Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Welcome to the Aspire Academy, a private, coeducational boarding high school in upstate New York. Established in 1973 by a diverse group of successful professionals to mold the leaders of tomorrow, the Aspire Academy has more Fortune 500 CEO graduates than any other school in the country. With an average class size of 12, we provide the individual attention your child needs to thrive in all aspects of their personal and scholastic development. In addition, our world class staff blends the traditional liberal arts curriculum with self directed study in an area of the student's choice, culminating in a Senior Project that demonstrates all they've learned over their time with us. From a state of the art computer lab to a humane animal research lab for biomedical technologies, from a Broadway style theater to a concert hall with full orchestra, our facilities have every amenity your child needs to blossom into their full potential.

This year, we are pleased to announce that our 2018 fundraising efforts were a smashing success. Thanks to generous donations from our successful graduates across all fields, we are pleased to announce that the school year of 2019 will have the largest amount of scholarships available for deserving students in the history of the Aspire Academy.

And remember, here at the Aspire Academy, we all aspire to meet your child's every need.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The brochure you read before you got here never mentioned the town of Lindhaven. In fact, the Aspire Academy does its best to pretend that there isn't anything outside of the spacious and lush school grounds. But Lindhaven knows all about the Aspire Academy. Even today, locals will swap stories in dive bars around town about how the Aspire Academy bought up farmland that had been handed down through the generations to build it's expansive campus. At P.S. 143, every senior prank for the last 23 years has actually targeted the Aspire Academy. Some have been more successful than others, and recently the Aspire Academy the beefed up perimeter security five years ago after the "Macaroni Gallery" incident. But, none of that keeps the students from leaving campus in their free time. Technically, the school only allows visits to town on the weekends, but it's still a common sight to see Aspire students all across town almost as soon as the bell has rung.

But Aspire students quickly learn to travel in packs when off of school grounds. It's safer that way.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

However, it's easy for you to forget about the glossy brochures, the resentment of the townies, and even the demanding workloads the school puts you under, because you're part of the School Safety Committee, the most demanding extracurricular that no one knows about. You won't find it mentioned in any brochure. It doesn't accept applications. It scouts its own members for admission. Everyone in the School Safety Committee knows that there's something lurking in the shadows of the Lindhaven and the Academy. Everyone on the Committee has seen it first hand.

You see, the School Safety Committee hunts monsters.

Ground Rules:
1. Monster of the Week doesn't inherently lend itself to teenage (and grown up) nastiness like, say, Monsterhearts, but it's still a game about horrible monsters and (sometimes) horrible people who work with them. If anything comes up during play that other people are uncomfortable with, that's the end of the discussion. We'll work together to "re-edit" the scene around the offensive part and continue along.

2. Playbooks: All of the basic playbooks, the Exile, and the Snoop are available. Playbooks and Player Moves here.

3. In addition to your normal playbook questions, I'd like you to answer the following questions:
Are you a Legacy or a Scholarship? How do you feel about the other group?
What close encounter with the spooky kind led you to joining the School Safety Committee (There's a fair chance this will need to be tweaked when we've got the final cast together, so stay flexible).
Classes/Social Life/Extracurricular Obligations: Describe how one of these is going great, one is going fine, and one is actively a disaster.
Tell me about a teacher! What do they teach? What's the rumor on how they caught the eye of the Academy to land a teaching gig?
Tell me about someone in town! What do they do? Do they resent the school or not?
(Optional) A photo
(Optional) A theme song
(Optional) A good IC Thread Name

4. I'm looking for four to five players, and I plan on closing new applications by the end of Wednesday, with the final decision on Friday or Saturday.

5. Join the Swampthings Discord and ask questions in the MOTW School Safety Committee channel.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Alicia Cole, the Faerie

Yo~! Alicia here, giving you the straight dope from the halls of Aspire! We've got the latest on the trends, gossip, and fashions of the hottest school in NY. Stay tuned, like, and subscribe to keep ahead of the pack. Of course, you're probably like "who's this girl and why should I listen to her?" Well, friends, it's simple. I've got the hottest content engine this side of your professional marketers — and I'm way more interesting than those whitebread scrubs. Why shouldn't you listen to me?

I know there's been a rumor going around about some shenanigans that I've gotten up to, pre-Aspire, but that was a total case of mistaken identity. Seriously~!

What do the other members of the School Safety Committee know about you?

Ooh, well, there's the obvious. I'm fashion-forward, ridiculously popular, and good at talking to people — and, trust me, a lot of these weirdos need someone who can actually talk with the people we run into on the job. Less obviously... well, I'm a faerie. Fey-blooded is technically more accurate, since I'm only a halfie, but whatever. I've got a bit of point to my ears, an intuitive grasp of magic, and I'm really good at getting people to do what I want them to do.

They probably also know that I have a hard time tearing away from an opportunity to have fun. It's not like I try to get distracted, it's a faerie thing! Put any fae — the ones like me, anyway — near a lit party and they're gonna have one hell of a time. Sooo... on the upside, I'm literally an expert on where to find a good time! On the downside, sometimes I need to help gank a werewolf or something... It's hard being so much fun, let me tell you.

Scholarship, baby! Apparently, I set the Guinness record for fastest growing independent content creator last year and, hey, the recruitment folks sent me an offer I couldn't pass up. I think they want me to do marketing or something, but that sounds boring. I'm all about putting my mark on pop culture. Legacies... well, I'm not going to say they don't know how to have fun. A lot of the scholarship people are really uptight about it. I bet if we got a really bumping party going on...

...I wonder if I can ask Mom to bring me some of the fun, uh, party supplements that the fae like. I'll put it on the list! Party of the century, here I come.

What close encounter with the spooky kind led you to joining the School Safety Committee? (There's a fair chance this will need to be tweaked when we've got the final cast together, so stay flexible.)

Honestly? They found me. I was just minding my own business, developing a social network like you do, and bam. Boots through the door, guns like a SWAT team, the whole bit. Apparently they thought I was some kind of monster. Rude! I mean, yeah, I kinda talk people into doing things for me in a way you might think was magical — and, hey, maybe it is — but that's not a crime! Seriously, I checked and everything. They, evidentally, disagreed.

So, uh, in lieu of getting SSC'd, I'm doing a bit of community service.

Classes/Social Life/Extracurricular Obligations: Describe how one of these is going great, one is going fine, and one is actively a disaster.

Social life? In the bag. Seriously. I've already gotten hooked up with the hottest cliques and power players at the school. I'm not saying I'm the most popular, but I'm probably like... Top 10? Top 5? The fae stuff helps, sure, but a lot of it is some good ol' fashioned social engineering and networking. The same sort of thing that made me a YouTube superstar!

Classes are also going pretty well, I guess! I'm not super studious, but I know the right people to arrange a little tutoring before a big test.

Now, uh, extracurriculars? That's where I'm having some trouble. There's a club requirement and, well, while I'd like to be more involved in choir, I'm booked solid! Social stuff comes first, of course, then I have content creation to worry about, then studying... then SSC stuff... and then way at the back is choir. I know the director isn't happy with me, but I'm sure they'll forgive me after I have a frank discussion with them~!

Tell me about a teacher! What do they teach? What's the rumor on how they caught the eye of the Academy to land a teaching gig?

Ms. Yamashita teaches the computer classes. She's a pretty normal looking lady, maybe mid-20s, but I heard a juicy rumor on how she got hired. You ever hear about white hat hackers? They're people who do bad things for good reasons or something like that. Anyways, she totally hacked into the Aspire mainframe and added herself to the staff list. Who's going to argue with her tech cred after a stunt like that?

Tell me about someone in town! What do they do? Do they resent the school or not?

So there's this small place by the theater, they call it Club Inferno. It's nominally a dance hall, but basically it's a club for the richies on campus to go out and live it up in this whole sin-themed setting. The lady that runs it, Lucy, really likes me, so I get free entry if I promise to help out and keep things lively~!

What does she think of the school? Uh... hm. I don't know. She never really talks about it, but I guess she must like it since all her customers come from there.

quote:

Name: Alicia Cole
Look: Woman, energetic aura, stylish clothes

Stats:
Charm +2
Cool =0
Sharp -1
Tough -1
Weird +3

Monster Breed:
You’re half-human, half-monster: decide if you were always this way or if you were originally human and transformed somehow. Now decide if you were always fighting to be good, or if you were evil and changed sides. Define your monstrous breed by picking a curse, moves, and natural attacks. Create the monster you want to be: whatever you choose defines your breed in the game. Some classic monsters with suggestions for picks are listed on the back of this sheet. These are only suggestions: feel free to make a different version!

Curse:
Pure Drive: One emotion rules you. Pick from: hunger, hate, anger, fear, jealousy, greed, joy, pride, envy, lust, or cruelty. Whenever you have a chance to indulge that emotion, you must do so immediately, or act under pressure to resist.

Natural Attacks:
Base: magical force (1-harm magical close)
Extra: Add ignore-armour to a base

Moves:
Fae Magic: Roll +Weird instead of +Tough when you kick some rear end.
A Way With Words: When you gaze into a normal human’s eyes and exert your will over them, roll +Charm. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. You may spend your hold to give them an order. Regular people will follow your order, whatever it is. Hunters can choose whether they do it or not. If they do, they mark experience.

Gear:
None!

History:
Go around the group again. When it’s your turn, pick one for each of the other hunters:
• You lost control one time, and almost killed them. Ask them how they stopped you.
• They tried to slay you, but you proved you’re on the side of good. Ask them what convinced them.
• You are romantically obsessed with them. Ask them if they know, and if they reciprocate.
• Close relations, or a distant descendant. Tell them which.
• You saved them from another of your kind, and prevented reprisals against that individual creature (maybe it’s another good one, or maybe it has a hold over you).
• They are tied to your curse or origin. Tell them how.
• You fought together against the odds, and prevailed.
• They saved you from another hunter who was prepared to kill you. Ask them what happened.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 6, 2019

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Alastair Lusk the Mundane

quote:

My parents would never be able to afford sending me here on their own salary. I worked hard in school, and my grades qualified me for a scholarship. My parents are real proud of me...but I wonder what they'd think if they knew what I was getting up to after school?

Honestly the Legacy kids seem to just be the same as other rich people - off in their own world, and only seem to care about everyone below them if there's something they want. I'd say I avoid them, but it's not like people are lining up to hang out with me.

quote:

What close encounter with the spooky kind led you to joining the School Safety Committee (There's a fair chance this will need to be tweaked when we've got the final cast together, so stay flexible).

Mr. Benton was the History teacher for a while, came from England (I assume from his accent anyway). He told me that there was a problem with my assignment and to stay after class to talk about it. When I did, he injected me with something that knocked me out.

When I woke up, my hands and legs were tied and I was in the middle of a circle of candles. He had a knife and book out, and was lighting the candles. I tried to ask him what he was doing, to plead with him to stop. At one point, I told him that if he killed me then he'd get in trouble. Then he just laughed and said that no one would really notice or look into it - and he was right. I don't really have any friends here.

I stopped talking, which I think Mr. Benton figured was me giving up. Instead I was trying to get my pocketknife out without him noticing. What he said was true, but I didn't want to die like this. I managed to cut through the rope keeping my hands bound and then jammed the blade into his foot. He was not expecting that, and soon we were wrestling over the knife he had. Before either of us managed to get ahold of it, someone else burst in and seeing what was going on they took care of Mr. Benton. That's how I found out there was a School Safety Committee who dealt with stuff like this. I don't really have anything special about me, but it turns out they're fairly stretched trying to deal with all the stuff that goes on.

quote:

Classes are going great. I got in Aspire for being smart, I'm still smart, so I'm able to pass all of them no problem.

My extracurricular activities are fine. I joined up with the Gay-Straight Alliance so I could help anyone on campus who might need it. My parents were cool when I came out - I know how important it is to have supportive people in your life.

Social life? Well...I almost died specifically because no one other then my parents would really have cared if I was gone. So you can probably guess how that's doing.

quote:

The new History teacher is Mr. Kohout. They managed to get someone to fill Mr. Benton's place real quickly - there's rumors that they were already looking for his replacement before he "suddenly quit" and Mr. Kohout had been trying to apply for a while.

quote:

Micheal Hayden is some local psycho who somehow manages to avoid getting in trouble with the law. Who knows how he does it, but everyone in Aspire knows to avoid him - he hates everyone who goes here. Honestly I think that sooner or later he's going to do something, but the School Safety Committee only goes after supernatural threats so I guess we have to hope the police do something about him eventually.

quote:

Look: Androgynous, serious face, casual clothes

Stats:

Charm+2, Cool+1, Sharp+1, Tough=0, Weird-1

Moves:

Oops!: If you want to stumble across something important, tell the Keeper. You will find something important and useful, although not necessarily related to your immediate problems.

What Could Go Wrong?: Whenever you charge into immediate danger without hedging your bets, hold 2. You may spend your hold to:
• Inflict +1 harm.
• Reduce someone’s harm suffered by 1.
• Take +2 forward on an act under pressure roll.

Don’t Worry, I’ll Check It Out: Whenever you go off by yourself to check out somewhere (or something) scary, mark experience.

Gear:

Pocket knife or multitool (1-harm hand useful small)
Small handgun (2-harm close loud reload)

Means of transport: Motorcycle

History:

• You are close relations. Tell them exactly how you’re related.
• Initially rivals, you both now respect each others’ talents.
• Romantically involved, or you just have a crush on them. Ask them which they prefer.
• They’re your hero, exactly the kind of monster hunter you aspire to be. Tell them why you worship them.
• Good friends. Tell them if it’s from way back, or recently.
• You’re a bit suspicious of them (maybe due to their unnatural powers or something like that).
• They introduced you to the existence of monsters. Tell them how you feel about that.
• You saved their life from a monster due to an unlikely chain of events. Tell them what.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 7, 2019

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Interested, bookmarking for later.

EDIT: Thinking an Initiate.

Keely Donovan, The Initiate

There've been monsters since the beginning of time. Read any old mythology, and there's dragons, faeries, beasts and whatever else. And where there's monsters, if you want to live, you need monster hunters. Those monster hunters? They make groups, club.. orders or whatever. Based on cultures, saints, gods and goddesses, heroes, whatever brings people together. You ever hear of the Spear of Ériu? If you have, then you know what this mark means. If you don't, well, I'll give you the short version. The Irish have been fighting monsters for as long as there's been people there. They got together real early on, started religious, but even when everyone went Christian, it kept the name. Ireland's mother is a better symbol than most. They keep those monsters down and out, make sure they don't take back the island. The sons and daughters of Ériu get initiated as teenagers, and then they get sent out to fight the good fight. The older members make sure the younger ones are taken care of, well educated to boot. Assuming they don't end up in a shallow grave or worse.

Until about a year ago, I didn't believe in any of that. Just books, just fairy tales. I was wrong. I had a lot to learn about them real fast. Fast track out of Boston, some private academy in upstate New York. They've got one scholarship spot through whatever weird connections they have. Called it a sports scholarship because there's no way in hell I'd be getting a scholarship for my academics. I'm not an idiot, just not really good with sitting down and reading, ya know? Dad always said I'd rather be running than sitting. Had no idea that this Safety Committee thing was some sort of monster hunting club, but definitely made it easier to make a few friends. Especially since I'm not exactly a people person. Friendly? Yeah. Just not much for small talk and talking about boys or whatever. Nothing wrong with boys, though. Just a lot of these legacy types got a silver spoon in their asses or.. gently caress, that's a mixed metaphor, isn't it? They're just -boring-. At least half the athletes are on scholarship, so that's a good distraction.

