Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Everything changed three months ago. Halycon's always been a place where exceptional individuals gather. Mighty heroes and fiendish villains, brave men and women, Aliens from far away places and travellers from other times. And yet there was always limits lines that even the most tyrannical villains or violent heroes wouldn't cross. Until that day. Dr Mobius the mad scientist himself had taken exception to an article the Daily Herald had published, something about questioning the science behind some of his newest technology. Not that that's important now. So he did what any arrogant villain does and marches in and starts taking hostages. And that's where things started to go wrong.

The Phoenix, one of Halycon's greatest masked heroes was the first on the scene. No one knows exactly what happened although much forensic analysis and speculation is still ongoing. But the fight between the two got out of hand. Fire took hold in the building. Nobody knows the exact number of casualties but dozens of charred bodies have been recovered from the wreckage. Including the corpse of Dr Mobius himself. Of The Phoenix there has been no trace found. Although a nationwide manhunt is still underway police have no clue as to the identity of the man? woman? thing? behind the mask.

To prevent this from happening again, Senator Simon Anderson (I-HY) has proposed the Hero Registration Act (HRA) requiring all heroes to disclose their name and/or secret identity to the government and to submit to government testing and training to prevent another such incident occurring. Needless to say this has proven controversial and while some heroes have supported the move others have publicly denounced it. Already there have been demonstrations and counter-demonstrations, petitions and counter-petitions, and even it's rumoured actual fist fights between groups of heroes. As the bill makes it's way through Congress, Tensions in Halycon continue to grow and it would only take a spark to set them alight.

Better hope you're not that spark right?

- - - - -

Masks is a Superhero roleplaying game using the PBTA system. Focusing on Teen heroes, like in Teen Titans or Young Justice.

This game will be run on Discord for my convenience. A server is already up here if you want to ask more questions or get help and advice with your application.

Below is a few things for you to think about for your apps.

- Answer your playbook questions, art of your character is not strictly required but it'll definitely be a plus.
- In addition to the above answer the following question, Does your character support or oppose the HRA? Why?
- This game is going to be a little darker than usual and there will be a little more hero on hero violence than is usual. If people are uncomfortable with anything that comes up let me know and I'll fix it. as best as I can.
- :siren:Deadline for apps will be Saturday 13th April.:siren:
- Any more questions, let me know and i'll add them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Theme

• Who changed you?

That's a drat good question. I have my suspicions, of course, but these guys have covered their tracks pretty deeply... and I guess I can start from the beginning. The name is Eun Song. I was just an average nobody before all this — finishing up high school, worrying about getting into the right college, sneaking out to drink with my friends — but now? Now I'm some sort of super soldier.

It's hard to describe what I do, really, but it's like... If I look at someone, I know how to hurt them in ways you can't even imagine. If I pick something up, a gun or a sword or, hell, even a chair, I know how to use it to put the fear of god into just about anyone. It's a little more complicated than that, I guess, but I'm really good at fighting and I walked off a nuke once. Seriously. I'll get back to that in a sec.

So how'd I get from there to here? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I remember I'd just done my final presentation — we were defending policy proposals for government class, I was arguing for abolishing the military — and then... things get a little fuzzy. I walked back out to my car, then next thing I know I come to in this lab. It was some real mad science poo poo. Think, like, Clockwork Orange meets Professor Pandemonium's operating theatre. I don't remember a lot of what happened, some injections and like... You've seen the Matrix right? They downloaded all that fighting stuff right into my head.

The only clue I've got? There was this symbol that showed up a lot. Some sort of stylized bird, maybe like a raven or something. I haven't found anything on it on Google, which makes me guess this is some sort of extra shady secret organization.

• How did you escape from them?

Well, about that. You remember how I said I walked off a nuke? Yeah... I don't know what caused it, but I woke up to all of these alarms and sirens blaring. I walked around the labs, trying to figure out what the hell was going on and where I was, then the facility's self-destruct went off. The reactor went critical, I thought I was dead, the whole bit. Not even close. I wake up, a little bit smoldering, and I'm somewhere in a desert. That sucked more than the nuke. I was tired, thirsty, a little bit on fire, and the sun was just absolutely beating down on me.

I walked aimlessly for a bit and, uh, I found the bike. I think it must have gotten launched by the blast. Still worked, which rocked, so I used it to get to the highway... which is about when I figured out I'd ended up in Nevada somehow. From there, I just, uh, drove back to Halcyon. Took a while, but at least I wasn't on fire by the time I got back.

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

Well, not my folks. They think I'm dead and, honestly, until I figure out if I'm like secretly programmed to kill the president or something, I'm going to let them keep thinking that. I look different enough now that they probably won't recognize me, unless I slip up and get too close, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I've been crashing in this place above an auto shop. The owner, Finn Crawford, doesn't mind that I bunk there and he's been teaching me how to fix the bike up. I'm getting pretty good at it, but I guess having unholy amounts of torque goes a long way.

As far as I can figure, he thinks I'm a runaway. Not too far off, I guess.

• Why do you try to be a hero?

I've never thought of myself as a real good samaritan or anything, but something changes when you get power. I mean, there's really two ways to go when you can't ignore what you are: you step up and do what's right, or you let it twist you. I don't want to think I'm just a weapon, forged for whatever bizarre purpose those raven guys had, so that made my choice easy. I'll do what I can, because there's a lot of people out there — old me included — that can't.

• Why do you care about the team?

I mean, outside them being the only people in the city I can trust? That's a big part of it. Hell, that's most of it.

• Does your character support or oppose the HRA? Why?

So, uh, let me get this straight. The government can't keep students from getting kidnapped off the streets of Halcyon by god knows who and you want me to believe that they're going to use this secret identity info and powers and weaknesses and all that to stop... what exactly? Like, yeah, the Pheonix poo poo sucked. It's bad news. Would knowing who they were have stopped it from going down? Training is probably a pretty good idea, though, I'd honestly be down for that.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this: do I trust them to do the right thing with that info? Hell no. They're probably going to put that poo poo in an unencrypted database that any two-bit hack can steal and upload to the internet.

quote:

Hero Name: Rebellion
Look: Woman, Korean, Battered Hands, Casual Clothing, No Costume
Abilities: Superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting.

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:
❑ In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.
❑ Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

The Bull’s Heart:
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 7, 2019

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Well met. I am Myrrha, a level 200 Enchantress and Monster Tamer.

What do you mean you don't know what a level is? Ugh... Next you're going to tell me that you people don't have item boxes.

... Seriously?

Ugh, what is up with this world? It's so weird. At least you have magic, right?

... right?

quote:

Where do you come from?

From Mallaras, another world. You may remember that five years ago our worlds were connected via a portal. The villain that opened said portal invaded our world with his army of metal golems, but was crushed by our armies before we launched a counter-attack. I must apologize about that, we were not aware that they were a rogue soldier. I'm glad we were able to clear up that misunderstanding.

Ahem. Either way, the Kingdom of Pleiades is my birthplace, and I am on quite good terms with the royal family.

quote:

Why did you come to Earth?

There are two reasons, really. One is personal, one is not.

By royal degree, I was ordered to keep an eye on the situation on this side of the portal. We have sent a number of diplomats and opened up an embassy, but there are still a lot of uncertain things. Quite franky, nobody is quite sure how to interact with this other world. One of my duties is to evaluate how trustworthy your people are.

The other... Well, I consider myself a craftswoman by heart. I enjoy creating things, so experiencing an entirely new world is a great source of inspiration. While your people are so much weaker than ours on average, I can't deny that your craftsmen are rather ingenious.

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

This world is a treasure trove of strange materials, items, and ideas. I want to take as many home with me as I can to study and perhaps replicate them.

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

I am a very skilled enchantress by trade. Since those are rather rare, I am very valuable to the Kingdom of Pleiades. A place like this is potentially very dangerous, so people are worried about me. But they always are. I'm constantly being berated because I gather my own materials... sigh.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

I'm the first to admit that I'm not invincible. I don't like fighting that much, as evidenced by my professions. As such, I appreciate the protection they provide. ... and the companionship. It's nice to be seen as a person rather than a national treasure once in a while, you know?

quote:

Does your character support or oppose the HRA? Why?

The HRA is a farce. One thing that does not seem to be any different in this world is that you cannot trust the government. I am aware that I am saying this despite being close to a royal family, but after the time I have spent with politicians I have realized one thing: You can't trust politicians. Even the ones that like you. Especially the ones that like you. They are the ones that don't even realize they're trying to use you. I consider each proposal by the royal family very carefully.

These... 'heroes', as you call them, are a powerful force that the government does not control. The HRA is simply an attempt to control them. It may sound nice on paper, but there are far too many ways the government can force people that submit to it do their bidding. Blackmail, hostages, weapons specifically designed to target their weaknesses...

I don't trust this whatsoever.

quote:

Name: Myrrha
Secret Identity: Noelle Nerielle
Abilities: Magical Equipment (Alien Weaponry), Monster Taming (Stunning Beauty/Pheromones), Flight, Super-Toughness

Moves

Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Not so different after all: When you talk about your home, roll + Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the
conversation, you:
- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition
On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now.

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Stats:

Freak: +2
Danger: -1
Savior: +0
Superior: +2
Mundane: +0

Moment of Truth

You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Relationships

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
If you’re haughty, you think you’re better than them. Give no one Influence.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 7, 2019

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Shadow Cat, the Janus

quote:

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?

Imagine, for a second, that you're someone who's completely average. Like, painfully so. There's nothing about you that really sticks out. You're just another face in the crowd. You're someone who's so dull, and so average, that most people quickly forget about you after meeting you.

