve some of the charge.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Mad Max game is perhaps one of the only games based on a movie that actually feels like the movies and is also a very enjoyable game. It’s weird. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did. It has a number of flaws and is very much a “play until you are bored and then put it down” type experience, but I put tens of hours into it and never regretted it.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Honestly the money and time that went into just cause 3 and 4 shouldve just went into Mad Max and everyone would be a lot happier

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The Mad Max game is perhaps one of the only games based on a movie that actually feels like the movies and is also a very enjoyable game. It’s weird. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did. It has a number of flaws and is very much a “play until you are bored and then put it down” type experience, but I put tens of hours into it and never regretted it.

I agree with this statement.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

HORMELCHILI posted:

Honestly the money and time that went into just cause 3 and 4 shouldve just went into Mad Max and everyone would be a lot happier

God, that game could've been truly amazing but it really is painfully obvious that they ran out of time and money for it.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

yeah it feels like they showed their proof of concept and the money was like "great make exactly that as fast as you can" instead of being like, able to flesh it out the way they had wanted. the writing is horrible though

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The boss fights are really surreal. It's basically the same dude and the same fight multiple times.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The really surreal part about the boss fights is that the red guys, the roadkill and the creepy buzzards (who are actually just normal russians in fury road but for some reason are crazy mole-people in the game) have their own variants that you see like, once. It really feels like there was supposed to be something.. more to those other two factions that never got fully conceptualized or implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So the first expansion (Ghosts something) was alright I guess, not great but not terrible. Basically more of the same. New map locations to clear; the new weapon is kinda meh but useful occasionally if you want to save ammo on your main guns; there's a bit of story which is just as bad as the main campaign but which doesn't really get in the way.

I finally got around to playing the second expansion as well, Terror something. That one is quite bad. Basically it's a handful of combat arenas, like five of them, against more-of-the-same enemies. You're locked to the new tiny zone until you finish all the arenas and then you end up back in the main world. The best thing is you get a cool new weapon during the arenas (have to finish one arena though to upgrade it a bit to be usable). So I guess if you this one very early on then you'll have more weapons for your main campaign. But as an after-campaign thing it's pointless.

Game is ok, but more as a snack than a main course. If you get the complete edition for cheap it might be cool if you ever get tired of Doom Eternal. The combat after all is kinda similar and not bad.