One secret society, one secret school club and a whole lot of monsters. Sounds like my kind of party.

Keely Donovan, The Initiate posted:

Name: Keely Donovan
Look: Woman, Agile Body, Mismatched Clothes

Stats:
Charm -1
Cool +1
Sharp 0
Tough +1
Weird +2

Sect: Spear of Ériu
Traditions: Flexible Tactics, Fighting Arts, Short-sighted

Said to have been formed before Ireland was Ireland, the Spear of Ériu has a millennium of written history that has moved out from beyond the island as time has passed. Wherever there are children of Ireland, there exists the Spear in some form or another. While there's a true hierarchy back in Ireland, most of the groups fall under regional cells of young hunters and older advisers. Rarely are there more than a handful in any area, but their traditions and history are passed from the advisers to the hunters through various methods. The main goal of the cells is survival above all else, both for the members and the region they're in. If there is a larger plan at work, it doesn't show outside of the occasional warning or pressing message.

The traditions are straightforward and simple, and have only changed with the times due to the localization of a lot of rituals to places outside of Ireland. Initiate members have a minor tattoo showing that they've survived at least one scrape with the supernatural. From there, it is traditional for the tattoo to expand as hunts are successful. This used to be done with scarring, but tattoos are much easier to hide in the modern day.

Moves

Sect Contacts: When you are in good standing with your Sect, at the beginning of each mystery, roll +Charm. On a 10+ they provide some useful info or help in the field. On a 7-9 you get a mission associated with the mystery, and if you do it you’ll get some info or help too. On a miss, they ask you to do something bad. If you fail a mission or refuse an order, you’ll be in trouble with the Sect until you atone.

Ancient Fighting Arts: When using an old-fashioned hand weapon, you inflict +1 harm and get +1 whenever you roll protect someone.

Fortunes: The Sect has ancient prophecies or divination techniques to predict the future. Once per mystery, you may use them. If you look at what the future holds, roll +Weird. On a 10+ hold 3, and on a 7-9 hold 1. On a miss, you get bad information and the Keeper decides how that affects you. Spend your hold to:
• have a useful object ready.
• be somewhere you are needed, just in time.
• take +1 forward, or give +1 forward to another hunter.
• retroactively warn someone about an attack, so that it doesn’t happen.

Helping Hand: When you successfully help out another hunter, they get +2 instead of the usual +1.

Gear
Steel-tipped Javelin (2-harm hand/close)
Silver-edged Dagger (1-harm hand silver)
Hunting Crossbow (2-harm close slow)
Sawed-Off Shotgun (3-harm close messy)
Chainmail Shirt (1-armor heavy)

History
• They are a lay member of your Sect.
• You fought together when the tide of monsters seemed unstoppable. Ask them how it went.
• Friends, but they first met you under your cover identity, and learned about the Sect later. Ask how they feel about that.
• They are your close relative, or partner/spouse. Decide between you exactly what the relationship is.
• Fellow ancient weapons/martial arts club members.
• They’re described in the prophecies, but the role they will play isn’t stated.
• An ex-member of the Sect, but still friends. Ask them why they left or got thrown out
• You met researching mystical weirdness, and you’ve been occult comrades ever since.

quote:

Like I said, I'm on a Scholarship. The Legacies are all a mix, but more crap than not. Combination of old money, new money and a bunch of prissy people who've never had to fight for anything in their lives. Not saying they're all useless, just most of them would end up dead doing something stupid like telling a vampire who their father was and that they should stop this instant and whatever else. Lot of words, not much action.

quote:

You ever seen a hellhound before? Pretty common all over the place, as far as myths go. Big wolves, never lose your scent, generally can only track based on the scent of a person's soul or whatever. Well, that's what I got -after- I first saw one of these things. Chased me half-way across the town in the middle of the night, never stopping. Didn't have time to be scared, so I just got resourceful. The city's sewers are pretty gross, but it is better than being dead. Gave me enough time to get back home, and put the smell in a nearby deer.

R-I-P to the deer, of course, but in the grand scheme, better than dying. Better than putting it on another human. Pretty sure the deer around here aren't endangered or anything.

quote:

Between the School Safety Committee and my tryouts with the various sports teams, my extracurriculars are going great. Can't decide which of the sports teams to join, but I gotta pick one or someone's gonna get suspicious. Trying to decide between Soccer and Lacrosse. It's a tough choice. Both have too many legacies for my liking, and boy, they're not very good. Cleaned one or two of them out already, which hasn't exactly made me too many friends in those circles.

That being said, most of the other people who want to be there for reasons other than looking good on a college application, we get along pretty nice. I mean, I still think some of them think I'm a bit scattered or whatever. But they're pretty cool, expect this could be a lot worse.

You know, like my schoolwork. Christ, all this homework that's distracting me from all the things I'm actually good at. I'm not gonna be failing. Probably. But still closer than I'd like for keeping inside my sports scholarship rules or whatever. Plus, I don't want to get my folks dragged into this. They still just think I'm good at sports.

quote:

Dr. Marcus Walker, Physics teacher. Apparently, he used to be a government scientist. That's what I heard. People can't seem to decide if he was sick of the research he was doing or if this was a favor from someone, but he's wicked smart and isn't half bad as a person. I dunno if he's my favorite teacher, he's a little stuffy about the doctor stuff, but he's at least willing to treat everyone the same.

quote:

Violet Starr, she runs the local grocery store. Not the big cahin, the actual grocery store pretty close to school. She's got a bunch of good fruit and vegetables there, fresher than anywhere else in town. She's got a complicated relationship with the school, but she mostly likes it. Good place for some part-time people to work there, most of the students pay for what they get and most of the real garbage rich folks don't want to step inside. Something about it smelling like patchouli, which.. whatever, better than smelling like some of you. Have you ever smelled some of those rich perfumes?

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 6, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Becky Donegal, The Cheerleader Magic User

quote:

What do the other Hunters know about you?

I mean, I'm on the cheer squad, my family isn't like RICH rich, but we're not hurting. At all. Even if I couldn't bring my car to Aspire.

Oh, also, I'm a witch. And yes, it's kind of an old and sexist term, but whatever. When your great, great, whatever, great grandmother was a witch, and all her daughters are witches, you're a witch 700 years later. But, I hadn't actually SEEN any supernatural beings before coming here, the occasional faerie circle or will o' the wisp aside.

quote:

I'm a Donegal, of course I'm a legacy. The scholarship kids are usually fine. It's not their fault. Not everybody can be descended from Irish royalty.

quote:

What close encounter with the spooky kind led you to joining the School Safety Committee.

So, one night there was this undead... thing. On the school grounds. I think maybe it was a wight? Or maybe just a fast zombie? Either way, I saw it stalking some students coming back from Lindhaven. I managed to drop a quick protection charm on them, not very good from that range, but enough to keep them safe back to the dorm.

So I grabbed my knife and my letter jacket and went down to... I don't know what. But I wasn't the only one hunting it, and helping destroy that... ew. Thing. That was enough to get me an invite. Or it was just that I patched everybody up afterwards. Honestly, it might be the healing magic.

quote:

So Aspire Cheer Squad is GREAT. Some of them are actually better than I am! I'm not trying to make waves or take over as the cheerleader queen, but it's nice to have some girls that can keep up with me. Plus, I'm able to use my magic to enchant Icy Hot to actually heal strained muscles, so we can push ourselves even harder.

Also, most of the other kids are actually super nice. Outside the cheer squad, I've got my eye on a couple of boys, a couple of girlfriends that I go to Lindhaven with, and like one girl that sometimes gives me copies of her notes.

Which is great, because class is like, SUPER hard. There's a test in like every class like every week! Most of them aren't even multiple choice! I haven't had a SINGLE true/false quiz since I got here!

quote:

Mr. Murphy, he's like, this SUPER old chemistry teacher. But like... my mom said he was her super old chemistry teacher. There's like no info on him online, but it seems like he's been there for-ev-errrr.

quote:

Ms. Kim runs the BEST nail salon place in Lindhaven, her girls are like, super great. I know she likes the money we bring in, because the rest of Lindhaven is like just NOT that concerned with their cuticles. But, like any good salon, Ms. Kim has THE BEST GOSSIP. She mostly listens, but if you ask the right questions, she knows EVERYTHING. I swear to gawd, most of my classmates don't seem to realize that just because somebody isn't speaking English at that moment doesn't mean they can't understand you.

quote:

Name: Becky Donegal
Look: Woman, Stylish Clothes, Sparkling Eyes

Stats:
Charm +1
Cool =0
Sharp +1
Tough -1
Weird +2

Combat Magic
You have a few attack spells you can use as weapons. When you use these spells to kick some rear end, roll +Weird instead of +Tough. Sometimes the situation may require you to act under pressure to cast your spell without problems. Your combat spells can combine any of your base spells with any of your effects. Combat magic, pick three (with at least one base):

Bases:
• Blast: 2-harm magic close obvious loud
• Ball: 1-harm magic area close obvious loud
• Missile: 1-harm magic far obvious loud
• Wall: 1-harm magic barrier close 1-armour obvious loud

Effects:
• Fire: Add “+2 harm fire” to a base. If you get a 10+ on a combat magic roll, the fire won’t spread.
• Wind: Add “+1 harm forceful” to a base, or “+1 armour” to a wall.
• Lightning or Entropy: Add “+1 harm messy” to a base.
• Ice: Adds “-1 harm +2 armour” to a wall, or “+1 harm restraining” to other bases.
• Earth: Add “forceful restraining” to a base.
• Necromantic: Add “life-drain” to a base

Moves:
Tools and Techniques: To use your combat magic effectively, you rely on a collection of tools and techniques. Cross off one; you’ll need the rest

• Consumables: You need certain supplies— powders, oils, etc—on hand, some will be used up each cast. If you don’t have them, take 1-harm ignore-armour when you cast.
• Foci: You need wands, staves, and other obvious props to focus. If you don’t have what you need, your combat magic does 1 less harm.
• Gestures: You need to wave your hands around to use combat magic. If you’re restrained, take -1 ongoing for combat magic.
• Incantations: You must speak in an arcane language to control your magic. If you use combat magic without speaking, act under pressure to avoid scrambling your thoughts.

Could’ve Been Worse: When you miss a use magic roll you can choose one of the following options instead of losing control of the magic:
• Fizzle: The preparations and materials for the spell are ruined. You’ll have to start over from scratch with the prep time doubled.
• This Is Gonna Suck: The effect happens, but you trigger all of the listed glitches but one. You pick the one you avoid.

Enchanted Clothing: Pick an article of every-day clothing–it’s enchanted without any change in appearance. Take -1 harm from any source that tries to get at you through the garment.

Practitioner: Choose two effects available to you under use magic. Take +1 to use magic whenever you choose one of those effects.
• Do one thing that i s beyond human limitations.
• Heal 1-harm from an injury, or cure a disease, or neutralize a poison.

Gear:
Ritual Knife (1-harm Hand)

History:
Go around the group again. When it’s your turn, pick one for each of the other hunters:
• They act as your conscience when the power goes to your head. Ask them about the last time this happened.
• Blood relation, though you were out of contact for years. Ask them how they reconnected with you.
• Mentor from another life. Ask them what they taught you.
• Your magic-fueled rescue of them introduced them to the supernatural. Tell them what creature was after them.
• An old rivalry has turned into a tight friendship. Tell them what you once fought over.
• You thought they were dead, and now they’re back. What “killed” them?
• They’re an on-again/off-again love interest. Ask them what keeps you apart. Tell them what keeps you together.
• A comrade-in-arms. You’ve faced the biggest threats together.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 6, 2019

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Halla of the Rainsong Petersen, the Exile

"Please, gather round if you wish to hear my tale - but I warn you that it is not for the faint of heart, and stout hearts are of a rare commodity in this place.

You might think it mad of me - indeed having seen what I have seen of this world I would blame you not, but if I speak a word untrue then the Dark take my tongue; and know you may believe me when I say that in this case the truth is greater strange than any falsehood I could speak would be.

I only wish that it had been my brother to come here, rather than I - for he is both the more loquacious of the two, and of greater knowledge of the sorcerous underpinnings of things that could with greater clarity explain, but alas, you only have Halla of the Rainsong - though in truth I am better suited to certain...other aspects of things than my brother would be.

To delay no longer - I am not from your world. Oh, I am from Earth, indeed. But my Earth and this Earth have precious little alike. This New York of yours, is the realm of Ebonmire from where I hail. I can tell you far less about my world than yours nevertheless as my world has ever long been held enthralled by vile and pitiless gods known as the Ruinous. What little of the histories remain tell of a time when the Fair Folk held dominion over the Earth, but through their endless debauchery and untamed curiosity awakened the sleeping evil that would prove their undoing. What few of their kind remain exist as twisted mockeries of their former selves - slaves and hunting hounds for their masters.

It was no cause for celebration when the Fae fell, for the Ruinous brought forth many foul spirits and demons to do their bidding and scour the world. Our sun was blotted out - forever we exist...existed...in the cruel pall of twilight or the bitter shadow of night. The precious few of us remaining have no choice but to submit and die, or fight and die. It has been this way for generations, and only through the never-ending sacrifice of my forebears have I lived long enough to come here...

...here to this...place. Either a paradise or a hell, I cannot be sure of which. So much light and so much noise...and so many people! But I get ahead of myself...

My brother and I belonged...belong...to a band of scavengers and hunters, and some would say, warriors and protectors against the darkness - perhaps foolishly we endeavor to carve out a little corner free of the grasp of the Ruinous. Or else at least survive long enough to grant someone else the same opportunity. We came to this city...well, our version of this city, Hardholm, seeking work as fiendslayers. And we found work, indeed. First, nothing but a few mischievous imps or the occasional changeling trick, but eventually...

...eventually we found the demon Adromallion. Or he found us. He had been lured to Hardholm by our actions - sent perhaps by the Ruinous to put a stop to our resistance. Or perhaps it was as my brother conjectured - that he came because it was there that the space between worlds was more porous - perhaps the plague of demons came to Hardholm, too, because the crossing was laid bare. For whatever the reason, for thirty turnings of the moon, Adromallion sent his hordes to Hardholm each Twilight, and each Midnight he would harry the sleeping with nightmares and spectres.

And for those thirty turnings, we held off his forces and tended to those he plagued with his visions. Until finally, he clawed his way into the mind of one of my compatriots and opened the gates of Hardholm and sauntered in. I watched, transfixed in horror and rage as he tore his way out of my friend's skin in the ruins of the temple and desecrated the alter. And so blind was I in my rage that I charged him as he opened the space between worlds, and we tumbled in together.

And then...I woke up here.

So soft was the bed I woke in that I thought somehow that I had entered the whorehouse back in the Dam of New Amstel - but the light - the sun - disavowed me of any notion of impropriety. I soon learned that here was not there, no Hardholm in Ebonmire, but instead some Academy near some place called "Lindhaven" in the realm of "New York". And indeed, despite that my arms and armor had come with me, there was no Halla of the Rainsong the Slayer of Demons, but a Halla "Petersen", a student on some sort of athletics scholarship.

But the amulet that my brother made, the one that senses demons, was still glowing slightly - so I knew there was indeed still an Adromallion.