But you have that one thing. That one thing that makes you you, that makes you special. You have something that helps you stand out from everybody else. You have a real, actual, superpower... but you can't use it. Your parents absolutely hate super-powered individuals, and you're forced to listen to their rants in silence, and you know, if they found out about that one aspect about you... then they won't exactly take kindly to it. Can you imagine how much that would eat away with you? To be forced to hide that one thing that makes you special?

I couldn't stand it. I had to do something, so, I put on an old Halloween costume I had stashed away, put on a mask, snuck out of my house late at night, and 'patrolled' the streets, stopping whatever crime I came across.

And it felt amazing. There was something so freeing about it, and the rush I felt was incredible. I was saving people. I was making an actual difference. I wasn't that boring, average girl anymore. I was a hero. Someone who people can actually remember. There was no way I was going to stop after one night, so I'd do it again, and again, and again, and got bolder, and flashier about it. I'd leave calling cards, letting whatever villain I had in my sights know that they can "never escape from their shadow."

There's a Shadow Cat fanclub in my school. An actual fanclub! And I've seen people wearing pins of that little cat symbol I put on all my calling cards. I almost couldn't believe it! It takes every ounce of restraint I have to not just tell them that I'm the Shadow Cat they all look up to. As much as it sucks, I still have to keep it a secret, after all, especially from my parents.

quote:

• Why do you keep a secret identity?

My parents, for one. But other than them... Well, things have sorta... changed, after that big incident with Phoenix. There're a lot more people like my parents who're speaking up about their distaste for powered individuals, and are for the Registration Act, and if certain people found out that I was the big, vigilante hero Shadow Cat, then... I don't actually want to think about what would happen, honestly. But I can't stop. I won't stop. I don't want to be boring, old average Helene again. I want to be someone that's known, and remembered.

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

...Alright, so, I miiiiiiiiight've slipped up a little, and told my bff Holly that I was Shadow Cat. Look, I had to tell somebody, okay!? Holly and I've been friend's since elementary school, and she's someone I know I can trust. She's been a real big help. She helped me design the outfit I'm wearing now, and she's the one who came up with the calling card idea. We've also been working in the same coffee shop, and she's been doing her best to cover for me whenever I need to go and do big hero stuff. She's like the big sis I've never had, and boy, let me tell you, I'm so glad I have someone I can talk to about all this.

quote:

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

I've mentioned my parents already, but my dad's the most out-spoken one about it. He's a cop, and as you've probably guessed, he's got nothing nice to say about Shadow Cat, which makes family dinners really awkward, but he's not the only one. There's also my boyfriend, Jake. Jake... hates people with powers. He's never told me why he hates them so much. He thinks the world would be a better place without them. I've tried to get him to open up about it, but he never does, and yeah, you're probably wondering why I'm still with someone who's like that, and it's... complicated, I guess? He's actually a really sweet guy, but things have been a little... weird between us. He's been a little more withdrawn lately, like something's been bothering him, and I don't know what it is.

I like him, a lot, but I just don't know where things are going to go between us. I dunno. It's weird. Can we just... move onto the next question, please?

quote:

It was Holly's idea, actually. Things are going to get tougher from here on out, and she told me it might be best if I find a crew of people I can trust, and I guess I don't mind sharing the spotlight with a few others. I've been going at it solo for a while now, so it'll be a nice change of pace, and hey, it could be fun, too!

quote:

...Come on, do I really need to answer that? If word got out about who I am, that's it for me. My life might as well be over. I want to be remembered, sure, but not like that, and I don't want to stop what I'm doing. And the whole thing doesn't sit right with me. Yea, the Phoenix thing is terrible, but I like the idea of all my info being public knowledge, and come on, you know they're going to misuse it in someway!

quote:

Hero Name: Shadow Cat
Look: Woman, white, boring clothing, flashy costume, small mask

Abilities:
❑ Energy absorption
❑ Impossible mobility

Labels:
Danger +0
Freak -1
Savior +0
Superior +0
Mundane +3

Moves:
❑ The Mask:
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Superior
Once per session, you can affirm either your hero or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask's Label.
When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential

❑ Game face:
When you commit yourself to save someone or defeat a terrible enemy, mark a condition and take +1 ongoing to all rolls in direct pursuit of that goal. At the end of any scene in which you don’t make progress towards that goal, mark a condition. When you fulfill your goal, mark potential.

❑ Dangerous web:
When you reveal a trap you’ve left for someone using your powers, roll + your mask’s Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation

Secret Identity:
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Jobs: Barista

School: Schoolwork

Social: Significant other

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are going to bite you in the butt.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

Moment of Truth:
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 12, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Red Witch, the Nova
(Real Name: Ashley "Ash" Fear)

quote:

When did you first use your powers?

It wasn't really too much of a surprise to my parents when I manifested mine at a young age. They weren't too worried when I teleported out of my crib, since showing potential at that age was good. And uh, they had some powers too so they could handle me. They laughed when I magically took things I wanted, after telling me not to do that. They, uh, weren't so happy when I was home alone watching a scary movie, freaked out, and blew up the house.

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

My older brother was the one who had convinced me to watch it with him, but...he got hurt. Really bad. He...he had to go to the hospital. Thankfully he turned out okay! No permanent damage, but my parents realized just how much power I had. Not just certain powers, like how some people from my family specialized in certain types of magic, but actual fundamental control over the forces of magic itself. So, uh, after some consulting with a bunch of people, they talked options with me. And it seems that Halcyon City not only needs heroes, but provides for them! So they arranged for me to move here, and uh, here I am!

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

One day I was out exploring the city, trying to keep everything under control when I ran into a hero who calls herself Twilight Sorceress. She's really friendly, and wanted to meet me ever since she realized I was in the city. It's uh, kind of something a lot of magic users know. Even without the, um, occasional accidents that happen, a lot of people with magical abilities can sense when someone like me is around because of the effect I have on the world. She's a little older then me, so it was nice to talk to someone close to my age.

Problem is she refuses to support the Registration Act. Her choice, but I hope it doesn't cause any trouble for her later.

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?

I mean, really my only other option would be to just isolate myself and try not to magically explode again. But...these powers are kind of a part of me, right? And...and I figure, if this is a part of me and I can use it to help people, why not focus on that? Why not be a superhero, for those who can't? Especially now, considering what's going on. It's even more important then it was before.

quote:

Because they're also helping out the best they can. And it's nice to have people who are like me in some way, even if they aren't as powerful. And friends, because I always like friends.

quote:

Support. I have no issue with letting people know who I am. Maybe it'll, uh, you know help. Help give me motivation to not screw up so much, to keep my powers under control? Because if people know who did damage to the city, they'll be real mad and I really don't want that! Ha ha ha....ha...um, but that's not going to happen. Not with a team like this!

quote:

Look:
Man, White, Casual clothing, Colorful costume

Abilities:
You can fundamentally control the world around you. Choose one option from the list as the broad base of your control over the world around you.

Sorcery

Labels

Freak +2, Danger +2, Savior +0, Superior 0, Mundane -1

Moves:

When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 Burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 Burn, and mark 3 conditions.

Spend your Burn on your Flares.

Choose 4 Flares at the start of the game.

Shielding: You call up a fast protective field to stop a danger. Spend 1 Burn to defend someone else from an immediate threat, rolling + Freak instead of + Savior.

Worship: You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.

Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Snatch: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Moment of Truth
It’s like your mind’s eye opens up, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you see fear in their eyes. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Relationships

You hang out all the time with __________________, to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence

Choose your demeanor: Happy facade or locked down.

If you choose happy facade, give influence to 3 teammates.

When our team first came together…

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 12, 2019

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Halimede, the Nomad

quote:

• Who took you from the Earth when you were younger?

A flying saucer. For serious!

I was five, my family was driving cross-country - real wholesome American stuff. Dad had insisted on getting to...Albuquerque, I think?...even though it was dark. We saw lights. Mom said it was just jets.

Then we got abducted by the Naax'ud Syndicate. A branch of it, at least. You'll have trouble finding bigger shits than the Naax'ud. Thieves, murders and slavers. They like to scout out distant worlds and pick up 'test stock'.

Like my family.

quote:

• What farscapes did you explore?

For the first five years, mostly the insides of really dirty freighters. Not a great way to grow up. The Naax'ud wanted to test us in various realms - strength, agility, intelligence. So it was a month working in some ship scrapyard doing salvage. A month in a duranium mine. A month doing repair and assembly. Sometimes the monotony would get broken up. Once they cleaned us up and sent us to some casino planet, to serve as wait staff.

But those monsters didn't realize how much trouble humans could be, or how clever. When they thought they were testing us, they were also training us. Fights broke out on transports something regular, but one time, my parents got in on it, and somehow stoked it up to a full blown riot.

After that, I found out the rest of the galaxy isn't so bad. We escaped with a bunch of Tlareons, so we headed for their home first. It was *amazing*. I mean, I know now that they're just a mid-tier stellar power, but when you're ten, and you've only ever seen the underside of factory cities, it was *amazing*. And the people were nice! Genuinely ahppy to see us. They'd never met humans before, and we were sort of minor heroes, having helped free a bunch of Tlareons from the Naax'ud. With the reward we got a small explorer and actually started exploring around! I mean mom was over the moon, she'd been in the air force but never though she'd be a space traveller.

quote:

• Who was your favorite traveling companion?

Oh man. I'm supposed to say my family, right? And, don't get me wrong, they're great. About two years in, we met Layala.

She was the outcast second daughter of a Rhi'nar merchant family, with a cool rebel edge to that innate Rhi'nari nobility they have. Exactly the kind of person an impressionable teen would want to take after.

After I got separated from my parents, Layala and I knocked around the edge of the Nassarian Expanse, Layala as a freelancer, with me as her sidekick. I learned a ton,a nd it was an adventure! For a while, anyway....

quote:

• What brought you back to stay (for now)?

