Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The once-paradisaical city of Xebico lies quiet and dark, and the stars above it are strange. Something new and very old now rules there. Its roads are stalked by strange things in moonlight, and though not all still living are madmen, the few who are not have still been touched, inexorably, by madness.

The full truth of what happened to proud Xebico would profoundly change any foolish enough in their curiosity, or forthright in their will, to seek it. But there is a history, whether any sane mind will ever discover it.

I'm recruiting 3-4 players for a Discord (+PBP, possibly) Game of Microscope: Chronicle. In it we will be writing the history of how the proud populace of a great civilization sought outer knowledge, and how they were doomed because of it. Basically, I want us to make our own off-brand Bloodborne. That means my core concept is going to involve cosmic horror and the hubris, whether well- or ill-intentioned, of flawed but proud people asserting themselves capable of mastering, or even understanding, the great dark of the cosmos. Does that sound interesting to you? Consider applying.

Microscope, if you've never played it, is basically a history-focused generative writing board game (similar but distinct from The Quiet Year, the other popular such game, in a few key ways). The Chronicle expansion / variant reduces the scope of the game, so that rather than incorporating all the great forces and change across an entire world over millennia, this game will tell the story of a city, from its founding to its inevitable and haunted end.

To do this, you break the history up into broad Periods (eg "Byrgenweth scholars excavate the Tomb of the Gods and begin investigating the properties of the Old Blood found within"), then Events within those periods (eg "Scholars inject the Old Blood into a common Spider, which grows monstrous"), and then Scenes when you want to get into exact detail, dialogue, and drama (these bits are supposed to be roleplayed with characters). You start off with a Period marking the beginning of the history and a Period marking the end, and fill in the space between them.

You can buy the rulebook for :10bux: here, but there's no reason we can't play from one book. In the end it's not a very complicated game (unless you endeavor to make it complicated in the name of fun). The big difference between Microscope and storygames like The Quiet Year is that while we are creating everything, everything must be defined, there is some room for ambiguity but not nearly as much as in other games.

Indicate interest in a post and I'll go ahead and invite you to the game's Discord.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd be interested in this, I haven't played Bloodborne or anything like it, but Microscope has always interested me.

blackknight
Oct 16, 2008
I'm interested but also have never played or read about Bloodborne.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cool! Knowledge of Bloodborne is definitely not required but familiarity with cosmic horror (Lovecraftian or post-Lovecraftian) lineage helps. The gist is that there are Entities and occult truths about the universe that exist outside of space and time. Learning those truths or contacting those Entities can grant magic / miraculous powers but always exacts at horrific cost sooner or later - usually the sanity of the seeker, her life, or both.

The root of that stuff is M.R. James, who translated a whole bunch of apocryphal books of the New Testament and let that expertise (and his conservative POV) heavily influence the seminal ghost stories he wrote. A scholar finds an extremely rare book that turns out to be haunted, etc. He pretty much invented "there are things that man simply shouldn't know and must be punished for seeking" as a concept.

But anyway, if you're familiar with, say, any of the popular conceptions of how Atlantis fell, you probably get the big picture here.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If for whatever reason you want to read Bloodborne's whole deal, here's a timeline of the setting, though there are still a fair bit of proper nouns.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I love microscope and would like to play in this game. I have a passing familiarity with bloodborne, and cosmic horror is my jam.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 7, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cool. Do we have one more taker? Provided this goes well (I’m hoping for a round a day or two days, since most turns will be summary prose), I might be persuaded to run two games instead of one.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'll take that last spot if that is alright! I'm very into Microscope and horror in all its forms. I'm also not familiar with Bloodborne, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ah, I see. In that case, my knowledge of Cultist Simulator will probably be a good substitute for making the lore and history of this city.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That will more than do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

here's our discord : *discord*

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 7, 2019