I will admit, that the adjustment has been difficult. Oh, yes certainly there was the first time I asked what the glowing thing in the sky was that I quickly needed to cover up with humor, or my unfamiliarity with your sending stones or horseless carts that has caused no small degree of confusion, but also, this Earth is so very unlike my Earth. You have so much, and yet so many seem in so much need, from what the glowing squares seem to say.

Thankfully, while I am nothing but a strong swordarm, I am not witless, so I have been able, so far, to keep my origin to myself. I believe I have even fooled this Halla's parents if our sending stone conversations have been any indication.

I do not know what has happened to Halla Petersen - if she is now in Ebonmire and dealing with my life, or if I have somehow subsumed her. But I suspect Adromallion knows - and when I find him I shall force him to reveal that to me, before I force him to open up for me the way back home, and then I shall kill him."

quote:

Look:woman, warrior's body, hastily scavenged modern clothing, mystical amulet

Stats:
Charm -1
Cool +2
Sharp +1
Tough +2
Weird +0

Moves:

Warrior:If you are fighting with (and against) old-fashioned hand weapons and suffer harm, you suffer 1 less harm. Monster attacks almost always count as old-fashioned for this move.

Confused: Mark experience whenever your bafflement with the modern world gets in the way of monster hunting.

Gear:
Ancient Armor (1-armour)

Sword (2-harm, hand, messy)
Handgonne (1-harm, hand/close, loud volatile smokey reload)
Martial Arts (your unarmed attacks do 1-harm)

Origin:
You were taken from your home in the past, and dropped into the modern world with only what you were carrying. I am from The Realm of Ebonmire in the year of the Shadow's Stirring.
Your nemesis came to the modern world as well, and is aware you followed it. It will try and kill you if you don't kill it first. Decide what it is (with the Keeper's agreement): My nemesis is a demon named Adromallion.

How did you get transported to the modern day? Pick one:
You were pursuing your nemesis

History:
They are a distant descendant of your family line.

They belong to an organisation that existed in your home time. Decide between you what your relationship was with that group, and how you'll be remembered by them.

They showed understanding when you were confused and overwhelmed.

When you met, you immediately liked and respected each other.

They possess a message or item left for you from your comrades in the past. Ask them to tell you what it is and how it came into their possession.

They had a vision, premonition, or prophecy that mentioned your exile. Tell them what the vision showed them about you.

You both became hunters because of the same sort of monster attacked you or your kin. Decide between you what it was.

They were the first person to take you in, explain the modern world, and learn about your origins. Work out how you managed to communicate (perhaps you speak a common language, or ancient and modern versions of the same one).

"I have been told that since the Petersens are not of a particularly wealthy line, that the reason that Halla Petersen has been admitted Aspire Academy is due to her excellence in some manner of athletic exercise called 'Lacrosse' - which is all well and good since I seem to have been physically transported into her life, meaning I am still within my own body - I can count all the scars and such and they are in the right place.

Your question, however, is how I feel about the students of Legacy, who have come here because, from what I gather, they belong to one of the various noble houses that exist in this place. I have no particular animus towards any noble - in fact some of the finest scholars back home come from noble lines. However, I suppose due to Halla Petersen's 'scholarship' status and some signifier that the other students use to refer to me - 'jock', I think it was, many of the students of Legacy have a bit of a distaste for me. No matter, as far as I am concerned, once my business is done Halla Petersen will hopefully have her life back, and if I am lucky, I will have not done too much damage to it in the intervening time."

"Aside from Adromallion, I had thought this world perhaps some manner of rest - there did not seem to be anything more than passing strange from what I could tell. And when the amulet started glowing more brightly again, the first time, I had thought it perhaps because the fiend himself had come calling. But when I found an imp - alone, on it's own, starving for lack of fresh blood in the woods - as the source, I knew that the wound in reality that had brought me here was still open, or at least, openable.

After dispatching the creature, I was approached by an apparently secret society of monster hunters here. They have been useful in correcting some of my grammar in this world, and are amongst the few that have been accepting of my tale. I do not think they entirely believe me, at least not all of them, but for now...it is useful to work in a unit again."

"I admit...Lacrosse is...fun. If simple. There are frequent breaks, so it is the sort of game you would teach to small children back home, but apparently I am rather good at it. Er, after I learned the rules, that is. With that being said, it would appear that is considered an 'Extracurricular Obligation', despite it being the reason for Halla Petersen's acceptance to the Academy.

Classes are, well, fine. I admit some of the concepts are a bit beyond me. But I was fortunate to be literate back home, and your script is not overly different from the common Tradestongue, so I have adapted. Fortunately, it appears Halla Petersen was at least passingly concerned with her grades as I understand that she was required to keep a certain level to maintain her scholarship, and so she took meticulous notes. I have used these to more-or-less maintain her general averages within her various academic endeavors. I may not excel, but I do not think that I will cause her any particular troubles in her scholarly pursuits.

But, aside from the School Safety Committee and my teammates in Lacrosse, I have not been able to maintain Halla's social endeavors. I...am a warrior and slayer of demons, I am no bard! Even if I were, I...could not care less about which individual is engaged in a courtship with which other individual, nor have I any cause to sit and watch the glowing screens for hours and hours as some are wont to do. Apparently Halla was a fair bit more...engaged in her social life than I have been able to keep up with - and it is for lack of trying. I recognize that I clearly do not speak in the same fashion as the people in this New York, and I would imagine that the Halla from here likely did, so I have limited social exposures in an attempt to not...destroy her ability to reclaim such after I have found my way home."

"There is a man who teaches geometry (which is apparently, to my consternation, not a sacred art here), who goes by the name of Herman Adelmann. Oh, a thousand pardons, it is "Mr." Adelmann, I have been informed, as apparently in this world I am no longer considered a fully formed adult, especially by this man. Despite the fact that, given his rather rotund proportions, I wager I have seen a dozen more battles than he, and have brought down monstrosities twice his size!

I...don't particularly care about any sort of rumor mill, nor how Mr. Adelmann proved himself scholarly enough to attempt to teach geometry to non-sorcerous people, and where I come from people generally are not cowardly enough to ask others about the accomplishments of other people but rather would ask the person in question, but apparently he was a student of Legacy at the Academy many years ago, and proved himself adept in the art. He was given his position after returning from yet another academy, despite, as I said, him knowing far, far less about sacred geometry than even a first year adept would know."

"When I first awoke in my 'dormitory bedroom', after gaping at the sun until my mouth ran dry, I made for the temple, thinking perhaps that this was some sort of black magic cast by Adromallion and that I had simply been shunted off to some other building and not another reality.

There was instead some other manner of temple - in far less ruin but also of a far less sacred seeming atmosphere. Rather than the ruin of holy artifacts from a bygone era, there seemed to be many items of observance to some sort of slain god. The tender of the temple has the gall to call himself my Father, but I do not believe that we are related as Halla Petersen's parents live somewhere to the west.

Father Jacob, as he calls himself, is old. He seems to wear a smile on his face when he talks to you, but it is not a smile that reaches his eyes. I have seen faces like his all my life - people who have been beaten down into submission by the gods. His bitterness is obvious to me, but it does not seem that way for the townspeople.

Indeed, he, like many here, seem to reserve his bitterness for me and the other students. From what I gather, there is some manner of dispute between the Academy and the townsfolk. I do not know what it is or care about the specifics, but any student who is not local to the town is frequently henpecked by the local individuals - Father Jacob amongst them. He is the worst sort of collaborator to the Ruinous, the sort who will attempt to bring others into darkness by claiming it salvation and threatening damnation to any who do not convert. But instead of killed for the umbrage or driven into the wild places, his madness seems to be shared by many, and he is allowed his place to speak and infect others with his darkness. I have been watching him and his followers carefully."

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 13, 2019

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Victoria Morgan the Chosen

You! I know this is your fault somehow! I had the perfect life you know, not a care in the world beyond worrying that my dress didn't match my shoes or that my father might cut off my allowance if my behaviour got out of hand. Not that it ever did of course. (At least nothing he ever found out about anyway.) And Now? Now there's ghosts coming out the woodwork, fae with glamours trying to trick me and pissed-off werewolves trying to kill me. Have you ever tried to get werewolf blood off of a Gucci handbag? I have, and now that bag is ruined! It was one of my favourites too.

What do you mean you have no idea who I am? I am Victoria Morgan. Vicky to my friends. Although you of course will refer to me as Victoria, Miss Morgan if you want some brownie points. Yes those Morgans. old eastern money, we've been here since before there was a United States.

quote:

Legacy of course. Like all the proper students here I was signed up at birth and I knew I'd have a place kept for me when I hit the right age. After all both my father and grandfather have donated heavily to the school over the years. As for the scholarship students, well... they're an unfortunate necessity in this day and age. Still if they pay attention and follow the example of us real students, well you never know they may make something acceptable of themselves.

quote:

It started with the dreams, nightmares I suppose. I was being chased by.... something. All fangs, claws and teeth, if I didn't run fast enough in the dream it would catch me and devour me. And then I'd awake in my own bed a cold sweat with my heart thumping. In the dream I soon learned to outrun the beast. And then I found it in the dream, The Sword, my Sword. Of course my first thought was to try and use it on the beast that pursued me. It didn't go well. On subsequent nights though I'd have the same nightmares, until my wild desperate flailings connected with the beasts neck. The night after I managed to do it with a bit more precision, while getting mauled by the beast. The night after I did it while only getting scratched by the beast and well you get the picture.

These dreams continued until one night I awoke with a cold sweat. And I heard the sound from my nightmares, the sound of the beast. Hastily I ran through the familiar corridors desperately seeking something, anything to use a weapon. Eventually I arrived at the gym exhausted, and to my surprise and shock there it was floating in mid-air as if it belonged there The Sword from my dreams. I grabbed the blade and I swear I felt a tingle down my arm. I didn't have time to consider it though as the beast burst through one of the fire exits. Not even thinking, only reacting I held the sword like so... yeah just like in my dream. And I neatly bisected the beasts neck. Unlike my dream however there was blood and gore everywhere. Over me, over the floor over the bleachers. I panicked, and fled back to my room.

The next morning the gym had been restored to pristine condition. I thought i'd dreamt the whole thing. What I didn't dream though was the note I found under my door.

the note posted:

If you're going to cause that kind of extraordinary mess the least you can do is help clean it up in future.

Signed

The School Safety Committee

I've been a member ever since.

quote:

Well fighting a werewolf all night is no excuse for missing a party, I have obligations to keep up after all. And the social connections I make here with my peers are going to determine my place in the world. I've only had to miss a few play rehearsals thankfully we're doing the Wizard of Oz I still say I was ripped off, I can't believe they gave one of the scholarship types the role of Dorothy while I got stuck as the Wicked Witch of the West. Standards are slipping mark my words.
They're not the only thing slipping, my grades are also dropping, but well you try dealing with trigonometry after only only three hours sleep because someone thought they'd seen a fae in the greenhouse. I mean if I want to get into the right

quote:

Tell me about a teacher! What do they teach? What's the rumour on how they caught the eye of the Academy to land a teaching gig?

You do know the drama teacher is the Erika Bennett. What do you mean who? flaming philistines, She's been the star lead in numerous Broadway plays. I had the pleasure of seeing her in a live performance once. She totally deserved the Tony award she got for Chicago . I'd heard she'd left the stage, but I didn't know she'd retired to teach drama here. What a coup for the school! I don't know how much they're paying her but it's worth every penny. What can i say, I love the theatre. I'd love to be an actress but I think my parents would disown me if I did.

quote:

Townies, Who cares about them. If it wasn't for the college, Lindhaven would be an irrelevant flyspeck. To give the smarter townies credit they know it and keep their fellow scum in line. The best of the bunch which is no great achievement let me tell you is the town mayor, Daniel "Big Dan" Jansen he's been elected mayor of this dump several times and while he makes the occasional noise at the college is smart enough to know who pays the bills for this town. Especially since this year's a election year and the wrong statements could see his opponent getting some quite juicy funding.

quote:

(Optional) A good IC Thread Name

The only thing scarier than the monsters is the cost of tuition.

quote:

Name: Victoria Morgan
Look: Girl, controlled face, expensive clothes

Stats:
Charm+2
Cool-1
Sharp+1
Tough+2
Weird-1

Moves:

Fate
You get to decide what sort of fate is in store for you. Pick how you
found out about your fate, from the list below.
How You Found Out (pick one):

Nightmares and visions

Then pick two heroic and two doom tags for your fate from the lists
below. This is how your fate will unfold. It’s okay to pick contradictory
tags: that means your fate is pulling you both ways.
Whenever you mark off a point of Luck, the Keeper will throw
something from your fate at you.

Heroic (pick two):
  • You are the Champion
  • Visions
Doom (pick two):
  • Failure
  • Doubt

Destiny’s Plaything: At the beginning of each mystery, roll
+Weird to see what is revealed about your immediate future.
On a 10+, the Keeper will reveal a useful detail about the coming
mystery. On a 7-9 you get a vague hint about it. On a miss, something
bad is going to happen to you.

I’m Here For A Reason: There’s something you are destined to
do. Work out the details with the Keeper, based on your fate. You
cannot die until it comes to pass. If you die in play, then you
must spend a Luck point. You will then, somehow, recover or be
returned to life. Once your task is done (or you use up all your
Luck), all bets are off.

Resilience: You heal faster than normal people. Any time your
harm gets healed, heal an extra point. Additionally, your wounds
count as 1-harm less for the purpose of the Keeper’s harm moves.

Gear:
The Blade of Champions (Handle, Artifact, Blade, Long) (2-harm close balanced magic. cold iron)

History:
Go around the group again. On your turn, pick one of these for each
other hunter:
  • You are close blood relations. Ask them exactly how close.
  • They are destined to be your mentor. Tell them how this was
    revealed.
  • Your best friend in the world, who you trust totally.
  • A rival at first, but you came to a working arrangement.
  • Romantic entanglement, or fated to be romantically entangled.
  • Just friends, from school or work or something. Ask them what.
  • They could have been the Chosen One instead of you, but they
    failed some trial. Tell them how they failed.
  • You saved their life, back when they didn’t know monsters were
    real. Tell them what you saved them from.

Luck

You can mark off a Luck box to either change a roll you just made to a 12,
as if you had rolled that; or change a wound you have just taken to count as
0-harm, no matter how bad it was. If your Luck boxes all get filled, you’ve
run out of good luck.

Chosen special: When you spend a point of Luck, the Keeper will bring
your fate into play.

Luck: 7/7

Harm

When you suffer harm, mark off the number of boxes equal to harm suffered.
When you reach four harm, you are “Unstable"

Harm 0/7
Unstable: (Unstable injuries will worsen as time passes)

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 9, 2019

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Interested, will make a character soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm in probably

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Kory Adamson, the Flake

Arctic Monkeys - Piledriver Waltz

That's right, singer and guitarist for Wirewolves. My brother and I are really excited to protect the Academy from whatever it is I've been seeing outside. You're letting me bring in my brother, right? He's like the one person I trust in the whole world. He doesn't know about the plan, but he... I mean, he's my drummer, y'know? My brother and my drummer. Like, you get it.

Anyway, there I was, packing Ruby (my guitar, obvi) toward my dorm after practice. There's a way the big statue lines up that makes some sort of pentagram thing (not like literally a pentagram but that kind of IDEA, you know?) and it caught my eye in a bad way, really drew me in. I couldn't stop staring at it, so I drew the symbol on my arm and then in my notebook when I was back inside. So it was there, and then, like... I saw it everywhere! On signs, on people, out in the world. It blew my mind! There's a system in place and we're just... glancing over it.