Being a free-wheeling freelancer...that was fun, but it couldn't last forever, even if I wanted it to. We'd been on their trail for weeks when we finally found the ship.

Right, so....I had to bring them back to Earth. And I'd never even met my grandparents.

quote:

Now, there's where it gets tricky. Layala and I were pretty somber on the way back to Earth.

I knew Earth wasn't an interstellar civilization, but I hadn't realized how backwards it was! Not even interplanetary! No global government! No unified infonet! We slide into a stealth orbit and sifted what we could, figuring out more or less where I was from.

Nothing. I didn't know enough, and I couldn't ask. I didn't have any keepsakes. I pieced together the last bits of what I remembered, and arranged to bury my parents in a cemetary near the Grand Canyon. Strange that coming so late, it still felt right.

Then I didn't want to leave. I foudn myself curious, about Earth, about other humans. As soon as I started interacting with them, I realized how detached I'd been. They immediately pegged me as a 'superhero', which...alright, that's sort of what I'd been doing with Layala, right?

We talked it over and decided I'd say for a little while, to learn about people. Humans. All the things an adolescent Human *would* have learned. And Layala will come back for me, and things will get back to normal.

Until then, I need some humans to hang with, and if I'm going to do that, why not a team of superheroes? They're all different, not bland and the same like most humans!

quote:

• In addition to the above answer the following question, Does your character support or oppose the HRA? Why?

I seriously don't have a varn in this fight. I'm only going to be here a few months. I *guess* if I had to take a side I'd be for it? Governments are supposed to protect people from danger, even if they don't alway do a good job at it. And just because Earthers don't know they're *laughably* outclassed by other things in the galaxy....I suppose it makes sense in an only-Earth context.

quote:

Name: Halimede
Look: Woman, white, sculpted body, extraterrestrial clothing, eccentric boots

Stats:
Danger 0
Freak +2
Savior -1
Superior +3
Mundane -1

Abilities: Anti-Grav Pack, Modular Blaster

Moves:

The Littlest Space Bandit: When you directly engage a threat that underestimates you, roll +Superior instead of +Danger.

Sharpened Eyes: When you assess the situation, you may always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
-What's my best way out/way in/way past?
-What here would be handy to grab?
-Who here is susceptible to my words?

Putting Down Roots:

You have one foot out the door, and it shows. Over time, you may be able to commit to this place.

Adults do not have Influence over you by default. No one does.
• You can only give a total of 6 Influence.
• During play, you can only give Influence by revealing a vulnerability or weakness to someone. You can still give out Influence through the end of session move. You cannot give influence to somebody who already has Influence over you.
Others cannot take Influence over you. If they would, instead they choose: mark potential or inflict a condition on you.
You reject Influence at -2 by default, instead of at +0
• When someone takes advantage of their Influence over you they can choose two options.
At the end of a session, you can take back 1 Influence from someone you choose.
If you have given out 0 Influence you cannot comfort or support anyone. If you would trigger that move, instead mark a condition as you say exactly the wrong thing. IF you have given out 0 Influence, and someone tries to comfort or support you, you cannot open up to them.
You gain benefits based on how much Influence you have given out. See below, these benefits stack.

❑ 1-2 Influence: When you defend someone who has Influence over you, you can ignore the Insecure condition. When you directly engage someone who has Influence over you, you can ignore the Afraid condition.
❑ 3 Influence: When you take a powerful blow from someone with In uence over you, take -2 to the roll.
❑ 4 Influence: When you pierce the mask of someone who has In uence over you, you can always ask them one question, even on a miss.
❑ 5 Influence: When you spend a Team to help someone who has In uence over you, it gives them +2.
❑ 6 Influence: When you accept the words of someone who has In uence over you, mark potential, clear a condition, or take +1 forward.

When Our Team First Came Together:
We had to deal with a danger I'd met while travelling the farscapes. What was it, and how did we send it away?

Relationships:
__________________ knows plenty that I don’t about this world, its people, and how to deal with them; I should follow their lead while I’m here.
__________________ is...well...boring. But that’s okay! I’m going to make them more interesting.

Influence:
You’re here, but not, and it’s going to take some time before you really commit. Give no one Influence over you.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 11, 2019

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Interest, maybe a Solider

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Backstory to come.

Ren "Wizkid" Kido
Ambiguous East Asian with laughing eyes, cheap costume, and casual clothing.

Abilities
Your powers messy, deceiving, or frustrating.
  • Teleportation (via electric current)
  • Gadgetry and hacking (via possession)
That is to say, the Freakazoid powerset.

Labels
Freak +1
Danger +0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Backstory
  • How did you get your powers?
  • What do you do for fun?
  • Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
  • Why do you try to be a hero?

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _______ with your antics.
You and _______ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates influence over you.

CONDITIONS:
□ Afraid (-2 to directly engage)
□ Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
□ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
□ Insecure (-2 to stand in defense or reject what others say)
□ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)

Delinquent Moves:
  • Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.
  • Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking action, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.
  • Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7- 9, choose 2.
    • You get an opportunity.
    • You expose a weakness or flaw.
    • You confuse them for some time.
    • You avoid further entanglement.
    On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.
Moment of Truth
Flaunt the rules. Break them. When push comes to shove, in the moment that it really matters, you show them what it means to do the right thing, and ignore whatever restrictions, boundaries, orders, or rules they throw in your way. Of course, those rules were in place for a reason…

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you're cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. Either way, add a team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them influence over you, and ask them who they'd like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. Add a team to the pool no matter what.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Probably apping a thing because I can't help myself.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Astrid the Legacy

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?
Eight months ago. To an outside observer, it looked like I got struck by lightning. Then caught a bus - literally.

Valkyries are partly what you know from myth, but mostly not. They were badass warrior women who protected the earth. But a team of them were cursed by a mystic, and can no longer die properly - their souls can never move on, so they eventually find their way back to earth, seek out a girl with the wisdom to wield their strength wisely, and bond with them. The bonding makes them stronger, faster and tougher. If, through action, they prove themselves worthy, the soul eventually awakens and two fight as one. Full armour, weapons, wings. Its pretty epic. If they don't prove themselves, the soul finds someone more suitable, and the powers wane.

Bodil recognized me officially straight after Astrid bonded to me. But just between us, I think she hates me. No Valkyrie soul has ever bonded to a guy before. She doesn't let me forget it, and I think she wants me to fail.

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?
Oh, probably the slaying of Jörmungandr, the world serpent, where an expedition led by noble Gunhild strove into the blah blah blah.

We've been around long enough that there are a lot of huge, impressive sounding 'accomplishments' that are bordering on the mythic, and entirely unverifiable. If you want a real show of force, look back no further than the Apex invasion in 2002. It was a team of Valkyries that finally killed The Archmagnus. They died detonating the aliens' Core-ship. That's why there's only three of us on Midgard right now. The rest are in the aether, waiting to return.

The people of earth owe them more than you know.

How does the public perceive your legacy?
Not great, honestly. The media have been against us since the 1920's, when William Randolph Hearst labelled Aslaug a communist, an unaccountable vigilante, and 'the greatest threat America has ever faced.' Seriously. Nowadays the motto is "A Valkyrie don't talk about doing, she simply does."

Basically, we right wrongs, avert catastrophe, fight evil and injustice, and absolutely never talk to the press. We're above such things, aloof and impartial. Personally, I think getting Bodil to eat a ghost pepper on youtube would do wonders for our popularity, but I'd never say that to her face.

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?
I don't know why I'm a part of it. I won't unless Astrid awakens and I get the chance to ask why she chose me. But I have sort of an idea.

There's a Sikh thing - the kirpan. Its a little ceremonial sword or dagger. Its supposed to remind us to be ready to fight at any given moment. To have the courage and strength of character to stand against evil and protect the oppressed. To embody the concept of a Sant Sipahi - a warrior-saint - and become a living weapon against tyrants. Someone who will never start a fight, but will absolutely end one.

I've never been that connected to my religion, but I always thought about this a lot. I think its the sort of person I want to be, and I think its why I was picked.

The Valkyries are full of old traditions. Endless baggage. Until me, they were exclusively women. My unawakened powers make me stronger than most, but Bodil and Hertha make me look like an infant. It's so hard to know what my place is with them, or if I'll ever be welcome.

So, almost by default, the new team feels more like a home.

We have no official stance on the HRA. As usual. I guess we're supposed to consider it beneath our concern or some crap.

Personally speaking? My uncle died in the fire that spurred this legislation on. Phoenix should.. he shouldn't be able to just disappear like that. I already hate if a cop gets away with killing someone. Why should I feel any different when a superhero does it? If nothing else, how can we expect people to trust us if we can't be held accountable?

People with impossible powers should be held to impossible standards.

quote:

Hero Name: Astrid

Look: Man, South Asian, comfortable clothing, traditional costume, runic insignia

Abilities
Divine armor, magic weaponry, mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +1

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .
You trust _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence
You're a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give
Influence to all of your teammates.

Legacy Moves
❑ Words of the past:
When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

❑ Never give up, never surrender:
When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- You get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- You rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- You keep your attacker’s attention
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.
Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):

Bodil (Jennifer Pine) is still active and prominent in the city.
Hertha (Alice Taylor) is the next possible member of your legacy.
Haskell the Old is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- Have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- Have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- Have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are a true, genuine hero. Of course, after you prove something like that, it’s going to be hard to justify going back to the Team…

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don't, shift Superior up and any other label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a Condition and give them Influence over you.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 9, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Apping something, I think

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Probably will app

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Probably gonna pull out my go-to Beacon.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I wasn't feeling the Brain, but I think I do actually feel like I could pull out a Newborn

Joy, the Newborn
Clay at rest
Clay in combat

Throughout myth and legend there have been a myriad of stories and tales of beings of clay given life by the gods. From Enkidu of ancient Mesopotamia, Galatea of Pygmalion's creation, the Golem of Prague, various origin stories of mankind, from the most basic of materials utilized from the dawn of time great and powerful beings have been created for good or for ill.