I put it on the Wirewolves album. I don't like showing it to people unless they want to buy it. It's only twenty bucks if you're interested. Big Ideas Cast Big Shadows. That's Kameron on the cover--talking about big things, can you believe we're related?--and there's that symbol. I'm not giving this up, it's big. I looked it up after that and there's all sorts of places like this, with different symbols scattered around. This is legit a thing! There's no telling how deep it goes, but man, now I'm in it! One day, I'll make an album that's just all "monsters are real and the school knows" and blow the whole thing! Just gotta... y'know, not get kicked out. Or killed, I guess.

Huh? Oh yeah, we're Legacy... although it doesn't really feel like it. We're here because of our dad and grandpa, since they both got scouted to football teams after playing here. We're here to continue the "tradition," but neither of us caught the bug. Anyway, the school is way different than what Dad described, and he glossed over that the locals are out-n-out mad at us. The whole "band" thing kinda pisses off the Ships, but Kam's able to hang with them no problem. I don't really fit in with most of the students either way. I have a few kinda friends but that's about it.

What close encounter with the spooky kind led you to joining the School Safety Committee?
Anyway, so I got in a fight at a pop-up concert in town with some townies who seemed honestly out of their minds. I was holding my own, right? I put some pads into my gig gloves so I can throw a punch when stuff like this happens, but then there was this thing looking at me with these red eyes. It towered over them (it looked just like the album cover!) and pointed at me. They swarmed. I got hauled back to the Aspire infirmary by Kam, and while I was laid out the SSC came by and told me I had to serve some hours with them to make up for my indiscretion. I'm on special... I guess probation? I have to attend the meetings or they pull the plug on Wirewolves.

Which sucks because the other condition is I need to up my grades. I try to pay attention in class, but I think I'm doing it wrong. I focus on whatever the teacher's doing, but then I always end up asleep on the desk. I don't get it! It's like they're hypnotizing me... do they know about me? Oh drat, what if they're onto me?! But like, that's why people don't like me. They think I'm just here to party or whatever, but I'm trying! Or trying to try, y'know?

I've been trying to make myself known in town, since the Academy is getting me pissed. I'm trying to show them that we're not all privileged jerks, y'know? Plus, I don't notice as much weird poo poo out there. And... not to brag, but I'm dating someone on the reg. Destiny, I mean you can't make that up. It was just one of those things, in the coffee shop. She recognized me from one of our Battle of the Bands at The Nest and we just hit it off. I invited her to practice and she loved it. Then... well, y'know.

But yeah, Wirewolves is doing fine in theory. We're actually part of the Contemporary Music Club, which students can join to be part of some school-friendly bands that perform together each quarter. They focus the groups on one of a few sanitized versions of the major genres and give all our songs a once-over before we can play anything. Like, I get it, y'know?

Oh yeah, that club is run by Mr. Ignatius Tig. He's from some old prog band that he doesn't want to tell us about because our minds would be too blown. He has one picture of him in all his 70s glory, hanging up in his office next to his degrees. Who knows what brought him here, but if he's for real, he's a rock god! You wouldn't know it talking to him though. His edges are dulled, his goatee is trim and his hair is gone. I tend to get him in good spirits, but he still knows when to put me in line.

Anyway, Destiny. She's 18, just out of P.S. 143, and working in that thrift store, Changes--funnily enough, where I get most of my outfits. I didn't recognize her until she brought that up during our first date. Now she acts as kind of a liaison, setting aside a couple outfits she knows I'd love, and I do! She's amazing, way different than most of the townies. She told me that she was horribly jealous of Aspire until she graduated, started working full-time, and got a little counselling. Now she kinda sees everything as... neutral. Kinda boring for me, but somebody's gotta be there to rein me in.

The Flake posted:

Name: Kory Adamson
Look: Man, wild eyes, casual clothes

Stats:
Charm+1
Cool-1
Sharp+2
Tough+1
Weird=0

Moves:
Connect the Dots: At the beginning of each mystery, if you look for the wider patterns that current events might be part of, roll +Sharp. On a 10+ hold 3, and on a 7-9 hold 1. Spend your hold during the mystery to ask the Keeper any one of the following questions:
- Is this person connected to current events more than they are saying?
- When and where will the next critical event occur?
- What does the monster want from this person?
- Is this connected to previous mysteries we have investigated?
- How does this mystery connect to the bigger picture?

Suspicious Mind: If someone lies to you, you know it.

Contrary: When you seek out and receive someone's honest advice on the best course of action for you and then do something else instead, mark experience. If you do exactly the opposite of their advice, you also take +1 ongoing on any moves you make pursuing that course.

Gear:
9mm (2-harm close loud)
Garrote (3-harm intimate)
Weighted gloves (1-harm hand)

History:
Go around the group again. On your turn, pick one of these for each other hunter:
- They're somehow tied into it all. You've been keeping an eye on them.
- They're a close relative. Ask them to decide exactly what.
- Old friends, who originally met through a long chain of coincidences.
- You went through hell together: maybe a monster, maybe military service, maybe time in an institution. Whatever it was, it bound you together, and you have total trust in each other.
- Members of the same support group.
- Fellow freaks.
- The signs all pointed to working together. So you found them and now you work together.
- You know each other through cryptozoology and conspiracy theory websites.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 13, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Withdrawn.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 7, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm interested!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bianca, the Spooky

Project Starsignal, Subject 48.9 Monitoring Report
2019 Q1 Update

quote:

Scholarship. Deeeefinitely scholarship. I gave up on finding out I was a long lost Vanderbilt when I was eleven. Wards of the state get automatically applied or something. Didn't think it was to places this fancy. Not like I didn't have the grades. Probably better than most of the legacy rich kids, most of the other scholarship kids too. When you're bouncing family to family, studying's a nice getaway.

To review, Subject 48.9 has been placed in the Aspire Academy to allow further observation of subject's developing abilities. Placement at the Aspire Academy opens possibilities for growth in directions not observed in other Subjects.

quote:

What close encounter with the spooky kind led you to joining the School Safety Committee?

Ghosts.

gently caress yes I'm serious.

The *school* was founded in 1973, but you think this building was new? No, not a chance. At least the twenties, probably earlier, none of those older records are online.

And people died here. Something about my power lets me see them. It's easiest to do late at night, when the rest of the school is asleep. I can follow them through the halls, into the basement - it wasn't all storage rooms back then. It was a party, from the costumes, and I....hell, I'm pretty sure they were *sacrificed*.

Monitoring indicates direct observation of Type III Spectral Entities (See Pub. 271) by Subject. This is a predicted by low-probability development of baseline treatments.

quote:

Kicking the crap out of classes. Seriously, I'll be valedictorian without anybody seeing me coming. Outside that, I've always kept to myself - keep away when I couldn't drown out. When I got here, a couple other kids, Steven and Katie and Randall, pulled me into their garage band (yes, we don't have a garage, stuff it), 'cause they needed a drummer. So I do that. And the safety committee, obviously.

Subject continues to excel academically, despite outward disinterest, likely due to latent use of abilities. Transfer to Aspire has indicued some degree of social contact amongst similarly alligned social peers. In general, subject remains an "outsider".

quote:

Mister Cutler used to be a spy. He doesn't *say* it, but the way he teaches History...almost makes it sound like he was there when he talks about the Contras and stuff like that. He's been helping me with meditation, focus. It helps keep the voices out, filter all the minds around me. Which makes me think....is he like me? I don't think so. I haven't tried to read him outright, I don't want to set anything off.

While Aspire faculty are generally ignorant of the true nature of their students, a subset have either deduced the reality or posess inside knowledge. Cutler, William H. (Ref. 90123892-3), formerly of Project Star Gate. No abilities on file.

quote:

Town's good. Feels more like home, not some stuffy theater piece for rich fucks. Got a decent lovely club, a weird high-concept theater, that kind of thing. Lots of people down there don't like us, though, for being at the rear end in a top hat academy. That's what they call it - super creative.

But we still go, and that means fights. Got into my first actual fight there last week! It was weird. I am not a fighty girl. But Kevin Unger is this bruiser of a guy from the local high school, has like a second-rate biker gang. I was down in town with some of the theater kids and Kevin started this super dumb fight about parking spaces. He let loose with the vilest stuff shouting and screaming. I've heard a lot and...ick. Ick.

So I punched him. I don't know where it came from. I wanted to like, melt his brain, but I couldn't, so I punched him. I think he was too surprised to do anything fast, so we all bolted.

Subject recently took to physical action in defense of schoolmates against local undesirables. This unexpected development may hint at increasing confidence and bonding with schoolmates, and bear further observation.

Report ends.

quote:

Name: Bianca Deveraux
Look: Girl, dark eyes, casual clothes

Stats:
Charm +1
Cool 0
Sharp +1
Tough -1
Weird +2

Spooky Special: When you mark off Luck boxes, your dark side's needs will get nastier.

Moves:

Telepathy: You can read people’s thoughts and put words in their mind. This can allow you to investigate a mystery or read a bad situation without needing to actually talk. You can also manipulate someone without speaking. You still roll moves as normal, except people will not expect the weirdness of your mental communication.

The Sight: You can see the invisible, especially spirits and magical influences. You may communicate with (maybe even make deals with) the spirits you see, and they give you more opportunities to spot clues when you investigate a mystery

Tune In: You can attune your mind to a monster or minion. Roll +Weird. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. On a miss, the monster becomes aware of you. Spend one hold to ask the Keeper one of the following questions, and gain +1 ongoing while acting on the answers:
• Where is the creature right now?
• What is it planning to do right now?
• Who is it going to attack next?
• Who does it regard as the biggest threat?
• How can I attract its attention?

Gear:
• 9mm (2-harm close loud)
• Big knife (1-harm hand)

The Dark Side:
Pick three for your dark side:
Soulless, Paranoia, Violence/Poor Impulse Control?

History:
• They taught you to control your powers, to the extent that you can control them at all.
• You are blood-kin. Decide together exactly what.
• You are married, or romantically involved. Decide between you the exact relationship.
• You’re old friends, and trust each other completely.
• You used your powers on them one time. Decide if it was for selfish reasons or not, and tell them if they found out about it.
• You’ve known each other some time, but since your powers manifested, you keep them at a distance emotionally.
• You hope they can help you control your powers.
• They saw you use your powers for selfish or vindictive reasons. Ask them who the victim was, and then tell them what you did.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 8, 2019

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Lionel Caffrey, the Professional
Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9Hrq9dzNSs

Extract from dossier on Probationary Agent Caffrey, no code name assigned, prepared and compiled by Agent (redacted), code named Solomon. Dated August 5, 20XX.

quote:

Aspire has a music scholarship, and I worked my rear end off to earn it. I got my GPA back up. I practiced Chopin on the piano until I thought my fingers were going to bleed. And I want to believe the judge from the scholarship committee meant it when he said my performance impressed him. But if a dragon or god or something told me I'd die if I guessed wrong, I'd say Legacy.

Peter Caffrey is my father. ...Yeah, the CEO of Albion Technologies. There's also a bunch of political and historical poo poo his family is wrapped up in. It's why they think they're a bunch of aristocrats. Bastard or not, I had the right last name to get into Aspire without much trouble. The Caffreys gave their approval because they figure I won't embarrass them if I never have a reason to need anything.

Anyway, after all that, it would be pretty hosed up to treat my classmates like Scholarships instead of individuals. We'll be okay, as long as they do the same for me.

Additional Notes:

Far be it from me to give a history lesson where it isn't appropriate, but the Agent understates the temporal (if unofficial) power enjoyed by the Caffrey family. Owing to the actions of one Adrian Caffrey, his line has held this authority since the days leading up to the American Revolution. I have seen a Faustian pact, and it would not require one to embrace the benefits of his parentage. With that said, in the last fifty years, the some of the Caffrey family have delved into to the grayer side of American politics to maintain their power...

- Agent (redacted), "Solomon"

Agreed. He needs to learn how to play the game. On another note...our father loved your mother and he loves you. I wish you would understand that.

- Probationary Agent (Melanie) Caffrey, "Red King", Black Sheep Unit

quote:

The boss signed me up. But I'm sure it was very secretive.

Seriously though, I've personally been spooky for a couple years now. I didn't have kind of powers that let you teleport or shapeshift. I was lucky. No, literally lucky. Like Domino. Only whenever I would get into trouble, or have to find a way past something bad, but that's the best time to be lucky. According to Solomon, I got my powers when I subconsciously called a magical force (he used the term Emblem) to my side. It judged me worthy and bonded to my soul. That was my first spell. My powers have developed since then.

In retrospect, my close encounter probably wasn't a coincidence (do I even get those, anymore?). I took a detour on my way home because of construction. Because of that, I ran into Melanie just in time for some rear end in a top hat to try and mug her. An rear end in a top hat with red eyes, pointy ears, and an aura which sucks up heat. Shorthand for the more common types of demon, if you're taking notes. I threw my backpack at him. Mel and I might never see eye to eye, but...come on. I hope I don't have to explain why.

Makes me sad to say it, but the backpack didn't bring him down. The magic bullet did, though. After Solomon shot the demon and rescued us, Mel gave him this little briefcase that looked like it should have been handcuffed to her. So yeah. I can't even be supernatural without the Caffreys getting involved.

I still took his offer to be a teenage spy wizard, and again, I hope I don't have to explain why. It's not as as cool as it sounds. 'Scuse me while I destroy your childish naivete. Fights to the death are pants-darkening scary, and the rest of it is just like school. Except with magic and weapons. But I can't walk away from this. Not now. People need someone to protect them.

The DSO are all split into cliques over stuff like how much the public should know, who to kill, and who should be killing. Solomon went on the run after an old friend turned on him. ...It's a bad habit of his. We're not part of a big agency with lots of backup. The boss has money and gear, but also a lot of old injuries that literally are never going to heal. He needed someone do the things he can't anymore. For the time being, that's mostly going to be me. Solomon signed me up for the SSC because figured I should have some help in fighting the good fight.

Additional Notes:

That the United States government has the services of an Department of Special Objectives is a polite and legal fiction, maintained by the factions of genuine personnel and mercenaries who compose it. They would lose their funding, otherwise. The title of Agent is similarly meaningless. Unfortunately, they are able to agree on little else. As noted above, popular points of contention include the actual purpose of the department, as well as the need for (and rights of) Extranormal Personnel.

I won't say I'm grateful to be out of action, but I would sooner suffer this enchanted wound than more in-fighting. I fear it is only a matter of time before a power struggle begins.

quote:

You actually have the right order, there.

Okay, define "great". I'm keeping up with my homework, and I aced a pop quiz. If this was one of this old instructional VHS tapes, I'm sure I'd be giving the camera a thumbs up, now.

Aside from the occasional rich rear end in a top hat or regular rear end in a top hat, most of my classmates are okay. I really can't complain. I've even got a few friends.

I'd love to be in the Music Club, but I'm still a spy. I stay up all night watching grainy video footage and translating dead languages. By the way, something is not right about this town. There's been a weird vibe this past year that even some mundane humans can sense. And the number of guns pointed at me is up about 50%. But part of the problem is the guys holding those guns have extra arms to aim them with.