And from this extended lineage of delicate craft-work and life given from unliving matter comes the most recent addition to this list, known very simply as Joy.

• Who created you, and why?

Helena "Catalyst" Vinci; respected chemist, world's most famous living alchemist, retired and venerated superhero and former team-mate of the Phoenix the most wanted man in the Americas. Helena had been on the same team as the Phoenix and had fought alongside them on many occasions before the team went their separate ways, Phoenix to pursue his solo career and Helena into retirement due to her advancing age. And when the news broke of the disaster at the Daily Herald she was very firmly needled on all sides by the press, public and law enforcement as to the identity of the Phoenix of which she firmly states (or at least claims) she has no knowledge of, and yet despite her protests they continued to hound her week in week out to the point when eventually she withdrew from the public spotlight.

Faced with an impossible situation of being bombarded with questions she had no answers to, and a sense of guilt over having in her own eyes failed to protect one of her closest companions when he would have needed her the most, she finally made a fateful decision. In her long career as a superhero she had gathered a collection of incredibly rare items of providence, including but not limited to the tools of various mythical craftsmen, an ancient kiln of which the first Golems were said to have been created, and a few scant shards of clay said to have belonged to a certain Mesopotamian figure of myth. She took these items and with the painstaking work of months in isolation did something that no other craftsmen magical or otherwise had achieved in hundreds of years, she created life.

And finally when some of her apprentices finally entered her house after months of no contact, they found a carefully tidied workshop with no sign of the missing Alchemist and a cylindrical kiln locked with naught to identify it's origin or purpose but a single note penned in her distinctive copperplate.

"For my greatest failure, I present my last greatest work. May you be the hero the world needs.
-Helena"

• How are you different from humans?

"Joy is clay given life through processes that not even Joy understands. Joy can change what Joy looks like from the outside, Joy can shape Joy into a variety of shapes and sizes, Joy can even absorb more clay to become even larger in size, but other than that Joy is clay and water throughout with a few shards of old, old clay that seem to be the source of either Joy's power and/or Joy's life. This means Joy is very, very difficult to stop because Joy is incapable of feeling pain or being harmed by mundane means, good superhero qualities yes?"

• Who, outside of the team, is your caretaker?

"Watson (pictured right), Locksley (pictured middle) and Holt (pictured left). This, this is what Joy assumes they are called, Joy has never heard them called by any other names but Watson, Locksley and Holt either amongst themselves or by anyone that talks to them. Joy has been given to understands the care of Joy was given to Watson, Locksley and Holt by the Ms. Vinci who is missing because they were her apprentices that she was training before the events that eventuated, and they are the only people who might know how to repair Joy? Joy does not understand the relationship between these three humans and Joy is afraid to ask in case Joy makes Joy look very silly and uninformed."

• What about humanity fascinates you the most?

"When Joy was introduced to the team as a living clay statue brought to life by intense magics, the first in perhaps hundreds of years since records began no batted an eyelid. You are surrounded by people with powers great and abilities varied in all manners of shades and colours and it is of no consequence in your eyes. Your planet exists on an impossible precipice where if it was a few feet closer to the sun life as you know it might not have happened, the world that you live in is wonderful, full of amazing miracles that to every man, woman and child on the street are utterly mundane and normal."

"You live amongst wonders and you don't seem to realize this, why? It is very, very strange."

"Joy has been alive in the world for less than a month. Joy knows only a small selection of people who Joy would consider important in Joy's life, and you are the all-encompassing humanity of Joy's meagre existence to do what is right for reasons she does not know yet."

"Is this what is called trust?"

"Joy does not understand. Joy's identity is Joy, Joy's hidden persona is Joy, Joy is... Joy is Joy. People have tried to explain about the problem with or support for the HRA and Joy fails to understand the point, so many have given up."

"But Joy is told the law should be followed and it is very important Joy does this so, yes?"

quote:

Hero Name: Joy
"Real" Name: Joy
Look: Clay, Clay, Clay Skin, Immaculate Clothing, No Costume
Abilities: Elemental Form, Fantastic Elasticity. - "Joy is made of clay, this gives Joy things only Joy can do because Joy is easily to mould."

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +3
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane -2

Newborn Moves

❑ Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.

❑ Regeneration: When you’re taken out, you can trigger an emergency regeneration process. If you do, your body undergoes an unpredictable transformation, and in mere moments, you’re back on your feet and ready to fight. Clear three conditions and choose three from the list below:
- Change your gender identity or presentation
- Change your physical appearance
- Forget all your lessons
- Lose an important memory of a teammate; they lose Influence over you
- Swap an ability with another one from the Newborn playbook

A Blank Slate
You were created with a basic understanding of the world. When you learn something that helps you make sense of the world, write it down as a lesson. Fill in two lessons when you create your character; fill in the other two when you’ve learned those lessons during play.

❑ I am _ _ _ _ _ _
❑ A superhero should follow the law
❑ Always _ _ _ _ _ _
❑ Never allow innocents to come to harm.

When you embody one of your lessons, shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice. If you cause a misunderstanding, collateral damage, or unintended consequences in the process, mark potential. When you reject one of your lessons, reject its Influence as if it were an NPC. If you choose to have it lose Influence over you, erase that lesson and write a new one in its stead.

When you approach your creator or caretakers with a problem, tell them what obstacle you face or what you need to achieve, and they will offer you something you need. The GM chooses one:
• secret information
• a way to temporarily boost or expand your powers
• access to instruments, weapons, or resources
• official and explicit backing
If you accept their help, they rewrite one of your lessons for you.

The team discovered you during the incident; thanks to them, you reached the outside world and helped in the fight. Where and how did they find you? Who gave you your first nickname?

Moment of Truth

Something snaps into focus, and suddenly you’re a full thing, true and complete. You’d never have known how fragmented you were before, if not for here, this moment. You’re not a series of individual lessons. You’re not a series of subroutines and programs. You’re…a person. This must be what it’s like to be…human. And this fullness? It gives you a control over yourself, a unity of purpose you’ve never experienced before. Of course, now that you’re showing off all your potential, it’s only a matter of time before someone comes forward to reduce you to a machine again…

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them what makes them proud or happy about the actions they took and write a lesson based on it, either filling an empty slot or replacing an existing lesson.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, if their response helps you understand human feelings and problems, mark potential. If their response confuses or offends you, shift your Freak up and your Mundane down.

Relationships

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ is an exemplary human; they show you around and tell you how things work.
The behavior of _ _ _ _ _ _ _ confuses you again and again; you’re determined to understand humanity better by studying them.

Influence

You’re receptive to how people think and behave around you. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 14, 2019

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Knight Ruby Alexanderite, alongside his Lance of Knight Onix, Knight Sapphire, Knight Amber, and Knight Amethyst doing battle with a giant foe

"We who come from the void beyond hath sworn to bathe the world in the glow of justice's light!"

The Chromatic Knights are a race of sentient star people who arrived on earth some 20 years ago. Despite their advanced tech, their culture seems similar to medieval Arthurian knights, though split into five houses, named for the colour of their light, and a precious gem. They operate a central court, where the nobles gather to engage in politics and backstabbing.

Known for their prowess in combat. The Knights operate in five man squads with a representative from each of the houses. Taking to their knight forms to do battle.

quote:

• What tragedy or disaster led to you gaining your abilities?

For the early part of my life, I served as a Noble Sun. Little was expected of me beyond learning the arts of the Great Houses. After all I was a Heir to the Ruby Throne. I could have chosen to follow the Solar Scholar's path. To join with the Astaras observatory, and lived a quiet life of study and theology. But that was not the fate that called to me. Not on that day.

All members of the Noble Houses are expected to make diplomatic missions to Earth, alongside our military commitments. The nations of the earth need to understand we are here not as enemies but as allies in the fight against evil. Even if that definition of 'evil' appears malleable depending on who we're talking too. Such is the cost of Diplomacy. Regardless, I was part of a small envoy mission to the Armager Science Labs in Central Europe. They were in the midst of creating a space flight engine, lightweight, powerful, and low on fuel expenditure. It was a triumph for the lab. So obviously, it was a target for the villainous. Starting with a surprise self destruction of our guide. It turns out they were some kind of synthetic android remotely controlled. It was certainly surprising.

The Solar Scholars have an unspoken rule. That to use the natural powers of our kind is... uncivilised, for one dedicated to the scholarly arts. I had certainly never reached for them, even during my days of training as a child in the ways of war. But in that moment. Lying there amongst the dust and the rubble. Ears ringing, inner light pulsing, the taste of plasma on my lips. I felt... invigorated. Alive in a way that I never had before. I stood from the rubble, and advanced on the invading force. I fell upon them like a Nova. Like a solar flare stripping a planet. I stood victorious! Yet disgraced. I was returned to the Starhold, and was stripped of my position amongst the Scholars. The highest shame they could bestow on me. Even as the Heir to the Ruby Throne, I needed to absolve myself of my crime. Such are the political games of the Chromatic Courts.

quote:

• What inspired you to officially join The Chromatic Knights?

At this stage, the only way to overcome the social stigma was to walk one of the others paths. To start again, from the bottom. To remove the privilege of my birthright, and to live as the Lesser houses do. My pride stung. But in the face of taking the Throne as an honerless curr... there was no choice.

I enlisted within the Ruby Knights. Moving into the barracks, and began my training anew. Far below the rank of Knight, a Squire. But my dedication won me praise. Specifically for my willingness to march unflinchingly into enemy fire. I was raised to the rank of Questor. And again, acquitted myself with distinction. Finally. I was granted the rank of Knight. The lowest starting rank of a Noble Sun. I was far from forgiven. But having proven myself worthy of Nobility, I can finally start redeeming myself in the eyes of the Court.

quote:

• What does The Chromatic Knights do for the world that no one else can?

The Chromatic Knights are deployed across the world in Five-Lance teams. Providing rapid response to any threat that rears it's ugly head. And ugly is an accurate description. Monster attacks are a common problem. With central command assigning strike duty from the Starhold. Our Astral Fort class command craft, orbiting Luna. The Monster's on their own are a threat. But recently they've been growing to gigantic size. Aided by an unknown foe. Never mind the disturbing reports of Knights in the livery of an unknown House.

quote:

• Who, outside of The Chromatic Knights and the team, connects you to the civilian world?

Major Aelissa Armiger has been the forward contact with the Chromatic Knights since the day we arrived within your Solar System. She was previously an astronaut, her ship getting caught in the great crusade as we chased a pod of Skillarthi bio rippers away from populated systems. We were understandably concerned to discover your world. The Starhold elected to stay behind to guard Earth and it's people, while the rest of the fleet continued on it's way. As such Madam Armiger has the most experience dealing with us, though I understand there are times we are something of a... difficult culture for her at time.

However, in my case, it is her daughter who is a more constant presence.

Melissa Armiger has proven not to have the mature temperament and even measure of her mother. But instead burns like the heart of a binary star. She is wrathful, passionate, driven, and not afraid to punch above her station. She has been responsible for... welcoming me into human society and teaching me the basics expected of a "teenager", and I'm not sure if I should be impressed or slightly terrified.

quote:

"A Knight is duty bound to lead and be led. A lance lives and dies by it's teamwork. No house can stand alone." These are quotes from the Code. The articles of duty that all warriors of the Chromatic Knights must live by. Besides... it's rare we get to live amongst humans. Even the Lances deployed around the world live and train together.

quote:

It is not my duty to comment on your policies. The Chromatic Knights have a duty towards maintaining peace. I do feel... it's... perhaps unjust to punish those who seek to find justice of good over evil.

quote:

Hero Name: Knight Ruby.
Real Name: Alexanderite, Son of Lord Regius the Flame Keeper, Noble Heir of The Noble House of Ruby,
Look Man, White, lean body, comfortable clothing, military uniform
Abilities
A.E.G.I.S. found you before you got full control of your abilities. They helped you master your gifts, maybe even augmented them with some new tech. Now you have an opportunity to do some good, using your powers to protect and serve humanity. Choose any two of the following.

- superstrength and durability
- an alternate/monstrous form

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +0
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +0

Soldier Moves

Before we get started:
When you have time to closely observe your opposition before a fight, roll + Savior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and mark a condition. During the fight, you can spend your hold to name a character you observed and...:●
• ...redirect their attack to another character or nowhere—into a wall or the sky.
• ...cross a distance between them and you.
• ...stun them, close up or from a distance.
• ...ignore all harm from one of their attacks.
• ...escape any bindings or impediments they attempt to place on you.

More than a shield:
When you directly engage a threat by heading directly into danger without regard for your own safety, roll with Savior instead of Danger. On a miss, your focused attack leaves someone in grave danger; the GM will tell you what it takes to keep them safe.

Higher Calling...
You work for a metahuman law enforcement agency (The Chromatic Knights) that keeps the world safe from all manner of superhuman, supernatural, and extraterrestrial threats. You volunteered to work with a team of young superheroes as part of a new Chromatic Knight program designed to keep Halcyon City safe. You have an additional Label:

SOLDIER -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3

Soldier functions like any other Label. Characters with Influence over you can shift it, and you mark a condition if it would ever shift above +3 or below -2. You can only cancel the influence The Cromatic Knights. holds over you with the appropriate advancement. You cannot lock Soldier with a Moment of Truth.

When you’re acting on orders and relying on your training, give The Chromatic Knights influence to use Soldier instead of any other Label when you make a basic or playbook move.

When you invoke your authority over civilians, Halcyon City personnel, or The Chromatic Knights staff, roll +Soldier. On a hit, your words carry weight. On a 7-9, someone will push back against your instructions or orders...sooner rather than later. On a miss, your attempts to control the situation create an opportunity for your enemies within The Chromatic Knights to act against you.

When you ask The Chromatic Knights for additional resources, equipment, or information during a mission, roll +Soldier. On a hit, they’ll resupply you as best they can. On a 10+, the resources are highly classified or experimental; take +1 ongoing to deploying them throughout the mission. On a miss, The Chromatic Knights sends what they think you need, regardless of what you actually requested.

Our victory secured an important resource for The Chromatic Knights What was it?

Moment of Truth

Freedom isn’t free. But not every mission ends in tragedy. When things look bleakest, when your back is against the wall, when it seems like the dawn will never come...you find a way forward without violence. Your enemies lay down their arms and surrender; your allies step back from the brink of chaos. Of course, the people you’ve saved aren’t going to forget what you’ve done here today; they may even come to see you as a symbol of the higher cause you claim to serve...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them what they need to do to achieve their full potential. If they accept your advice, take Influence over them and add two Team to the pool. If they reject what you have to say, mark a condition.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what cause they serve. If you find it to be a worthy cause, tell them how you will fight for it, clear a condition, and add a Team to the pool. If they don’t have a cause (or you find it unworthy), mark a condition.

Relationships

____________________ is crucial to the long-term success of A.E.G.I.S. I must protect them.
_____________________ isn’t always thrilled with the way A.E.G.I.S. handles things. I’ve come to value their critiques, even if I don’t agree with them.

Influence

Respect is earned, soldier. Tell two of your teammates what they did to earn your esteem and give them Influence. Everyone else will have to match their efforts.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 10, 2019

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Arachnataur

quote:

Who were you before?

Sarah Hendel, high school student, and political activist. I still am. Good thing I'm in Halcyon City, so the high school has doors I can get through, and I'm not exactly going door to door volunteering anymore.

Looking back, I guess in a way, I always was kind of described as 'intense' and 'intimidating'. Look, the more you know about biology and the environment, the more you realize how messed up what is currently being done is. And if that means I'm not 'chilling out' dealing with high school drama, then I'm fine with that.

I guess it's moot now. Not like there's any prom dates in my future now anyway.

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

A few months ago. We were protesting some company, Gencorp suspected of dumping chemical compounds in the ocean. They claimed it was not hazardous to the environment, the protest ran hot and me and a few others rushed one of the trucks, intent to prove it wasn't true what they said. Well, we sure proved that, didn't we?

I was rushed to the hospital, where the mutations started to happen. The body is the most visible parts, but I'm more aggressive, angrier than I used to be.

Gencorp was forced to pay a fine for transporting hazardous materials without a license? As for me? I got a misdemeanor charge and the judge said the company wasn't responsible for my 'change' But I'm not bitter!

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

My biology teacher from high-school. Mrs. Collin I was always her favorite, once she realized how passionate I was about biology. She's.... real good about making me think of my body as a new mystery. To approach it like a scientist. To explore how it works and see the beauty in that. I might have given up on going to college later altogether if it wasn't for her. Yeah, sure it's kind of weird to answer all the weird questions about my body but I know for a fact she's gung ho about the biological workings of life in general. And with her, it doesn't feel like I'm just a research subject, I'm helping her research myself.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?

That's letting Gencorp win. Every time people see me, it's a reminder of what they did. And screw that! I make a point of going out in public. Of wearing my hair so it shows all my eyes. People need to be reminded of the cost of their apathy, and I guess I'm a walking reminder now. I'm fine with that. And I wanted to change the world. With the powers I get, that's done a little more easy now.

quote:

Look, this is Halcyon City, there's worse cities to become... mutated in. But one of the first things I got to do when the mutations settled down enough I could leave the hospital was appear in juvenile court and get a misdemeanour slapped on me, and the company's lawyer throwing words like 'ecoterrorist' around. Suited prick. I was pissed off, yelled at him a fair bit. Just got a probation out of it, but between that and this form, suddenly a lot of the super powered folks were looking at me like I was gonna go super villain or something. But these people. They have me in their team. They trust me.

quote:

You expect people to register and accept government scrutiny to drive a car, and it's generally accepted. You expect people to register and accept government scrutiny to own a gun, and some people will yell, but a lot of folks think it's okay, me included. Why the hell should people get to read people's minds, throw fireballs or cars and not expect some oversight on that?

I hear folks talking about 'not trusting the government.' You know what, if the government can't be trusted with keeping some tabs on us, why should non-superpowered citizens be expected to trust them with their stuff? The types who were always on the anarchic side, alright, they're at least consistent. But I see a lot of superpowered types that are fine upholding the law, as long as the law doesn't try to touch them. I got the smallest violin playing for them. Apparently that means you thought the government were untrustworthy corrupt assholes, but you were fine with it, long as you weren't targeted.

If the government is something that is worth keeping, it's trustworthy enough to be allowed to register. If it's not, then we don't register, but then we need to put our money where our mouth is, and get a government set up that is worth keeping.

quote:

Hero Name: Arachnataur
Look: Woman, white, Strange eyes, plated flesh, No Costume
Abilities: Superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, manifested in her exoskeleton and spider body

Labels:
Danger +2
Freak +3
Savior 0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves:
❑ Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee.
On a 10+, choose one.
On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended toscare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, andparanoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.
❑ Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.
❑ Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moment of Truth:
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence:
You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 8, 2019

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

You know what this thread really needs. Questions

Rebellion the Bull

Who is the one person from your old life you still talk too?

Finn asked for your help with something that seems a little dubious. What was it and did you do what he asked?

Myrrha the Outsider

Which hero still bears a grudge against your people for your invasion counterattack? What did they try to do to you to get some measure of revenge?

What enchantment would you say is your greatest creation?

Red Witch the Nova

Is there any particular field of magic you excel in? Which one do you find most difficult to master and why?