Additional Notes:

You need improvement in all three areas, my boy.

quote:

I don't know if Solomon thinks of teaching as a hobby, or actual job, but there he is. Which means Miles McDowell is probably not his real name. One of the staff knows what it is. The boss is teaching English Literature with their permission.

quote:

Aside from my sister, there are a handful of other magic teenage spies running around.

This is Neal Hirano, aka "Nephilim". He thinks the public should know everything, we should be killing supernaturals to keep the world safe, and anyone who can pull it off should be doing the killing. Neal leads a faction who call themselves the Black Sheep. They bill themselves as outcasts. Agents who were used and abandoned by their former governments. He doesn't care about the feud between Aspire and P.S. 143. He just needs his people to think he does. Causing trouble is good practice for real missions, I guess.

This is Mathilda Kirsch, aka "Seraph". She's from Internal Affairs. She thinks the public already know too much, we should only kill supernaturals who step out of line (but there are a lot of them), and only people with the right skills and training should be doing the killing. Matt is not actually an angel with a fiery sword (named Arondight), but it'd be hard to tell the difference. She said she's here to keep the town from blowing up. She also doesn't trust me. Matt doesn't care about Aspire, either, but it's because school is just part of her cover. She's all business.

Both of them attend P.S. 143, and used to be Solomon's apprentices...until they had a difference of opinion on how to do their job.

Additional Notes:

The younger Agent Caffrey is a White Sheep among Black. I still wonder whether Neal gave me the Gem under her advice, or as part of his own schemes. If it is truly the Agent's wish to bring the Sheep around to her idealism, she will have her work cut out for her.

That is no fault of her own. Nephelim. Seraph. I tried to teach them honor and sacrifice. Only when it was too late that I realized these things must be learned for oneself. I wish you the best of luck in doing so, Lionel.

Matt is someone to be feared, and not only for her extraordinary combat skills. She can actually call upon people with administrative authority. We're talking the rest of the US government. So be on your best behavior, people.

- Probationary Agent (Melanie) Caffrey, "Red King", Black Sheep Unit

quote:

Name: Lionel Caffrey
Look: Man, determined face, tailored suit.

Ratings:
Charm -1
Cool +2
Sharp +1
Tough +1
Weird 0

Agency:
Decide who it is you work for. Are they a black-budget government department, a secret military unit, a clandestine police team, a private individual’s crusade, a corporation, a scientific team, or what? Is the Agency’s goal to: destroy monsters, study the supernatural, protect people, gain power, or something else? Pick two resource tags for the Agency, and two red tape tags:

Resources: Good intel, Well-financed
Red Tape: Dubious motives, Inter-departmental rivalry

Moves:
When you deal with the Agency, requesting help or gear, or making excuses for a failure, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, you’re good—your request for gear or personnel is okayed, or your slip-up goes unnoticed. On a 7-9, things aren’t so great. You might get chewed out by your superiors and there’ll be fallout, but you get what you need for the job. On a miss, you screwed up: you might be suspended or under investigation, or just in the doghouse. You certainly aren’t going to get any help until you sort it all out.

Protective Aura(Battlefield Awareness):
You always know what’s happening around you, and what to watch out for. Take +1 armour (max 2-armour) on top of whatever you get from your gear.

Medic:
You have a full first aid kit, and the training to heal people. When you do first aid, roll +Cool. On a 10+ the patient is stabilized and healed of 2 harm. On a 7-9 choose one: heal 2 harm or stabilize the injury. On a miss, you cause an extra 1 harm. This move takes the place of regular first aid.

Clairvoyance (Tactical Genius):
When you read a bad situation, you may roll +Cool instead of +Sharp.

Leave No One Behind:
In combat, when you help someone escape, roll +Sharp. On a 10+ you get them out clean. On a 7-9, you can either get them out or suffer no harm, you choose. On a miss, you fail to get them out and you’ve attracted hostile attention.

Gear:
Flak Vest (1-armor hidden)
Attack Spell (Grenade Launcher, 4-harm far area messy loud reload)
9mm (2-harm close loud)
Martial Arts Training (Big Knife, 1-harm hand)

History:
Go around the group again. On your turn, pick one for each of the other hunters:

- Your relationship with them has romantic potential. So far it hasn’t gone further.
- They’re on the Agency’s watch list, and you’ve been keeping an eye on them.
- You are related. Tell them how close.
- You met on a mission and worked together unofficially. And successfully.
- They’ve worked with the Agency before, and they’re well regarded.
- You were friends back in training, before the Agency recruited you. This could be military, law enforcement, or some weirder school: decide the details between you.
- They pulled you (and maybe your team) out of a terrible FUBARed mission.
- You got sent to “deal with them” as a hazard to the Agency’s policies one time. Tell them how you resolved this.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 13, 2019

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Zeva Tritos, the Crooked
Theme Song: Chase Me

So these hooded freaks come to me with a simple job, right? Break into the fancy school, plug a flash drive in to a computer in the principals office, knock over some petty cash or trophies to make it look like a casual, opportunistic burglary. Figured it was probably an identity theft scam. Only it turns out the fancy school is locked down like Fort Knox, the office is being watched by armed guards, and when I got in (of course I got in, who the hell do you think you're talking to?) the flash drive isn't just installing a keylogger or whatever malware, it unlocked...something. Something that was being kept in that computer for a reason. Big flash of light, and this tall dude in a suit is in front of me. Tells me the EULA on whatever software I activated sold him my soul, but that he'd do me a few favors in return. Said I should enjoy the school year, but that he'd be back. And then I woke up in the dorms, in a room with my name on it and everything.

I haven't been in school since my parents...stopped making me go. This place is seriously nice, though. No-one seems to notice that I don't belong, not yet anyway. Shame about the monster problem. Figure I can help with that a bit, maybe find someone who can tell me how to get out of this mess.

quote:

Uh...free ride from Satan? Probably a scholarship, I didn't see him on the alumni board. Legacies don't bug me, though. I got protection.

quote:

I was snooping in the sealed section of the library looking for some forbidden contract law books, and got attacked by ghosts. The committee had to pull my rear end out of the metaphorical fire.

quote:

Classes/Social Life/Extracurricular Obligations: Describe how one of these is going great, one is going fine, and one is actively a disaster

Social Life is going great! I'm a silver tongued charmer with a cool bad girl outsider image, the cliques can't get enough of me.

Classes are...fine. I should be further behind than I am but I guess dealing with the devil includes like, remedial schooling?

Extracurricular Obligations are a trash fire, on account of the monsters and the demands on my time from the Coven.

quote:

Mr Wainscot, Randolph J. is, and I poo poo you not here, the fencing coach and also teaches Literature. Really into Russian authors. His family is old money, the Academy is rumored to be doing them a favor by keeping him out of the public eye after he killed someone in a 'training accident'.

quote:

Alex Basil, Municipal Sanitation Clerk! She's in charge of the sewers, basically. And she hates the poo poo out of Aspire, because their system flushes in to the municipal one but they don't pay for it. That's how I got in the first place, incidentally. Didn't even have to bribe her or steal the key.

quote:

Name: Zeva Tritos
Look: Woman, Calculating Eyes, Street Wear

Ratings:
Charm +2
Cool +2
Sharp +2
Tough +0
Weird -1

Background:

Burglar. When you break into a secure location, roll +Sharp. On a 10+ pick three, on a 7-9 pick two: you get in undetected, you get out undetected, you don’t leave a mess, you find what you were after.

Moves:

Deal with the Devil: You sold your soul to the Devil. Pick one or two things you got out of the deal: skill (add +1 to two ratings). Payment is due either when you die or otherwise in a year.

Made: You’re “made” in a gang. Name the gang (the Coven) and describe how their operations tie into your background (they are the crime queens of the school). You can call on gang members to help you out, but they’ll expect to be paid. Your bosses will have requests for you now and again, but you’ll be paid. Minor trouble will be overlooked, but you better not screw over any other made gangsters.

Gear:
Baseball bat (1-harm hand)
.38 revolver (2-harm close reload loud)
Assault rifle (3-harm close/far area)

Heat

You didn’t get here without making enemies. Pick at least two of these and name the people involved:

A police detective, Thea Kojak , has made it a personal goal to put you away.

Cledus Darville is an old partner you betrayed in the middle of a job.

Underworld:

You were hired by something weird. Pick one: god (Sort of. The Devil?)

History:
Go around the group again. On your turn, pick one for each of the other hunters:

This hunter knows about your criminal past. Tell them what crimes they saw you commit.

This hunter was there when you decided to give up the life and hunt monsters instead. Work out together what happened.

This hunter is your younger sibling or child (possibly adopted). You look out for them.

This hunter is a cousin or more distant relative.

This hunter saved your life when a monster had the drop on you. Now you owe them one.

This hunter worked with you on a semi-legal or illegal job. Work out what it was.

This hunter is your moral compass. When you talk over things with them, their advice keeps you on the straight and narrow.

You’re powerfully attracted to this hunter. Maybe someday you’ll deserve them.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 9, 2019

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Alicia Cole, the Faerie
So, what kind of content do you create? How's it changed since you started school?

Who did you know online before you met them here?

Finally, What are you doing in the Intro of the Series?

Alastair Lusk the Mundane
So, you had access to those books of Mr. Benton's since you're in the SSC. You ever think of cracking them open and trying to figuring them out? You're probably smart enough, right?

Who's asked you for tutoring and what did they offer in return? Did you take them up on it?

The Spear of Ériu is shortsighted, huh? How'd that come up in your work with them?

Who came across some of your hunting hardware before you joined the SSC, and how did you smooth it over?

Becky Donegal, The Magic User
What made you want to go back and fight the ghoul after the others were safe? Sticking your neck out for other people doesn't really seem like something that comes naturally to you. No offense.

Who's your rival on the cheerleading squad? Is it friendly or friendly-as-long-as-everyone-else-is-watching?

Halla Petersen, the Exile
What do you do when you get homesick? What do you miss the most?

Aside from your amulet, what signs of Adromallion have you seen recently?

Victoria Morgan the Chosen
You're a lot tougher than you look, right? Is that a recent change or have you always been nigh-indestructible? When's the first time you realized you were different?

You say your parents would disown you if you became an actress. So, what is the plan for you, anyway? Do you have any real options?

Zeva Tritos, the Crooked
So, tell me about this Thea Kojak. How'd they get on your tail to start? How did you squirm out of their grasp last time you two faced off?

The Coven seems like a pretty big deal. Do you think they intentionally got you in a bind like that? Also, what have they done for you recently, and how did you pay them back?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Arturo "Cohete" Gálvez, the Wronged

quote:

Scholarship. I was recruited for the school wrestling team from my public school out in Arizona. I don't have many strong feelings about the legacy students, most of them leave me alone. Especially since the last time someone tried to bully me he ended up with a couple broken fingers and a knee sprain.

quote:

When I was a young child my parents and uncle were killed by a rather old and infamous vampire. I have spent my life since then training and preparing to find him and face him. I was incredibly "lucky" after the death of my parents to be adopted by an American family (old friends of my uncle, I later discovered) in Arizona. I'm not sure if the vampire knows I even exist, but leaving my home in Veracruz may have saved my life.

Shortly after arriving here at Aspire I was skulking around the dark alleys of Lindhaven trying to see if I could locate the presence of any vampires when I was approached by a member of the SSC. She told me they'd noticed my nighttime excursions into the town and that someone had already discovered my stakes and hammer hidden in the dorm. After that it was pretty cut and dry and I find myself having to attend meetings with people I never expected to interact with.

quote:

My wrestling practices are going great, and the coach thinks this team has a really good shot of winning big this year. My teammates were a little wary of me at first, but they've grown used to the mask and my personality.

My classes are, to my surprise, going fine. I've had to play a little bit of catch-up but I've done extremely well according to my teachers!

My social life is a complete disaster. I wear a mask most of the time and keep to myself. It's ok, I prefer it this way. The less distractions the easier it is for me to focus on growing stronger. It would be nice to have some friends, though.

quote:

Mr. Diego Hurtado is the elderly Calculus teacher on campus. Soon after I arrived here he began tutoring me in math a couple afternoons every week so I could catch up to my classmates, and he seems to really enjoy being able to speak with me in Spanish. I get the feeling it's been a long time since he spoke with anyone else who shares his language, though he never wants to talk about his past.

One day I was walking to my tutoring and as I approached his office I saw another student slip on some water at the top of the stairs right outside his door. Before anyone else could react Mr. Hurtado came flying out of his office and caught her! I had no idea a man that old could move so quickly, but when I asked him how he did it he changed the subject and asked me not to ever bring it up again.

Later I asked some of my wrestling teammates if they knew anything about him and they told me all anyone knows is he came here from Guatemala sometime during the early 80s. I should look into why someone would come so far from there around that time, now that I think about it.

quote:

Jasmine Harris is Lindhaven's best kept secret. She's a mechanic on the outskirts of town and it's thanks to her that my Bronco still runs. I owe her a lot and I've been paying her back by stopping by once or twice a week to help out with some odd jobs in the garage. As far as I can tell she doesn't mind the school or its students, although she got a little upset when I happened to mention Dr. Walker one day. I guess they have some sort of history?

quote:

Name: Arturo "Cohete" Gálvez
Look: Man, sad eyes, casual clothes

Ratings:
Charm 0
Cool 0
Sharp +1
Tough +2
Weird 0

Who you lost: My parents, Arturo and Paloma, and my uncle Benito
My prey: Vampires. I was unable to protect my family because I was weak, scared, and also 7 years old.

Moves:

I Know My Prey: You get +1 ongoing when knowingly investigating, pursuing or fighting the breed of monster that caused your loss.
What Does Not Kill Me...: If you have suffered harm in a fight, you gain +1 ongoing until the fight is over.
Safety First: You have jury-rigged extra protection into your gear, giving you +1 armour (maximum 2-armour).

Gear:
Leather Jacket (2-armor)
Wooden stakes and mallet (signature weapon)
9mm (2-harm close loud)
Wrestling moves (if acceptable, just a reflavored brass knuckles - 1-harm hand)
Plain pickup

History:
- They helped you at a critical point in your quest for revenge. Tell them what you needed help with.
- They stood between you and what you needed to find out. Ask them why.
- They also lost a friend or relative to this monster. Ask them who it was.
- Relations, close or distant. Tell them exactly what.
- You saved their life, back when they were a pathetic newbie hunter. Ask them what you saved them from.
- You respect their hard-earned knowledge, and often come to them for advice.
- They showed you the ropes when you were learning how to fight.
- They saw you absolutely lose it and go berserk. Tell them what the situation was, and ask them how much collateral damage you caused.

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 9, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Becky Donegal, The Magic User
What made you want to go back and fight the ghoul after the others were safe? Sticking your neck out for other people doesn't really seem like something that comes naturally to you. No offense.

I mean... I dunno. Like... Who would I have even called? The safety committee is this super secret THING nobody knows about. My parents are on vacation in Ireland, again, and are like a 3 hour drive if they were home anyway. You can't exactly call 911 unless you want a visit to a shrink. And campus security can't even keep bikes from being stolen or keep students from visiting town.

Somebody had to do SOMETHING. And besides, one of the girls is on the cheerleading squad. Crystal... something that starts with a V, I think? She's my main base for most of the flyer moves, she's way stronger than she looks and has NEVER dropped me. That's rare, and I'll be damned if I let some undead THING eat her.

Not when I probably maybe kind of might have been able to take it. I did bring a knife! I'm super glad someone else showed up though...

quote:

Who's your rival on the cheerleading squad? Is it friendly or friendly-as-long-as-everyone-else-is-watching?