So as someone who's not from around here what would you say is the most impressive thing about Halycon?

Astrid the Legacy

How do your family feel about you being "possessed" by what's essentially a foreign religions spirit?

Speaking of journalists which one have you personally managed to piss off? What made-up scandal did they write about you?

Knight Ruby the Soldier

Who amongst your people took the most delight in your fall? Why do they dislike you so much?

If you were faced with a choice between doing what was right and doing what was honourable which would you choose?

Arachnataur the Transformed

What's been the most surprising thing for you about your new body?

Which hero has been the most zealous in harassing you since you transformed? What did you do that got them to back off?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

quote:

How do your family feel about you being "possessed" by what's essentially a foreign religions spirit?
Oh, religion isn't the big issue, believe it or not. Sikhs already believe in reincarnation, karma, and that a spark of divinity exists in all of us - it gels surprisingly well with what happened to me. Plus, Bodil gave my parents a startlingly banal explanation of things, sucking the fun Norse mystical stuff out of it entirely. She she didn't say Odin once, and my parents seemed to accept it. That being said...

Imagine you're walking down a well-tread path that will lead you to your family. Suddenly, a woman you've never met grabs your hand and drags you off into the woods. She won't speak to you, she won't let go, and she won't stop pulling you away. Your family is waiting for you but you can't stop, and you have no idea where you're headed. That's what is happening to me. See, my parents are doctors, my sister is in residency, and almost every class I've ever taken has been pre-med prep. There was a plan, and it's honestly gone to poo poo. When my parents realise I'm probably not going to end up in medical school and that I'm almost certainly fated to die in battle? The argument will be apocalyptic.

quote:

Speaking of journalists which one have you personally managed to piss off? What made-up scandal did they write about you?
The mainstream papers are still doing their usual but honestly, they don't take that much note of me specifically. No, I'm a modern man and I have a modern problem: TotalRuby.

Ruby is a youtuber, cosplayer, wiki-editor and fangirl, whose main area of focus happens to be... you guessed it - Valkyries.

I was sent after Bloodsmith last month. He almost drowned me in a sewer, and yet - I don't think I hate him even half as much as Ruby hates me. She knows Valkyries better than anyone and will gladly tell you that I do not belong with them. She has a weekly vlog dedicated to my overall destruction. I was chosen by mistake, I'm faking my powers, I'm lying to the others, I'm a villain in disguise. The most recent video is an elaborate analysis of a picture that she says proves I'm a creep and Hertha hates me. Its like having my own dedicated tabloid.

I can't even ignore it. Her great grandmother was bonded to Ragna. She was a huge badass who turned the tide of the war. This gives Ruby an absurd level of credibility. She somehow roped Bodil into guesting on her goddamned podcast for an episode. Honestly, the only problem with our "never engage with the media" rule is it didn't have the foresight to include "or the internet either."

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 10, 2019

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Ferrosol posted:

Rebellion the Bull

Who is the one person from your old life you still talk too?

It's not exactly a real-life friend, but I've been trying to keep active on some of the internet stuff I used to get up to. Nothing with my name attached, y'know, since I don't want to freak my folks out, but there are a couple of message boards and the like that I haunt. So the person — or alien, or highly advanced artificial intelligence, who knows in Halcyon — that I've been keeping in touch with most goes by Pleiades. They are pretty cool, we bonded over some shows I really used to like in like middle school. Or still like, maybe, even if I won't admit it to anyone.

Anyways, I've been clueing them in with some of the stuff that's been going on... the really broad strokes anyway, but it's been good to get it off my chest.

quote:

Finn asked for your help with something that seems a little dubious. What was it and did you do what he asked?

Alright, yeah, you got me. So I've got a bike, I'm a big ol' blank in the system — perks of being officially dead, I guess — and I've got a lot of time on my hands. He asked me to run some deliveries for him. Packages, messages, nothing big. I'm figuring he's probably tied up in some small-time crime of some sort or another, but who really gives a poo poo? There's a goddamn conspiracy out there kidnapping people off the streets. Cops didn't help me, neither did the vigilantes who bust up these sorts of operations. You know who did me a solid? Finn.

I'll do these errands for him, at least until I figure we're square, and good luck stopping me from doing what I want. If there's a perk out of this whole thing, it's that it's going to take a lot more than some rival thugs or a well-meaning masked type to stop me. I can thrash the former no sweat, and the latter? Well, let's just call it some applied sparring.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 11, 2019

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

quote:

Myrrha the Outsider

Which hero still bears a grudge against your people for your invasion counterattack? What did they try to do to you to get some measure of revenge?

This one. She simply called herself Sorceress, I believe. A strange choice to name oneself after her choice of class, but that is besides the point. The issue Sorceress has is somewhat understandable. Apparently, her home is very close to the gateway to our world. Which proved to be a problem when introduced to common soldiers - which exactly as soldiers do and looted the place. Priceless artifacts of your world, art, and apparently even her favorite recling chair are missing. I do feel some sympathy, but what does she expect? Even if we could the items, which are now scattered all over our kingdom, they would be extremely unlikely to be returned. After all, they are very valuable objects for research. Apart from the reclining chair, of course.

Either way, she has done much to drag the reputation of our people into the mud. The common folk of your kind appear to be very gullible, leading to them believing the lies of the Sorceress. We are not savage raiders as she would have you believ, we are in fact very much civilized. More so than your kind, I have to assume at this point. The people of the Kingdom of Pleiades are able to discuss problems, without having to resort to such underhanded tactics.

quote:

What enchantment would you say is your greatest creation?

That is a good question. I tend to create my enchantments simply based on a need for them. As such I don't really have a favorite. I don't personally like ever having to use it, but there most definitely is a most powerful one. Well, it's a set of enchantments, really.

The Kusanagi.

Made out of solid adamantite, this thing is probably one of the most ridiculous weapons I have created so far. It's main quality is that it is absurdly sharp. To the point that no sheath can ever hold it, as it will simply cut through it from moving about. It needs to be kept in an item box to be stored safely. However, that is not all. If fed mana, the sharpness gets increased even further, up to the downright impossible. Once empowered, it can simply cut through anything. Even things that cannot ordinarily be cut, such as fire, water, or space itself. The problem is, that no mere mortal can actually use it properly at this point. Even I can activate it only for a single swing, which is enough to almost drain me dry. Being so impractical, I gave it to the royal family to keep as a treasure.

Lately, I've been much more fond of using golems anyway - by enlivening objects, I can create warriors to do the fighting for me. Your world provides great materials for them.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Is there any particular field of magic you excel in? Which one do you find most difficult to master and why?

The destructive nature of magic flows easily through my body. I can simply send a brief wave of magical energy and destroy entire buildings....even by accident. Really, really, really sorry about that old restaurant! It was empty though, so that's good right? Well, not good I mean it's not bad, right? Uh anyway, it's easier to bring forth magic and let it out right away.

The more subtle arts of clairvoyance are hard for me. I have to stand in one place, focus, and take my time. I feel the magical energy flowing through me, just trying to burst through. So not only do I need to focus on getting the information I want, I have to try and make sure the magic I'm gathering doesn't fly out and damage anyone or anything near by. I'm getting better at it. I think? Twilight Sorceress is helping me out with that kind of stuff these days.

Ferrosol posted:

So as someone who's not from around here what would you say is the most impressive thing about Halycon?

I love how all the strange and supernatural is just common place in Halcryon! You know, back home there were people like us, but it was...less out in the open? Not hidden, uh, exactly, but more...you know....subdued? But here in Halcyon I can see and be with a bunch of people like me. It's pretty cool! Plus there's more magic using people here then at home, so it's always nice to meet people like that.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Lamia, the Doomed!

People often ask me what makes a vampire, cursed to wander the night for all eternity and drink the blood of the living, want to be a superhero? And I tell them that the two are less different than they imagine - you still hang out in the shadows with people of dubious intent, clash with people called Doctor a lot, and get to wear a cape! Then we laugh. Then I bite them.

Yikes, tough crowd. OK, please stop screaming now. Just...was it the fangs? Too much? I can reel that in a bit, see? Perfectly normal smile. Stop with the cross and garlic, please. I'm not going to touch you, I promise. Just wanted to break the ice a little. I thought you people would have had access to my file from Child Safety before you thought about interviewing me for your team. You want me to go back over the basics with you? Sure, if it'll help you settle down. First off, I'm the daughter of Dracula. Yeah, the original one. My mother is...not known to me. I'm not sure how old I am in terms of time - my father had me in a sealed section of his castle 'protected against the ravages of time' by loving looping the same few months over and over, so he could visit me at what to him was a good time. Last time he got taken down there was a hero there who could manipulate time, the Traveler - he was able to break the loop and let me out. The hero team pulled me out of the castle and handed me over to the city authorities. I spent some time in dimensional readjustment therapy (which is a thing here, I love this city), a bit of time puzzling out how my powers work (strong, fast, undying with access to blood, assuming the shapes of creatures of the night, etc), several years with a really nice foster family (thank you Mr & Mrs Harper, your name was one letter away from perfect irony), and now I'm looking to take up heroing as a cover while I go about my dark business.

Kidding, again. Actually I really need this gig. Not just so I can use my powers for good, but because I only have a limited amount of time before my father returns to unlife, and comes back for me.

quote:

When did you first learn of your doom?

In a way I guess I've known as long as I was out that he'd try to pull me back in, but it started becoming more obvious a few months ago. Other vampires start appearing in an attempt to bask in the glory of the master, the creatures of the night start making that music again, pale women start sleeping with their windows open, all that jazz. The world makes itself ready for him to return. How soon? No idea. Maybe that depends on me.

quote:

Where did you get your sanctuary?