Ugh. Tabitha.

So, like, whatever. We're still on the same team. And she's drat good. But she's just SUCH a bitch, and I like, TRIED to be nice but, ugh. Whatever. She's just snarky and rude, so I don't talk to her outside of practice and games. But, anytime I talk to a boy, she's right there like an hour later like some weird scavenger.

Like, I get it, she's worked super hard her entire life and is in the running to become captain next year, but so what? The entire squad has worked their rear end off. Just do your best and let the chips fall where they may. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna make and wear a luck charm, but whatever.

quote:

Getting thrown up on a perfect basket toss followed by a perfect front flip into a perfect scorpion with the other girls behind me, zoom in on a knotted charm I'm wearing. Then, cut to me at a desk, wearing my letter jacket, freezing a can of diet coke with my magic and then opening it, while reading a book of spells. The page is open to a design of the charm that says "Charm of The Mountain Hare", and in smaller font beneath it, "For agility, grace, and luck."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Capfalcon posted:

So, you had access to those books of Mr. Benton's since you're in the SSC. You ever think of cracking them open and trying to figuring them out? You're probably smart enough, right?

The SSC took them and put them...wherever they put stuff like that. They might be having us help them secretly fight monsters, but it looks like they don't mind having secrets from us. And honestly? I don't care to look at them. I mean, Mr. Benton was apparently using human sacrifice to do whatever magic the books talked about. I know I'm not as good as everyone else on the Committee, but I'll never resort to things like that. Look how Mr. Benton life ended - killed after trying to murder a student for power. I'm not as strong or powerful or possibly even as smart as he was. But I was, and am, a better human being than him.

Capfalcon posted:

Who's asked you for tutoring and what did they offer in return? Did you take them up on it?

Cody Shaw is here on a football scholarship and I never really paid much attention to the sports here. But one day he walked up to me and said "Hey," which first off surprised me when I realized he was addressing me. Then he followed up with "You seem really smart, can you help with this algebra assignment? I can...do whatever?" I don't think he knew what to offer, and I kind of stammered out a "Uh, yeah, sure meet me at lunch."

We met up and...well he might fit the stereotype of not being very smart, but he was nice to me and fun to hang around with so I offered to help him for the upcoming test. And he did fairly well. He occasionally makes a remark about "paying back the favor" by inviting me to a party but I don't know if I'd just be by myself or if...well...maybe he'd be free? He's single, I found out, but I have no idea if he's also into guys like me.

I guess the benefit of going around hunting monsters that want to kill you is that I have excuses for why I have to keep putting off taking him up on it.

Capfalcon posted:

Alastair walks by himself, fairly dull and grey looking among a crowd of more bright and cheerful students. He gets some books out of a locker and they fall to the ground. As he reaches for them, more arms come into view and help him pick up his books. He smiles for the first time and begins talking to the rest of the group as they head somewhere else together.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Capfalcon posted:

So, tell me about this Thea Kojak. How'd they get on your tail to start? How did you squirm out of their grasp last time you two faced off?

Detective Kojak has been on my case since my first encounter with the State of New York's juvenile justice system. I busted out of a foster home, and then it mysteriously burned down and I got hauled in for some questioning. She tried to play nice, all that 'I've been where you are, we can help you" crap that cops think makes them relatable. Anyway, the case fell down due to lack of evidence (because even then I was pretty drat good) and I guess she took it real personal that I didn't stick around to become Porky Junior. How she ended up following me to Lindhaven is a mystery, though. She collared me (literally, grabbed my shirt collar like a dog) leaving Blinkers Arcade one day, took me down to the station started asking questions about some missing people like I would have a clue. Did you know the academy has it's own attack lawyer? Mr Owston was there faster than you can say 'illegally questioning an unaccompanied minor' and bam, I walk out like nothing happened. Almost felt sorry for her.

quote:

The Coven seems like a pretty big deal. Do you think they intentionally got you in a bind like that? Also, what have they done for you recently, and how did you pay them back?

The Coven are...you ever see Heathers? OK, now throw in black magic and you have the general idea. I know some pretty rough people, professional criminals, perfectly happy to hurt you for money. These bitches make them look strictly amateur, and they hurt people for fun. Well, fun's the wrong word. It seems more like they have to cause a certain amount of misery, or they get antsy. I can't be sure (yet) that they were the ones who had me break into Aspire in the first place, but if it was them then using me to take a fall at the cost of my soul absolutely the sort of thing they do. Being in with them is pretty loving handy - they can get you anything, or get to anyone. I had the captain of the softball team bugging me for missing practice, mentioned it, and some pictures of her drunk at an off campus party get leaked. Of course, I had to help them out by installing some hidden cameras in a few change-rooms. Fair trade.

Capfalcon posted:

Zeva is in an air-duct looking through a grate as monstrous silhouettes pass below. When they pass she slides out of the duct into a room with a large mirror. She fixes/messes up her hair and uses a lipstick to draw little devil horns over her reflection After she walks away from the mirror her grinning reflection remains behind, eyes glowing with unearthly light.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 12, 2019

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

quote:

The Spear of Ériu is shortsighted, huh? How'd that come up in your work with them?

All the time, if you can believe it. Even just getting here was a task, they didn’t even get me a train ticket. Assumed I had a car or something, so I’m stuck hiding weapons in my luggage on the train and hoping for the best. Luckily didn’t have too many questions but it’s little things like that. This whole thing seems like some sort of test, but I don’t know the answers and I don’t know my grade.

Let’s go with something a little bit more life-threatening. Told me about some vampire in town and that they’d have a team to kill it or whatever if I could find it. One e-mail and done. No plan, no guidance, no signals. Just go find it. Nevermind that it’s a vampire and all I got is a spear, a crossbow and a little silver knife. Wasn’t even a vampire, some sort of chupacabra-looking creature going around, draining the local dogs.

Even when their info is good, it’s vague warnings and one-line orders. Like I said, probably a test. Probably doing better on this one than my math exam.

quote:

Who came across some of your hunting hardware before you joined the SSC, and how did you smooth it over?

Speaking of math, I got in on some study groups right away so I can maybe pass the class without cheating or whatever. One of the dudes in the group, either because of some sorta crush or just ‘cause he was wandering by. His name’s Steven Alvarez.

Anyways, he didn’t exactly knock, kinda stumbled into the room, and found my spear and my chain mail armor. After yelling at him a bit, I just told him I was into cosplay or whatever, right? Well, turns out, he’s into -actual- cosplay and things have been.. Kinda weird since. I mean, I definitely have no idea what I’m doing. I can mend clothes and whatever, but a whole outfit? At least there’s a reason I could use again. Better than pretending I hunt. Well, you know what I mean.

quote:

Keely is seen spinning a spear around while wearing a mish-mash of chainmail and modern clothes, sliding it between her shoulders and stabbing it straight into a dummy. A quick cut to Keely in normal school clothes, barging into someone off-screen with an awkward cringe followed by a smile.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla Petersen, the Exile

Capfalcon posted:

What do you do when you get homesick? What do you miss the most?

"I suppose you would find it a trifle strange for one such as I to think forlornly of the Earth from which I have come. The difference is stark - my world teeters evermore upon the edge of a knife, we few survivors constantly fighting, running, hiding, and dying, or have submitted to the capricious rule of malevolent gods that kill or enslave as the whim strikes them. I have seen the most of my friends and family, enemies as well, snuffed out. Forever it is twilight and darkness, even a scant few moments of rest are plagued with nightmares and sorrow.

And yet, for all that, there are things that this world is far, far worse at. The people here are in constant anger, spoiled children each who know nothing of true deprivation or misery, but who would gladly slit each other's throats if it gave them the slightest advantage. The glowing screens say as much, and my experience with the townsfolk and the nobles of Legacy would seem to mete this out. Indeed, this Earth too teeters upon the precipice, but it is a precipice of your own making, something you could have happily avoided and chose instead to launch yourselves into, only now realizing you have doomed yourselves.

This world is a lonely one, because there are none within it who truly know what it is to band together to simply survive. It is that camaraderie that I miss. That and what few friends and family I have remaining - the people of my Earth are, in truth, made of greater things than the people here, and knowing how unlike these people I am makes me wish to see an end to this entire enterprise, at times.

When those moments overtake me, I do well to seek meditation, quiet contemplation, or the practicing of my stances and strikes - one can never be too practiced with training, after all, especially when one is hunting demons. I...will confess...I have found one vice upon your world that is in rare, rare supply upon my world: books! Oh, what forgotten treasures you have upon your Earth - I am no bard, but I can certainly appreciate your bards - such poets of skill and emotion! If only my...peers here saw them as anything more than an obligation of their time. Shakespeare, Joyce, Angelou, Allende - oh so many more. I enjoy reading their words in quiet moments, when I feel lost - it takes me elsewhere. Not home, no, but, to other worlds beyond this one, ones that may offer some glimmer of hope."

Capfalcon posted:

Aside from your amulet, what signs of Adromallion have you seen recently?

"These things are subtle, you understand. Adromallion is a creature of urging, not of outright violence. I say that he besieged us for 30 Twilights - and I did not speak falsely, but, we knew not the name of our adversary until the time that he chose to reveal himself. His influence is as poison upon one's mind and one's soul. On my Earth, in Ebonmire, it is easy to see when someone is in the thrall of a creature such as he - the madness they display is shocking, one's vice suddenly brought to the forefront, a spasm of evil that one cannot avoid. And the night terrors - enough to keep an entire village awake with even one experiencing it, and as the demon puts his claws into the minds of more and more, his sickness multiplies. All this, and he brought forward an army of lesser fiends to keep us busy.

Fortunately, aside from the occasional imp, I have seen nothing I would specifically assume is from my world. And, not to put too fine a point upon it - your humanity here upon this Earth...makes it difficult to determine if one is being influenced by Adromallion, or not. But...

I have mentioned I have been keeping an eye upon the congregation of the local church. And I have reason to believe that at least one, perhaps two of their number have been infected. As I understand it, certain denominations of the Church of the Dead God are relatively quiet and mournful affairs - no doubt an echo of their deity's final moments and funeral thereafter. I will confess I have never attended the services of the Church, so I can only assume - but the reason for my reluctance shall become clear shortly.

Other denominations of your Faithful are more boisterous affairs - singing, clapping, even people claiming to be possessed by the disembodied spirit of the dead god and speaking in gibberish. Well, that last happened at the local Church recently - and from what I have discerned the "Catholic" denomination does not normally engage in such practices. But there was an old couple - the Freemans, well, the Mr. of the two, at least...

...well, he began speaking in tongues last weekend. And then died, hours later, at home. His wife claimed he was screaming some sort of terrible nightmare as he died. And if that wasn't enough of an indication, look at what the widow has been doing all this last week - buying a new wardrobe, a new horseless cart, a new large glowing screen...as if she was held in thrall by her own greed and gluttony, not even stopping to mourn her husband's passing.

I have been investigating these circumstances very, very closely."

Capfalcon posted:

Halla is standing upon a hill, overlooking the Academy, in her full armor, wielding her sword and practicing her strokes. As she swings once, it cuts to her in her own world, desperately in battle with some hellish monstrosity. She swings again and she is charging down the midfield, in her lacrosse uniform. She raises her stick, carrying the ball, and swings again, into a classroom, writing on a piece of paper with a pencil. She looks up from her work, raises an eyebrow, and sighs.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2019

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Capfalcon posted:

You're a lot tougher than you look, right? Is that a recent change or have you always been nigh-indestructible? When's the first time you realised you were different?

Who told you about that? I certainly never told anyone about it. Not that anyone would believe me if I did. I suppose it should have become obvious when I was growing up. Thinking back I never had a cold or flu last very long. Even all those times I fell off my bike when learning to ride it my scabs never seemed to last as long as some of the other children. I mean don't get me wrong those things still hurt while I have them, I just heal a lot faster.

But the first time I realised just how different I was was the family skiing holiday we took at our place in Aspen. Our ski instructor was supposed to be supervising me and my brother but the two of them were more interested exploring each other than the slopes if you know what I mean. So I was left unsupervised and on my own. Of course like an idiot I took on one of the harder slopes. I don't know exactly what went wrong but I hit a rock, hard and one leg went one way and the other went another. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure I broke both of them But as I lay there in the snow I watched as they unbent themselves and the pain faded. Which was impossible then. Now I think it's just magic which is just almost impossible.

Still even at that age I knew telling people I broke my legs but they got better would get me locked up either with a therapist or in some government lab somewhere. So I just kind of kept it quiet.

Capfalcon posted:

You say your parents would disown you if you became an actress. So, what is the plan for you, anyway? Do you have any real options?

Honestly? probably some do nothing job in one of the family owned companies or charitable foundations. I could have a real job in one of them if I wanted one but I have no interest in anything like that business is sooo boring. I like money sure but the earning of it is what he have managers for. As for options well what am I supposed to do? I'm supposed to tell my family to get lost and then I abandon everything I know, all my family all my friends and get a job in one of the local business with the rest of the losers? I could just see me working the night shift at what do they call those places 7-11s? I'd rather kill myself than do something like that.

[quote="Capfalcon" post="494049229"]
[quote]

Victoria is at a well-heeled party wearing a very expensive outfit and holding a drink. She' looks out of a window and sees some yellow eyes staring back from a bush. Giving a visible sigh she sets down her drink and steps outside. As a brutish creature leaps from the bush towards her she raises a sword seemingly out of nowhere in the path of the creature. As the weapon and creature collides it fades in to the next person.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Arturo "Cohete" Gálvez, the Wronged
What happened the last time being a social outcast made things hard?

What hints of vampire activity have you found around the school? How did the lead go cold when you investigated it?

Bianca, the Spooky
So, you've got a bit of a Dark Side. How does it make itself known to you? Why do you think you're getting these offers in exchange for powers?
Also, if you want to leave it mysterious as to the actual source, feel free to just say how Bianca perceives the offers.

Why'd you use your powers outside of monster hunting recently? Do you plan to do so again?

Kory Adamson, the Flake
What's your worst subject right now? What important project do you have coming up, and what's your plan for it?

Where is the Wirewolves' next gig? What made you think there was something spooky going on at the venue?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

Alicia Cole, the Faerie
So, what kind of content do you create? How's it changed since you started school?

I started off doing short videos on fashion tips — real DIY stuff to keep your average girl as fashion-forward as the world at large, without breaking the bank. I'll be real, though, there was a little magic involved. Comes with the territory! Anyways, as my audience grew, I started to diversify. Pop culture, current events — a particularly ill-advised foray into streaming games — and, really, just sharing what I think about the world. It's a funny thing. People love the videos where I just sit down and have a candid chat with the viewer. Your Instagram Lives and the like. It's like I'm talking directly to them, itches some part of the brain that just drives people wild. Engagement? Way up.

Now, being in Aspire, there are a few more content streams I've been experimenting with. First and foremost, an inside look inside the most exclusive school in America. People dig the mystique of the place and some of my early efforts have been pretty well received. I'm not that interested in muck-raking, but it really doesn't hurt to have the viewership to cancel someone if need be. The other one? It's a bit of a minefield, but I've been doing some shorts on common myths and monsters. Adapting some of the work I've been up to with SSC is a little challenging, but you know the truth is stranger than fiction. And, hey. It's part low-key community outreach, part capitalizing on the trends in the market. Horror is in right now.

quote:

Who did you know online before you met them here?

Alex Reynolds a.k.a. the permabanned streamer noobstomper58 a.k.a. the competitive legend deffcon, here on an eSports scholarship. So I mentioned that whole gaming thing, right? Not my scene, as it turns out, but I did make a few contacts outside my usual circles. Alex was one of them. We did some cross-over streaming to diversify our audiences and hit it off. Even after I called that whole scene, we kept in touch... though admittedly mostly via DMs and the like. It was definitely a surprise when we crossed paths during orientation!

quote:

Finally, what are you doing in the Intro of the Series?

Alicia walks through the crowded halls of Aspire, heads turning as she passes. The shot spins, transitioning to night, and focuses back on Alicia. She's battling some sort of terrible, shadowy beast, firing a dizzying array of magical blasts as she nimbly dodges its attacks. The camera focuses in on the energy charging in her hands as she prepares to launch a shimmering blast from both hands, then wipes to the next scene as color fills the screen.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

Bianca, the Spooky
So, you've got a bit of a Dark Side. How does it make itself known to you? Why do you think you're getting these offers in exchange for powers?
Also, if you want to leave it mysterious as to the actual source, feel free to just say how Bianca perceives the offers.

Oooh, that's one way to think about it.

The strange part is, I didn't used to have one. My abilities overwhelmed me, I spent all my time trying to dampen it out, to drown it with music, to avoid people. Now that I'm getting some control over it...

...you'd want to know, wouldn't you?

Does that girl like me? What's the answer to the test? Are those teachers secretly loving?

It's always there. The questions. The temptations, like a little devil on my shoulder telling me to look, to peek, to pry. To push just a bit more, dig into people's minds, find out what's really there and use it for my benefit, for my amusement.

I know I shouldn't. That'd be wrong. Wouldn't it? But nobody would know. And it would be so easy....

Capfalcon posted:

Why'd you use your powers outside of monster hunting recently? Do you plan to do so again?

Spencer Gordon runs this kind-of-illegit poker game for the seniors. But they're always looking for new marks to shake down for money, and when that mark's a girl...

So I got into the game, paid my ante. Knew the basics, won a couple hands, lost a few others. But...I knew they were better than me. These guys did this all the time. Rich assholes who like to shark the scholarship kids - I could feel the smug coming off them. So I cheated. Oh, they didn't know! And it wasn't hard. Like their hand wasn't the first thing on their mind.

The look on their faces! And I cleaned up too! I don't think they'd let me do it again...but I probably would, just for the satisfaction.

Capfalcon posted:

A long zoom into the outside of the school. Students move at fast-forward speed while the theme song builds to a cacophany of discordant voices. Bianca sits crosslegged, headphones on, eyes squeezed shut. Suddenly, silence. Her eyes snap open. A voice whispers, "Murder...."

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Gabriel "Gabby" Arachel the Divine

H-Hi! I'm Gabby, nice to meet you!

This is my first job on earth! It's a pretty big mission for a newbie like me, but, I'm sure things will go well! They sent me down to a group of people who already know about monsters and the supernatural, so I have a big step up - you should hear the horror stories I've heard from the experienced angels, having to manage everything on their own and hide the supernatural from all the humans all while trying to deal with having all this squishy, sloshy, yucky body! I'm lucky enough that my friends both already know about that, but one of them is also helping me to adapt, getting me clothes, and everything. Don't I look great? Oh, yeah, right, first mission! This is my big chance to prove myself, apparently god has high hopes for me - but it's not like I've met them, we don't get to do that until we've handled a lot more than I have.

What actually is my job? Oh, well... I'm an angel! We do all sorts of things, but I've been sent down here to, it's a bit complicated, but, basically, there's something important going on at this school, I don't know what, but one of the their agents is here, trying to do something horribly wicked, and its my job to stop them and keep everyone in the place safe. Or at least stop them. Keeping them safe isn't technically in the job description? But, we're definitely supposed to, if we can, but if we can't, at least they go to heaven, so it's not so bad! Haha, that's what they say up there, anyway. It seems kind of wrong not to put saving people first, don't you think? But it really isn't my place to doubt, so, forget that! Sorry, I really am new at this, talking, thing, normally I'm a lot better at not communicating everything I think. There are so many things that come with having a physical body, like not walking around clothed in nothing but light (actually just being made of light) and food... wow... didn't know what I was missing there! Have you tried... popcorn? Amazing!

I see you've got some questions, lets see...

Oh, easy! I'm uh... hm. I don't... know... I mean, heaven pulled some strings when they sent me down here, so, I'm like, in? Let me check, I have some enrollment papers somewhere... Oh! Here we go, Legacy, the Arachel's have been attending this school since it was first founded! What do I think about Scholarship students? I... like it? Am I supposed to think something else about this? Let me check with my friends, I'll send a text real fast, okay? Hm, I don't really get it, but I'm not supposed to hang out with scholarship students? Except some of them are okay to? Humans are so confusing...

Did you write these questions for someone else? I am... an angel? But angels aren't spooky. I was part of the School Safety Committee as soon as I arrived, but - oh! That's right, right after I arrived here, I was still glowing with the light of heaven, instead of wearing clothes, and I ran right into someone, wreathed in a smokey haze. They took one look at me and ran screaming the other direction, but I followed the trail backwards, to their dorm room, it was full of trapped spirits! It was kind of lucky I did, actually, because I was able to use up the last of my holy raiment to purify them all and send them onward to the next life, instead of having to find out what was tying them to the world. The only problem was, the student I ran into came back at that point, leading a bunch of students and the rest of the Committee, and they saw me right as my raiment vanished! So I was just standing there naked as the student - they were a ghost too - passed on, and it would have been really difficult to explain if they hadn't figured out what was going on and made up an excuse! And covered me in a sheet. Not sure what the big deal about that was though. Fashion is really nice, I love dressing up, but I don't get why it's necessary.

Classes/Social Life/Extracurricular Obligations: Describe how one of these is going great, one is going fine, and one is actively a disaster. (Extracurricular: great, Class: mixed bag good/bad, Social Life: terrible)
It turns out that having a freshly made body made to swing a flaming sword at demons and other monsters is good for a lot of other things too - I'm the best batter on the school baseball team, and the woodshop teacher said I'm the best whittler they've ever seen - but the rest of these classes... math is just based on the fundamental rules of nature, so that's good too, but none of these sciences make any sense, that's now how the world works, and history, when did all this stuff happen? And why does it matter, if it was important, we definitely would know about it in heaven. But we don't know about clothes, and they are pretty fun... I don't get it! As for a social life... That's another thing I don't get!! I thought it was just the king of thing where you'd be friendly to people, and they'd be friendly back, but my friend said I just "scared them away". No one likes to sit with me at lunch besides the Safety Committee, and even then only some of them. It doesn't help that I keep messing things up. Only yesterday, I finally realized what those signs on the doors meant. I'm sure someone explained it to me before, but it didn't make much sense, and no one had cared until I was dressed up more "femme". So... I ended up setting off a lot of shouting and panic in the bathrooms.

Professor Des Karns teachers science - chemistry, I think they said? Aside from not making any sense - for one thing, the so called 'significant figures' even butcher math, something god built into the universe itself, how do you do that?? But beyond teaching a terrible subject, they're also kind of terrible too? Grumpy and rude, they snap at all the students, treating questions in class like monster attacks, and they even insulted these glasses I got - they're so cute! This is really unfair - uh, sorry! Sidetracked. But the students said they got the job, not because they can teach, which they obviously can't, but because they'd discovered several 'new elements' (what a ridiculous idea) during 'experiments'. They probably were sacrificing children to the devil, I bet they were! I'm going to tip the rest of the Committee off about them if they give me another F on my homework!

The pastor of the local church is really nice, not like most of the so called adults at school. Caroline listened to everything I said when I went there to compl-er, relax and unwind after my first few days in the school. I didn't meant to tell them all the, uh, secret... stuff, but if you can't tell a pastor that you're an angel, who can you tell? And they swore to keep it a secret, so even if they didn't believe me, they acted like they did. And in return, they told me a lot of stuff about their life, like, a confession, sort of, which is only fair, I know all about heaven! They said they used to hate the school, for bringing in so many rich people and taking jobs away from the town, but now that they're older, (already twenty five, that's soooooo old) they think it might be a good thing. There are some local jobs it creates, and the students spend a lot of money in town, which uh.... something I didn't follow about the economy, but, it's... good? And provides the people in the town a common enemy to unite against, instead of 'marginalized communities'.

The Divine posted:

Name: Gabriel "Gabby' Arachel
Look: androgynous femme, sparkling eyes, fashionable(?) clothes

Ratings: Charm-1, Cool+1, Sharp=0, Tough+2, Weird+1

Mission: You are here to fight the schemes of an Adversary.

Moves
Boss from Beyond: At the beginning of each mystery, roll +Weird. On a 10+, your Superiors ask you to do something simple. On a 7-9, they ask you to do something complicated or difficult. In either case, you get to ask them one of the questions from the investigate a mystery move right now. On a miss, you are required to do something terrible. If you do not accomplish what they’ve ordered, you cannot use this move again until you have made up for your failure.

Smite: Your body and divine weapon always count as a weakness against the monsters you fight. Your unarmed attacks are 2-harm intimate hand messy.

Lay On Hands: Your touch can heal injury and disease. When you lay your hands on someone hurt, roll +Cool. On a 10+, heal 2 harm or an illness, plus they’re stabilized. On a 7-9, you can heal the harm or illness as on a 10+, but you take it into yourself. On a miss, your aura causes them extra harm.

Gear
Flaming Sword (3-harm hand fire holy)
Divine Armour of Otherworldly Light (1-armour holy)

History
• If you are protecting another hunter as your mission, tell them this: You have a crucial role in what is to come. I am here to guide and defend you.
• They should not be involved in this situation: the prophecies didn’t mention them at all. This gets your attention but you don’t know what it means yet.
• They are, at heart, a good and righteous person. You must help them stay that way.
• They are an abomination, and should be destroyed. Except you can’t–work out with them why not.
• Their prayer (perhaps an informal or even unconscious prayer) summoned you.
• They fill you with feelings of sexual infatuation. You are confused by the associated mortal emotions.
• They saved your life, and you understand (intellectually at least) that you owe them for it.
• They’re the person you go to for advice on mortal stuff (e.g sex, food, drugs, television, etc).

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

A flaming sword? Divine Armour of Otherworldly Light? That all seems like it would attract a lot of attention! Where do you store them when they're not in use? What other "souvenir" do you have from home?

Since you're a "Legacy," what does everyone think about the Archaels? Is it true? Did they even exist before you came to the school? Did "Gabby?"

So, you're a teenage spy in addition being a scholarship student (theoretically, anyway) at one of the most prestigious and demanding schools around. When you find the time, how do you like to unwind?

How much do you actually report to Solomon about the School Safety Committee? Also, do you see yourself agreeing more with Nephilim or Seraph on their general approach to the supernatural?

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 11, 2019

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Capfalcon posted:

Kory Adamson, the Flake
What's your worst subject right now? What important project do you have coming up, and what's your plan for it?
Oh no... I kinda hate geometry. I was kinda doing it ironically since it's the "study of rock," but I got way over my head. Just, everything about it is so boring. I always conk out during class, so I didn't even know until last week that I was supposed to be keeping a journal of different kinds of rocks I find on leave. So like... I don't have any. Haven't even started. I was going to just call it a bust until Kam pointed out that rocks... look the same? Like, I could just look them up on the internet and make it look like I took a picture on my dorm's table. So I'll just do that; look up whatever rocks are in the guide the teacher gave me and print it out and... So I just have to... do that... You know, when I have time. Ugh... Editing pictures is a lot of work, and I always get distracted when I'm on my laptop. Surfing the internet for stuff... Geology! I always get those confused. Although I'm not doing great in geometry either.

quote:

Where is the Wirewolves' next gig? What made you think there was something spooky going on at the venue?
Oh my god, so there's this thing for the grand re-opening of the Lindhaven Transit Center and they asked us to play after the ceremony! It's just so much hype, y'know! The townies don't like talking about it, but the LTC went through an... emergency remodel. Old Jean hung around there talking to people about weird poo poo, when she wasn't talking to herself anyway. She told me once about someone she knew at the station, named Constance, who would meet her there and dance to the muzak. I talked to Destiny about it and she said she's seen Jean dancing... by herself. Who knows what exactly Jean was thinking, but she ended up under a bus. Put the LTC in hot water, made them put up signs and fences and stuff. But the indoor plaza is still a nice space and we might get on the news if we're lucky, so it sounds like a no-brainer to me!

quote:

A close-up on Ruby's bridge as Kory strums the opening riff of the song. After a round of seeing the other characters, we see a wide shot of Wirewolves playing at The Nest (faking along with whatever song is playing) when a few minions rush the stage. After setting Ruby in its stand, he performs a spinning lariat, then slips a guitar string out of his sleeve to try and strangle the next one. As he drags them off-screen, astute viewers might notice the symbol has taken up most of the frame. Kam plays a drum fill and the scene cuts away.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

quote:

So, you're a teenage spy in addition being a scholarship student (theoretically, anyway) at one of the most prestigious and demanding schools around. When you find the time, how do you like to unwind?

(Off the record)

Egregious misuse of Department resources. Or so they say.

We've got a couple of safehouses in town. More than a two man organization needs, if you ask me. The one I use already has a great security system, so all I need to do is set up the standard protection spells. Then I can collapse on a couch for a couple hours, watch YouTube, and not give a crap about my obligations.

Also, just because I can't join the Music Club doesn't mean anyone can stop me from sneaking into an auditorium to practice. Whether the scholarship worked out or not, I like playing the piano. I've attracted an audience, once or twice. Still not sure how I feel about that. I've been trying to tell myself not to worry about who's listening when I play.

quote:

How much do you actually report to Solomon about the School Safety Committee? Also, do you see yourself agreeing more with Nephilim or Seraph on their general approach to the supernatural?

Everything the SSC tells me, everything I personally do, and anything that seems hinky enough to get in trouble over.

And here's the thing. I'd agree with Seraph more...but she's an rear end. She thinks anyone without her training and DSO ID is an amateur. She'll work with whoever it takes to get the job done, but expect to hear that "kid, leave this to the pros" bullshit eventually. I don't think she's even a year older than me. Plus, I think Seraph is trying to keep all the DSO people at each other's throats. She told me Nephilim's real name the last time we ran into each other. It's Shinji Yamato. I'll follow up on it. But whether she's lying, telling the truth, or just thinks she's telling the truth, it doesn't say enough about her intentions.

My bet's on the last one. Nephilim doesn't really have approaches either. He has secrets. I know he's drat well-connected. I know he hunts anyone who abuses supernatural powers. And I know his people are everywhere. That's about it. He's friendly enough. The kind of friendly that comes from thinking you have the advantage. I don't trust either of them. I'm just pretty sure I know who I'm dealing with in Seraph.

quote:

Nephilim, flanked by two companions on either side, is perched on the roof of a tall building. They dress in dark clothing, and each of them has the Zodiac symbol of Aries somewhere on their outfit. They've picked Lionel, carrying a large messenger bag, out of a crowd of pedestrians. One of them wants to do more than simply watch. Nephilim sighs and waves his permission. The apparent student leaps from the roof, and his reflection on a window reveals blue skin and faintly visible wings.