The Castle? I lived there as long as I could remember, if you can call being in a closed time loop that repeats itself at the whim of a nostalgia crazed old monster living. It's not really a physical location, I think - more an idea of a place that parasitizes places that could be it. I can access it with a little mental effort by opening any door that the sun isn't shining on. Or do the reality warping thing and just get straight there, but I try to avoid that.

quote:

Why do you oppose your nemesis?

Well, he's literally a monster who consumes human lives to sustain his existence, so that's one thing. Another is if he has his way it's back into the tower and repeating a 'happy time' for his benefit for the rest of eternity, which now that I've tasted life outside seems unspeakably boring. Or worse, he'll try to change me to be more like him, join him in his unending vendetta against the concept of the Sun or whatever. And he could do it, his power of persuasion is literally legendary.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

The Van Helsing Corporation, of course. The family realized they couldn't compete with an immortal enemy as individual humans, so they created a form of person that lives forever, sucking the lives of humans away for it's own ends...and sold shares in it. Strictly speaking we're enemies and they hate me, on the other hand killing young people who work as heroes is bad optics, so hopefully they can look past their biases and work to keep the old man asleep for another generation.

quote:

Why does the team matter to you?

Even if the VHC get on board, I can't hope to beat the lord of vampires on my own. I need more than just grudging allies or a well meaning cape to back me up. I need friends. Not muscle, not money, people who I can trust and who trust me. And we might have a few bumps in the road ahead of us, but nothing the team's bonds can't handle. I hope.

quote:

Strong oppose. If people know my real name and my hero identity they can put two and two together, and then I never get a moments peace ever again between people wanting immortality in a bite (it doesn't work that way! there's a big ritual and it's super hard and gross) or crusading assholes out to take down Dracula's Daughter (which, to be fair, happens a bit already.) And I guess as a kind of sorcerer throwing around true names of people opposing evil seems a little irresponsible.

quote:

Hero Name: Nightblood! Darkfang! Batwolf!...Lamia
Look: Ambiguous, White, Empty Eyes, Unassuming Clothing, Grim Costume
Abilities: Superhuman Strength and Speed, Body Transmutation, Vitality Absorption.

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +1
Savior +1
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Nemesis: Vlad Tepes AKA 'Dracula', 'Dad'.

Doomed: Injuring Innocents and Frightening Loved Ones bring my doom closer. /5

Doom Signs:

Portal: Mark your doom track to appear (in a flurry of bats, ravens or rats) in a scene with anyone you want.

Sanctuary:
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose three features of your sanctuary - a library of valuable tomes; a scattering of ancient relics; a meditation space.

Choose two downsides of your sanctuary - difficult to access, tied intricately to my doom

When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Moment of Truth

The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time. But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a doomsign after you’re finished.

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend a Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

Relationships

You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
You’d love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence:
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 11, 2019

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

:siren:Recruitment closes in 24 hours. If you haven't at least expressed interested by then it's too late :siren:

Now more questions for the question throne!

Shadow Cat the Janus

So what's the biggest crime you've managed to stop on your own?

Your dad caught you tending to an injury you picked up the other day what excuse did you give him for how you got it and do you think he believed it?

Halimede the Nomad

What is the one thing from Earth that you think would be really popular in galactic society?

What do you find hardest to understand about humanity after so long away?

Joy the Newborn

Helena put a lot of pressure on you to be a hero. What would you say is the most heroic thing you've done so far?

What do you do for fun when you're not being a hero?

Lamia the Doomed

Awkward question but err how are you keeping yourself fed these days?

So we've all been told by Hollywood about what vampires are like. What's the most annoying thing about your kind that they got wrong?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ferrosol posted:

Lamia the Doomed
Awkward question but err how are you keeping yourself fed these days?

I usually don't like cooking so i mostly eat out or get takeaway, but sometimes I make soup. In terms of money the old man is loaded, and has set up some trusts that I can access for my expenses. Which is kind of odd seeing as he was keeping me in a snowglobe, but this kind of foresight is why he's still number one.

(Sighs.) Yes, I know exactly what you mean. It's actually pretty easy to get hold of animal blood, or buy surplus plasma from the Red Cross under the counter. If I'm in a fight and need fresh stuff straight away to patch some holes, there's usually a neck right there. It's a little risky, of course - super-villains and other criminals don't always lead the cleanest lifestyles, and it can days to get the taste of a particularly unpleasant specimen out of my mouth. But the important thing is that it's part of the fight and not just a hunt. Might seem like a fine line, but it matters to me. I'm not a predator, I'm a hero. Maybe a little...bloodier than some heroes, but still fighting to protect people.

Ferrosol posted:

Lamia the Doomed
So we've all been told by Hollywood about what vampires are like. What's the most annoying thing about your kind that they got wrong?

Probably that we are a 'kind'. Pretty much anything on screen or in text is true about a vampire somewhere, but we're (and I include myself in the grouping hesitantly) not a monolithic block. Some are cursed, some have a disease, some are mad science experiments. Some are immortal, some are not, some are decomposing fast enough you can see it happen. Some need blood, some merely crave it, some only drink the stuff to be edgy. Some burn in the sun, some are weaker, some aren't affected at all. There are creatures of myth from around the world that get lumped into the vampire 'kind' that have nothing in common with me or my father. Even between him and me there are differences and I don't know why. The two entities that have any real research done on categorizing and sorting 'us' are the VHC (who won't let me read their archives) and my father, and while I can access his library it's huge and very poorly catalogued.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 13, 2019

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Ferrosol posted:

Joy the Newborn
Helena put a lot of pressure on you to be a hero. What would you say is the most heroic thing you've done so far?

Oooh, Joy has not had much of a chance to develop an extensive career of the heroism yet, it is no fault of anyone else Joy is merely a newly created being, but Joy imagines it is because the existence of Joy raised many questions before Joy's first act of heroism and the aftermath only made even more questions.

But the first act of big heroism that put Joy onto map it was the town of Silverspring, it had slight and also very large problem with a dam that was threatening to burst and wash away everyone's homes, very bad destruction of property, threat to life and terrible ecological damage all rolled into one thing that was no good, no good at all. So Joy being a very practical and sensible hero who likes to deal with problems with simple solutions, Joy digs into the surrounding clay in Silversrping and uses it to plug the leaks in the dam long enough for technicians to safely drain excess water and townsfolk to finish evacuation. And Joy is very confused by this afterwards because Joy only implemented small solution for others to make the save, so it is the technicians who deserve credit for saving of town yes?

But no even technicians who did most of actual work say to Joy, "Who are you? You saved our town how can we ever thank you?" And so Joy suddenly attracted very large amount of attention from all sides as hero who saved an entire town of people, and Joy even got a statue built in her honour. Very surprising, especially when Joy was only in Silverspring to do the shopping of clothes with Alchemist's Apprentices, but what was it senior hero man who talked to Joy afterwards said, he said something like.

"A hero is someone in the wrong place at the wrong time who makes the right decision". I am not sure I understand the meaning behind the words yet.

Ferrosol posted:

What do you do for fun when you're not being a hero?

Joy makes some sweeping gestures in their hand, conveying better than they can that she is having issues articulating an answer to the question

Joy has been trying very, very hard to find what is 'Fun' for Joy but, the biggest problem is that Joy needed a great deal of time and tutelage to be able to function in society, Joy didn't even know how to read until somewhat recently but Joy does not have to be told more than once. Joy might not know much but Joy learns quickly and yet the idea of Fun seems to be very, very different depending on who Joy asks.

Take the Alchemist Apprentices, Holt enjoys reading classical literature and it was Holt that taught Joy to read in the first place, but Locksley does not do much reading he instead likes to take care of animals he has many pets and a great deal of affection for creatures of many shapes. Joy will never forget the time that he took Joy to the park and managed to get small birds to eat out of Joy's outstretched hand. And this weekend Watson wants to take me to see a 'moo-vee' at the 'Cin-ee-mah', something else entirely different to the last two thing Joy did.

Joy found enjoyment in all these activities, but perhaps it is not the actions themselves that illicited enjoyment for Joy, but that Joy was doing them with other people who were also having fun? Joy requires more time to think on this.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 13, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

Hero Name: Rubber Band

Look
• White man, athletic body, Casual clothes, colorful costume

Abilities
You are someone’s protégé. Your powers largely mimic theirs, but each of you is in some way unique. Pick one ability you both share and one ability for each of you that is uniquely yours.

SHARED ABILITY:Body Elasticity

YOUR OWN ABILITY: Power Mimicry

YOUR MENTOR’S ABILITY: Detective Skills

Mentor Embodies: Savior
Disdains: Mundane

LABELS

Danger -1
Freak +1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Backstory
• How did you first meet your mentor?

It was by accident, actually. Sam, err, I'm sorry, "Amazing Man", was fighting King Fusion, who had stolen some chemicals from a Gentech laboratory for...reasons. I was just an "innocent bystander", as Sam would put it, who got splashed with Gentech goo when Sam cut King Fusion off as he was making his escape.

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

Dude! Has your arm ever been twice the size of your body, and you didn't know how to get it back to the size it was? It's not like I had a choice. I had to get these powers under control. And it's not like there are a whole lot of people out there who can show you how to stretch...well, yoga instructors, I guess, but they don't do it like that.

• Why did they agree to train you?

I dunno. Guilt, I guess? I figure Sam blames himself for what happened to me. Its not really his fault though. If its anybody's fault, it's Gencorp's, or King Fusion's. Plus, you know, he had been exposed to Gentech goo to get his powers, so he knows what it's like.

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Nobody. Not even my parents. I mean, I want to tell them, but I don't even know how you have that conversation? "So, um, dad, you know how when I was 13, you said I could come to you if I had any questions about how my body was changing? Well...."