Lionel's pace quickens as he rounds a corner onto a deserted street. His eyes briefly glow red, and a spark of the same color flashes over his arm. Before the Black Sheep can ambush him, a car, empty of passengers or driver, smashes into the rival spy. The winged man isn't down for the count. In fact, he stops the car with one hand. But his arm ends up stuck in the vehicle's hood, more than enough distraction for Lionel to get away, snarling a grin. Nephilim lightly shakes his head in disappointment.

As Lionel rejoins the mob of humanity, a girl with glasses and similar (though finer) features slips a pink umbrella into his messenger bag. Her expression is faintly annoyed, but concerned. It begins to rain.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 12, 2019

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

quote:

What happened the last time being a social outcast made things hard?
There is this girl. Jasmine Davies. We have Physics and History together and she's been the only person to not make fun of me or completely ignore me. She volunteered to be my lab partner at the beginning of the year and she always seems to smile when she sees me. So I...I thought it would be a good idea to make sure she's protected from vampiric attack. And I tried to give her a cross, but I knew it would be awkward to ask her to carry one around, so I got one on a necklace. I didn't realize giving another person jewelry is such a big deal here, though...and everyone started making jokes about us. Then she told me she's Jewish.

I still have the necklace, just in case.

quote:

What hints of vampire activity have you found around the school? How did the lead go cold when you investigated it?
A few weeks after arriving I started finding dead rats around the school. Rats that had been drained of all their blood. I spent a few days trying to see if there was any pattern to where the bodies were located, but they seemed to be all over the campus. Outside my dorm, near most of my classes, even in the wrestling gym! Then, they stopped showing up. I don't know if whatever vampire was draining them realized I had noticed or if it moved on somewhere else, but I know that at least for a few days there was a vampire in Lindhaven.

quote:

Wrestling practice has finished and I'm the last one in the locker room. I shower and head back to my locker to change, only to find a note stuck to the door. I pull it off and read it.

Your parents never told me they had a child, Cohete. I hope we can meet face-to-face soon, your family and I go very far back.

I'll be in touch.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Capfalcon posted:

A flaming sword? Divine Armour of Otherworldly Light? That all seems like it would attract a lot of attention! Where do you store them when they're not in use? What other "souvenir" do you have from home?
I keep my armor under my bed! I've heard this is a good spot to hide things - and it's wrapped up in a blanket and inside of a suitcase. It's easy to pull on, I just grab it and throw it around my body like a cloak, then it forms into the armor. The light from it was dimmed when I was first found, since I used it to purify those spirits, so luckily it didn't attract attention there. The flaming sword was a lot trickier to figure out, you're right about that! It only comes to life when I hold it, but we aren't allowed to have swords on campus. My friends on the Committee figured out what to do with it, we put it on the wall in the Trophy Room! No one ever actually looks at the stuff in there, they said, so it's perfectly safe.

My uh, souvenir, is my harp! It's actually a hand harp, not the full GIANT kind like I saw in the orchestra room, but it's got this lovely winged arch design, and the music is simply heavenly. Hehe. I like to play it if I start feeling lonely and miss being back home, it makes me feel like I'm back there and settles me down. I've heard a few other people passing by say they like it too, and the music teacher suggested I join the orchestra... Maybe I should, it'd be a class I'm good at, and playing music with the choirs of angels back home was one of my favorite things to do. Yeah, yeah, I think I will!

Capfalcon posted:

Since you're a "Legacy," what does everyone think about the Archaels? Is it true? Did they even exist before you came to the school? Did "Gabby?"

The Arachel's are one of the oldest families to attend Aspire Academy, back from when it was first founded. Every generation has enrolled here, and they donate large sums of money each year - they've got one of the buildings named after the family and another wing is named for one of the Arachel's who gave an especially large donation. People say that no one in the family has ever worked at a job, simply earning money from the interest of their already existing money, but many Arachel's have been quite important as explorers, scientists and local politicians - local elsewhere. More recently, aside from their attendance at the Academy, the last generation of Arachel's have kept out of the public eye. That's everything most people know, or say. Their opinion on that seems to change depending on who they are, a lot of scholarship students don't seem to like me for some reason, and some of the younger Legacy's don't either. But other one's seem to really want me to like them, and gather like butterflies fluttering around a flower.

Oh! No, no, they didn't exist at all until I was brought here! I'm not actually sure if any of them exist right now, either... But Gabby, er, me, definitely didn't! It'd be really messed up to take someone's body over, that's the kind of thing their Agents do. Not us!

Capfalcon posted:

My glowing angel body is standing in a void, which fades into a classroom, while the light and angelic form condenses down my body. I look around, confused and alone, and then the other members of the School Safety Committee come in around me, and I look more comfortable, starting to smile. Later, during the action shots, I swing my flaming sword through a shadowy body, then turn to put my hands on an injured friend, their face covered by the side of the screen to preserve tension, and the wound heals. Together, we turn back to face the latest threat!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So, given it's taken me most of the day to figure this out, I hope you all understand when I say just how hard it was to narrow this down to five characters.

But, the final five are:
Halla of the Rainsong Petersen, the Exile
Alicia Cole, the Faerie
Bianca, the Spooky
Becky Donegal, The Cheerleader Magic User

So, let's get started with histories.

In addition, I got access to the optional luck moves for each playbook. I think they're really interesting, but I'd like to see what you think before I implement them. I'm phoneposting at the moment, so I don't have access to the book. However, I will post them when I get back home, unless someone beats me to it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Alicia's History:
Halla tried to slay you, but you proved you’re on the side of good. Ask them what convinced them.

Well, there's a couple of things. I stopped Bianca from exploding her head all over the place, which is good, plus I had no goddamn idea what she was raving about when she woke up. First impressions aside, she's a little more level-headed than you think... but honestly, I think it was the makeover that made us BFFs. Turns out she looks pretty good in flannel!

• You saved Keely from another of your kind, and prevented reprisals against that individual creature (maybe it’s another good one, or maybe it has a hold over you).

You know that lady that comes in to model for the art classes? Yeah, she's a leanan sídhe. Her name's Ailis, she's a real sweetie, and she kinda accidentally got Keely with her glamour a few weeks back. Well, not so much accidentally as... it was a miscommunication, I think. I didn't really stop to hear the full story. Anyways, I got her to do me a solid and let Keely get back to the monster-slaying, but I also made Keely call things even. She really doesn't do any harm, outside a slight bit of energy feeding on the art department, and she's giving them all sorts of inspiration.

Becky is tied to your curse or origin. Tell them how.

Well, you know how her family is all witches? Irish royalty? Yeah, nah, not even going to sugarcoat it: way back when, her grandpa or grandma got with a fae. My mom would probably know who, but that's old news by now. Her magic has changed over the years so it's not quite fey workings, but there's a similar lilt to it when you listen to the flow of it all.

Bianca saved you from another hunter who was prepared to kill you. Ask them what happened.

Aight, yeah, keep this on the DL, but I'm taken. No good for the content game, but have you met her? Bianca is all tortured and brooding, sure, but her smile — yes, she does smile sometimes! — melts my heart every time! Plus she can punt Lady Thor across the room with her mind. Legit.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 16, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Becky's History:

• Blood relation, though you were out of contact for years. Ask them how they reconnected with you.

Keely is a... 2nd cousin? I think technically she might be an aunt? Look, we come from a very big family, okay?

• A comrade-in-arms. You’ve faced the biggest threats together.

Halla is a stone cold badass.

• They act as your conscience when the power goes to your head. Ask them about the last time this happened.

Bianca has a far more level head than I do.

• An old rivalry has turned into a tight friendship. Tell them what you once fought over.

Alicia and I bumped heads at first. We kept talking over each other at orientation, and there was this, in retrospect, SUPER dumb mixup where we both got assigned the same single dorm room. A really sweet corner room with a great view. And she kept trying to say I had it wrong, and I was telling her to get out of MY room and... well, turns out neither of us got that room. It was reserved for some relative of the headmaster, and somebody screwed up the paperwork.

Unused:
• Your magic-fueled rescue of them introduced them to the supernatural. Tell them what creature was after them.
• Mentor from another life. Ask them what they taught you.
• You thought they were dead, and now they’re back. What “killed” them?
• They’re an on-again/off-again love interest. Ask them what keeps you apart. Tell them what keeps you together.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 14, 2019

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Halla's History

When you met Keely, you immediately liked and respected each other.

Keely is one of the girls on the Lacrosse team. My first practice - and I do mean mine, not Halla Petersen's, after I had caught up with the rules, I had checked a defender as Keely was crossing midfield, and well, I put a bit of what I believe they refer to as 'oomph' into it, which garnered an approving nod of the head from Keely. Since then she and I have made a bit of a pair during games and have endeavored to spend a bit of time together outside of such. To her word, since we are both students of Scholarship, and not nobility, we have common cause. I don't particularly disagree, but truth be told I spend time with her for another reason: she has the makings of a warrior about her - more so than any other person I have met here.

Bianca had a vision, premonition, or prophecy that mentioned your exile. Tell them what the vision showed them about you.

Before the Imp and the imposition of the School Safety Committee, I had noticed a bit of Faerie Mischief about the Academy. In Ebonmire, the creatures are subtle, as their more vulgar displays of power are well-documented and properly countered by most free people. Here, however, a Changeling Trick is obvious. The way they draw people to them, the hypnotism in their words. And this one operated through the glowing screens without a care for subtlety or nuance. I tracked the creature for a day or two, until I finally found my way to one of the dormitory rooms. Apparently, the Changeling was in disguise as one of the students. Normally, I would not be so brazen as to engage a foe such as this in what I have learned has been referred to as "broad daylight", but, I was still unused to the customs of this Academy and as such thought it imperative to cut off the infestation before the creature was able to lure anymore victims back to the Faerie Realm or sacrifice them to one of its Dark Masters.

However, there was a girl there with it - Bianca, as I would soon learn. Something about her magic caught me off guard, and I was cast down. I dreamed a terrible, disordered dream, my past all jumbled up, the assault upon Hardholm and the possession and death of my ally - how his very flesh dissolved into the shadows and murk that is Adromallion - the demon's horrific body, a cross between a stag, a woman, and a bat. The blood, the sacrifices, the deprivation - the waning Twilights into Midnights, never a Morning to be seen. All of it.

When I woke up, I caught the look on Bianca's face, and it gave me pause. Somehow, she had seen all of it, too.

Alicia was the first person to take you in, explain the modern world, and learn about your origins.

Yes, well. After a...lengthy discussion about how she was in fact not in league with the Dark Old Ones and was not about to consume Bianca's soul or replace her with a Faerie Fetch, Alicia and I made some amount of peace. I explained to the two of them something of my home and how I came to be here (though I do not think Bianca required much of an explanation), and Alicia took it upon herself to correct some of the errors I had made in my understanding of this world. Apparently I did not have much of an "eye for fashion", though as I lack a need for corrective lenses, I fail to see what use my eyes have in clothing myself. And she explained to me how the communication stones work through numeric code - though I believe she primarily did so in order to assail me with endless updates as to her status and whereabouts for reasons I have yet to ascertain...

Becky showed understanding when you were confused and overwhelmed.

About a week after the entire experience with Bianca and Alicia, I had found myself, as I do many mornings, on the hillside overlooking the Academy. In truth, I cannot help but awaken every Dawn - the very concept is so alien to me the daylight disturbs my nightly slumber despite any effort I make to avoid it. So I have taken to jogging, pushups, practicing my swordwork and stances...

...and, watching the sun rise. Once or twice it has...caught me off-guard and caused me to weep. With terror, sadness, regret, guilt, and perhaps a bit of joy. It can be quite a bit to take in, even after some time with it. On this particular morning, I believe the Academy's troubadors were practicing some sort of dance routine for a sporting event nearby, and one of the troubadors, a girl by the name of Becky, either overheard me or saw me upon the hill. I...explained that I was, as she put it "homesick". I suppose she sees me as some sort of charity case, as I have come to understand that she is a member of the nobility. But, we talked and something about her demeanor put me at ease or at least distracted me from my sorrows. She made me promise her that if I ever felt ill for a lack of home, that I should contact her upon the communication stone.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 16, 2019

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bianca's History

• You are romantically involved with Alicia.

We keep it pretty quiet. It's early. It's...terrifying.

"Dating." Shudder. Just to put that word on it seems huge and significant, more than anything else I could do.

I always hear the chatter. Usually it's like being in a club, lots of noise, nothing distinct. Occasionally I get a flash I can't identify - 'Nice legs', 'strong arms', right? You probably do it a thousand times a day without thinking about it.

In the first month, I was just chilling, having lunch, and I heard this thought about blue hair. Blue hair? That's me. And nobody ever has those kinds of thoughts about me! And it kept going! About my look, about dressing me, about...undressing me. I was getting checked out. Such a weird feeling. A *very* weird thing to bring up with Alicia....

....we got past that, at least.

• You used your powers on Halla one time. Decide if it was for selfish reasons or not, and tell them if they found out about it.

Freakin' Halla. I know more about her now, fine. Still, hell of a way to make a first impression. Alicia and I were getting some personal time in her room, when all of a sudden this madwoman comes barging in with a loving broadsword all ready to "Vanquish the Half-Blood"....

....forgive me for being defensive! I'm not going to let anybody go off like that, especially not to my...to a friend. I don't even know how I did it, I pushed out and *smashed* her with my brain. Knocked her out cold. Jarred something loose too. I saw visions. Memories, of a different place. Halla's definitely not local.

• You’re old friends with Keely, and trust each other completely

Oh man, yeah, Keely, she's the best! She's a scholarship kid like me, and was actually nice to me when I first got here. We bonded over how obnoxious most of the Legacy kids were.

• You hope Becky can help you control your powers.

So you know Becky's a full-fledged witch, right? I mean I don't know her that well, but if anybody can help me keep things under control she can, right? I'm willing to put up with some perky pep-squadding for that.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 16, 2019

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Keely's History

• Friends with Bianca, but they first met you under your cover identity, and learned about the Sect later. Ask how they feel about that. (Messing with the timeline a bit)

When I first got here, I didn't know too many people. Actually only knew one, and I'll tell you later. But I met Bianca and we hit it off. Just two slightly misfit-y people with different hair who didn't really fit in all that much. Kinda superficial but turns out it was kinda awkward later. When both of us ended up in the S-S-C, we kinda had to open up about who we were. I mean, it isn't like she wouldn't have found out eventually, because it's all kinda obvious once you start spinning spears around and not really being terrified of creepy poo poo.

Halla is a fellow ancient weapons/martial arts club Lacrosse Team member.

Halla's real cool. We're both on the Lacrosse team. She checks harder than I do, I'm a bit faster on my feet. We're a pretty good team all together. Just wish we didn't have as many soft Legacies on the team.

Becky is described in the prophecies, but the role they will play isn’t stated.

Becky and I are cousins. Parents don't really talk all that much, because of the whole money thing. That's not that important, except when it comes to the Spear and Becky''s powers. Now, I can't be 100% sure it's her, it's a prophecy translated at least a few times, but it's talking about a woman throwing ice around, and I haven't met any of those before Becky. Something to do with some big fight. I really don't want to find out.

• You met Alicia researching mystical weirdness, and you’ve been occult comrades ever since.

We're supposed to be quiet about this, but right before I was invited into this whole S-S-C thing, I was looking into that vampire stuff, and for some reason, Alicia knew what I was talking about. Now, I don't think Instagram or whatever is all magic people, Alicia's got something going on. We're not like besties, but we get that this is important.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Link to IC thread here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887245