It can be lonely living like this, you know, having powers and everything. it's not like it's something you can really use to, I dunno, bond with people. "So, what you do this weekend?" "Chilled. You?" "Stopped Dr. Twilight's army of shadow creatures." Sometimes you just need people to talk to.

• How do you feel about registration?

So, Sam and I sort of disagree about this. He thinks its just an example of government meddling. He says its like how when he was with the police, the police just wanted to stop the bad guys, but that the legislature and the courts would always put in some bureaucratic bullshit that would get in the way, and that this is just more of that. Besides, he says, it's not like, if it passes, people like King Fusion would register anyway. It's just law abiding superheroes who would register, so how would that make anybody safer? It would just make it more dangerous.

As for me, I dunno. Like, I see his point, really. But it seems like, ok, so I can stretch myself and contort into all sorts of weird shapes. I can also copy superpowers from superpowered individuals if I see them and are near them. It seems like, you know, I could, if I wanted, cause all sorts of trouble. I don't want to, but shouldn't the government know about people running around who have superpowers? Especially if we're helping them out? Registering will be weird, because that'll make it harder to keep who you are secret from the public, sure, but it seems like the right thing to do.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2019

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Ferrosol posted:

Knight Ruby the Soldier

Who amongst your people took the most delight in your fall? Why do they dislike you so much?

The Court is, and has always been, a fractious place. Alliances are made and broken in hours, grudges are built in minutes, and satisfied in seconds. My assignment to the team is as a direct result of their machinations.

The Raven Princess of the Onix court. Ruby and Onix has been rivals and feuding for eons. Not a day goes by without slight being given. She and I are both Noble Suns. Heirs to our respective thrones. Such rivalry is encouraged and bred into every Sun. So when she found a chance to make my position even worse, she took it with relish. I would expect no less.

It was she the organised that I serve with a Lance of your 'heroes', to "strengthen the bonds of brotherhood between Knight and Humans. I genius move. She naturally volunteered me for this role, and given that she holds higher ranking in the court at this time, I am honourbound to accept. As such, I now find myself separated from my Lance, and working in this squad of untested squires, yet to be forged in the heat of battle.

Yet, I wonder if in her rush to weaken my position, she's underestimated the Humans. Time will tell.

quote:

If you were faced with a choice between doing what was right and doing what was honourable which would you choose?

Well I think I rather proved that when acting on instinct. But it is the hardest choice a Knight can make. The correct answer is an honourable course of action... but it is not always the moral answer. I have already entered the folly of that descision once before, and it is responsible for my current position within the court. Should it come to it again... I cannot say which I'd pick. I hope I don't need to find out.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

quote:

What's been the most surprising thing for you about your new body?

You mean, besides pretty much the whole body? It was a long string of unpleasant surprises. And since all of this is pretty much randomized, I'll never know when something is gonna start shifting again! I'm getting a lot of cancer screening done I'll get you that. The unpleasant surprises are a lot. Like the fact that it's really, really hard to maintain a vegetarian diet these days, because my mouth now really starts watering when there's raw meat, and I basically need to eat a metric ton of meat replacement to not screw myself over. Not gonna let this drat thing I've got going make me go back on my principles. But drat it, I'm sick of quorm.

But I guess it's not all bad. Strength and toughness, yeah, I kinda noticed that pretty soon. But what really surprised me is when I found out that not only do these hairy legs stick to walls. They stick strong enough that they can carry my entire bulk. Mrs. Collins and I still aren't all the way sure of how it happens, but it'll sure come in handy when dealing with some villain stuff.

quote:

Which hero has been the most zealous in harassing you since you transformed? What did you do that got them to back off?

The Strigine Avenger. She's an owl themed superhero, some minor observation superpowers, with a lot of martial arts and gadgets to boot. She used to be mentored by Aegis, a superheroine inspired by Athena. Used to be. There was this guy, cursed with a werewolf with his own personality. The Strigine Avenger tried to help him, against Aegis order, and got into a dangerous situation. she lived, Aegis didn't. Apparently, I remind her of that werewolf. I mean, yeah, I get angry more easily than I used to, and I'm scary, but I never did anyone harm beyond, you know, what's needed to do the job.

Anyway, back when I was just starting out being a superheroine, she started to shadow me. And she's good at it. Whenever I had an opportunity to grab a crook, she'd go in and grab it. And she made no secret of it that she thought I barely had business walking outside, let alone be a superhero. After a few days, things came to a head, and there was a fight. I'd like to say that I gave her a good measured beating, but she was someone trained by an experienced superhero, I was a newbie still getting used to her new body. I got my rear end kicked. Embarrassing considering she's 5'1 and weighs next to nothing. But she got, angry. Beat up on me way more than she'd done before. When I was struggling to get up, and she was preparing to hit me again, she suddenly looked shocked, and took off running. We haven't really talked since then.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So recruitment is officially closed. If you haven't already at least expressed interest it's too late.

Senior Scarybagels, Tricky Dick Nixon, Waffleman_ if you are still interested get your characters done ASAP.

Final deadline for answering all questions is Friday. I'll make picks then but if people finish up their questions before then it may be done sooner.

Speaking of questions

Rubber Band the Protege

What's the weirdest shape you've stretched yourself into and why did you have to do it?

How long do the powers you copy typically last?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ferrosol posted:

Rubber Band the Protege

What's the weirdest shape you've stretched yourself into and why did you have to do it?

How long do the powers you copy typically last?

Umm, ok, so I know this sounds like a stereotype....you know how whenever you see like a cartoon with superheroes or something, and somebody's falling from a building, the superhero who can turn into things turns into a trampoline to save the guy who's falling from the building? So, yeah, that hurts like hell. Just because you're really thin and stretchy and stuff, it still hurts when somebody falls on you. Still, I saved the life of the kid in that building burning, and true, it probably would have been smarter to just stretch myself up to the window and carried him down, you know, at least it worked. God, I won't do that again.

So, about the copied powers. I don't know. I mean, it's been different times each time, if that makes sense? The thing is, with the stretching thing, Sam can help me out, because he's been through it. He knows what works and doesn't work, he can show me stuff, and can generally give me tips. The power copying, I'm on my own. It's not something Sam's even heard of before. Plus, it, um, kind of makes me nervous. Like, it seems dangerous, somehow, and not right. So, I haven't really figured it all out yet, if that makes sense?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Shadow Cat the Janus

So what's the biggest crime you've managed to stop on your own?

The biggest crime? I guess that'd be the time I single-highhandedly stopped a bank robbery. There was this group calling themselves the Mad Dogs who were holding everyone in the Bank of Halycon hostages. They were way to well-armed for a gang of thugs, and the local police weren't exactly equipped to deal with people like them... but I was. I'd drop in, zip from shadow to shadow, and silently take out the goons one by one... Or at least, that's how I hoped it would go, but, uh, well... I was still new to the whole hero business at the time, and things.... didn't go exactly as planned. I... might've tripped myself up a little, and had to deal with a whole bunch of gunfire. It got a little hairy, but I still somehow managed to take them all down, without a single hostage getting hurt. After dealing with them, I left my card on the ground, and left the building as silently as I came in.

It could have gone a lot better, but hey, it could've also gone a lot worse, too! And it was the one, big moment that put me on the map, and got people to talk about me. Folks would talk about the "hero in the shadows" who saved all those people, and how "incredible and heroic" she looked doing it, and I have to admit, it felt really good hearing all that! Oh, sure, there're some people who think she made the whole situation worse, and that she's nothing more than a menace (like my dad), but they can say whatever they want. That won't stop me from doing good whenever I can!

quote:

Your dad caught you tending to an injury you picked up the other day what excuse did you give him for how you got it and do you think he believed it?

...Yeah, that was a close one. I picked up a few nasty bruises and a swollen eye dealing with a few thugs the other day, and when my dad saw them, he had a whole lot of questions. I had to think of something to tell him, and I couldn't just say, "Hey dad, remember that Shadow Cat person you rant about every night? Well, surprise! It's me!" So, uh, I might've panicked, and told him that I got it... when I tripped and fell on the sidewalk. Look, you try coming up with an excuse when you've got your cop dad staring you down!

There was this moment, where things got quiet, and a little intense. There was no way my dad was going to buy it. That's what I thought, anyways... But he did. He just sighed, gave me a hug, and told me to be more careful next time. I was super relieved, but it also made me realize that I've gotta be waaay more careful next time. My dad might've believed me now, but I don't think he'd believe it the second time it happens, or the third.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Halimede the Nomad

Ferrosol posted:

What is the one thing from Earth that you think would be really popular in galactic society?

The food. Oh, my gosh, the food. There's some good stuff out there, in the galaxy, but the variety you can get just walking down the street in a Human urbanization - err, city. It's astounding, on par with what you get on the biggest trade stations. Some of it's not like anything else. Have you had Cajun? I love cajun. How has nobody else invented that? There's trillions of sentients in the galaxy and I've never had this before.

Excuse me, now I'm hungry.

Ferrosol posted:

What do you find hardest to understand about humanity after so long away?

You know how I talked about the food, and the variety? Well the flipside of that is, I think, the provincialism. I've met some incredibly xenophobic species - the Minar-Rae literally don't let aliens land on thier planet - but it's always with external species. Humans get incredibly worked up about *other humans* being a slightly different shade, or being from another part of the planet. Or even across a river! Humans seem to love to divide each other up by tiny and arbitrary distinctions It's *INSANE*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Since all the questions are done and I have the patience of a kid with ADHD on speed. It's picks time folks. Now there were a lot of good apps but in the end I could only take six of you. There was a fair bit of dithering involved but in the end here are the lucky six.

Arachnataur the Transformed played by Shogeton
Rebellion the Bull played by Tricky
Shadow Cat the Janus played by Tardzilla
Astrid the Legacy played by Not Operator
Lamia the Doomed played by thatbastardken
Red Witch the Nova played byHeliotrope